Are Atheists Good People?

Since: Jan 13

Kuwait, Kuwait

#85 Jan 27, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>You just might become an Atheist if you use reason and logic combined with some science. What seems more probable to you:
1.) That hundreds of thousands of hard working, highly intelligent, dedicated scientist, have provided irrefutable evidence through fossil records and radiometric dating, that the process of evolution is simply a fact. It is something that 99% of scientists world wide accept. That in 2009 there were 135,000 articles in reputable science journals and periodical in complete support of evolution, and there were ZERO articles refuting the findings of these scientist.
OR
2.) The Theory of evolution is false because an ancient book claims that an imaginary being scooped up some dirt and blew on it and a full formed male human magically appeared?
Is it POSSIBLE in your mind, using reason and logic, that this many scientist, many who have spent their lives in research, could be so wrong about the history of our species?
I never said evolution is incorrect HOWEVER I do not believe that we were monkeys nor do I believe the big bang theory, even if thats true what caused the bigbangtheory no one has an answer..I believe that evolution can take place, there is no mention in my religion that the is no evolution, however there is a limit as in such ways that we as humans, can adapt, mutate and so on. That evolution however, is by the will of God. The evolution I believe in for example that bacteria have evolved from viruses...could be why not, there are theories that are reasonable who I respect deeply. You just need to open your mind a little and not swallow the world EVOLUTION at once, unless u choke..

Kuwait, Kuwait

#86 Jan 27, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>So some muslim parent DO NOT strap bombs to their children and have them blow up innocent people?
If you are a muslim, what is the punishment for apostasy? What if a Muslim child rejects God or commits apostasy? I'll be waiting for your answer!!!!
Sorry I just realized this message have just read it.-

there is no penalty but if we were at wars and you were one of us than became an infidel, we would kill you since your an enemy to God. Than again that was many years ago at war times, we have something that we do now. It is something like, reasoning and not acting just by reading and listening what to do ignorantly. We do not follow our religion blindly we also support stuff like good intentions matters more than doing good.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#87 Jan 27, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Real ladies don't use vulgarity. So if you are a "lady" I suggest you speak like one, and not like so much trailer trash!!!
Easy, BL, please?

Clem's good people.

Kuwait, Kuwait

#88 Jan 28, 2013
@blacklagoon>>>>I' m waiting.

Kuwait, Kuwait

#89 Jan 28, 2013
@redneck answer me this; I have red the king James version of the bible. Tell me which one is the correct testament? Is it true that you have around 70 versions or so? or am I mistake?
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#90 Jan 28, 2013
Victor Belmont wrote:
<quoted text>
Your missing the point first of all I meant with the naked eye, second you have just opened up a conflict I was waiting for. Do you now need some sort of filter to see God???? you keep on stating u need to see God yet you cannot even see the created, you need some sort of device to aid you..well let me tell you this no divice will ever enable you to see god u know why? Not because he does not exist but because you are inferior to HIM.
Now you're being foolish, there is no kind of "filter" or device that allows someone to see what is only imagined. I actually don't even need a filter to look at the sun, I can do it with a mirror, or on a day with minimal cloud cover I can loo directly at the sun. So your argument here holds no water whatsoever. Nothing was created, I can find a reasonable and scientific explanation for everything that exists in the naturalistic realm. Until you can produce some evidence that this God of your exists, then he resides only in your mind.

I am actually superior to God, my moral standards are higher. Of course I'm talking about the God of the bible, but all Gods are the same.

“Play with your food”

Since: Mar 12

Location hidden

#91 Jan 28, 2013
Victor Belmont wrote:
I wish to know if a sophisticated atheist can be a good person. Good as in does not murder, steal, or cause harm in any way to himself or others. Since Atheists deny the existence of God I see no reason that they must be good. Say I'm an atheist this is how I think...if I can steal this mans money and get away with it why on earth will I say NO!!?? no one can punish me and I'll just be happy who cares if he is sad why would I have feelings for him? if he is sad why must I be sad, am I the one being sad or him? screw him let him be sad I'll just do it..Therefore, if an Atheist is a genius and cunning he will satisfy his desires with no remorse. He will kill steal do anything since there is no God.
If there is a an Atheist who is a good person he is a dumb ass because he can cheat and trick do whatever he wants without getting punished unless caught. Or not a complete Atheist meaning he still doubts the deny of God. If your an Atheist and have some feelings that you fear or anything it simply means you fell the presence of God but your just too scared to admit it.
That's why sophisticated Atheists are technically evil men and cannot be trusted, since they do not love God and fear his wrath.
Most of the evil, suffering, poverty and pain today are directly because of your so-called religion

“Play with your food”

Location hidden

#92 Jan 28, 2013
Victor Belmont wrote:
@redneck answer me this; I have red the king James version of the bible. Tell me which one is the correct testament? Is it true that you have around 70 versions or so? or am I mistake?
Much smarter to believe in a guy on a white horse... Lol! Brain?

