Howitzer Battle game?
Apple II GAME

Green Bay, WI

#1 May 7, 2008
Need help remembering game name.

Does anybody know the name of an early game I once played on an Apple II?
It was during the days of the game Oregon Trail.

It was like an extremely primitive version of "Worms". My flatmate recently played an early game called "Scorched Earth" but this one I played was more primitive than that. There was no weapons upgrades.

Basically,
2 players. Each with one cannon. Adjust the angle. One to four "bags" of gun powder for power. Keep in mind to check the wind speed and adjust for it.

For the life of me I cannot remember this game's name.
I wanted to call it "Howitzer Battle", but cannot find reference to this anywhere.
Apple II GAME

Menominee, MI

#2 May 11, 2008
No one around here played home computer games in the early-mid 80s apparently.

“Winchester Model 1894”

Since: Apr 07

Roy, Washington

#3 May 11, 2008
I know it's not the same but, many years ago I happened upon a computer game where 2 gorillas would lob exploding bananas at each other from across town. You would have to adjust for elevation, windage, etc.

Good luck, If it was back in the 80s it probably won't work on the new OSs anyway. I've lost a lot of fav games due to OPSYS upgrades.
Darren

Candiac, Canada

#4 Nov 11, 2012
Apple II GAME wrote:
It was like an extremely primitive version of "Worms". My flatmate recently played an early game called "Scorched Earth" but this one I played was more primitive than that. There was no weapons upgrades.
Basically,
2 players. Each with one cannon. Adjust the angle. One to four "bags" of gun powder for power. Keep in mind to check the wind speed and adjust for it.
I wanted to call it "Howitzer Battle", but cannot find reference to this anywhere.
Did you ever find this? I remember Howitzer Battle...my brother played it a lot. Enter angle, strength and there was a wind factor. The projectile was a single pixel.

I remember ganking part of the program to get the explosion sound, to use as a snare drum for a (very forgettable) song I recorded in the late 80's.
Darren

Candiac, Canada

#5 Nov 11, 2012
Apple II GAME wrote:
Basically,
Found this reference...but no listing or file (you have to search for 'Howitzer' in the text)

http://www.scribd.com/doc/76025211/Micro-6502...
WORLD CAN DO WITHOUT YOU

United States

#6 Nov 11, 2012
The games produces war mongers boys !
Darren

Saint-jean-sur-richelieu, Canada

#7 Nov 22, 2012
Darren wrote:
<quoted text>
Found this reference...but no listing or file (you have to search for 'Howitzer' in the text)
http://www.scribd.com/doc/76025211/Micro-6502...
FOUND IT. If it's the one you were thinking of. It was called Artillery.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Artillery_a...
Corey Rueckheim

Winona, MN

#8 Sep 15, 2013
Apple II GAME wrote:
Basically,
I remember this game also. I have always remembered it simply as "Howitzer." I have searched all over for it and can't find it either. It was not the "Artillery" or "Super Artillery" game that can be found out there, as the two games are graphically different. I also remember specifically choosing the number of bags of powder, and "Artillery" does not do this. If anyone does find this game, please e-mail me at kornephoros@inorbit.com.
steve

Birchgrove, Australia

#9 Nov 29, 2013
I remember bags of gunpowder also. And having to allow for wind strength.
Was it Ka Pow Ee? Something like that.
steve

Birchgrove, Australia

#10 Nov 29, 2013
Or maybe that was the message flashed up after you destroyed your enemy.
LordCreampuff

Kearny, NJ

#11 Dec 21, 2013
The game was called "Howitzer Battle". It was a simple cannon game with basic terrain and wind. You entered the angle and power of the show and hit space to fire. It was an awesome game.

Unfortunately I have never found a real reference to the actual game.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing (Mar '17) 25 min Sources say 60,262
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 1 hr Message to Your M... 994,147
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 3 hr Faith 695,735
News US may never see another spiritual leader like ... 4 hr Doctor REALITY 2
Depressed girlfriend. Don’t know what to do 5 hr True Tamil Tiger 5
female,15,horny (May '15) 6 hr Actorman182 31
Do Albanian men like hispanic/latina women? (Aug '11) 7 hr Fooledthefool 98
wierd situation with my mom. (Jul '14) Feb 19 Pimpy 23
More from around the web