Do black communities *generally* acce...

Do black communities *generally* accept a white neighbor moving in?

Posted in the Top Stories Forum

Since: Jun 12

New Orleans, LA

#1 Jun 12, 2012
I'm a 25 year old male who moved from Long Island to just outside of New Orleans last August. I moved here because I wanted to since I was about 13 for various reasons, and got accept to Loyola for the fall '11 semester. Because I applied so late I only had about 3 weeks to find a place and move, and could only find a decent apartment that was within my price range in River Ridge, which seems to be pretty well mixed, although I don't see many of my neighbors in my complex that often. Anyway, when my lease is up in August I plan on moving into New Orleans proper, maybe an apartment, although I'm considering a lease-to-own option on a double that my boss is flipping in a highly predominantly black neighborhood in mid-city. I grew up in a basically all white middle class neighborhood on Long Island, though nobody in my family is racist that I know of, and I'm certainly not in any way. However, after reading a lot of posts on here, it seems like a lot of people do not accept people of a different race moving into their neighborhoods,especially black families moving into a predominantly white neighborhoods. I'm just wondering how often the opposite is true.
While walking around the city I interact with people of all races constantly, actually, a much higher percentage of my daily interations are with AA people, mostly do to the demographics of the area, and I don't (usually) feel any racial tension coming from the black people who I speak to, but I'm wonding if things will be different when I actually move into a "black neighborhood".
Not sure how relevent my appearance or how I carry myself is, but I guess I'll throw it in here in case people are wondering. I dress in what would be considered an urban sort of style (flat brim, slightly baggy tshirts, baggy basketball shorts, high tops) but I'm certainly not one of those people who "is trying too hard" to be anything (i dislike the term "acting black", in fact, most AA that comment on my style assume I listen to hip-hip (which i do, almost exclusively) but often seem to ask if I skate a lot (lip ring, some visible tattoos). Anyway, I know I'm getting off track, but I felt it might be necessary to let people know that I'm not the "typical lame white guy", and I'm not the "wannabe thug" or whatever.
My sole concern is that I will not be accepted by my new neighbors based solely on my race (just as many AA would be concerned moving into a predom. white neighborhood. I just don't want to buy a house later to find out that I'm not welcome for something that I can't change. Wondering what people have seenm, or how they feel personally, when it comes to a white person moving into predom black neighborhoods.

a few disclaimers:

white people- please don't tell me i don't want to move into this area based on anything other than how people will perceive me. that is all i'm interested in. i'm not interested in the racist comments. the area i plan on moving into is not the safest in the world by any means, but dont think this has to do with some myth about black people being natually geared towards violence. if i get robbed for being in a bad neighborhood, oh well. if i get hated on because i'm white, now that will hurt my heart.hope you understand why i don't care for the racist bullsh*t that many of you will undoubtedly spout.

AA- this has nothing to do with "gentrification". i myself and VERY low income, and I'm paying my college tuition through the GI bill. i'm simply looking to not rent anymore bc i feel like it's throwing money out the window. hoefully i will be able to afford a house in this area which i love by renting out half of it. i have no alterior motives, i assure you.

i know i left tons of stuff about myself and the situation out, but i'll adress them as they come since i feel like i'm already babbling

“Voters elect Big Bird”

Since: Jan 07

Dump American Eagle

#2 Jun 12, 2012
GeauxMets wrote:
I'm a 25 year old male who moved from Long Island to just outside of New Orleans last August. <editted for brevity....>
Sounds like you've pretty much made up your mind already,so anything anyone here says will be a moot point. I'll agree about discounting the bigots. But when/if you make your move take into the account the economics of the immediate neighborhood. The more poverty ridden,chances are the higher the crime stats. As far as the not being racist part of your spiel,we'll see how long this lasts after you've been mugged a time or two,or you come home to a house full of nothing..... Good luck.

Since: Jun 12

New Orleans, LA

#3 Jun 12, 2012
i'll agree with you, to a point. i wouldn't say anything on this post would be moot, since i haven't made up my mind entirely. my point is, i'm not asking based on the crime rate or anything else except how the black community perceives a white person moving into the neighborhood. just looking for a real answer, good, bad, or indifferent. and trust me, i realize that this is a race-based question...but i know how the hardcore racists already feel, both whites and AAs. just looking for some answers on how an average black community as a whole perceives this kind of thing.
i don't think i'm hard, and i don't think im immune from the violence that goes on in this area, but i'll be able to get over it if some negative things happen in my life. i just don't want to feel unwelcome because of the color of my skin, just like any other HUMAN. also, if it is the case that i might be unwelcome because of this, i don't want to feel like i am putting people out because of how they perceive my race. i wish we lived in a world where race did not matter, but unfortunately it seems to for a lot of people. i don't want to be where i'm generally unwanted, both because i don't want to disrupt people who have already made a life in a given area, and because i don't want to feel hated for no reason

“Voters elect Big Bird”

Since: Jan 07

Dump American Eagle

#4 Jun 12, 2012
GeauxMets wrote:
i'll agree with you, to a point. i wouldn't say anything on this post would be moot, since i haven't made up my mind entirely. my point is, i'm not asking based on the crime rate or anything else except how the black community perceives a white person moving into the neighborhood. just looking for a real answer, good, bad, or indifferent. and trust me, i realize that this is a race-based question...but i know how the hardcore racists already feel, both whites and AAs. just looking for some answers on how an average black community as a whole perceives this kind of thing.
i don't think i'm hard, and i don't think im immune from the violence that goes on in this area, but i'll be able to get over it if some negative things happen in my life. i just don't want to feel unwelcome because of the color of my skin, just like any other HUMAN. also, if it is the case that i might be unwelcome because of this, i don't want to feel like i am putting people out because of how they perceive my race. i wish we lived in a world where race did not matter, but unfortunately it seems to for a lot of people. i don't want to be where i'm generally unwanted, both because i don't want to disrupt people who have already made a life in a given area, and because i don't want to feel hated for no reason
Okay. Real world perspective here. 30 years ago when my wife and I first were married and having kids we lived in an older neighborhood in a midsized town. As the older residents passed away their hiers put the older homes on the market. The neighborhood became increasingly "diverse". To the point that after several years the "diversity" was waning.

