Lying and cheating in Dixie Youth Bas...
SKC Lumberton

Cary, NC

#204 Aug 2, 2012
I just wanted to give a shout out to West Robeson Coach Pitch Team for winning the World Series in Virginia. Everyone should be very proud of the little guys, because I know they gave it their all no matter if it was Lumberton or Pembroke who won,these guys are from Robeson Co. Again congrats too coaches, the team, and the parents.
Carey Read

United States

#205 Aug 2, 2012
SKC Lumberton wrote:
I just wanted to give a shout out to West Robeson Coach Pitch Team for winning the World Series in Virginia. Everyone should be very proud of the little guys, because I know they gave it their all no matter if it was Lumberton or Pembroke who won,these guys are from Robeson Co. Again congrats too coaches, the team, and the parents.
Yes, Congrats. Where has the Robesonian coverage of this been? I know someone from the team has to call it in, but dang, that is a big deal. LYBA 14 year olds are playing in the Babe Ruth Southeast Regionals starting tomorrow. I agree that we should be proud of all our Robeson County teams.
Doc

Fayetteville, NC

#206 Aug 2, 2012
SKC Lumberton wrote:
I just wanted to give a shout out to West Robeson Coach Pitch Team for winning the World Series in Virginia. Everyone should be very proud of the little guys, because I know they gave it their all no matter if it was Lumberton or Pembroke who won,these guys are from Robeson Co. Again congrats too coaches, the team, and the parents.
Yes a big congrats to the team and well done! The Robesonian shouldn't have to have someone call it in...they should be keeping up with the post season play of the Robeson County teams and keeping updates in the paper...it would probably go a long ways to increasing their sales if they showed some interest. Never have understood why they have to be called. It should be automatic when the kids make the post season tournaments
Heel

Fayetteville, NC

#207 Aug 3, 2012
Dixie youth is the worst program on the planet. Every year it gets smaller and smaller. Hopefully it will fade away,or hope mills can play themselves and assure themselves of a win. They invented cheating the others had to cheat to catch them. And when you catch them they change to ozone
Hostile Takeover

Longwood, FL

#208 Aug 7, 2012
I haven't seen anything posted in a while. Does this mean you guys have had your meeting? Was anything accomplished? Or is Lumberton going to continue to be subjected to the Good 'Ol Boys Club?

I thought it was a good suggestion to ask Little League to return to Lumberton. Let the travel ball coaches have LYBA, and let all the other kids play in Little League.

All the lying, cheating, secret meetings, plotting and planning. Ridiculous. Look at Allenton's league. We might be small, but you never hear about any of this crap happening. That's because we don't allow it. Period. Says a lot about the management of the program, wouldn't you say?

I am curious as to whether this meeting has occurred, and why we aren't hearing anything about it. Both sides seem to have stopped posting. Obviously, something happened that they are keeping under wraps. Odd.

Parents, bring your kids to Allenton to play. You'll find a completely different atmosphere. We do not tolerate the types of things you see in LYBA. We might be small, and don't have the same fields as LYBA, but our kids have fun, and we don't cheat!
Carey Read

United States

#210 Aug 8, 2012
Interesting name for the last poster. You are just trying to make the situation worse. Shame on you. Our kids are still playing all-stars and this has been tabled until that is over. Nothing more, nothing less. Whatever happened in the past is going to be addressed and we are going to move on. As for your program, every serious player in your area already plays in LYBA. I guess you would want them back.
NCCoach22

United States

#211 Sep 19, 2012
WOW is all I can say after reading most of these postings. Sounds exactly like the Fayetteville area coaches at some rec centers also. Although they are LL for the most part now. Stacking teams, throwing games and choosing All Stars before the season are the norm. My kid got fed up with it and quit spring ball. It is all about practice for the AllStars and of course 98% are coaches kids, so unless you can break the good ol boy network your kid doesn't have a chance since they control who gets in. Complain about anything and your kid is screwed no matter how good they are.
I can say this from the perspective of a parent who's kid is average to above average player and prob not an allstar. He wants to play baseball and have fun and they have ruined it for him already.
I'm all for being competitive and trying hard, but what are we teaching our kids if we cheat and conspire?
As for Seminoles that started this thread, shame on you for participating to begin with. Frankly your kid deserves to NOT be picked again due to your actions. I do think you have sour grapes and would have NEVER come forward if they wouldn't have left you out in the cold with the rest of the normal people so suck it up buddy. You get some cred for coming forward and admitting it, but how do you plan on making it right? Perhaps you should coach again and do it the right way. Remember they are kids and conduct yourself accordingly.
I would interested in others from Fay areas opinions on their rec centers coaches also.
Doc

