WAS A COACH

Lumberton, NC

#225 May 31, 2013
The coaches,The coaches sons,are the so called coaches buddies kids that make the all star teams are not the problem. THE WORST THING in youth sports today are the PARENTS PERIOD AND thinking their little Jonny is THE NEXT BABE RUTH IN BASEBALL and should have made the ALL STAR TEAMS. The parents WHINE,CRY and POUT worst then the kids. THE PARENTS need to GROW THE HECK UP and GET A LIFE BESIDES POSTING TO A BLOG!!!!!!!! LIFE IS NOT FAIR!! GET OVER IT!!!
Lacey

Lumberton, NC

#226 May 31, 2013
There really needs to be a change in the board...no coaches on the board..maybe former coaches..no one who has a child playing..that's the only way you can hope there to be impartiality and hope for true fairness. As long as it's run as is, there are always going to be a lot of unhappy kids and upset parents...and the decline in the number of kids signing up will continue until there is no reason to continue with LYBA. Isn't there anyone who cares??
Anonymous

Lumberton, NC

#227 May 31, 2013
Was a coach? Or still a coach? Your attitude about a kids' sport leads me to believe you have no business being involved in the first place. Your statement "Life is not d=fair!! Get over it!!!" only highlights the growing problem in Dixie Youth and LYBA today. The sport has become a hobby for these Dads/coaches, and they only care about their kids and all-stars. There is no teaching any more, no reinforcing the rules of the game, no expectation of gamesmanship. When a parent expresses concerns about a perceived wrongdoing, why would you lash out so severely, as you just did, Coach? I agree with Lacey's opinion that board members should not be active coaches. Inherently, every parent belives their child is great in their eyes. Why condemn and attack them for that? That is called being a good parent, always believing in your child. To tear them down and belittle them for expressing their concerns only proves that LYBA has strayed too far away. I fear LYBA will soon be a thing of the past. Maybe that's not such a bad thing, if you are the representation of their mindset, Coach.
heart broken parent

Lumberton, NC

#228 May 31, 2013
WAS A COACH wrote:
The coaches,The coaches sons,are the so called coaches buddies kids that make the all star teams are not the problem. THE WORST THING in youth sports today are the PARENTS PERIOD AND thinking their little Jonny is THE NEXT BABE RUTH IN BASEBALL and should have made the ALL STAR TEAMS. The parents WHINE,CRY and POUT worst then the kids. THE PARENTS need to GROW THE HECK UP and GET A LIFE BESIDES POSTING TO A BLOG!!!!!!!! LIFE IS NOT FAIR!! GET OVER IT!!!
First of all "was a coach" I thank God you aren't a coach anymore because no one needs a jerk like you coaching their child. I expressed my concern because what right is right. And I am very upset about it. I also have another son and he plays in minors. I was not upset when he didn't get picked because I KNOW he isn't good enough. So NO I am sorry to bust your bubble, but not every parent believes their child should get picked. However, my child that is in coach pitch SHOULD have gotten picked because I know he is good enough, way better than a lot that made it. My concern is the same as a lot of parents.....children getting overlooked who obviously should make it, but aren't only because they aren't "coaches sons".....and you are right about your sorry little comment about life not being fair, but this COULD BE FAIR!!!
heart broken parent

Lumberton, NC

#229 May 31, 2013
Disappointed Dad wrote:
Was a coach? Or still a coach? Your attitude about a kids' sport leads me to believe you have no business being involved in the first place. Your statement "Life is not d=fair!! Get over it!!!" only highlights the growing problem in Dixie Youth and LYBA today. The sport has become a hobby for these Dads/coaches, and they only care about their kids and all-stars. There is no teaching any more, no reinforcing the rules of the game, no expectation of gamesmanship. When a parent expresses concerns about a perceived wrongdoing, why would you lash out so severely, as you just did, Coach? I agree with Lacey's opinion that board members should not be active coaches. Inherently, every parent belives their child is great in their eyes. Why condemn and attack them for that? That is called being a good parent, always believing in your child. To tear them down and belittle them for expressing their concerns only proves that LYBA has strayed too far away. I fear LYBA will soon be a thing of the past. Maybe that's not such a bad thing, if you are the representation of their mindset, Coach.
Very well said!!! Thank you so much!!!
PROUD PAPA