Kuwait, Kuwait

#93 Jan 28, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Now you're being foolish, there is no kind of "filter" or device that allows someone to see what is only imagined. I actually don't even need a filter to look at the sun, I can do it with a mirror, or on a day with minimal cloud cover I can loo directly at the sun. So your argument here holds no water whatsoever. Nothing was created, I can find a reasonable and scientific explanation for everything that exists in the naturalistic realm. Until you can produce some evidence that this God of your exists, then he resides only in your mind.
I am actually superior to God, my moral standards are higher. Of course I'm talking about the God of the bible, but all Gods are the same.
Not the point, point was can u see the sun while it is fully exposed with the naked eye? eve if u do your eyes are damaged, thus you hardly can see the created..
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#94 Jan 28, 2013
Victor Belmont wrote:
<quoted text>
I never said evolution is incorrect HOWEVER I do not believe that we were monkeys nor do I believe the big bang theory, even if thats true what caused the bigbangtheory no one has an answer..I believe that evolution can take place, there is no mention in my religion that the is no evolution, however there is a limit as in such ways that we as humans, can adapt, mutate and so on. That evolution however, is by the will of God. The evolution I believe in for example that bacteria have evolved from viruses...could be why not, there are theories that are reasonable who I respect deeply. You just need to open your mind a little and not swallow the world EVOLUTION at once, unless u choke..
By saying that you don't believe we were monkeys, demonstrates your complete ignorance on the subject of evolution. You're right, we were never monkeys, so before you attempt to argue, the intelligent thing to do would be to familiarize yourself wit the topic at hand. You appear to know little or nothing about the process of evolution. Go and study and then get back to me.

Once again cosmologist have evidence that proves the singularity (the bigbang) The universe is expanding and has been since the moment of the bigbang. There are many theories as to how the bigbang came to be. You make the mistake all rigid thinking religious people make, its called "The God OF The Gaps" You find something that science has no immediate answer to and you automatically insert your God into the gap. Of course the problem here is that for centuries science has replaced God with real answers. Thunder and lightning were considered the work of God, science came along and provided to real answer. The same with diseases, and other events attributed to God, all filed with real explanations. This process has bee going on for centuries and overtime science fills the gap, God gets pushed back. God becomes an ever receding pocket of scientific ignorance.

Yoiu have made another positive statement "Evolution however, is by the will of God." You now are required to provide verifiable evidence that,#1.) There is such a being as God, and #2.) That he was able to effect evolutionary changes with his will. Good luck

The process of evolution is simply a fact, no open mind needed. It's a process that is gong on right now, and can be observed and understood by anyone.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#95 Jan 28, 2013
Victor Belmont wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry I just realized this message have just read it.-
there is no penalty but if we were at wars and you were one of us than became an infidel, we would kill you since your an enemy to God. Than again that was many years ago at war times, we have something that we do now. It is something like, reasoning and not acting just by reading and listening what to do ignorantly. We do not follow our religion blindly we also support stuff like good intentions matters more than doing good.
If you are a Muslim, then you are required to follow the teaching of the Quran, correct? Sharia law is what the Quran requires of Muslims. By Sharia law, anyone who attempt to change from the Islamic religion, or speaks out against Alah, or completely rejects the Muslim religion is violating Sharia law. The punishment for this religious crime is death. Maybe you're not a true Muslim and are somehow outside these religious laws. I guess that would make you subject to Sharia law. I'd be careful if I were you, there's not much compassion when it comes the Sharia law. People of your religion still act in barbaric ways. Beheadings and burying young women up the neck and then stoning them to death, floggings. Shameful religion, dragging those inhuman and barbaric practices out of the dark past and incorporating them in what should be a time of great advancement for our species.

Kuwait, Kuwait

#96 Jan 28, 2013
Spectacles wrote:
<quoted text>
Most of the evil, suffering, poverty and pain today are directly because of your so-called religion
How so? can you prove it?

btw did u see this video?

