“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

Since: Apr 12

Orlando but NYC born & raised

#525465 Aug 10, 2012
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
You too are absolutely correct.
Denial is weakness.
The thing is, do you really want to be in a position where you might say: If only I'd gone to the doctor sooner?

There is enough we do that we can later regret without risking inviting that regret.

And if not for yourself, take care of yourself and make sure you are okay for your loved ones!

:-)

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#525466 Aug 10, 2012
Black Thunder 42 wrote:
<quoted text> *Siiiigh* You are the one who injected the argument for love here, probably as a deflection from the original post(knowing full well that it's not a stat measurable item and can be argued in the same realm as your supernatural deity)...fail.
Now that I have taken your post and shown how it is used as a technique for narcsisstic subjugation infused within your scriptures, you are backpedaling....the obvious point "was" how "love" is used as that tool in your scriptures...not the exact count of the translated word.
There was no backpedaling on my part. I brought up love in a manner that it can't be proven. Yet we all knowit exists...

You tried changing the subject.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#525467 Aug 10, 2012
Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
A few years ago, while having a pushing contest with a goat in my barnyard, my shin bone snapped. An EMS ride, surgical rebar implant and 3 days in the hospital, I was out hobbling around on crutches. The bill came 3 wks later ....$60,000!!! Through magic behind the scenes hocus pocus and capitalistic tom foolery, the insurance company paid the reduced bill of $20,000. No individual would have gotten that price break.
Bologna. The government has fooled you. Just as the insurance companies argue the price down, so can an individual. You still had to pay $20,000 for a broken leg!!

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#525468 Aug 10, 2012
OCB wrote:
<quoted text>
And as I said earlier, when one loves something or someone, if they TRULY love something or someone, they are able to identify the flaws and faults of the object of their love and still love them nonetheless.
YA?

Prove it.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#525469 Aug 10, 2012
OCB wrote:
<quoted text>Or have a heart attack. Or get cancer. Or get hit by a bus.
Or any number of things that without health insurance result in catastrophic financial consequences for what is already far too many hard working and tax paying Americans.
It's easy to be nonchalant about something until one needs it and then seriously regrets not having had it PRIOR to needing it.
Boy, the insurance companies have got you scared... They win, huh?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#525470 Aug 10, 2012
OCB wrote:
Or can ANYONE please tell me if you see my posts?
I would hate to have been banned from Topix, but on the other hand, it would free up a lot of time for me to pursue other activities and most of which are more constructive than is posting on Topix.
Worried?? LOL, you should watch your "mouth".

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#525471 Aug 10, 2012
OCB wrote:
<quoted text>
As far as what GWB promised, what he did NOT promise was to leave this country in shambles, but that sure is what he did.
That's right, blame it all on Bush.'cuz Obama's doin suuuuch a great job, huh?

The Debt rose $4.8 trillion during the two terms of the Bush presidency. It has now gone up $4.9 trillion since President Obama took office, the fastest ever in US history. Thanks Hussein!!

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

#525472 Aug 10, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
YA?
Prove it.
Prove what? That to love something or someone means you recognize their faults and flaws and still love them warts and all?

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

#525473 Aug 10, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Worried?? LOL, you should watch your "mouth".
Back at ya.

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

#525474 Aug 10, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Boy, the insurance companies have got you scared... They win, huh?
Uh....no- not at all. Facing a catastrophic illness without health insurance is what is scary.

Hey- you wanna risk going bankrupt should the day ever come when you need a very expensive and life-saving operation and/or all sorts of treatments?

Go right ahead- chances are should that happen to you you will WISH you were dead.

You're foolish. And foolhardy. And a fool.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#525475 Aug 10, 2012
OCB wrote:
<quoted text>
While Obama's first term hasn't been as promising as I'd hoped, he IS on the right track and his heart is in the right place.
And I LOVE that the Repubs can't come up with one bit of personal info to attempt to smear Obama with- he is truly the personification of a good FAMILY man- a devoted and loving husband and father to a very lovely family!
# A good guy doesn't believe it is his obligation to bypass Congress in order to circumvent the law and force his will on the American people.

# A good guy doesn't sign laws to criminalize the First Amendment right to peaceably assemble.

# A good guy doesn't sign laws to criminalize the First Amendment freedom of speech.

# A good guy doesn't work “under the radar” to erode our Second Amendment rights.

# A good guy doesn't arm Mexican drug cartels with American weapons in order to bolster his argument for tighter gun control legislation.

# A good guy doesn't hide behind claims of Executive Privilege to cover corruption in his administration.

# A good guy doesn’t use government to impose mandates on religious institutions, forcing them to abandon their beliefs in favor of his political agenda.

# A good guy doesn't disregard the law whenever it suits his own selfish political ambition.

# A good guy doesn't use intimidation tactics to silence dissent.

# A good guy doesn't work to “fundamentally transform the United States of America” into a nation divided by envy and dependent on government programs.