Lumberton, NC

#230 May 31, 2013
WAS A COACH, YOU ARE A HEARTLESS HUMAN BEING TO BE MAKING COMMENTS LIKE YOU DID! AND YOU OBVIOUSLY HAVE NO CLUE IF YOU REALLY THINK THATS THE WORST PROBLEM! AND THE PARENTS WHO GET PISSED ARE THE PARENTS WHO BELIEVE IN THEIR CHILDREN AND OF COURSE THEY ARE GOING TO EXPRESS THEIR CONCERN BECAUSE IF PARENTS DON'T STAND UP FOR THEIR CHILDREN, THEN WHO WILL? OBVIOUSLY YOU ARE THE ONE WHO NEEDS TO GET A LIFE BECAUSE IT SEEMS LIKE YOU ARE ONE BITTER PERSON TO BE LASHING OUT LIKE THAT!

Since: Jun 13

Lumberton, NC

#231 Jun 5, 2013
I am a bit confused after reading this thread. I have enjoyed watching my two grandsons play baseball through LYBA for the past 5 years. I have always heard the rumors about the way these coaches operate, and have seen on more than one occasion how they talk to, and about, the kids on their teams. I just thought this was the norm these days. I can say, after taking the boys to numerous practices and sitting and watching, that these coaches definitely do not spend time teaching the weaker players. They already know before the first practice who will play where and don't let the others try out for different positions. And they always seem to blame the weaker kids when they don't win. This year, I have seen two of these guys getting into arguments with umpires and talking very ugly to them. I have also seen one of these coaches get reprimanded very promptly by an umpire. In front of everyone. It was quite funny to watch. These guys are board members also, and I would think they would try a little better to represent LYBA in a better light. I am also confused as to why so many seem to think they are such good coaches. Having one or two year-round travel ball players on your team that can virtually shut down the other team's batters does not make one a great coach. Also, on opening day, I witnessed firsthand one of the three board members in question try to start something with Seminoles. Seminoles was the bigger man and I thought he put the board member in his place quite well. I wonder why he is not coaching this year? Did LYBA tell him he couldn't coach? What happened during the meeting they had last year? Did they make some kind of secret deal? After watching this season go by, I think LYBA was one or two good coaches short. We definitely were not happy with our coach, or his assistant coaches this year. But, at least I know he didn't cheat, or get disgraced by an umpire in front of all the parents. I wonder how many of the kids playing baseball this spring are better now than they were at the start of the season? That is the true measure of success in baseball. We as adults, parents, grandparents, coaches, and board members should only be focused on improving our young boys and girls' skills. I say extend the season and do away with all-stars altogether. If these guys have to plot their all-star teams secretly, and are just going through the motions on the field, then we are doing a disservice to our young ones. As far as board members coaching, then I would have to agree with all the earlier posters, that this is a severe conflict of interest. That's like the judge also holding the office of sheriff.
just an outsider

Wilmington, NC

#232 Jun 8, 2013
I don't have a child in this league but I'm very disappointed to read some of the posts, especially the very negative ones about a game that is suppose to be fun for the kids to play and parents to watch. Isn't recreational sports meant to be fun for the kids but also meant to teach and prepare them for future teams, like school sports where you don't just pay a fee and join a team you actually have to try out and possibly get cut? I think today's parents are too busy trying to make everything so easy for their kids they forget to teach them the importance of hard work and deservance. There's nothing wrong with every parent thinking their kid is the next big thing, thats natural. But we have to also teach them the possiblity of rejection and how to deal with it and find the determination to make improvements and not give up. "was a coach" doesn't sound bitter(maybe alittle upset), the ones going on and on about this allstar team do. If the coaches are so terrible maybe other people should step up to the plate and take on the responsiblity of practices and ballgames voluntarily-no pay. The sad thing about this situation is it is more than likely the same way in every town's league. Hopefully things will turn around for the present and future ballplayers.
Wow

Lumberton, NC

#233 Jun 16, 2013
WAS A COACH wrote:
The coaches,The coaches sons,are the so called coaches buddies kids that make the all star teams are not the problem. THE WORST THING in youth sports today are the PARENTS PERIOD AND thinking their little Jonny is THE NEXT BABE RUTH IN BASEBALL and should have made the ALL STAR TEAMS. The parents WHINE,CRY and POUT worst then the kids. THE PARENTS need to GROW THE HECK UP and GET A LIFE BESIDES POSTING TO A BLOG!!!!!!!! LIFE IS NOT FAIR!! GET OVER IT!!!
Thank you!!!
Lacey

