Who would like Darwins Theory of Evol...

Who would like Darwins Theory of Evolution taken out of our school books.

Created by Simply said on Dec 5, 2010

7,187 votes

Click on an option to vote

Yes, I didn't evolve from an ape.

No I did evolve from an ape.

“9/11 Twoof = STUPID ”

Since: Jun 07

Manhattan, New York

#50572 Jan 4, 2015
And lets not forget that Apes and Humans share over 99% of their genes. 
Man of Science wrote:
<quoted text>No, the simple cell didn't come around just by "chance." It came around through millions of years of random genetic mutation. It didn't just suddenly poof out of thin air as the cells we know today, they started off far more basic when they first began developing.
As for the coming around of proteins and early DNA, you ARE aware of the heavy repercussions extraterrestrial (primarily solar) radiation had on the young Terra, aren't you? Judging by what you've said so far, I'm gonna wager no. Without the atmosphere as it is, Terra was heavily bombarded with radiation, which would eventually trigger the earliest mutations - the bases of which are most likely to have arrived here on meteors that impacted the planet.
As for your God, the irony in your disbelief in evolution while claiming a lack of evidence is palpable.
And there is plenty of evidence to show that humans and apes evolved from a common ancestor. For starters, we actually *have* samples of the skeletal evidence to show that they exist. There is also the fact that other primates have a level of cognizance similar to our own - understanding sign language, for example, or going through the process of mourning (which demonstrates that they have a level of understanding to know the implications of death). The only real difference between our lineage and theirs is that somewhere along our evolutionary path we had a mutation that allowed us the hand-eye coordination for tool usage, which cascaded into many other evolutionary traits.

“Ignorance won't topple science”

Since: Jan 11

Terra, Sol

#50573 Jan 4, 2015
RADEKT wrote:
And lets not forget that Apes and Humans share over 99% of their genes. 
<quoted text>
There's that too, but since the person in question was complaining about genetic evolution, I figured it's be more pragmatic to point out the cultural and behavioral similarities over microscopic. After all, they say that it can be easier to change genetically than culturally. Similar behaviors can be a somewhat more concrete point, since two species sharing similar behaviors is an indicator of a similar psychology that would date back to earlier common ancestors.

“9/11 Twoof = STUPID ”

Manhattan, New York

#50574 Jan 4, 2015
So I wonder why they would say about the fact that 20 percent of the Neanderthal genome can be found in modern humans ...... what does it say that several humanoid types developed on earth and that modern humans are the only surviving human lineage ???
Man of Science wrote:
<quoted text>There's that too, but since the person in question was complaining about genetic evolution, I figured it's be more pragmatic to point out the cultural and behavioral similarities over microscopic. After all, they say that it can be easier to change genetically than culturally. Similar behaviors can be a somewhat more concrete point, since two species sharing similar behaviors is an indicator of a similar psychology that would date back to earlier common ancestors.

Terra, Sol

#50575 Jan 5, 2015
RADEKT wrote:
So I wonder why they would say about the fact that 20 percent of the Neanderthal genome can be found in modern humans ...... what does it say that several humanoid types developed on earth and that modern humans are the only surviving human lineage ???
<quoted text>
Ah, the tricky thing about that is that Neanderthal DNA would only be found in Europeans, since, at least as far as we know, Neanderthals were a Europe-exclusive hominid. I could take the time to explain for them the two parts of the Out-of-Africa model, the initial outspread (that was met with a retreat) and the secondary (which led to global population) and how the second wave either outcompeted or outbred (as an anthropologist, I'm more in favor of outbred) and how even the Anatomically Modern Human reflects this idea through skeletal polymorhism.

In spite of all of that, going off of what I've seen so far from their understanding of evolution and their thinking process, I wager they'd take the (uninformed) angle of "Neanderthals didn't exist" and maintain that we didn't evolve from our predecessors.

Terra, Sol

#50576 Jan 5, 2015
RADEKT wrote:
Ah, the tricky thing about that is that Neanderthal DNA would only be found in Europeans, since, at least as far as we know, Neanderthals were a Europe-exclusive hominid.
Quick amendment to this, since I worded it wrong. Neanderthal DNA would only be found in people with a European bloodline (Neanderthals counts as Europeans in this regard). Neanderthal DNA would not be found in people who have pure African or N/C/S American bloodlines.

Granted this number of people is much smaller than it was a few decades ago, but there are still plenty of people who don't carry Neanderthal DNA.

Since: May 11

New Zealand

#50577 Jan 5, 2015
Finally something intellectual in this debate. Science just makes sense. There is irrefutable evidence and lots of it.