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

#525476 Aug 10, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
That's right, blame it all on Bush.'cuz Obama's doin suuuuch a great job, huh?
The Debt rose $4.8 trillion during the two terms of the Bush presidency. It has now gone up $4.9 trillion since President Obama took office, the fastest ever in US history. Thanks Hussein!!
Oh- hush!

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

#525478 Aug 10, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
# A good guy doesn't believe it is his obligation to bypass Congress in order to circumvent the law and force his will on the American people.
# A good guy doesn't sign laws to criminalize the First Amendment right to peaceably assemble.
# A good guy doesn't sign laws to criminalize the First Amendment freedom of speech.
# A good guy doesn't work “under the radar” to erode our Second Amendment rights.
# A good guy doesn't arm Mexican drug cartels with American weapons in order to bolster his argument for tighter gun control legislation.
# A good guy doesn't hide behind claims of Executive Privilege to cover corruption in his administration.
# A good guy doesn’t use government to impose mandates on religious institutions, forcing them to abandon their beliefs in favor of his political agenda.
# A good guy doesn't disregard the law whenever it suits his own selfish political ambition.
# A good guy doesn't work to “fundamentally transform the United States of America” into a nation divided by envy and dependent on government programs.
I'm not gonna get into this with you.

You stated yesterday that you will not be exercising your PRIVILEGE to vote- a privilege that doesn't exist in SO many other countries but which you will willingly throw away- so what you think doesn't count.

Don't b*tch, whine or moan if you're not going to vote.

You don't count- nor do your opinions.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#525480 Aug 10, 2012
OCB wrote:
<quoted text>I'm not gonna get into this with you.
You stated yesterday that you will not be exercising your PRIVILEGE to vote- a privilege that doesn't exist in SO many other countries but which you will willingly throw away- so what you think doesn't count.
Don't b*tch, whine or moan if you're not going to vote.
You don't count- nor do your opinions.
I'm not voting for the president, dums ass. Why should I? I don't wanna have to "choose the lesser of two evils"...

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#525481 Aug 10, 2012
OCB wrote:
<quoted text>BTW, I WNAT you to change the wording in anyone's posts again.
Like that?

LMAO

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#525482 Aug 10, 2012
john poland wrote:
I would lik for someone oprov to e there s o God. I want them to explain how all the different thingswere reated. If Jesus was not the son o God and was notessureced on the third day and I am trying toive a goo christian life, who am I hrting by trying to bea good person. But if I am right, and He wa the son of God nd died for my sins, I will spen eternity in Heven whHim. Where will you spen eternity? I would not want to take that risk!!!
Why would you ask people to explain how all things were created, because not even the very elite scientists, who spend their whole working careers studying that, yet can do that?

We are pretty certain that the common Creation Story of the Bible is not how things were created because that would be creating everything from nothing by something that didn't exist before anything was created; an impossibility. Besides the Bible has been proved on so many levels to be unreliable, so it would not make any sense to treat it as a source of accurate information.

This interest in spending eternity anywhere is confusing. Have you any concept at all of what eternity would be like? Consider how long you have been alive so far. Consider how long the earth has existed - about 4.5 billion years - an unimaginable space of time.

How would one spend their time forever? What would one do? Why?

Could it be possible that life on earth is the whole time of our lives, and that everyday we live, it is to be enjoyed to its maximum, and that when our life ends, it will be like going to bed at night and not dreaming. A life lived well should not need an eternity in some "paradise". Unless our mental processes were completely different in this eternity, wouldn't an unending period be rather long?

Take the thing you do on earth that you find the most rewarding. Would you enjoy that if you did it constantly for an eternity? Perhaps, but even fun things get rather boring after a while; at least in this life.

Could it be possible that man imagined the concept of eternity to find something to justify his miserable life, which often he brought upon himself?

I don't know the answers to all these questions; I just question the thinking processes that make people want an eternity.

Location hidden

#525483 Aug 10, 2012
Christian Brother wrote:
<quoted text>So, you are saying that we should not provide care for the poor, and should lock them up.
No, try to follow. We have to give free education, free medical care, free services, etc. to illegal aliens. We also give welfare, cash and food, to able bodied 18 year olds and when the unemployment benefits were extended, they were extended beyond the benefit.
When our government stops spending my money on wars for oil, and killing people to country them, then they can come talk. When our government stops giving $150 million a year to the IGLA, a gay group, in the form of a grant, so they can act against my interest, then they can come talk.
When our government stops giving 800 billion to billionares, who send jobs overseas, then they can come talk to me.
No, we have country or government hospitals, for people who are found barely alive due to a catastrophe.
What the social communist want is for people who get county healthcare, to get my Cedar Sinai healthcare or access to my private doctors.
I suggest that you, seek an education from one of your atheist friends on this subject, Aura Mytha, because he is spot on and you are spot off.
You make a couple good points in that, but why mix in your good points with bigotry? Yes, your government should cut back on spending your money on wars they shouldn't be involved in at all, but how does that equate to taking away rights from your own citizens who just happen to have a different sexual orientation than the majority?