Lumberton, NC

#234 Jun 16, 2013
Rather than all the ranting and raving why don't we start a positive dialogue planning what we as parents, grandparents, coaches, board members, interested individuals can do to improve LYBA and come up with a plan to present to LYBA . Offer positive suggestions and remedies.
Kevin

United States

#235 Jun 20, 2013
seminoles40 wrote:
Lumberton, NC, located on i-95 in southeastern NC, is home to the Lumberton Youth Baseball Association (LYBA), part of the Dixie Youth Baseball plethora of teams. I always thought we were a measure ahead of other divisions when it came to skill level and abilites of our players. Our coaches, however, are another story. The coaches have secret meetings prior to the season and decide, before the season begins, who they want on their all star team at season's end. Then they make a pact to select the core group of players between their four teams to ensure their 12 players are in their division. The focus is NOT on teaching all players and helping them grow. These coaches, we'll call them Chris, Chris, and Crickett, only care about the post season, or all stars.
I was foolish and ignorant enough to agree to join in their pact this season, with guarantees that my son (who made the all star team last year without any deals being made) would be selected, and I would help coach.
Well, we had our all star selection tonight, while I am out of town in Florida, and neither myself or my son were selected to participate. There were, however, 4 players who definitely rank well below my son in skill and dedication to the game.
That being said, I am embarrassed, ashamed, and humiliated by my agreeing to team with the three liars in the first place. It also sickens me to know our President is aware of their dealings year after year and has never stepped up and tried to prevent it. Of course, his child plays in an older league, so he is immune to their politics. It also doesn't help that the LYBA Board is made up of mostly coaches, who bend and change the rules yearly to benefit them.
Case in point: A new rule was enacted this year that prevents a child who lives outside of our district lines from playing in LYBA. However, we have a coach who lives 5 miles into another town's district, but his son is allowed to play in our league. His son is also allowed to play on the All-Star team, even though Dixie Youth rules expressly forbid an out of district player from participating. There are two other players, who are extremely talented, who live 3-4 miles closer to our district, who were told "Your child can play in the regular season, but he cannot play for the all-star team." When asked about the difference in application of the rules, we are told that the coach's son is allowed to play (after receiving approval from Dixie Youth) because his father has been coaching for at least 3 years. Now, the other two kids'(that were excluded, remember) parents have only been coaching for 2 years. Convenient that the rule was set at 3 years? Especially considering one of the "excluded" coaches had an issue with the "grandfathered" coach during the previous season, and the "grandfathered" coach sits on the LYBA board? Anyone seeing a pattern here? Also, Dixie Youth denies ever hearing about the coach who loves out of our district, we'll call him Chris H. for lack of a better name.
I have been lied to from the beginning. Yes, I am angry, but I am stepping up and admitting I took part in the very behavior I criticized in years past. I am guilty of participating in an activity that degrades and puts a black eye on youth sports. I aplogize to my community and my son for taking such action. But I cannot sit idly by and watch the three liars...again, we'll call them "Chris H., Chris C., and Crickett B., ruin the sport we love dearly. I have decided I will never again coach youth sports, as I have contributed to the aforementioned black eye. But I will not stop exposing those who allow such behaviors, either.
would you've brought this up if you and your child were picked?
Kevin

United States

#236 Jun 20, 2013
Was a coach hit it on the head. I am a coach and I see what he's talking about. I do try to teach kids but a kid doesn't listen or refuses to field a ball right, the parents think he/she is the greatest and gets mad because they're not on infield. I agree with you was a coach.
Lacey

Lumberton, NC

#237 Jun 20, 2013
Kevin wrote:
Was a coach hit it on the head. I am a coach and I see what he's talking about. I do try to teach kids but a kid doesn't listen or refuses to field a ball right, the parents think he/she is the greatest and gets mad because they're not on infield. I agree with you was a coach.
Being inflammatory isn't the purpose of this thread...it has turned now to improve a troubled league and make the experience positive and learning. Everyone is aware there are some kids who don't have a natural talent or do everything just as they are told...but there are kids who don't have a natural talent but a great desire to play and they need to be given the opportunity to learn and improve. It's not all about winning..it's about learning and doing your best. It's giving extra instruction and attention to the players who are struggling and learning. The players who are talented and naturals will fare well and have a positive experience. The goal is for all the participants to each have a positive experience and come away at the end of the season improved and positive. Anyone who has a child that has been ignored and not given fair play is going to be upset. They don't necessarily think their child is perfect or the next Babe Ruth..but they are protecting their child's right to have that positive experience that Little League has to offer. Learning about teamwork and improving his/her skills as the season goes on. I would never criticize any parent for standing up for their child...I would if they didn't! It would be so refreshing if the dialogue here would concentrate on the positive changes that can be made and less on negativity.
Rex Perrt

