Wisconsin woman accused of child abus...

Wisconsin woman accused of child abuse in belt spanking

There are 39 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Feb 10, 2010, titled Wisconsin woman accused of child abuse in belt spanking. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

A town of Campbell woman has been charged with felony child abuse after police said she spanked a child with a belt as punishment for misplacing a video game.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Sorely Wrong

Minneapolis, MN

#1 Feb 10, 2010
What a joke. This is what happens when people meddle in other people's business. I had my butt whooped so many times when I was a child, I would be a millionaire today if I had a dollar for every time it happened. You know what? I didn't like it, and I learned from it.

Thank God I grew up in the 70's and 80's.
I Know

Saint Paul, MN

#3 Feb 10, 2010
What??!! no way should this woman be charged. Better hope I'm not on the jury or the prosecutor will look like a fool! Just about anybody has had a belt used on them or should have had one used on them. Way to go mom, betcha your son will think twice now when told what to do.
picklesnorkie

Saint Paul, MN

#4 Feb 10, 2010
geeez....we were spanked with wooden spoons, belts, sticks, hands, lol!! it;s strange how it was ok back in the 60's, 70's and before, but god forbid someone should spank a child nowadays....I'm all for spanking, however, if it leaves bruises then I think there is an issues....that's no longer a spanking, that's a beating and that isn't ok.

“Just a hobbit girl”

Since: Aug 09

The Shire.. Middle Earth

#5 Feb 10, 2010
sad times when disciplining a child is now called child abuse.
Congratulations

Queen Creek, AZ

#6 Feb 10, 2010
Another reason our country is going to the dogs! Discipline is no longer allowed.
I don't think there are many of us over age 50 that can't remember meeting the infamous belt. While I would never condone beatings, maybe we should realize that "the lack of discipline is the greatest form of child abuse there"!
ForReal

Saint Paul, MN

#7 Feb 10, 2010
Spanking does not bruise your lower back and still hurt the next day. That is not discipline it's domestic dysfunction.
Axle

Maple Grove, MN

#8 Feb 10, 2010
Maybe next time the kid will listen. The kid didn't listen and do what he was told
because of the liberal message he gets at school. At school they teach you that you can do something bad but that still doesn't allow someone else to touch you or hit you. The message is that there are no physical consequences for anything bad you do. The Federal Government is slowly taking away the right of every parent to discipline their own children. We had a friend that was arrested in a store parking lot for scolding her own child for misbehaving in the store.
Someone in the parking lot didn't think she should be yelling at her kid for being a brat and called the police. The friend ended up having to attend some type of anger management classes to avoid jail time. Isn't that crazy. Children are like dogs. They don't really understand words but do understand anger and pain. Child experts would ask you to believe that talking is the best way not spanking. Yes initially that is true, unless the child isn't listening or responding. I've seen that played out so many times, were the mother yells at the kid to stop. The kid stops for a brief moment then goes right back to the misbehavior. It's almost like a taunt to the parent to escalate things.
I can understand where that mother was coming from and I have to agree with her reasoning. She warned him and then she cared out her threat to prove to him that she it's wasn't a hollow warning and that there would be consequences for not listening. Next time, if there is a next time. She will need to use something that doesn't leave a mark. Next time the kid acts up. Go in his room with a trash bag and clean out every toy. That will get his attention. It will hurt you more then him but it does get results. I did this once to my son. It was one of the hardest things I ever had to do, but it did seem to get his attention. Disciplining your children is one of the hardest things any parent will ever have to do, but it's necessary.
sing

Lakeville, MN

#9 Feb 10, 2010
I'm with picklesnorkie, bruises on the lower back is too much. I remember the belt, coat hangers and especially tree branch switches. Since this happened after the offence, this woman was out of control.
Leprechaun

Saint Paul, MN

#10 Feb 10, 2010
The folks in Wisconsin have always been known to like a belt once in a while.

