Prove there's a god.

Since: May 11

Cardiff, UK

#548198 Oct 9, 2012
Orangelion wrote:
<quoted text>
But what about a person who enjoys pulling humans apart and eating their hearts and stomachs when he doesn't know its wrong, he may not know he's wrong, but simply the act of killing a human, having that desire to kill them, that lust to kill them, should still make them evil, it is the heart itself, the evil mind to kill that makes them evil, not knowing its wrong. The same with Adam and Eve.
Your view of morality is very simplistic, do you believe that a 2 year old child innocently pulling the legs from a spider has the capacity to know evil?

If we look at a crime there must be 2 components for a crime to be a crime, mens rea and actus reus must be concurrent.

There must be guilty hands and a guilty head.

From where did eve acquire the capacity to know she was doing a bad thing before she had the knowledge which she achieved by eating of the tree which was the 'bad thing' gave her the knowledge of good and evil[after the fact].

It just doesn't compute on the most basic level.

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#548199 Oct 9, 2012
Orangelion wrote:
<quoted text>
But no one had such knowledge in those days to know of the things historians know of now, the bible is far too accurate and contains far too much historical detail and accuracy for its day, how else could it have been achieved, the authors must have had God with them, there was also 500 witnesses witnessing jesus returning from his death and from the cross out of his grave.
In actual fact, the Bible doesn't have any accurate facts which man could not have known about in those days. Claiming it does is a hoax started by some people who want others to think it does.

Have you ever listened to Zakir Naik, a former medical doctor in India who has quit medicine and spends all his time preaching about how the Quran has been verified so much by science?

If you listen to him and don't have a general science knowledge, he might sound credible, though terribly irritating to listen to, as he quotes every chapter and verse number of every sentence he quotes from either the Quran or the Bible (trying to impress with his memorizing these books to cover for his obvious complete lack of science knowledge). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zakir_Naik

Though he speaks with authority and cites various sources to back up what he says, including some stupid statement made by a professor of the University of Toronto, who was working in Saudi Arabia, and made (likely under duress) some irrational claims, which he since retracted, there is nothing credible about his claim, and even a basic science knowledge, and in most cases, just common sense would tell you how wrong he is.

One should not make statements that the Bible tells us true things about the universe that man only recently has discovered because that is a blatant lie. The Bible, though, does give us quite a bit of information about what people of the time believed to be true, which man has since proved isn't.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#548200 Oct 9, 2012
Orangelion wrote:
<quoted text>Your 16, how are you supposed to know that, you are obviously just
hearing what you've been taught, peer pressure is it for you? Listening to too many people your age on the internet making rumours have you? We wouldn't listen to you. And for years and years christians have found same-sex and abomination, the hebrews never did it, prove that! So how can Christians? Don't play with me innocent young virgin!
You're messing with the wrong dudette.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#548202 Oct 9, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>Wait a minute.

You typed words.

And I'm supposed to take that as evidence?

hmmm
You could look it up yourself, but we all know you're far too gutless for that.

“Spelin 'n' tpyin...”

Since: Feb 08

...are my strong suits!

#548204 Oct 9, 2012
scambuster wrote:
<quoted text>
I've been ok! I'm back... Sort of in smartass mode (well, a little more smart assed than I used to be). Still searching for the answer to the mysteries of the universe.
Hack any cool scripts lately?
Some have what it take to be a smart ass, some don't.

RE: Cool scripts.

Nahhh, not really. Well... cool, just not all that fun.

Been focusing mostly on Net security... ssh tunneling, VPNs, access tables, etc.

Tedious.

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#548206 Oct 9, 2012
MisterCharrington wrote:
<quoted text>
In 'those days' nobody knew where things were?
The authors "must have had God with them", now if only you could prove that.
The gospels were written long after the events they contain, so I have to ask how were the witness statements of those 500 taken by the gospel writers and how did he track them down? It's difficult enough to track down 5 witnesses today with all of the information technology available. A bronze age scribe tracking down 500 people 60 years after the fact when life expectancy was 35 years old(to be generous) is a feat in itself.
Maybe they all returned from the dead to tell their stories, but where did those 500 witnesses' statements go? I doubt there is a shred of proof that any of the Bible was written by anyone who witnessed anything.

“ Ah see's lanlubbers Cap'n BT!”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#548209 Oct 9, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
As I've said, just because animals do it doesn't mean humans are ok to do it.
A lioness will visciously kill a gazelle, holding it down by it's throat while another lioness will begin to tear it's guts out while it's still alive. Now, that IS natural, but that deosn't mean it's ok for humans to do it, too.
OK. why not???

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#548210 Oct 9, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Why do you think this is a good thing?
Do you like it when people's freedoms get stripped away?
I don't support all freedoms. Some are harmful. For example, I approve of guard rails on hairpin mountain curves rather than the freedom to slide of the road.