Fayetteville, NC

#238 Jul 1, 2013
the pompitous of love wrote:
^News Flash! Politics are EVERYWHERE.
It would not matter if Lumberton played Little League, the same thing would go on. I've been part of Little League, Dixie Youth, Cal Ripken and Little Tar Heel and when it comes to All-Stars some people get "out of the mind".
Jack Daniels

Lumberton, NC

#239 Jul 1, 2013
maybe the bottom line...in order to try to assure fairness...fathers can't coach their own kid. I don't think it's not obvious to everyone that coaches kids always make all stars and they have the "prized position" such as pitcher, catcher or shortstop. You are probably right...it's never going to change...sad but true.
baseball mom of 2

West Columbia, SC

#240 Jul 2, 2013
Jack Daniels wrote:
maybe the bottom line...in order to try to assure fairness...fathers can't coach their own kid. I don't think it's not obvious to everyone that coaches kids always make all stars and they have the "prized position" such as pitcher, catcher or shortstop. You are probably right...it's never going to change...sad but true.
maybe the coaches kids are the better players because their daddys work with their kids .....and who would want to coach a team when your child is on the other team????
Jack Daniels

Lumberton, NC

#241 Jul 3, 2013
baseball mom of 2 wrote:
<quoted text> maybe the coaches kids are the better players because their daddys work with their kids .....and who would want to coach a team when your child is on the other team????
I see you don't understand sarcasm
bob

Hampstead, NC

#242 Jul 7, 2013
this sounds like Leland in district 5 maybe dixie should consider having a tournament for teams that cheat,been coaching for 40 years in dixie there is usually only one team in the district that does that. And just leave the real tournament to the teams that play by all the rules there are a few, usually the 2nd or third place team
Disappointed Dad

Southport, NC

#243 Jul 8, 2013
bob wrote:
this sounds like Leland in district 5 maybe dixie should consider having a tournament for teams that cheat,been coaching for 40 years in dixie there is usually only one team in the district that does that. And just leave the real tournament to the teams that play by all the rules there are a few, usually the 2nd or third place team
Bob WHITEHURST!! Please stop! Let it go! You are making Cape Fear, our All Star team and us parents so embarrassed. Things like this should not come from coaches. We came in 3rd! Final results! Our boys played the Championship game and almost came back in the end, but we didn't win. They have nothing to be ashamed of or feel bad about. Please stop slandering Leland and the other teams. You are making things worse for our kids. As a grown-up, you should be teaching them how to be good sports, win or lose. Instead you have taught them that we will stoop to any level. And we wonder why so many great players have left our optimist to play elsewhere? You say this is your last year at CF and you're packing up and moving to another state. Let me help you find your suitcase!

“ Impulsive, bone in her teeth”

Since: Mar 08

Location hidden

#244 Jul 9, 2013
I just stumbled across this thread and it surprised me.
Was a long, long time ago but I'll say to all. Do not be surprised. It has gone on and will continue to go on aas long as there are sports programs for kids.
I know that coaches load up their team with their kids and the friends of their kids. Talent does not matter. Neither does teaching for that matter.
Need a coach? Hire a professional, do what they say, or give up and accept it. Sad but true.

Just think, if you knew the right people, you could bet the superbowl for the next three years and win.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 8 min River Tam 765,119
Which is the Oldest Indian Language? Sanskrit V... (Jul '08) 11 min arabian 5,444
Why Topix is dying 33 min Protester 1
I wish homosexuals never existed...... 1 hr Rosa_Winkel 77
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 1 hr AussieBobby 263,625
4 Powerful Steps to Permanently Dissolve Panic ... 1 hr Dissolve Panic 1
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 1 hr Roberta G 175,050
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 2 hr Black Thunder 42 603,706
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 4 hr Oxbow 555,079
Hot gays in Abu Dhabi (Nov '13) 13 hr Ayyan 1,187

Top Stories People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE