Are Atheists Good People?

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#1037 Apr 29, 2013
Working for the Lord wrote:
<quoted text> You're not going to believe ,I mean you're not going to believe this , but I just read your mind, can you believe that, wow? Or could it be from years and yesrs of hearing the lame excuses that atheist come up with as my reasoning for reading your mind? I'd probably go with the latter, eh.
Sorry, your response had no bearing on my post that you quoted. I was asking for an example, not another critique of my intelligence.

Location hidden

#1038 Apr 29, 2013
<quoted text> You have a brain, what more do you want, but it only becomes a great mind over time if you put it to work, so your wanna be robot analogy goes by the wayside. Maybe you should tell someone who has a degree from college your lane reasoning, I'll bet you wont have a friendly following, most likely the opposite would occur, so hiding would be an option for you.
I have a degree from an university which I won after 4 years of studying in a science honors course. I have no problems at all with what he says.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#1039 Apr 29, 2013
<quoted text> This would be a false religion that might do that, you do know shellfish and pork restrictions have been done aaway with by the cross, you didn't know that did you, try studying. The Lord's day which we are all under is Sunday, not like in the old testament. so get off the couch on Sunday and vist a Church of Christ nearest you and learn the truth and then become a christian.
So, that whole ban on homosexuality and homosexual marriage is out the window, too?

That's good to know.

“ad victoriam”

Since: Dec 10

arte et marte

#1040 Apr 29, 2013
Dr Shrink wrote:
<quoted text>
dr Shrink is professional psychiatrist,
rather you are dr Shrink client
you needs his professional help,and white coat with one sleave in the middle to throw you easy to little rubber room?
You are a grade school educated professional topix trolling lunatic.

Location hidden

#1041 Apr 29, 2013
boooots wrote:
<quoted text>
I was interested to learn that the Church of Christ (and you just confirmed by that post that we are talking about the same church) in a neighboring community, to where my mother lives, and I was raised and lived for 32 years, and where several of my relatives worshiped which had used my mother's sanctuary in recent years for their services while they were building a new building, has since split into two separate congregations, because some members wanted to have musical instruments in the church while the others wanted to stick to the archaic illogical way of singing from music books written for musical instruments but with no musical instruments.
Though I don't support either congregation as preaching a true religion, I think those that wanted the musical instruments are being rational on that point, because I see it as being absolutely silly that anyone would think that playing a musical instrument to aid people in following a tune, is not only not wrong but almost essential. My grandmother's brother, who has been dead for 30 some years was a very strong supporter of that denomination.
When I was a teen we had a very large young people's group
in my own church, and we had a project during one year to visit, and invite back congregations of other denominations in the neighboring communities.
In the case of the Church of Christ, we visited their church on a Sunday, and their minister and some of their young people visited our church on a Sunday. We even had the minister and some young people attend one of our own young people's meetings.
I do recall we did get into almost a heated argument with them over a couple of their beliefs, though we managed to not completely have them walk out on us. That was roughly 50 years ago.
Here's the problem we have, it never tells us to use musical instruments, not even once in the new testament, but it does tell us to use our voices, Ephesians 5;19,19 singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs among yourselves, and making music to the Lord in your hearts. 20 And give thanks for everything to God the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ. Colossians 3;16 16 Let the message about Christ, in all its richness, fill your lives. Teach and counsel each other with all the wisdom he gives. Sing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs to God with thankful hearts. Not one time when the Lord;s supper was being served did they ever use instrunents, Matthew 26-29, 26 As they were eating, Jesus took some bread and blessed it. Then he broke it in pieces and gave it to the disciples, saying,“Take this and eat it, for this is my body.”

27 And he took a cup of wine and gave thanks to God for it. He gave it to them and said,“Each of you drink from it, 28 for this is my blood, which confirms the covenant[e] between God and his people. It is poured out as a sacrifice to forgive the sins of many. 29 Mark my words—I will not drink wine again until the day I drink it new with you in my Father’s Kingdom.”

30 Then they sang a hymn and went out to the Mount of Olives.
Your thinking is what has caused all the different denominations. We are commanded to do God's will, not man's will. Show me just one instance where it says to use instruments or where they did anywhere in the new testament, I'll be waiting.

Location hidden

#1043 Apr 30, 2013
There are two main categories of atheists: strong and weak, with variations in between. Strong atheists actively believe and state that no God exists. They expressly denounce the Christian God along with any other god. Strong atheists are usually more aggressive in their conversations with theists and try to shoot holes in theistic beliefs. They like to use logic and anti-biblical evidences to denounce God's existence. They are active, often aggressive, and openly believe that there is no God.

Agnostic Atheists, as I call them, are those who deny God's existence based on an examination of evidence. Agnosticism means 'not knowing,' or 'no knowledge.' I call them agnostic because they state they have looked at the evidence and have concluded there is no God, but they say they are open to further evidence for God's existence.

Weak atheists simply exercise no faith in God. The weak atheist might be better explained as a person who lacks belief in God the way a person might lack belief that there is a green lizard in a rocking chair on the moon; it isn't an issue. He doesn't believe it or not believe it.