As for able bodied people being on unemployment or welfare, that is matter of there being jobs available, and affordable education so that these people can get these jobs. With the economy at a real low, and many people out of work, how are these unemployed people to find work, if more and more people keep losing their jobs. There isn't an unlimited number of jobs available, except if the jobs are created doing useful things, so that everyone can find a purposeful place in society, and also become a consumer of the products that these jobs will create.

You don't fix things in your society by discriminating against your own people though.
Reality

Madison, WI

#525484 Aug 10, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Sweet Tap dancing Jesus H Christ on a cracker did you flunk US History? I can go back to the time Kennedy was in office, and show you that each one of your points has been perpetrated by multiple Presidents, Obama is just carrying on the legacy. You really need to look back a few more than 3 years.

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

#525485 Aug 10, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not voting for the president, dums ass. Why should I? I don't wanna have to "choose the lesser of two evils"...
I KNOW who you're not voting for and I know you are not voting for president.

Why did you think I didn't already know that, MISS Riverside??

LOL!! I guess you NEVER have voted then for there is no election in recent years that hasn't been a case of voting for the lesser of two evils- LOL!!!

And you DARE to call yourself a "patriotic" American- throwing away your vote that people in many other countries fight to the death to have the privilege of doing.

At any rate, without voting, your opinion, your whining, your b*tching, your moaning and your kvetching mean NOTHING.

You don't want to use your voice for the change you want- then just STFU.

Location hidden

#525486 Aug 10, 2012
Brother Marine wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope, not confusing terms. The terms apostles and disciples can and often are used synonymously. That's okay. It's permissible as long as we don't refer to Paul as a disciple. Also, Paul did meet Christ- on the road to Damascus. That counts as a meeting. You'll disagree, but you'll be wrong.
<quoted text>
Again, Ooogah, you're seriously out of your element here. Just where did you get your information about lifespans in 1st century Palestine from? Whatever the source, it's wrong. John and Peter both lived to be old men. Peter was crucified as an old man. Paul was likely close to 60 when he was beheaded. As for memories, you're forgetting just how reliable oral tradition was in antiquity. It was highly accurate because it was repeated so often, and it was corrected within the communities. Eyewitness testimony in antiquity was held in very high regard. It's not the same as now.
<quoted text>
Just because neither author was alive at the time of the events, it doesn't mean the events didn't happen. I wasn't alive during the Battle of Oriskany. Yet I live just 8 miles from that battlefield of the American Revolution. Am I not allowed to do research and write an accurate historical account about it just because I didn't live back then? C'mon. Get real. Tacitus was a renowned historian in his time, and highly accurate. Pliny the Younger still had legal issues to deal with regarding the Christians in the area he governed. That's a lame argument. Also, this isn't a court of law, and the historical method DOES allow for hearsay. If history was written the same way that a criminal case is decided, beyond a reasonable doubt, we wouldn't have much history to discuss at all.
<quoted text>
And I bet the dog ate your homework a lot too.
BM, I am out of my element that is certain, but after reading your post, I did a quick google check to see if I could find sources confirming the end of the lives of Paul and Peter. It seems that most of the sources are biblical, and various religious scholars and different denominations of Christians have differing ideas as to how those two, assuming they actually did exist, met their ends.

There are accepted traditions of some believers or authorities, but I don't think any of them have factual documentation, and somehow I kind of doubt that sort of thing would be possible considering the times they would have come out of.

I can be corrected, because I am definitely not an authority of the lives of the 'followers' of the biblical Jesus after the end of the stories from the Bible.

I am just wondering if we are mixing what we believe, or want to believe, with what is possible to confirm?

I attended the death of my father, and with all but two of his 7 children, and with my mother, we all had our hands on him, during his death, and after his death, until such time as it was certain he was dead. Yet I doubt very much, if I could give an accurate account of that event, although I did document some of it immediately after in emails to other family members, which I still have copies of. Nor would I think that the events, as described by my mother and my other 4 siblings, would agree with my own account.

Yes, we could all attest to having been there, and that we had all seen him take his last breath, but could we actually prove in court that is true? Perhaps, if the court accepted each one of our accounts as legitimate proof.

But I am talking about witnesses to a death in 2002 of which all of the witnesses are still living. Still there will always be some vague doubts as to truths of our accounts.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Christian Atheist debate 5 min Porkpie Hat 1,081
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 10 min Estelle 596,698
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 15 min ChristineM 444,366
ye olde village pub (Jun '07) 19 min Ricky F 53,431
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 22 min Rosa_Winkel 100,770
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 25 min Porkpie Hat 272,099
gay bottom in gurgaon (May '14) 57 min Arun 289
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 1 hr Epiphany2 612,656
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 4 hr Henry_Joseph 177,231
Which is the Oldest Indian Language? Sanskrit V... (Jul '08) 4 hr winthanga 7,341
More from around the web