|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 4, 2012

Just Results wrote:
<quoted text>
Neither, it was atheism that destroyed the United States. Every great nation that ever existed was destroyed by that disease.
T

That comment is so absolutely ridiculous that I wonder why you would post it. Many great nations have risen and fallen in history. They have had many different gods which they followed, including the God of Abraham.

If the God of Abraham is the only real god, then all of these other great nations were already non-believers in the very beginning, so they could not have collapsed because they ceased to follow God, since they never followed God.

The British Empire collapsed, or was disbanded by the various nations under its power going independent, and those such as the USA rebelling against them. They did not become a nation of atheists prior to that collapse.

Nations usually collapse due to other nations that somehow gain more power and overtake or overthrow them, or as with many of the nations in the east that are following apart now due to corruption in their leadership and rebellion often by religious fanatics.

Likely most nations collapse because those in power let the power go to their heads and they do not treat their people well, and the sense of nationhood disintegrates, leading to break off groups which internally destroy each other and the nation.

“ Ah see's lanlubbers Cap'n BT!”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 4, 2012

Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
You want a link to something not recorded because it never happened?
That was the point , if there had been a refute in 421 that a atomic
had not exploded it might mean it did.
But if history did not record something and there is no refute of something . It could mean something was ...um...nothing.
It didn't happen.
LOL! Then I have reinforced your point!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 4, 2012

Persephone wrote:
<quoted text>
The representatives of the faithful here must annoy God, if He is real. For the double-act we have performing for us at the moment, I think it's a case of "box-ticking" evangelism - they feel duty-bound to have a go, to tick that box on the form, although their hearts clearly aren't in it. And of course it's a great opportunity for them to let of some steam under the guise of religious zeal.
My experience, too, is that the "real-life" faithful are simply too smart to waste their time in places like this, and wouldn't fly off the handle with someone just because they were an atheist. Nor do most of them, in this neck of the woods, suffer from such atrocious homophobia, or fantasise about Hell and the Apocalypse with such fervour.
Very perceptive...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 4, 2012

boooots wrote:
<quoted text>T
That comment is so absolutely ridiculous that I wonder why you would post it. Many great nations have risen and fallen in history. They have had many different gods which they followed, including the God of Abraham.
If the God of Abraham is the only real god, then all of these other great nations were already non-believers in the very beginning, so they could not have collapsed because they ceased to follow God, since they never followed God.
The British Empire collapsed, or was disbanded by the various nations under its power going independent, and those such as the USA rebelling against them. They did not become a nation of atheists prior to that collapse.
Nations usually collapse due to other nations that somehow gain more power and overtake or overthrow them, or as with many of the nations in the east that are following apart now due to corruption in their leadership and rebellion often by religious fanatics.
Likely most nations collapse because those in power let the power go to their heads and they do not treat their people well, and the sense of nationhood disintegrates, leading to break off groups which internally destroy each other and the nation.
This fella is in a rowboat with only one oar...paddling frantically(out of control of his emotions), and just going around in circles! It is comical and tragic at the same time.

“Spelin 'n' tpyin...”

Since: Feb 08

...are my strong suits!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 4, 2012

boooots wrote:
<quoted text>T
Ten Depressing Ways America Is Exceptional
----------

April 20, 2011

Recent research contradicts the fundamental tenet of American exceptionalism. A Brookings Institution report comparing economic mobility in the United States and other countries concludes,“…“Starting at the bottom of the earnings ladder is more of a handicap in the United States than it is in other countries.”

For Republican presidential candidates the phrase American Exceptionalism has taken on almost talismanic qualities. Newt Gingrich’s new book is titled, A Nation Like No Other: Why American Exceptionalism Matters.“American the Exceptional” is the title of a chapter in Sarah Palin’s book America by Heart.

And woe be to those who take issue with the phrase. 2008 Presidential candidate Mike Huckabee declares,“To deny American exceptionalism is in essence to deny the heart and soul of this nation.” 2012 Presidential candidate Mitt Romney insists,“The reorientation away from a celebration of American exceptionalism is misguided and bankrupt.”

What is this American exceptionalism Republicans so venerate? After interviewing many Republican leaders, Washington Post Reporter Karen Tumulty concludes it is the belief that America “is inherently superior to the world’s other nations”. It is a widely held belief. Indeed, most Americans believe our superiority is not only inherent but divinely ordained. A survey by the Public Religious Research Institute and the Brookings Institution found that 58 percent of Americans agree with the statement,“God has granted America a special role in human history.”

Let me make it clear at the outset. I too believe in American exceptionalism, although I don’t think God has anything to do with it. But I suspect my perspective will find little favor among Republicans in general and Tea Party members in particular. For I believe that America is exceptional in the advantages we’ve had over other nations, not what we’ve done with those advantages.

Indeed, to me there are two American exceptionalisms. One is the exceptionally favorable circumstances the United States found itself in at its founding and over its first 200 years. The second is the exceptional way in which we have squandered those advantages, in the process creating a value system singularly antagonistic to the changes needed when those advantages disappeared.