Since: Jun 12

Shepperton, UK

#50578 Jan 7, 2015
Man of Science wrote:
<quoted text>No, the simple cell didn't come around just by "chance." It came around through millions of years of random genetic mutation. It didn't just suddenly poof out of thin air as the cells we know today, they started off far more basic when they first began developing.
As for the coming around of proteins and early DNA, you ARE aware of the heavy repercussions extraterrestrial (primarily solar) radiation had on the young Terra, aren't you? Judging by what you've said so far, I'm gonna wager no. Without the atmosphere as it is, Terra was heavily bombarded with radiation, which would eventually trigger the earliest mutations - the bases of which are most likely to have arrived here on meteors that impacted the planet.
As for your God, the irony in your disbelief in evolution while claiming a lack of evidence is palpable.
And there is plenty of evidence to show that humans and apes evolved from a common ancestor. For starters, we actually *have* samples of the skeletal evidence to show that they exist. There is also the fact that other primates have a level of cognizance similar to our own - understanding sign language, for example, or going through the process of mourning (which demonstrates that they have a level of understanding to know the implications of death). The only real difference between our lineage and theirs is that somewhere along our evolutionary path we had a mutation that allowed us the hand-eye coordination for tool usage, which cascaded into many other evolutionary traits.
Random genetic mutation is pure chance, nothing more. A mutation never produces an improvement, only damage. The 'simple cell' is very complex, you have not studied science, or you would know what Dr Francis Crick said - the chance of creating a single cell is 0.00%
The evidence you mentioned is mere supposition. Science requires proof, i.e., observation, which you do not have. The differences between humans and apes is that we know the difference between right and wrong. you can tell a small child that it may not do something, and why, and it will understand, but you cannot do that with an ape, they only live by the law of might is right, if an ape takes something from a smaller ape, that is fine, it is not theft. if an ape kills a smaller ape, that is not murder, it is ok. The real difference is that humans have God's holy spirit, we will be resurrected to a judgment, animals will not.
When St Peter meets you at the gates of heaven and you find your sins are not forgiven what will you do?
If you have any "evidence", then show it.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#50579 Jan 7, 2015
pmscomputers_com wrote:
<quoted text>
Random genetic mutation is pure chance, nothing more. A mutation never produces an improvement, only damage. The 'simple cell' is very complex, you have not studied science, or you would know what Dr Francis Crick said - the chance of creating a single cell is 0.00%
The evidence you mentioned is mere supposition. Science requires proof, i.e., observation, which you do not have. The differences between humans and apes is that we know the difference between right and wrong. you can tell a small child that it may not do something, and why, and it will understand, but you cannot do that with an ape, they only live by the law of might is right, if an ape takes something from a smaller ape, that is fine, it is not theft. if an ape kills a smaller ape, that is not murder, it is ok. The real difference is that humans have God's holy spirit, we will be resurrected to a judgment, animals will not.
When St Peter meets you at the gates of heaven and you find your sins are not forgiven what will you do?
Why? You didn't bother providing any evidence...
PELE78

New Zealand

#50580 Jan 7, 2015
pmscomputers_com wrote:
<quoted text>
Mutation isn't always harmful, it can be beneficial. Evolution occurs in steps of adaptations and mutations. Why do you feel that it is only people that have a "spirit " and only people that will be ressurected? Why don't animals? Dolphins are extremely intelligent creatures so are dogs. They are living conscious beings, why wouldn't God ressurect them? What makes you think God will forgive your sins and not those of a non believer? What makes you so arrogant and how can you know what choices God will make?

“A sentient umbrella speaks”

Since: Mar 11

Some stable somewhere

#50581 Jan 7, 2015
Man of Science wrote:
<quoted text>Quick amendment to this, since I worded it wrong. Neanderthal DNA would only be found in people with a European bloodline (Neanderthals counts as Europeans in this regard). Neanderthal DNA would not be found in people who have pure African or N/C/S American bloodlines.
Granted this number of people is much smaller than it was a few decades ago, but there are still plenty of people who don't carry Neanderthal DNA.
And Asians.

Some stable somewhere

#50582 Jan 7, 2015
Man of Science wrote:
<quoted text>Ah, the tricky thing about that is that Neanderthal DNA would only be found in Europeans, since, at least as far as we know, Neanderthals were a Europe-exclusive hominid. I could take the time to explain for them the two parts of the Out-of-Africa model, the initial outspread (that was met with a retreat) and the secondary (which led to global population) and how the second wave either outcompeted or outbred (as an anthropologist, I'm more in favor of outbred) and how even the Anatomically Modern Human reflects this idea through skeletal polymorhism.
In spite of all of that, going off of what I've seen so far from their understanding of evolution and their thinking process, I wager they'd take the (uninformed) angle of "Neanderthals didn't exist" and maintain that we didn't evolve from our predecessors.
This paper will be of interest to you:

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v505/n74...