Kuwait, Kuwait

#97 Jan 28, 2013
Spectacles wrote:
<quoted text>
Much smarter to believe in a guy on a white horse... Lol! Brain?
I'm interested in discussing, I'll believe something if it is reasonable.

Kuwait, Kuwait

#98 Jan 28, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>By saying that you don't believe we were monkeys, demonstrates your complete ignorance on the subject of evolution. You're right, we were never monkeys, so before you attempt to argue, the intelligent thing to do would be to familiarize yourself wit the topic at hand. You appear to know little or nothing about the process of evolution. Go and study and then get back to me.
Once again cosmologist have evidence that proves the singularity (the bigbang) The universe is expanding and has been since the moment of the bigbang. There are many theories as to how the bigbang came to be. You make the mistake all rigid thinking religious people make, its called "The God OF The Gaps" You find something that science has no immediate answer to and you automatically insert your God into the gap. Of course the problem here is that for centuries science has replaced God with real answers. Thunder and lightning were considered the work of God, science came along and provided to real answer. The same with diseases, and other events attributed to God, all filed with real explanations. This process has bee going on for centuries and overtime science fills the gap, God gets pushed back. God becomes an ever receding pocket of scientific ignorance.
Yoiu have made another positive statement "Evolution however, is by the will of God." You now are required to provide verifiable evidence that,#1.) There is such a being as God, and #2.) That he was able to effect evolutionary changes with his will. Good luck
The process of evolution is simply a fact, no open mind needed. It's a process that is gong on right now, and can be observed and understood by anyone.
I studied biology well, I know what it is, in fact your the one who did not show me any reply when I spoke to u about evolution in viruses who slowly evolved into bacteria, hence the development of a flagellum etc. Evolution is not = we were monkeys. It is only a theory whom it can be tackled easily in many ways. I'm not here to tackle it, since I told u before I see nothing against evolution, however I do not agree that we were monkeys as I believe that monkeys were once a tribe whom did not succumb to Allah, therefore were punished and turned into monkey, here I agree with evolution that monkeys then evolved into the different classes, apes, baboons, chimps etc.

Again..who told u we are against the big bang? I have nothing against it, yet I differ as usual in something, which in this case would be the cause of the bigbang you say its unknown or some argue that certain molecular formula fission blablabla OK but what caused that reaction in the first place? I say to u we believe God's command if there existed ever a bigbang.

What I just said about the bigbang also aplies to what you said about lightning yes greeks were wrong I'm a muslim and still believe that wherever anything happens in the world its done by God's will as in lightnings earthquakes. Also, all creations plant life and animals and the sea etc pray non-stop day and night to allah.(I know your not gonna believe, I'm just saying for your own information about muslims)

"The process of evolution is simply a fact, no open mind needed. It's a process that is gong on right now, and can be observed and understood by anyone." be careful of what you say its not a fact its a theory.

Kuwait, Kuwait

#99 Jan 28, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>If you are a Muslim, then you are required to follow the teaching of the Quran, correct? Sharia law is what the Quran requires of Muslims. By Sharia law, anyone who attempt to change from the Islamic religion, or speaks out against Alah, or completely rejects the Muslim religion is violating Sharia law. The punishment for this religious crime is death. Maybe you're not a true Muslim and are somehow outside these religious laws. I guess that would make you subject to Sharia law. I'd be careful if I were you, there's not much compassion when it comes the Sharia law. People of your religion still act in barbaric ways. Beheadings and burying young women up the neck and then stoning them to death, floggings. Shameful religion, dragging those inhuman and barbaric practices out of the dark past and incorporating them in what should be a time of great advancement for our species.
I am a true muslim, may be u have not heard of maraji'a? I follow the sistani and in Islam when a scholar has studied the sharia well and fiq of Islam he is allowed to do fatwa. Meaning he can tell us to follow this and interpret this or that, which we follow, He has the right to you logic, reasoning and his OWN interpretations. however the basics cannot change. What you have mentioned is not a basic its simply a verse who has been revealed at a time where Mohammed, had signed a treaty with the infidels for about 6 or 7 years I do not remember well. By that time they spread the religion and so on. Anyway nack then this was a purpose and a meaning since they had no choice but to be at wars. Not that Islam wants to..but the infidels do. I have an entire lecture about this explained in depth every single detail and all versus that concern it, if your interested I'll send u the mp3 file (Its in English)

There are far many things u do not understand, right now I forgot the word, but there is something we can use and it is Halal to do, which if for example we read this verse and then began questioning, we can refer to our books "Nahj Al Balagha" I assure u we are not irrational, and I'm a true muslim shiite I'm not impeccable commit sins and sad for it, yet I'm not blind about my religion.
Pat

East Granby, CT

#100 Jan 28, 2013
Atheists, like theists may or may not be good people but they tend to be more intelligent and can face death honestly, without the crutch of death denying mythology.