Finally, there is a group of atheists that I call militant atheists. They are, fortunately, few in number. They are usually highly insulting and profoundly terse in their comments to theists, particularly Christians. I’ve encountered a few of them and they are vile, rude, and highly condescending. Their language is full of insults, profanity, and blasphemies. Basically, no meaningful conversation can be held with them.

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#1044 Apr 30, 2013
Why wouldn't atheists be good people, they're people like any other, some are good and some are bad. There are plenty of bad, wrong doing Christians. Having a faith does not automatically make a person good IMO. It's not like there aren't any of the 'faithful' in the prisons. Not to mention all the wars over religion.
I think we each find our own sense of morals whether that is in a book or from our upbringing or from compassion. If I choose to do good things or to not do bad things it's often out of a sense of empathy with others; I don't require fear of a god to behave like children who do what they're told because if they don't they'll be told off and won't be allowed to go to the zoo at the weekend, which they will if they're 'good'

Location hidden

#1045 Apr 30, 2013
Matt Road wrote:
Why wouldn't atheists be good people, they're people like any other, some are good and some are bad. There are plenty of bad, wrong doing Christians. Having a faith does not automatically make a person good IMO. It's not like there aren't any of the 'faithful' in the prisons. Not to mention all the wars over religion.
I think we each find our own sense of morals whether that is in a book or from our upbringing or from compassion. If I choose to do good things or to not do bad things it's often out of a sense of empathy with others; I don't require fear of a god to behave like children who do what they're told because if they don't they'll be told off and won't be allowed to go to the zoo at the weekend, which they will if they're 'good'
Fear of God is used so much to turn people off it's ridiculous. Didn't you have a fear, in a loving way of your parents when you done wrong, of course you did and everybody else did to. Fear of God is no different than any parent Disciplining their children, so why do you fear it so? Look at the reward you get for simply doing what you're already doing, being good. Only thing different is you must believe in God and get baptized and go to church and just try to be good, and he knows we will make mistakes and by asking for forgivness is all you have to do, also try not repeating the sin over, how hard is that to do. The fear of God you are describing isn't correct at all. Since you're already being good how hard is it for you to do a little more as I descrbed to you to become a child of God and have that home in heaven. I urge you to go to the nearest Church of Christ and start your new life as a christian and know without any doubt where you will spend eternity, don't you feel you're deserving of eternal happiness , yes you are and so easy to obtain

The Borderland of Sol

#1046 Apr 30, 2013
Matt Road wrote:
I can't prove it, but I suspect you're right. Atheists _qua_ atheists seem to be a normal group. Some good, some less so.

The Borderland of Sol

#1047 Apr 30, 2013
<quoted text> Fear of God is used so much to turn people off it's ridiculous. Didn't you have a fear, in a loving way of your parents when you done wrong, of course you did and everybody else did to. Fear of God is no different than any parent Disciplining their children, so why do you fear it so? Look at the reward you get for simply doing what you're already doing, being good. Only thing different is you must believe in God and get baptized and go to church and just try to be good, and he knows we will make mistakes and by asking for forgivness is all you have to do, also try not repeating the sin over, how hard is that to do. The fear of God you are describing isn't correct at all. Since you're already being good how hard is it for you to do a little more as I descrbed to you to become a child of God and have that home in heaven. I urge you to go to the nearest Church of Christ and start your new life as a christian and know without any doubt where you will spend eternity, don't you feel you're deserving of eternal happiness , yes you are and so easy to obtain
But it has to be YOUR church, right?

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#1048 Apr 30, 2013
<quoted text> Fear of God is used so much to turn people off it's ridiculous. Didn't you have a fear, in a loving way of your parents when you done wrong, of course you did and everybody else did to. Fear of God is no different than any parent Disciplining their children, so why do you fear it so? Look at the reward you get for simply doing what you're already doing, being good. Only thing different is you must believe in God and get baptized and go to church and just try to be good, and he knows we will make mistakes and by asking for forgivness is all you have to do, also try not repeating the sin over, how hard is that to do. The fear of God you are describing isn't correct at all. Since you're already being good how hard is it for you to do a little more as I descrbed to you to become a child of God and have that home in heaven. I urge you to go to the nearest Church of Christ and start your new life as a christian and know without any doubt where you will spend eternity, don't you feel you're deserving of eternal happiness , yes you are and so easy to obtain
Sort of the point I was making got a bit lost. As children we do have the parental 'fear' and some people replace this restriction on their morality with a divine being - God, where others grow into keepers of their own conscience by internalising their moral code and so don't have to have external controls, like a God or their parents.

Location hidden

#1049 Apr 30, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>But it has to be YOUR church, right?
Absolutely, as you must worship according to God. I'll tell you what if you can find another church that uses no instruments because God has authorized singing only, take the Lord's supper every Sunday, believe as the bible clearly says that baptism is essential unto salvation, then I'll glady change where I go to church. All you have to do is just read Acts Chapter2 and 3 and you will see what God commands, their cannot be but one way, as Jesus said I will build my church, that being singular and referring to one way to worship, Man is the cause of why there's so many different ways, not God. Why in the world would he want all these churches, he wouldn't. I encourage you to test the Church of Christ for worshipping in spirit and in truth. It's so easy to see every other religion to be false., One faith, one God, one baptism, one church. Yes this world has a lot of souls lost and simply because of bible ignorance. If you will sit back and think a minute on how many people actually read and study the bible, how many just believe the good preachers word, how many people go where their friends or family go, how many believe what they hear on tv, and how many make up there own church, then you can clearly see why so many people are lost, just by bible ignorance.