Some stable somewhere

#50583 Jan 7, 2015
pmscomputers_com wrote:
Random genetic mutation is pure chance, nothing more.
Kinda.
A mutation never produces an improvement, only damage.
Nope.
The 'simple cell' is very complex, you have not studied science, or you would know what Dr Francis Crick said - the chance of creating a single cell is 0.00%
You should apply that to a "god did it" concept. The chance of Creating a single cell is 0.00%.
The evidence you mentioned is mere supposition. Science requires proof, i.e., observation, which you do not have.
We know a lot about mutations, how they work, what kind exist and so on. Tons of evidence, tons of observations.
The differences between humans and apes is that we know the difference between right and wrong. you can tell a small child that it may not do something, and why, and it will understand, but you cannot do that with an ape, they only live by the law of might is right, if an ape takes something from a smaller ape, that is fine, it is not theft. if an ape kills a smaller ape, that is not murder, it is ok.
Incorrect. Apes - and monkeys - act according to complex social rules. Chimpanzees, for example, navigate political relationships by forming alliances with key individuals, sharing food, protecting, grooming, aiding in violence against shared targets, etc.

Macaques have strict social hierarchies that are female dominant. One family ranks above others, and so on, until you get to the bottom ranking family. Within a family, the head female is highest ranking, followed by youngest daughter to oldest daughter. Males form a separate ranking system, but their status within the group depends on making friendships with high ranking females - and they do so via careful strategizing.
The real difference is that humans have God's holy spirit, we will be resurrected to a judgment, animals will not.
That's just a religious claim, entirely lacking evidence. Why should I believe you instead of any other believer of any other religion?
hahaha! Your religion's fear is not shared by me.
I can link you to any number of scientific articles. I just don't believe you will accept them.

Some stable somewhere

#50584 Jan 7, 2015
Man of Science wrote:
<quoted text>Ah, the tricky thing about that is that Neanderthal DNA would only be found in Europeans, since, at least as far as we know, Neanderthals were a Europe-exclusive hominid. I could take the time to explain for them the two parts of the Out-of-Africa model, the initial outspread (that was met with a retreat) and the secondary (which led to global population) and how the second wave either outcompeted or outbred (as an anthropologist, I'm more in favor of outbred) and how even the Anatomically Modern Human reflects this idea through skeletal polymorhism.
There's some evidence Denisovans and Neanderthals and H. sapiens all engaged in gene flow. I suspect that, while there was clearly admixing going on, there were likely also fighting over territory. Whatever the case, most of the archaic genes were eventually outcompeted by newer alleles.

The paper I linked above discusses that in more detail.

Check this one out: http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v468/n73...

It complicates the scenario by adding multiple populations with differing ranges and lots of migration. Very cool!
fkhead

Pineville, KY

#50585 Jan 8, 2015
Wtf

Since: Jun 12

Shepperton, UK

#50586 Jan 8, 2015
Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>
Why? You didn't bother providing any evidence...
the evidence is what dr Francis Crick said, also supported by Fred Hoyle and Wickramasinghe. and the programs on TV, did you not watch those TV programs of chimp societies, proving might is right. One incident showed an orphan injure a younger chimp, for which he got it in the neck from the young chimp's mother. She attacked him, leaving a severe bite, from which he might not recover. This is the only justice, the mother can do this because the chimp she attacked was an orphan, no-one to fight his battles. Chimps fight over mates, food and between groups over territory, a larger group might displace another group from its territory. These programs were screened in UK several years ago by researchers who were studying chimp society.
What evidence are you looking for?

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#50587 Jan 8, 2015
pmscomputers_com wrote:
<quoted text>
the evidence is what dr Francis Crick said, also supported by Fred Hoyle and Wickramasinghe. and the programs on TV, did you not watch those TV programs of chimp societies, proving might is right. One incident showed an orphan injure a younger chimp, for which he got it in the neck from the young chimp's mother. She attacked him, leaving a severe bite, from which he might not recover. This is the only justice, the mother can do this because the chimp she attacked was an orphan, no-one to fight his battles. Chimps fight over mates, food and between groups over territory, a larger group might displace another group from its territory. These programs were screened in UK several years ago by researchers who were studying chimp society.
Perhaps some evidence to support this little nugget that you tucked away in the middle of your post about chimps and mutations and whatnot - thinking no one would notice:

"The real difference is that humans have God's holy spirit, we will be resurrected to a judgment "

We’ll wait.