<more>
http://www.alternet.org/story/150691/we%27re_...

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 5, 2012

Just Results wrote:
<quoted text>
That is funny. I loved watching you bash the atheists with that one. You literally made a total mockery of them (again).
Good grief, who told you that?

You and "Moniters" appear to be equally blisteringly ignorant on this subject.

Human morphology is well enough understood, and the science of forensics well enough advanced, that age-at-death can almost always be pinned to within a decade.

Sheesh.

The Borderland of Sol

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 5, 2012

Just Results wrote:
<quoted text>
It's the Bible. The history book that stuns atheists with fear.
*helpless laughter*

And who told you THAT?

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 5, 2012

macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>*helpless laughter*
And who told you THAT?
Rob Roy said it....

If his fundieship cannot tell what is true from what is not, then I fear his judgement is beyond repair.

The Borderland of Sol

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 5, 2012

Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> Rob Roy said it....
If his fundieship cannot tell what is true from what is not, then I fear his judgement is beyond repair.
To put it mildly.

Hiya, Aura.
Benllech

Stoke-on-trent, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 5, 2012

I don`t have to prove that there is a God. You have to prove to me that he doesn`t exist.

“And My Fire Burns Brighter”

Since: Aug 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 5, 2012

I believe in Him, that is enough proof for myself.
So why do I have to prove to you that the God I believe in exists to you, when I already know He exists in my life?

The Borderland of Sol

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 5, 2012

Benllech wrote:
I don`t have to prove that there is a God. You have to prove to me that he doesn`t exist.
Oh bother. Another one.

That's called the Burden of Proof fallacy.

You maintain that there's a deity?

That's a remarkable assertion, but okay - prove it.

Since: May 11

Cardiff, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 5, 2012

JCMGeoff wrote:
I believe in Him, that is enough proof for myself.
So why do I have to prove to you that the God I believe in exists to you, when I already know He exists in my life?
Read the title of the thread.

The Borderland of Sol

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 5, 2012

MisterCharrington wrote:
<quoted text>
Good morning, Mr. C.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 5, 2012

MisterCharrington wrote:
<quoted text>
I have, but why try to make someone see what they refuse to believe in?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 5, 2012

macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Oh bother. Another one.
That's called the Burden of Proof fallacy.
You maintain that there's a deity?
That's a remarkable assertion, but okay - prove it.
I have faith, that is what most likely separates me between you, I need no physical evidence to believe there is a God, but people who think to literally, not saying it is a bad thing to do, might need or want some. I may not have physical evidence, but you can't say that you have physical evidence to prove to me that God does not exists. I leave you to your own belief, but I must ask, "what do you believe in?"

Cardiff, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 5, 2012

JCMGeoff wrote:
<quoted text>I have, but why try to make someone see what they refuse to believe in?
Romans 10

14 How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?

15 And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things!

Don't you obey your own scriptures? tsk tsk tsk!!!

Cardiff, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 5, 2012

macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Good morning, Mr. C.
'afternoon Mac'.

The Borderland of Sol

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 5, 2012

Judged:

JCMGeoff wrote:
<quoted text>I have faith, that is what most likely separates me between you, I need no physical evidence to believe there is a God, but people who think to literally, not saying it is a bad thing to do, might need or want some. I may not have physical evidence, but you can't say that you have physical evidence to prove to me that God does not exists. I leave you to your own belief, but I must ask, "what do you believe in?"
Atheist's Statement:

1. There is no evidence supporting the existence of a deity.

2. Therefore, there is no reason to believe in one.

3. Therefore, I don't.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 5, 2012

MisterCharrington wrote:
<quoted text>
Romans 10
14 How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?
15 And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things!
Don't you obey your own scriptures? tsk tsk tsk!!!
Being bound by a book the gives guidelines on how to try to live like Jesus does not make one better then another. I have read the Bible, but I don't live fully by it, but "My" God will not reject me, I have faith in "My" God. Just they way I was taught to believe. "My" God, He is not the same as all people who believe in God, that would imply that we all think so alike that we have only one vision of what God would be, people have the mental ability to think freely, therefore the image if Gd the people believe in so widely vast that no two beliefs could actually be the same. So it comes down to how someone learns to have faith about a God. That is why I believe in my God.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 501,181 - 501,200 of679,254
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

740 Users are viewing the Top Stories Forum right now

Search the Top Stories Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 4 min guest 511,650
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 4 min wilderide 216,283
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 5 min Dr_Zorderz 250,268
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 7 min Ratloder 109,358
Wake up, Black America!! (Sep '13) 15 min yon 376
Which is the Oldest Indian Language? Sanskrit V... (Jul '08) 23 min Neelakaran 2,913
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 26 min Liam 37,986
Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 1 hr wilderide 89,377
Girls snapchat names?(dirty) 2 hr JACK 216
•••
•••
•••