Do you support the freedom to have an abortion? Most Christians don't.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#548211 Oct 9, 2012
boooots wrote:
<quoted text>
Would it not be more logical to say that one believes what the Bible says, if that is the case, as regardless of whether it is a book of fiction (which appears to be the case) or a historical book (which believers in the God of Abraham and Christians do) it is still just a book written and printed entirely by man. A book is just natural materials, that someone printed words on. There is nothing magical about a book.
Yes, that'd be more logical. "I believe what the Bible has to say", not "I believe in the Bible"

Semantics, I guess. Blah

Location hidden

#548212 Oct 9, 2012
boooots wrote:
<quoted text>
If there is proof then why haven't you or one of the others here given us the proofs by now? You know, as well as I do, and every other sane person on earth knows, that one believes in God (or not) because there is no proof of a god.
We are arguing peoples beliefs here, not facts.
HARDLY BOOOOTS.

We are arguing preponderance of evidence of actuality vs. abstract(which has no ground in actuality). Therefore the result of abstract claims(actions) has to show bearing as actual resulting evidence to equate as evidence of argument. Otherwise there is no argument, nor contest for argument.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#548213 Oct 9, 2012
Black Thunder 42 wrote:
<quoted text>OK. why not???
You think it's moral for a human to eat a gazelle while it's still alive?
hellstitslap

Pittsburgh, PA

#548214 Oct 9, 2012
&li st=UU9kH2SkOySrbVPVyiate8OA &index=1&feature=plcp
Another Tasteless Joke for Santa if Santa comes to Earth 2012?

Location hidden

#548215 Oct 9, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, I can. I'm happy you have found "the one true god" like every other believer in every other religion. It's wonderful you get to experience such spirituality.
Despite your incredible experience, it's ethnocentric for you to decide that everyone is wrong, that they must be like you, that they must share your deity. Many of them have their own deities, and some do not want one.
In any case, I am convinced that he is certain that he will receive ALL the toys come christmas morn'!

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#548216 Oct 9, 2012
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't support all freedoms. Some are harmful. For example, I approve of guard rails on hairpin mountain curves rather than the freedom to slide of the road.
Do you support the freedom to have an abortion? Most Christians don't.
So, assume that 99% of gays are happy being gay, ok? So then you'd assume that the 1% isn't happy with it. What's wrong with them seeking help or therapy to dissuade their tendancies?

Location hidden

#548217 Oct 9, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You didn't say proof of God, you said proof of Moses...
There is, you've been shown, you've chosen to ignore.
You have extra-biblical proof that Moses actually existed???

“MEET KIKI -She Seeks Home”

With Established Harem

#548218 Oct 9, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You make HL proud.
.. changing a posters original remarks is a violation of TOS ..

.. reported ..

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#548219 Oct 9, 2012
Gate Keeper 1 wrote:
<quoted text>Have you noticed that whenever OCD leaves, Hukt appears.
Wait, you said that Hukt is HL

“MEET KIKI -She Seeks Home”

With Established Harem

#548220 Oct 9, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
So, assume that 99% of gays are happy being gay, ok? So then you'd assume that the 1% isn't happy with it. What's wrong with them seeking help or therapy to dissuade their tendancies?
.. what makes you think they don't ??..

“let's do this thang!”

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#548221 Oct 9, 2012
Black Thunder 42 wrote:
<quoted text>In any case, I am convinced that he is certain that he will receive ALL the toys come christmas morn'!
it ain't about "toys" or avoiding punishment as much as it's about being restored into a relationship that was lost and becoming who we were meant to be.

you'll never be able to relate to this as long as you're content to criticize from the perpective of the outside looking in.......

“Spelin 'n' tpyin...”

Since: Feb 08

...are my strong suits!

#548222 Oct 9, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
abcnews.go.com › Technology
Nothing on that page, in the Tech section, pertaining to Red-sea-parting
www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetec h/.../As-researchers-prove-Red -Sea-re...
Sorry...
The page you have requested does not exist or is no longer available.
www.techimo.com ›...› TechIMO Community › IMO Community
Nothing there pertaining to Red-sea-parting
www.youtube.com/watch?v=bR50uC _1Krg
An MSNBC clip... seriously? To their credit, they used the phrase “they think there might be a physical explanation for Moses' miracle”.

Cool... no god required.

“If a crossing actually took place here, any debris field of military artifacts should be found to the north of the gap,” wrote Han and Drews.

Still waiting.

You've checked out some of the other things PLOS has to say on “the religious minded”?
www.wired.com/wiredscience/201 0/09/red-sea-parting/
Did you read any of it, or the comments that follow? The claim is being critiqued, not advocated.
boingboing.net/2010/09/21/scie nce-behind-the-p.html
Ditto.
There ya go, google "About 316,000 results (0.35 seconds)" for "science proves the red sea parting".....
Who else, other than an apologist, would apply the scientific method to Bible stories?

I like how you googled specifically for “science proves the red sea parting”.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Christian Atheist debate 5 min Critical Eye 3,974
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 6 min Michael 603,417
Best MTS Converter for Mac! (May '10) 58 min jesson815 5
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 1 hr Stilgar Fifrawi 8,282
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 1 hr Soon Armagedon Day 41,157
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 1 hr Soon Armagedon Day 613,080
News The Latest: Husband: Kentucky clerk is 'standin... 2 hr Belle Sexton 5
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 5 hr gentlepplpleaser 177,894
Which is the Oldest Indian Language? Sanskrit V... (Jul '08) 6 hr waaasssuuup 7,643
More from around the web