“9/11 Twoof = STUPID ”

Manhattan, New York

#50588 Jan 8, 2015
Humans also fight over mates, food and between groups over territory, a larger group might displace another group from its territory.
pmscomputers_com wrote:
<quoted text>

Terra, Sol

#50589 Jan 9, 2015
pmscomputers_com wrote:
<quoted text>
Random genetic mutation is pure chance, nothing more. A mutation never produces an improvement, only damage.
Man of Science wrote:
<quoted text>Antibacterial resistance, a developing resistance to a man-made substance - a modern-day example of microevolution.
http://www.cmaj.ca/content/159/9/1129.full.pd...
Random mutation allowed, for example, a single bacteria to resist antibacterials - it survives, reproduces, and all its offspring carry the trait and reproduce, to create even more that carry the trait, etc. The very definition of microevolution.
All those little traits add up over millennia, you know.
pmscomputers_com wrote:
The 'simple cell' is very complex
As it is now, yes. The first simple cell was not what we know it as today, far more basic.
pmscomputers_com wrote:
The evidence you mentioned is mere supposition. Science requires proof, i.e., observation, which you do not have.
Actually, I did provide evidence. Psychological, behavioral, genetic, skeletal...You just have to have more brain cells than teeth to understand it all which, based on what you've said so far, I'm not sure you possess. Regardless, just because you don't believe in it doesn't make it untrue.
pmscomputers_com wrote:
The differences between humans and apes is that we know the difference between right and wrong. you can tell a small child that it may not do something, and why, and it will understand, but you cannot do that with an ape, they only live by the law of might is right, if an ape takes something from a smaller ape, that is fine, it is not theft. if an ape kills a smaller ape, that is not murder, it is ok.
Everything you've listed here is entirely a social construct with no biological basis. In fact, a large majority of it has a basis in archaic understandings of the world around us so primitive that the people who first thought of them blamed everything they couldn't understand on the idea of "gods." If you go back far enough in the history of modern humans, the idea of "murder" is not the same now as it was back in - for example - the Dark Ages. Hell, these ideas differ from culture to culture even among modern-day humans. The difference between humans and nonhumans is not that nonhuman primates do not understand, it's that they have different concepts of the same ideas, akin to how the "finger horns" gesture in America signals that something rocks; but in other countries it's a derogatory gestures directed towards cuckolds.
pmscomputers_com wrote:
The real difference is that humans have God's holy spirit, we will be resurrected to a judgment, animals will not.
Again, a construct created back when early humans did not have an understanding of the world around them and how it worked. Back then? Rain was from God, so were clouds, and Terra was flat as well as the center of the universe. We *now* know that all of that is completely incorrect.
pmscomputers_com wrote:
I won't give two shits. Even being generous and assuming that the Judeo-Christian *does* exist, if it's anything like the monster that's depicted in the Bible, I'd rather not have anything to do with it. The ideology of egotistical tyrants and I don't mix.
pmscomputers_com wrote:
I've already presented much, but I guess it went over your head.

Microevolution and the development of antibacterial resistance:
http://www.cmaj.ca/content/159/9/1129.full.pd...
The gorilla Koko mourning Robin Williams:
http://www.today.com/pets/robin-williams-mour...

The last is not a scientific study, but events like this demonstrate that nonhuman apes have an understanding of death and mourn their dead - nowhere near as "primitive" as people like you believe.
author

Edmonton, Canada

#50590 Jan 16, 2015
http://www.climatedepot.com/2015/01/16/scient...

Take the global warming teachings out also.

“I beleave in reason not god”

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#50591 Jan 18, 2015
Simply said wrote:
Study the Bible everyday for a few minutes and before long you'll see the truth that God does exsist. Read one of these Bibles New Living Translation, NKJV, KJV,RSV and see for yourself instead of saying there is no God. That's the biggest problem on why people are lost, they don't study, it's as simple as that.
Reading the best is the road to athleticism the more you read it the more you know it can't be real

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 11 min RiccardoFire 105,642
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 15 min RiversideRedneck 49,149
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 22 min The Hangman 971,768
Love or money 28 min Kelly 1
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 29 min hojo 646,768
Play "end of the word" part 2 (Dec '15) 41 min WasteWater 2,094
Jilat ketiak!! apa komen anda? (Aug '10) 44 min love licking armpit 22
topix drops human sexuality forum.......this be... 2 hr taylorr 25
More from around the web