First Prev
of 1717
Next Last

“Incorrupta fides, nudaque veri”

Since: May 07

Vincit qui se vincit

#40470 May 26, 2013
Battle of the Bulge hero passes away.

Vernon McGarity, an Army sergeant who received the Medal of Honor for what was described as his intrepid leadership of his frozen, outgunned squad during the Battle of the Bulge, the last significant German offensive of World War II, died May 21 at a hospice in Memphis. He was 91.

He had cancer, said his daughter-in-law, Lee McGarity.

Sgt. Vernon McGarity, awarded the Medal of Honor for his heroic actions in World War II, died May 21 at 91.

He spoke rarely, if ever, about the events that began on the morning of Dec. 16, 1944. At the time, the Allies were pushing toward Germany as the Wehrmacht suffered setbacks on both the Eastern and Western fronts.

The Germans decided to launch a surprise attack in the Ardennes Forest in Belgium — an epic offensive that became known as the Battle of the Bulge. The most complete account of Sgt. McGarity’s actions there is the citation for his Medal of Honor, awarded to him by President Harry S. Truman after the end of the war in 1945.

Sgt. McGarity was positioned near Krinkelt, Belgium, with the 99th Infantry Division. Before the battle started, he was wounded in an artillery assault. He refused medical evacuation and instead returned to his men in the field, according to the citation, where “the fury of the enemy’s great Western Front offensive swirled about the position.”

Despite intense hostile fire, and despite the frigid conditions of the Belgian winter, Sgt. McGarity managed to rescue a wounded friend. It would be his first of at least two rescue efforts during the fight. As the night wore on, the citation reads, he “exhorted his comrades to repulse the enemy’s attempts at infiltration.”

The morning brought an even fiercer assault of German tanks and infantry, and Sgt. McGarity used a rocket launcher to take out the lead tank. His squad drove back the infantry and three other German tanks. Still under heavy fire, Sgt. McGarity rescued another wounded soldier and then took on an enemy light cannon.

“Now, could he take a breather?” reads a 1970 tribute to Sgt. McGarity in Checkerboard, a publication of the 99th Infantry Division Association.“Not on your life — his squad’s ammunition was running low.”

Sgt. McGarity moved 100 yards toward the enemy to retrieve a hidden cache of ammunition. By that time, a German machine gun was trained on what would have been his way out.“Unhesitatingly,” the citation reads,“the gallant soldier took it upon himself to destroy this menace single-handedly.” Armed with a rifle, he killed or wounded all the gunners.

Sgt. McGarity and his men fought until they had depleted their last rounds.

“I was still holding,” the (Memphis) Commercial Appeal quoted him as saying years later,“and did hold until such time as we ran out of ammunition and it was necessary to surrender.”

Sgt. McGarity was captured and spent much of the rest of the war in captivity, until the German surrender.

In all, the Battle of the Bulge resulted in as many as 81,000 American casualties and more than 100,000 casualties on the German side, according to the U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum in Washington.

Vincit qui se vincit

#40471 May 26, 2013
Sgt. McGarity’s “extraordinary bravery and extreme devotion to duty,” reads the citation,“supported a remarkable delaying action which provided the time necessary for assembling reserves and forming a line against which the German striking power was shattered.”

Reflecting on the battle years later, Sgt. McGarity told an interviewer,“The last words I heard were to hold at all costs.”

Vernon McGarity was born Dec. 1, 1921, in a small town near Savannah, Tenn. He worked with the Depression-era Civilian Conservation Corps before joining the Army at 21.

After the war, he served in the Tennessee National Guard for 28 years, achieving the rank of lieutenant colonel, according to his daughter-in-law. He worked in his home state for the Veterans Administration for 35 years, many of them at a Memphis hospital, where he helped veterans secure government benefits.

His wife of 52 years, Ethelene McGarity, died in 1998. Their daughter, Sharon McGarity, died in 1995. Survivors include a son, V. Ray McGarity of Bartlett, Tenn.

Besides the Medal of Honor, Mr. McGarity’s decorations included the Bronze Star Medal and the Purple Heart.

“Next time we feel like giving up, we’ll remember Vernon McGarity,” reads the Checkerboard tribute.“Next time we think we have an impossible job, with nothing but trouble and no hope of recognition, we’ll remember Vernon McGarity — he proved that we can win by coming back for more.”

“ASPIRE 2 INSPIRE B4 U EXPIRE”

Since: Jul 08

USA

#40473 May 26, 2013
Thank you to all the men and women who have or are serving with honor in the armed services of the free world.
May your days be safe and peaceful.
Warriors, come home soon to those who love, honor, respect and miss you.

A SPECIAL HEARTFELT THANK YOU TO THE GREATEST GENERATION EVERY PRODUCED BY THE GREATEST NATION ON EARTH. THANK YOU TO THOSE MEN AND WOMEN WHO FOUGHT AND DIED IN WWI AND WWII.

