only those who follow Jesus

only bible = inerrant

only Republicans

only going to Heaven

Idi O Syncrasy

Patterson, CA

#265 Nov 17, 2008
Riverine Furbearer wrote:
<quoted text>the editors - they thought his death crucial to the storyline.
LOL, thanks I needed that.
While Jesus' crucifixion was definately crucial to the storyline, I have to disagree on the editor's being responsibile. Good take though.
Actually, I was interested in X's thought.
But I did enjoy the laugh, touche'.

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

#266 Nov 17, 2008
Idi O Syncrasy wrote:
<quoted text>
Hammurabi was the King of Babylon from 1792 to 1750 B.C. The Code of Hammurabi was a legal code based on "an eye for an eye" form of justice and had similarities to the Mosaic code of the Bible.
http://conservapedia.com/Hammurabi
It is unfair to state the that the Ten Commandments were "borrowed" from Hammurabi's code. The Mosaic code, or Ten Commandments. are dissimilar in content, yet only similar in approach or distibution of punishment.
Hammurabi's code was more of a guideline of commerce and govermental regulations, whereas the Ten Commandments dealt solely with divine and moral issues.
Further complicating matters is that the Exodus was about 300 years post-Hammurabi and Moses received the Commandments before there was any Babylonian-Jewish contact. It is more likely that the tone of the Ten Commandments were written down in the same "eye for an eye" form of justice, as it was the extant legalese of the day, as there was on other written laws at that time.
James Ussher, in The Annals of the World, placed the Exodus at 1491 BC. His primary assumptions consisted of:
1) Accepting 562 BC as the death of Nebuchadnezzar II.
2) A direct reckoning of the dates-of-accession of the Kings of the Divided Kingdoms Northern and Southern.
3) The Bible's explicit statement that Solomon broke ground on the Temple of Jerusalem exactly 479 years after the Exodus.
Your comparison would be akin to stating the Declaration of Independence was borrowed from the Magna Carta.
Judaic propaganda. It was a complete theft.

Location hidden

#267 Nov 17, 2008
Idi O Syncrasy wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL, thanks I needed that.
While Jesus' crucifixion was definately crucial to the storyline, I have to disagree on the editor's being responsibile. Good take though.
Actually, I was interested in X's thought.
But I did enjoy the laugh, touche'.
I have to say Idi that you have a sense of humor puts you way ahead of the "Class".

“xcntrik.wordpres s.com”

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#268 Nov 17, 2008
Idi O Syncrasy wrote:
<quoted text>
Who did?
Evidence leads directly back to the Romans.

Have a look for yourself.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows...
"Jesus' Arrest and Execution - Jesus' tumultuous last days in Jerusalem and the actual historical evidence of the crucifixion."

Contributing scholars:
-L. Michael White: Professor of Classics and Director of the Religious Studies Program University of Texas at Austin

-Allen D. Callahan: Associate Professor of New Testament, Harvard Divinity School

-Shaye I.D. Cohen: Samuel Ungerleider Professor of Judaic Studies and Professor of Religious Studies Brown University

-John Dominic Crossan: Professor Emeritus of Religious Studies DePaul University

-Paula Fredriksen: William Goodwin Aurelio Professor of the Appreciation of Scripture, Boston University

I'd be interested in your opinion.

“xcntrik.wordpres s.com”

Location hidden

#269 Nov 17, 2008
Idi O Syncrasy wrote:
<quoted text>
Hammurabi was the King of Babylon from 1792 to 1750 B.C. The Code of Hammurabi was a legal code based on "an eye for an eye" form of justice and had similarities to the Mosaic code of the Bible.
http://conservapedia.com/Hammurabi
It is unfair to state the that the Ten Commandments were "borrowed" from Hammurabi's code. The Mosaic code, or Ten Commandments. are dissimilar in content, yet only similar in approach or distibution of punishment.
Hammurabi's code was more of a guideline of commerce and govermental regulations, whereas the Ten Commandments dealt solely with divine and moral issues.
Further complicating matters is that the Exodus was about 300 years post-Hammurabi and Moses received the Commandments before there was any Babylonian-Jewish contact. It is more likely that the tone of the Ten Commandments were written down in the same "eye for an eye" form of justice, as it was the extant legalese of the day, as there was on other written laws at that time.
James Ussher, in The Annals of the World, placed the Exodus at 1491 BC. His primary assumptions consisted of:
1) Accepting 562 BC as the death of Nebuchadnezzar II.
2) A direct reckoning of the dates-of-accession of the Kings of the Divided Kingdoms Northern and Southern.
3) The Bible's explicit statement that Solomon broke ground on the Temple of Jerusalem exactly 479 years after the Exodus.
Your comparison would be akin to stating the Declaration of Independence was borrowed from the Magna Carta.
Conservapedia? right.

