Are Atheists Good People?

“There is no Truth in Faith”

Since: Dec 08

nowhere near a pound of $100's

#945 Apr 24, 2013
Working for the Lord wrote:
<quoted text> Why, seriously, the evidence is overwhelming to me, and the fact that a fairy tale is to be believed by children, not adults. It's impossible for an adult to believe a known fairy tale as anything but a fairy tale. Why would an adult "desire" to believe in a fairytale, it's beyond normal reasoning to believe something that is totally known to be a fairytale. The bible is only said by atheists to be a fairytale not by anyone but atheist, which is common. When atheists were a child they believed in the fairytales that were mentioned until like christians when they came to be an adult stopped believing. Atheist believe in what God has created rather than the creator and he mentions this would happen long before it did. So believing in fairytales an adult isn't normal behaviour, but believing in God as an adult who tells us everything from the beginning of what was created and why and what to expect after death and everything in between. God didn't make it so easy for one to believe because our minds are meant to be used. If God made it clear that he is real then of course everyone would believe, what good would that be if it was simply given to you instead of showing God your ability to think and reason, it wouldn't be and you simply would be a robot. If there were no God your choices wouldn't matter except when breaking the law which then you would pay for your bad choices, I guess you would like no law also? God exsist and we have a duty to make a choice, our soul depends on it to believe and live the way he wants us to in his world he created for us. When you can prove he doesn't exsist like you do with other things in science then change will be obvious, without a doubt, life will be totally different from what it is now.
"Why don't you believe in Santa? He believes in you!"

Essentially, this is the same argument you are using with regard to your God.

When you start to employ your ability to think and reason, you find that there is no difference between the evidence for Santa and the evidence for your God.

"Fables should be taught as fables, myths as myths, and miracles as poetic fancies. To teach superstitions as truths is a most terrible thing." - Hypatia of Alexandria (370 - 415 AD)

"Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call to her tribunal every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blindfolded fear."
Thomas Jefferson

"I would love to believe that when I die I will live again, that some thinking, feeling, remembering part of me will continue. But much as I want to believe that, and despite the ancient and worldwide cultural traditions that assert an afterlife, I know of nothing to suggest that it is more than wishful thinking. The world is so exquisite with so much love and moral depth, that there is no reason to deceive ourselves with pretty stories for which there's little good evidence. Far better it seems to me, in our vulnerability, is to look death in the eye and to be grateful every day for the brief but magnificent opportunity that life provides." - Carl Sagan

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#946 Apr 25, 2013
Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
"Why don't you believe in Santa?
Ooogah I do believe in santa claus as a fairytale now that I'm an adult, but as a child our minds haven't received the necessary information to rationalize Santa any other way than real, and not only real but as a child our minds allow us to live as Santa is a part of the real world and so we even send letters, desire to go see him, desire to go to the north pole and live with him, so we not only think he's real we live with him as if he's a real person. I believe if you will get the New King James bible or my favorite being the New Living Translation or the New American Standard Version and study the New Testament maybe you will receive the faith needed to believe. The bible is a book for adults with normal intellect. The Church of Christ is the only church on this planet that is teaching and worshipping the way God has commanded, yes I know this seems quite arrogant and crazy to you but life is short and since I'm talking to a very intelligent person I feel this approach is appropriate. All I can say to back up what I'm saying is to just read the new testament and see if the Church of Christ is doing what I said. We do not use musical instruments as there were no instruments used, not even one time as you will see in the new testament which is what we are to live and worship under. Ephesians 5;19 19 singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs among yourselves, and making music to the Lord in your hearts. Colossian 3;16 16 Let the message about Christ, in all its richness, fill your lives. Teach and counsel each other with all the wisdom he gives. Sing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs to God with thankful hearts. No clapping allowed. We take the Lord's supper and give every Lord's day, sunday. Ooogah the type of work you do as an investigator obviously takes skills to determine what happened in a detailed way, so I know your capable beyond a doubt to find God or simply ask God for the faith needed to believe in him. Again I urge you to go to the nearest Church of Christ and listen to what's being said and prove for yourself if what is being said is true.

#947 Apr 25, 2013
<quoted text> Ooogah I do believe in santa claus as a fairytale now that I'm an adult, but as a child our minds haven't received the necessary information to rationalize Santa any other way than real, and not only real but as a child our minds allow us to live as Santa is a part of the real world and so we even send letters, desire to go see him, desire to go to the north pole and live with him, so we not only think he's real we live with him as if he's a real person. I believe if you will get the New King James bible or my favorite being the New Living Translation or the New American Standard Version and study the New Testament maybe you will receive the faith needed to believe. The bible is a book for adults with normal intellect. The Church of Christ is the only church on this planet that is teaching and worshipping the way God has commanded, yes I know this seems quite arrogant and crazy to you but life is short and since I'm talking to a very intelligent person I feel this approach is appropriate. All I can say to back up what I'm saying is to just read the new testament and see if the Church of Christ is doing what I said. We do not use musical instruments as there were no instruments used, not even one time as you will see in the new testament which is what we are to live and worship under. Ephesians 5;19 19 singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs among yourselves, and making music to the Lord in your hearts. Colossian 3;16 16 Let the message about Christ, in all its richness, fill your lives. Teach and counsel each other with all the wisdom he gives. Sing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs to God with thankful hearts. No clapping allowed. We take the Lord's supper and give every Lord's day, sunday. Ooogah the type of work you do as an investigator obviously takes skills to determine what happened in a detailed way, so I know your capable beyond a doubt to find God or simply ask God for the faith needed to believe in him. Again I urge you to go to the nearest Church of Christ and listen to what's being said and prove for yourself if what is being said is true.
How is this any different than my saying, "I do believe in God as a fairytale now that I'm an adult, but as a child our minds haven't received the necessary information to rationalize God any other way than real, and not only real but as a child our minds allow us to live as God is a part of the real world and so we even send letters, desire to go see him, desire to go to heaven and live with him, so we not only think he's real we live with him as if he's a real person."