Since: Feb 10

Queen Creek, AZ

#11 Feb 10, 2010
sing wrote:
I'm with picklesnorkie, bruises on the lower back is too much. I remember the belt, coat hangers and especially tree branch switches. Since this happened after the offence, this woman was out of control.
And I am sure you saw those "bruises" and are totally qualified to make a judgement, right?
mom in cottage grove

Minneapolis, MN

#12 Feb 10, 2010
if the child was doing something that could hurt him or others (sticking something in a light socket, playing with fire, or in traffic) then spanking is justified-however in the case the "crime" does not suit the "punishment" I spanked when my kids were little and was spanked with spoons and belts as a child like many other posters-although I never used "tool" in spanking my children however that does not make this an appropriate form of punishment then or now-

Since: Jan 09

United States

#13 Feb 10, 2010
Tough issue. I agree with spanking, but it shouldn't leave bruises, nor hurt the next day. This will be one of those border cases that will push a law banning ALL spanking because one knucklehead abused it.... There goes the future of our children.....
meinstpaul

Hopkins, MN

#14 Feb 10, 2010
I was never hit with a belt, but I got my share of spankings and it didn't kill me. It taught me. Children need boundaries, and sometimes it takes a kick in the ***. The kids of today are brats, they have no manners, no respect for anyone. Just look at all the juveniles in the court system. They are spoiled ill mannered uncontrollable animals. They were not punished for anything growing up and now they are out of control. Bring back parents rights!
Sonny

Denver, CO

#15 Feb 10, 2010
She should have just punched him in the face.
guest1

Chaska, MN

#16 Feb 10, 2010
There is a difference between abuse and parenting. If she gets charged and found guilty, she wont do it again. 100 bucks says kid grows up to be a brat.

“Ahhhh hee ahw”

Since: Aug 09

Twin Cities

#17 Feb 10, 2010
sing wrote:
Sane people don't punish kids BEFORE they misbehave. You must not be sane.
Sarah D

Saint Paul, MN

#18 Feb 10, 2010
I was spanked as a child but it NEVER left bruises or hurt the next day.

Adults should never spank a child in anger. When adults are angry their judgment as to how much force they're using becomes skewed. It looks like this woman applied too much force.

If a spanking is given the adult should be calm while administering the punishment.

Spellchecker

Saint Paul, MN

#19 Feb 10, 2010
jerry person wrote:
Parents can not spank there children, but a judge can put them in adult prisons knowing they will be gang raped and forced to be sex slaves. What a country. Pervs in a black rob can do anything they want and parents have no control. Then when the child does something wrong the parent is at fault..
Another perverted judge drooling things out of there mouth. What do you call a pervert toady. Your Honor or Officer.
Did the arresting officer search or grope the child and the mother at the time of the arrest? Of course police always grope there prey.
They persue women and children easy prey for CRIMINAL JUST US SYSTEMS. America needs peoles justice systems. The right wing systems did not work in Russia or Iraq and it does not work in America.
Obviously, the American school system failed you. You didn't learn how to spell. All you can do is spew out venomous nonsense like this.
Loretta

Minneapolis, MN

#20 Feb 10, 2010
Wow, our principal had a cane in his office that could be used on kids. This was the 60's. We didn't misbehave at school.

Since: Jan 09

United States of America

#21 Feb 10, 2010
Sorely Wrong wrote:
What a joke. This is what happens when people meddle in other people's business. I had my butt whooped so many times when I was a child, I would be a millionaire today if I had a dollar for every time it happened. You know what? I didn't like it, and I learned from it.
Thank God I grew up in the 70's and 80's.
You learned from it? It took one million beatings? Slow learner.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing (Mar '17) 9 min Bongo 71,478
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 27 min Dang Jersey Piney 447,392
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 1 hr Dang Jersey Piney 995,033
James Comey's conflicted TWO FACES 1 hr Dang Jersey Piney 96
How to help others save MONEY 2 hr meme 3
Good Nite, my Fellow Dorkinsteins! 7 hr Doctor REALITY 1
"O.J. hit me while he (BLEEPED!) me! 7 hr Doctor REALITY 2
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 7 hr Rosesz 699,379