I read something a while back that I thought was rather poignant. It said that Hammurabi's Code was closer to a hand for an eye, than an eye for an eye. The later Mosaic laws showed the development of justice by more fairly equalizing the crime/punishment.

While reading Hammurabi's Code, I did find it interesting that there was recourse for those who made false claims. They would often bear the same punishment of the one they falsely accused would have.

I thought that was a good idea.
Halycon

Houston, TX

#270 Nov 18, 2008
Armo wrote:
<quoted text>
I have to agree with you.
But the bible says, Jesus died on the cross that our sins MAY be forgiven, it doesn't are, but MAY. this all depends on if we are able to forgive or not. The bible is full of the IF word.
Hi Armo,
Curious, could you quote me a verse, from the Bible, that says "our sins may be forgiven"?
Thanks
Idi O Syncrasy

Patterson, CA

#271 Nov 20, 2008
Xcntrik InVidor wrote:
<quoted text>
Evidence leads directly back to the Romans.
I'd be interested in your opinion.
From traditional accounts, the Roman soldiers were the ones responsible for nailing Christ to the cross.
Yet they were pawns in the service of Caesar, or Pontius Pilot.
The Roman authorities were disinterested in Jesus and His growing movement, as they considered Jesus just one more unruly Jew.
If not for the insistance of the Sanhedrin and the Pharisees, worried about their status and the retaliation of Rome, Jesus would not have fallen into the clutch of Pilot.

"I know that you are descendants of Abraham. But you are trying to kill me, because my word has no room among you."
John 8:37

"When it was morning, all the chief priests and the elders of the people took counsel against Jesus to put him to death.
They bound him, led him away, and handed him over to Pilate, the governor."
Matt.27:1,2

So the Jews have responsibility for the death of Jesus by the action of pressing Pilot and forcing his hand in action.

"Consequently, Pilate tried to release him; but the Jews cried out, "If you release him, you are not a Friend of Caesar. Everyone who makes himself a king opposes Caesar."
They cried out, "Take him away, take him away! Crucify him!" Pilate said to them, "Shall I crucify your king?" The chief priests answered, "We have no king but Caesar."
Then he handed him over to them to be crucified. So they took Jesus,"
John 19:12,15,16

But in reality, Jesus, God as Son, was in control of His destiny and was fulfilling the scriptural prophecy and a covenant.
Jesus knew from the beginning of His time on Earth what the end result would be of His obedience.
Willfully giving His life in ransom for mankind.
It was ALL mankind that was ultimately responsible for Jesus' sacrifice. The blood of the lamb of God was the sacrifice for the redemption of mankind.

"This is why the Father loves me, because I lay down my life in order to take it up again.
No one takes it from me, but I lay it down on my own. I have power to lay it down, and power to take it up again. This command I have received from my Father."
John 10:17,18

Then the resurrected Christ explained to the disciples;
"He said to them, "These are my words that I spoke to you while I was still with you, that everything written about me in the law of Moses and in the prophets and psalms must be fulfilled."
Then he opened their minds to understand the scriptures."
Luke 24:44,45

“xcntrik.wordpres s.com”

Location hidden

#272 Nov 20, 2008
Idi O Syncrasy wrote:
<quoted text>
From traditional accounts, the Roman soldiers were the ones responsible for nailing Christ to the cross.
The Roman authorities were disinterested in Jesus and His growing movement, as they considered Jesus just one more unruly Jew.
If not for the insistance of the Sanhedrin and the Pharisees, worried about their status and the retaliation of Rome, Jesus would not have fallen into the clutch of Pilot.
"I know that you are descendants of Abraham. But you are trying to kill me, because my word has no room among you."
"When it was morning, all the chief priests and the elders of the people took counsel against Jesus to put him to death.
So the Jews have responsibility for the death of Jesus by the action of pressing Pilot and forcing his hand in action.
"Consequently, Pilate tried to release him; but the Jews cried out, "If you release him, you are not a Friend of Caesar. Everyone who makes himself a king opposes Caesar."
They cried out, "Take him away, take him away! Crucify him!" Pilate said to them, "Shall I crucify your king?" The chief priests answered, "We have no king but Caesar."
But in reality, Jesus, God as Son, was in control of His destiny and was fulfilling the scriptural prophecy and a covenant.
Jesus knew from the beginning of His time on Earth what the end result would be of His obedience.
It was ALL mankind that was ultimately responsible for Jesus' sacrifice. The blood of the lamb of God was the sacrifice for the redemption of mankind.
"This is why the Father loves me, because I lay down my life in order to take it up again.
No one takes it from me, but I lay it down on my own. I have power to lay it down, and power to take it up again. This command I have received from my Father."
"He said to them, "These are my words that I spoke to you while I was still with you, that everything written about me in the law of Moses and in the prophets and psalms must be fulfilled."
Thanks for sharing your mythology, Drew.