Fayetteville, NC

#212 Sep 19, 2012
Had wondered if anyone would post any more of if there was ever a meeting held between Mr. Reed, Seminole and West. But I totally agree with your opinion and your post as a whole. He does need to suck it up and coach again and set an example. After all, your kid loves the game and loved playing. Don't let what happened ruin the game.
Doc

Fayetteville, NC

#213 Sep 19, 2012
oh yes...if you haven't had the meeting with Mr. Reed and Mr. West...you need to.
I know what you mean

Morganton, NC

#214 Dec 14, 2012
seminoles40 wrote:
Lumberton, NC, located on i-95 in southeastern NC, is home to the Lumberton Youth Baseball Association (LYBA), part of the Dixie Youth Baseball plethora of teams. I always thought we were a measure ahead of other divisions when it came to skill level and abilites of our players. Our coaches, however, are another story. The coaches have secret meetings prior to the season and decide, before the season begins, who they want on their all star team at season's end. Then they make a pact to select the core group of players between their four teams to ensure their 12 players are in their division. The focus is NOT on teaching all players and helping them grow. These coaches, we'll call them Chris, Chris, and Crickett, only care about the post season, or all stars.
I was foolish and ignorant enough to agree to join in their pact this season, with guarantees that my son (who made the all star team last year without any deals being made) would be selected, and I would help coach.
Well, we had our all star selection tonight, while I am out of town in Florida, and neither myself or my son were selected to participate. There were, however, 4 players who definitely rank well below my son in skill and dedication to the game.
That being said, I am embarrassed, ashamed, and humiliated by my agreeing to team with the three liars in the first place. It also sickens me to know our President is aware of their dealings year after year and has never stepped up and tried to prevent it. Of course, his child plays in an older league, so he is immune to their politics. It also doesn't help that the LYBA Board is made up of mostly coaches, who bend and change the rules yearly to benefit them.
Case in point: A new rule was enacted this year that prevents a child who lives outside of our district lines from playing in LYBA. However, we have a coach who lives 5 miles into another town's district, but his son is allowed to play in our league. His son is also allowed to play on the All-Star team, even though Dixie Youth rules expressly forbid an out of district player from participating. There are two other players, who are extremely talented, who live 3-4 miles closer to our district, who were told "Your child can play in the regular season, but he cannot play for the all-star team." When asked about the difference in application of the rules, we are told that the coach's son is allowed to play (after receiving approval from Dixie Youth) because his father has been coaching for at least 3 years. Now, the other two kids'(that were excluded, remember) parents have only been coaching for 2 years. Convenient that the rule was set at 3 years? Especially considering one of the "excluded" coaches had an issue with the "grandfathered" coach during the previous season, and the "grandfathered" coach sits on the LYBA board? Anyone seeing a pattern here? Also, Dixie Youth denies ever hearing about the coach who loves out of our district, we'll call him Chris H. for lack of a better name.
I have been lied to from the beginning. Yes, I am angry, but I am stepping up and admitting I took part in the very behavior I criticized in years past. I am guilty of participating in an activity that degrades and puts a black eye on youth sports. I aplogize to my community and my son for taking such action. But I cannot sit idly by and watch the three liars...again, we'll call them "Chris H., Chris C., and Crickett B., ruin the sport we love dearly. I have decided I will never again coach youth sports, as I have contributed to the aforementioned black eye. But I will not stop exposing those who allow such behaviors, either.