Location hidden

#1050 Apr 30, 2013
Matt Road wrote:
<quoted text>
Sort of the point I was making got a bit lost. As children we do have the parental 'fear' and some people replace this restriction on their morality with a divine being - God, where others grow into keepers of their own conscience by internalising their moral code and so don't have to have external controls, like a God or their parents.
Discipline can be acheived many ways and fear of doing wrong has been used by parents forever. The fear in the bible is to keep youdoing good, that's all, and yes the punishment for someone who does terrible things and leaves God is horrible, but you must consider what your getting for being good, it's more than you and I could ever give our kids, so yes the stakes are higher but it's so dog gone easy to do God's will because you're already doing 95% of already, being a christian is the easiest thing to do. Just study the new testament and I'm sure you;ll underastand more in detail.

The Borderland of Sol

#1051 Apr 30, 2013
<quoted text> Absolutely, as you must worship according to God. I'll tell you what if you can find another church that uses no instruments because God has authorized singing only, take the Lord's supper every Sunday, believe as the bible clearly says that baptism is essential unto salvation, then I'll glady change where I go to church. All you have to do is just read Acts Chapter2 and 3 and you will see what God commands, their cannot be but one way, as Jesus said I will build my church, that being singular and referring to one way to worship, Man is the cause of why there's so many different ways, not God. Why in the world would he want all these churches, he wouldn't. I encourage you to test the Church of Christ for worshipping in spirit and in truth. It's so easy to see every other religion to be false., One faith, one God, one baptism, one church. Yes this world has a lot of souls lost and simply because of bible ignorance. If you will sit back and think a minute on how many people actually read and study the bible, how many just believe the good preachers word, how many people go where their friends or family go, how many believe what they hear on tv, and how many make up there own church, then you can clearly see why so many people are lost, just by bible ignorance.
As I thought.

Thanks, I know about the CoC already.

Nothin' I need.

Location hidden

#1052 Apr 30, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>As I thought.
Thanks, I know about the CoC already.
Nothin' I need.
Oh on the contrary, it's everything you need. You and I know you havent studied the bible to see if the Church of Christ ise true church of the bible. What does one have to do according to the bible to be saved, will you answer this question for me and then we'll go to the next question, at least try.

The Borderland of Sol

#1053 Apr 30, 2013
<quoted text> Oh on the contrary, it's everything you need. You and I know you havent studied the bible to see if the Church of Christ ise true church of the bible. What does one have to do according to the bible to be saved, will you answer this question for me and then we'll go to the next question, at least try.
I'd be prepared to make a small wager that I'm more familiar with the Bible than you...
Rosa Winkel

Byron Bay, Australia

#1054 Apr 30, 2013
I will get someone else to answer this question:

'Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction.'
Blaise Pascal

That suggests atheists could certainly be good people, even better people.

The Borderland of Sol

#1055 Apr 30, 2013
Rosa Winkel wrote:
I will get someone else to answer this question:
'Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction.'
Blaise Pascal
That suggests atheists could certainly be good people, even better people.
“The figures looked more or less human. And they were engaged in religion. You could tell by the knives (it's not murder if you do it for a god).”- Terry Pratchett.

Location hidden

#1056 Apr 30, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>I'd be prepared to make a small wager that I'm more familiar with the Bible than you...
I'd be willing to allow you to prove it by answering my questions I ask from the bible. You can't know to much if you don't even understand how the Church of Christ came into exsistence, that's your first question, love to hear your answer.

The Borderland of Sol

#1057 Apr 30, 2013
<quoted text> I'd be willing to allow you to prove it by answering my questions I ask from the bible. You can't know to much if you don't even understand how the Church of Christ came into exsistence, that's your first question, love to hear your answer.
Let's see.
Everybody is damned except you, you don't like even guitars (on the strange grounds that instruments aren't mentioned in the Bible. Neither are cats, BTW.) And you're dunkers, not dippers.

Founded in the 1860s, but makes wild claims to be the only True Church. Just like all the others.

I think that covers it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
our STORE is starting on politics 3 min zack LE hack 1
Trump's "Russia Worries" louder than the noon sun 33 min Johnny 12
Bring the jobs back to the USA! 40 min Johnny 560
Sometimes I like Louis Farrakhan's "sermons"...... 2 hr Paul is dead 103
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 2 hr another viewer 989,717
Why are Europeans a race of savages, thieves, a... (Jun '15) 2 hr Johnny 122
__POPE OUTED --- Shockwaves from Rome__ 4 hr Nov 2017 1
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing (Mar '17) 4 hr TrumpTheRetard 41,701
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 5 hr JesusWasNOTaJew G... 690,355
More from around the web