I'll stick with history.

“xcntrik.wordpres s.com”

Location hidden

#273 Nov 20, 2008
Apologies, Idi

Not Drew.

I'm so embarrassed.

Next round's on me for you both.

Location hidden

#274 Nov 20, 2008
Idi O Syncrasy wrote:
<quoted text>
what tradtional accounts, oh you mean the fictional work called the New testament?

Since: Oct 08

Portland, OR

#275 Nov 20, 2008
I would think that based on the theology, the only people that could claim to be "true" christians would be those chosen by christ.

Seeing as how almost none of the people that claim to be christians follow the teachings of christ, and even fewer actually adhere to the teachings, I'd say the chance of there being more than a handful of people that are "true Christians" to be rather low.

There was no answer for me on the poll to choose.
I'm not even sure any "real christians" exist in today's world.

Location hidden

#276 Nov 20, 2008
Lillith1959 wrote:
I would think that based on the theology, the only people that could claim to be "true" christians would be those chosen by christ.
Seeing as how almost none of the people that claim to be christians follow the teachings of christ, and even fewer actually adhere to the teachings, I'd say the chance of there being more than a handful of people that are "true Christians" to be rather low.
I have found some - mostly Unitarians and Wiccans.

“Mellow”

Since: Mar 08

Location hidden

#277 Nov 20, 2008
"Christians live in judgment and die in fear."

-Buster Frank

laura beth s

“Tweety aka LBS, LBS and niece”

Since: Oct 08

New Orleans

#278 Nov 20, 2008
I dislike the way religious people promote hate. That makes no sense.

“There is no such thing”

Since: May 08

as a reasonable person

#279 Nov 20, 2008
laura beth s wrote:
I dislike the way religious people promote hate. That makes no sense.
I don't promote hate. I promote "sexy time".
Idi O Syncrasy

Patterson, CA

#280 Nov 21, 2008
Xcntrik InVidor wrote:
Apologies, Idi
Not Drew.
I'm so embarrassed.
Next round's on me for you both.
WHew.... you had me looking in the mirror for a moment.

NO worry.
Tall, cold I.P.A. for me. Thanks.
Idi O Syncrasy

Patterson, CA

#281 Nov 21, 2008
Riverine Furbearer wrote:
<quoted text>what tradtional accounts, oh you mean the fictional work called the New testament?
More than one tradition is based on those accounts.
There's no extant tradition older than that based on the whole of scripture that I'm aware of either.

But thanks for sharing your fictional belief, anyway.
Idi O Syncrasy

Patterson, CA

#282 Nov 21, 2008
Lil Ticked wrote:
<quoted text>
Have you found your time getting shorter than it used to be?

“Saw 'em April 15th 1977”

Since: Mar 08

Location hidden

#283 Nov 21, 2008
Lil Ticked wrote:
<quoted text>
Now THAT's what I'M talkin' about! ;>) How are ya Lil?
Faith

Dahlonega, GA

#284 Nov 21, 2008
Lillith1959 wrote:
I am a CHRISTIAN. I plead the blood that was shed for me.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 45 min Just Think 673,288
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 2 hr narcissisticpresi... 981,312
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 4 hr Highrolla90 445,812
News Judge allows Oregon resident to be genderless 5 hr discocrisco 1
News The First Market Test In The Trump Presidency? 5 hr discocrisco 1
News Twentynine Palms - DesertVictorville man suspec... 5 hr discocrisco 1
*** All Time Favorite Songs *** (Dec '10) 7 hr lightbeamrider 4,051
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 9 hr COOTERDOG 104,720
More from around the web