ALL GAVE SOME..SOME GAVE ALL!!
DENG

Nanjing, China

#40479 Jun 9, 2013
U.S. TROOPS AND SEX CRIMES GO TOGETHER.
DENG

Nanjing, China

#40480 Jun 10, 2013
Santa Monica Shootings: Father, Daughter Among the Victims

UNCIVILIZED: HOW ANYBODY MISS SEEING THE UNCIVILIZED PEOPLE HERE???
DENG

Nanjing, China

#40481 Jun 10, 2013
ONE-HALF OF THE SERVING U.S. TROOPS SINCE 1990 ARE DEAD NOW.
REDNECK HIPPIE wrote:
Thank you to all the men and women who have or are serving with honor in the armed services of the free world.
May your days be safe and peaceful.
Warriors, come home soon to those who love, honor, respect and miss you.
A SPECIAL HEARTFELT THANK YOU TO THE GREATEST GENERATION EVERY PRODUCED BY THE GREATEST NATION ON EARTH. THANK YOU TO THOSE MEN AND WOMEN WHO FOUGHT AND DIED IN WWI AND WWII.
ALL GAVE SOME..SOME GAVE ALL!!

Vincit qui se vincit

#40482 Jun 10, 2013
DENG wrote:
ONE-HALF OF THE SERVING U.S. TROOPS SINCE 1990 ARE DEAD NOW.
<quoted text>
lol, I don't think so!

Vincit qui se vincit

#40485 Jun 28, 2013
Bump for our Soldiers, you ROCK!!
Bruce Harbison

Korea

#40486 Nov 15, 2013
jeff wrote:
Just Another Soldier
I stand on a Pedestal you put me here.
You don't know me not even my name.
You call me a hero. I'm no better than the rest.
Many came before me and now lay to rest.
I wear a flag on my arm and my name on my chest.
I'm just another soldier.
I lay my life on the line for my country and this land.
I'm way across the desert fighting in the sand.
My brothers falling around me going home in flag draped box.
Yet I'm still standing solid as a rock.
I will not quit because my brother is gone.
I took my oath I will carry on.
I know some can't be here though they wish they could be.
I'm here for you my neighbor because freedom don't come free.
Don't worry that you can't be here my true brother or my friends.
I'm fighting in your place.
If I fall down and die don't let them call me a disgrace.
I'm fighting for the politician who gave himself a raise
but won't put on a uniform and join me in this place.
I will stay till my mission is done or until the war is won.
My family of brothers we will all come home.
For the ones who came before us and those yet to come.
We all volunteered, knew the cost,
and that not every battle would be won.
None is better than the rest.
We just do what we were trained to do.
Some will die and some will come home.
Remember we're all brothers and soldiers to the end.
The ones that died around me.
They are the heroes that I see.
They gave there lives so others could be free.
Their families cry for them while mine waits for me.
So please don't call me hero.
I'm no better than the rest.
When I die they will bury me in a flagged draped box just like the rest.
Please just don't forget to pin my medals on my chest.
Because I'm just another soldier.
No better than the rest.
Copyright 2005, Bruce A. Harbison, All Rights Reserved
Bruce Harbison is currently deployed in Iraq
http://www.soldierworks.com/poems.htm
YOU ROCK SOLDIER!!!!
HAPPY THANKSGIVING DAY!
Jeff I just seen this I am the Author of this poem. I wrote it in @005 when i was deployed to Iraq. I do not know where people get the copies of my poem from But I wanted to give my own thanks for you liking it and Sharing it. Still Serving currently in Korea about to head back to America. Thank you and God Bless
SGT Bruce A. Harbison U.S. Army

Vincit qui se vincit

#40487 Jul 21, 2014
Marathon Runners Give Tribute To 95 Year Old WWII Vet...

Vincit qui se vincit

#40488 Jul 21, 2014
Bruce Harbison wrote:
<quoted text>
Jeff I just seen this I am the Author of this poem. I wrote it in @005 when i was deployed to Iraq. I do not know where people get the copies of my poem from But I wanted to give my own thanks for you liking it and Sharing it. Still Serving currently in Korea about to head back to America. Thank you and God Bless
SGT Bruce A. Harbison U.S. Army
Thank you for your service!

Vincit qui se vincit

#40490 Nov 11, 2015
THANKS FOR ALL YOUR SUPPORT ON THlS AMERICAN SOLDIERS ROCK THREAD!!!!

A M E R I C A

S O L D I E R S

R O C K!!!!!!!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 1717
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 8 min Regina 653,947
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 8 min Catcher1 63,869
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 12 min Gabriel 973,771
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 16 min Pegasus 281,863
Seeking Females in kent 37 min Villain77 1
forex enigma free download 52 min amazon9 1
Queen Cleopatra was clearly Black. White people... (Aug '10) 1 hr gundee123 796
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 3 hr Lbj 106,491
More from around the web