Same non sense goes on in Dallas Nc......all stars are chosen before season starts...it's a shame no one has scruples who participates in these activities.
wow

Havelock, NC

#215 Feb 21, 2013
I just so happened to stumble across this thread while looking for coaching requirements. I live in Southport and I can tell you this stuff happens in every league. As a parent you need to just ignore it until it directly effects your player. It dosent do any good to knock heads with these guys. They are 15 years old in a 40 year old mans body! Now since Im here would anyone happen to know if a coach is allowed to have any convictions?
For the child

Laurinburg, NC

#216 Feb 21, 2013
It will depend upon your leagues bylaws and what the conviction really is.
wow

Havelock, NC

#217 Feb 21, 2013
For the child wrote:
It will depend upon your leagues bylaws and what the conviction really is.
It's several DUI convictions.....
Lacey

Fayetteville, NC

#218 Apr 8, 2013
This season is getting ready to start..lets hope some good has come of this and remedies are in place to insure fair play for all. Good luck to all the coaches and players..and have a wonderful learning season. Coaches remember you are in a position to be a role model and need to exhibit the highest form of sportsmanship and fair play.
Lacey

Fayetteville, NC

#219 Apr 20, 2013
It's unfortunate but it looks like more of the same. Was hoping for some change and the program being fair to all the kids whether or not their Dads are coaches. It's a real shame. Very disappointed.
Bubba

United States

#220 May 16, 2013
Fort Meade is the same way. Chew on this though; it is controlled by the black population who try to sleep with the white moms to make t-ball all stars. My child is finished with t-ball, and let one of these coaches say a crossed word to me. I feel I might be the one to teach these fellas a lesson. It's beyond politics. Fuck dixie youth league.
heart broken parent

Fayetteville, NC

#221 May 29, 2013
I will tell you what I am so ill about. I have a son in coach pitch and he is a great ball player. It is his passion and it's obvious to anyone that watches him. In every single bit of his free time, he is in the yard playing with his siblings, friends, and sometimes by himself. His heart whole is in every practice and every game from beginning to end!!!! He deserved to make the all star team but because of his dad's work schedule, he can't commit to coach, which obviously keeps my child from being on the all star team. It really sucks when your child who is an all around good kid and is great at ball doesn't understand why he didn't make it and children who are obviously ranked below him and act like they don't even want to be on the field makes it JUST BECAUSE THEIR DAD COACHES! I mean, what do you tell your child without pure bashing LYBA rules???
heart broken parent

Fayetteville, NC

#222 May 29, 2013
I know some of the kids that made it deserved to make it....BUT I will just be glad when children are picked SIMPLY because of their talent and nothing else!!!
Lacey

Fayetteville, NC

#223 May 30, 2013
Don't hold your breath....I don't think they will ever change. It's really a shame.
heart broken parent wrote:
I know some of the kids that made it deserved to make it....BUT I will just be glad when children are picked SIMPLY because of their talent and nothing else!!!
Anonymous

Fayetteville, NC

#224 May 30, 2013
I share in your frustration, although I am coming from the other side. As an assistant coach in the Minors division, I see firsthand the very examples of which you speak. My son made the all-stars, and deservedly so. But, there are quite a few kids who did not make the all stars, who very well should have. I see now that it is who you know, instead of how well your child plays. There are some kids who made the team simply because their parents are tight with the head coaches and board members. There are three really good players in the American division, and two really good players in the nationals, who did not make the all stars because of past problems between one or both parents and the head coaches. Meanwhile, a few players whose skills levels are well below most in the league, made the team. There are also coaches' kids, who aren't very good, who made the teams. I understand that a coach is more than likely going to take his child if he is going to dedicate his/her time to coaching the all stars. But, there are 4 coaches and 12 spots. I think the remaining 8 spots should only go to the best fielders/batters in each division. This is not the case, nor has it ever been the case in LYBA. Considering what these guys pulled last year, I am not surprised. I remember a time when youth baseball was about having fun and learning. What happened? I can tell you this much: Neither division stands a chance of beating Pembroke, once again. These guys' efforts to rig the all-stars has done nothing but ensure their defeat.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing (Mar '17) 2 min Riverside Rednek 52,999
Is God a "Bully" sometimes? 7 min Doctor REALITY 14
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 16 min Peter Ross 446,002
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 17 min Chuck 693,469
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 21 min Big Al 992,293
God is REAL - Miracles Happen! (Jun '11) 21 min Tony 6,744
Allah is Satan hiding behind the name 34 min Holy Pipek 44
More from around the web