“Play with your food”

Location hidden

#101 Jan 28, 2013
Pat wrote:
Atheists, like theists may or may not be good people but they tend to be more intelligent and can face death honestly, without the crutch of death denying mythology.
Well said...

Kuwait, Kuwait

#102 Jan 28, 2013
Pat wrote:
question is why would they? since they are invulnerable to sinning. If u tell me nature and instincts. Explain why we are this way. There must be a creator out there who instilled this.
Pat

East Granby, CT

#103 Jan 28, 2013
Victor Belmont wrote:
<quoted text>
question is why would they? since they are invulnerable to sinning. If u tell me nature and instincts. Explain why we are this way. There must be a creator out there who instilled this.
If you were in business you would soon go bankrupt or get yourself killed you fool. Cheating has short term gain, long term loss and if you pee off the wrong person you might end up dead. Another good deterrent is prison and the last but not least reason to act ethically is so you can feel good about yourself. Don't you know enough to value your own self esteem? Who wants to go through life knowing their are a lair and a cheat? My self esteem means a lot to me and my quality of life and this is why I don't need the fear of punishment from some imaginary man in the sky to behave ethically. If you are the type to have no understanding to the value of having good self esteem then you are the type to be perplexed as to why people behave ethically.

It seems to me that the idea of a personal God is an anthropological concept which I cannot take seriously. I also cannot imagine some will or goal outside the human sphere.... Science has been charged with undermining morality, but the charge is unjust. A man's ethical behavior should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties and needs; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death.
-- Albert Einstein, "Religion and Science," New York Times Magazine, 9 November 1930

Kuwait, Kuwait

#104 Jan 28, 2013
Pat wrote:
<quoted text>
If you were in business you would soon go bankrupt or get yourself killed you fool. Cheating has short term gain, long term loss and if you pee off the wrong person you might end up dead. Another good deterrent is prison and the last but not least reason to act ethically is so you can feel good about yourself. Don't you know enough to value your own self esteem? Who wants to go through life knowing their are a lair and a cheat? My self esteem means a lot to me and my quality of life and this is why I don't need the fear of punishment from some imaginary man in the sky to behave ethically. If you are the type to have no understanding to the value of having good self esteem then you are the type to be perplexed as to why people behave ethically.
It seems to me that the idea of a personal God is an anthropological concept which I cannot take seriously. I also cannot imagine some will or goal outside the human sphere.... Science has been charged with undermining morality, but the charge is unjust. A man's ethical behavior should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties and needs; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death.
-- Albert Einstein, "Religion and Science," New York Times Magazine, 9 November 1930
Thats not the point, you simple try to find twists and turns while I can easily shut u down; Forget the businessman, Lets say a genuin in hackering, or any other shit, intelligence can reach beyond expectations, or lets say because of his brilliant charisma and intellect, he managed to become a tyrant, or lets say conquer the world I know its exaggerating, but still possible right? there is a chance someone can do it, hence this atheist conquered the world now finally he sins and no one can do anything about it, you views are sick since they do not hold hope for the poor oppressed, who's cries are not heard, no God is out there to save him what a sick cruel world we live in.

I posted this to the chimp guy, might interest you; very well let as assume I'm an atheist for the time being. I'm far superior than you since I am not controlled by my emotions you are a humiliation, you say your not controlled by God yet your controlled by your feelings, thus doing good and being a good man. I'm far much beyond you not only am I free from the control of God, but I'm also free from the control of my feelings.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 4 min homer 969,787
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 4 min Buck Crick 37,152
Do married white women secretly want a black guy? (Nov '10) 6 min Johnny 16
*** All Time Favorite Songs *** (Dec '10) 8 min Popz7778 3,603
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 11 min Phooey 641,011
Leslie Van Houten's parole hearing August 2009 (Jul '09) 15 min Slurpz3205 1,580
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 17 min Mouth9541 182,263
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 23 min Grapes5351 104,549
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 24 min Kisses7644 280,847
More from around the web