It began small. A backyard garden raided,dogs hit with rocks,roving packs of unsupervised kids after dark,small items stolen from sheds/backyards. Then homes were broken into,drugs/dealing became commonplace. It came to a head one night when my wife was home,alone with two toddlers and some one was outside going from window to window,looking in. She locked herself in the bedroom with a kitchen knife until I came home. So be warned about being the "minority" in a situation where the "majority" residents either don't fear repercussions for their sins from you or have no fear of being caught by the law. If they ain't got and think you DO,you're a target. Just sayin'.
DavidTehGnome

Atlanta, GA

#5 Apr 18, 2013
My experience of living around a large black population was a real eye opener.I imagine it is similar for many young white suburbanites like myself who hail from white towns and have experience only with token black people.

Basically I am no longer naive or liberal or interested in the dominant American narrative as it relates to man and inborn nature, races, difference etc. I think you will find out soon that black people don't like white people and see them as prey whenever they look weak and that it is perfectly acceptable in black communities to call you all manner of racially derogatory names. You will be stolen from and possibly killed in the most extreme circumstance. Any women in your life will also be in great danger of being raped and I would bet everything I own that you will not live in a black neighborhood.

makysha

Princess Anne, MD

#6 Apr 18, 2013
New Orleans can be violent. Just stay safe and associate yourself with poitive minorities. All communities have a bad spot in town. Good Luck and be aware. Get to know your neighbors.
Cisco Kid

Modesto, CA

#7 Apr 18, 2013
GeauxMets wrote:
I'm a 25 year old male who moved from Long Island to just outside of New Orleans last August. I moved here because I wanted to since I was about 13 for various reasons, and got accept to Loyola for the fall '11 semester. Because I applied so late I only had about 3 weeks to find a place and move, and could only find a decent apartment that was within my price range in River Ridge, which seems to be pretty well mixed, although I don't see many of my neighbors in my complex that often. Anyway, when my lease is up in August I plan on moving into New Orleans proper, maybe an apartment, although I'm considering a lease-to-own option on a double that my boss is flipping in a highly predominantly black neighborhood in mid-city. I grew up in a basically all white middle class neighborhood on Long Island, though nobody in my family is racist that I know of, and I'm certainly not in any way. However, after reading a lot of posts on here, it seems like a lot of people do not accept people of a different race moving into their neighborhoods,especially black families moving into a predominantly white neighborhoods. I'm just wondering how often the opposite is true.
While walking around the city I interact with people of all races constantly, actually, a much higher percentage of my daily interations are with AA people, mostly do to the demographics of the area, and I don't (usually) feel any racial tension coming from the black people who I speak to, but I'm wonding if things will be different when I actually move into a "black neighborhood".
Not sure how relevent my appearance or how I carry myself is, but I guess I'll throw it in here in case people are wondering. I dress in what would be considered an urban sort of style (flat brim, slightly baggy tshirts, baggy basketball shorts, high tops) but I'm certainly not one of those people who "is trying too hard" to be anything (i dislike the term "acting black", in fact, most AA that comment on my style assume I listen to hip-hip (which i do, almost exclusively) but often seem to ask if I skate a lot (lip ring, some visible tattoos). Anyway, I know I'm getting off track, but I felt it might be necessary to let people know that I'm not the "typical lame white guy", and I'm not the "wannabe thug" or whatever.
My sole concern is that I will not be accepted by my new neighbors based solely on my race (just as many AA would be concerned moving into a predom. white neighborhood. I just don't want to buy a house later to find out that I'm not welcome for something that I can't change. Wondering what people have seenm, or how they feel personally, when it comes to a white person moving into predom black neighborhoods.
a few disclaimers:
white people- please don't tell me i don't want to move into this area based on anything other than how people will perceive me. that is all i'm interested in. i'm not interested in the racist comments. the area i plan on moving into is not the safest in the world by any means, but dont think this has to do with some myth about black people being natually geared towards violence. if i get robbed for being in a bad neighborhood, oh well. if i get hated on because i'm white, now that will hurt my heart.hope you understand why i don't care for the racist bullsh*t that many of you will undoubtedly spout.
AA- this has nothing to do with "gentrification". i myself and VERY low income, and I'm paying my college tuition through the GI bill. i'm simply looking to not rent anymore bc i feel like it's throwing money out the window. hoefully i will be able to afford a house in this area which i love by renting out half of it. i have no alterior motives, i assure you.
i know i left tons of stuff about myself and the situation out, but i'll adress them as they come since i feel like i'm already babbling
So you're trying to be a 'Browner'.

Why are you ashamed of who you REALLY are?

What causes your false guilt ridden angst?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 6 min Chess 104,525
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 1 hr RiversideRedneck 981,211
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 1 hr RiversideRedneck 672,928
Speedway- Have You Purchased a Money order and... (Sep '09) 2 hr Neil1210 28
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 4 hr bad bob 184,571
News Michael Jackson's doctor: 'I told the truth' (Aug '09) 4 hr Pres Mr Donald J ... 392
the BIGGEST "LIE" LAPD's Tom Lange EVER told! 5 hr Pres Mr Donald J ... 2
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 15 hr Rob Ford Sr 286,299
More from around the web