Seriously, the only difference is the God fairy tale was written for adults <perhaps with thinking disabilities> the Santa fairy tale was written for children.

But they were both written for infantile minds.

Religion is for infantile minds who prefer absurdity to uncertainty.

Location hidden

#948 Apr 25, 2013
<quoted text> Time will obviously not be as you and I are accustomed to here on earth. Jesus said your body will take on a spiritual body to adapt for eternity. The problem we have is we try to rationalize what God does with our minds, and that's ok in some circumstances, but in other circumstances it will be useless.
Would those circumstances be when it explains the existence of God or when it doesn't explain the existence of God, respectively?

I have seen that believers will try to rationalize what God does when it suits their argument, but not when it defeats their argument. Atheists don't have a belief in a god, so they have no opportunity to rationalize God. About all they can do is look at what evidence exists, and with no evidence existing of a god, and considerable evidence existing to disprove certain of the Bible stories, which some believers claim are factual, if they are interested in discussing a topic about something they have no belief in, then they can point out these evidences or lack of them.

Location hidden

#949 Apr 25, 2013
boooots wrote:
<quoted text>
Would those circumstances be when it explains the existence of God or when it doesn't explain the existence of God, respectively?
I have seen that believers will try to rationalize what God does when it suits their argument, but not when it defeats their argument. Atheists don't have a belief in a god, so they have no opportunity to rationalize God. About all they can do is look at what evidence exists, and with no evidence existing of a god, and considerable evidence existing to disprove certain of the Bible stories, which some believers claim are factual, if they are interested in discussing a topic about something they have no belief in, then they can point out these evidences or lack of them.
To me God exsists so I use what I have knowledge of God to try and help others hopefully believe There are many many people profess to know God but they don't. These people are usually people who have believed what someone has told them is true and never have checked to see what is true or not. God says people die of ignorance, meaning people are lazy, don't study or believe others without verifying whether or not it's true or not. An atheists believe without fact that life started by random particles colliding together and boom life exsists, no proof in that at all ever happening. God tells us exactly how life and everything in life were created, atheism can't. You have no facts but for a believer we do. You can't say how man was created but the bible can and does in great detail, you say there's no life after death but you have no proof, we are told by the bible there is life after death. You can't tell us why we were created, the bible does. Ooogah says the bible were written by infantile minds, really. I can guarantee you and Ooogah couldn't do it, that is a fact, so no it was not written with infantile minds, it was written by God. Your reason for not believing is your choice and I respect that. I have learned a long time ago to respect others in their beliefs and simply put info that may help them if they so desire to come to God and leave it up to them. I love God and my life and know what to expect in this life and after this life also, if you choose not to believe I hope all the happiness for you in life as you're deserving of a good happy life., The Church of Christ is the only church that preaches, teaches and worships in spirit and in truth, if you like, study and see if I'm correct or not, that doesn't mean you have to become a christian, it simply will show you if I'm telling the truth or not

Location hidden

#950 Apr 25, 2013
Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
How is this any different than my saying, "I do believe in God as a fairytale now that I'm an adult, but as a child our minds haven't received the necessary information to rationalize God any other way than real, and not only real but as a child our minds allow us to live as God is a part of the real world and so we even send letters, desire to go see him, desire to go to heaven and live with him, so we not only think he's real we live with him as if he's a real person."
Seriously, the only difference is the God fairy tale was written for adults <perhaps with thinking disabilities> the Santa fairy tale was written for children.
But they were both written for infantile minds.
Religion is for infantile minds who prefer absurdity to uncertainty.
Infantile minds you say, which is your right to say, and I respect what you say, but simply disagree.

“ad victoriam”

Since: Dec 10

arte et marte

#952 Apr 25, 2013
<quoted text> Infantile minds you say, which is your right to say, and I respect what you say, but simply disagree.
You are right of course, it wasn't written to infantile minds per se. It was written by the hammer, for the nails. It was written to those who will be driven and easily led.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#954 Apr 25, 2013
<quoted text>There were eight known New Testament writers: Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, Peter, Paul, James, and Jude (the writer of Hebrews is unknown). Let us look carefully at these men. http://carm.org/was-new-testament-written-hun... . Paul's own testimony claims specifically that he both saw and heard Jesus, as well as speaking to Him. This occurred to qualify Paul as an eyewitness, which was an essential requirement in order for one to be an apostle (Acts 1:21,22). This means that Saul was a "witness" in the same sense as the other apostles: he was able to tell people that he had personally seen Jesus alive after His death.
Yes Ooogah there is a God.
The difficulty with that claim is that the Jesus had already left.

He's back now, and he just told me that Paul was full of it.

#955 Apr 25, 2013
<quoted text>There were eight known New Testament writers: Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, Peter, Paul, James, and Jude (the writer of Hebrews is unknown). Let us look carefully at these men. http://carm.org/was-new-testament-written-hun... . Paul's own testimony claims specifically that he both saw and heard Jesus, as well as speaking to Him. This occurred to qualify Paul as an eyewitness, which was an essential requirement in order for one to be an apostle (Acts 1:21,22). This means that Saul was a "witness" in the same sense as the other apostles: he was able to tell people that he had personally seen Jesus alive after His death.
So if I had a wet dream about Jessica Alba, that means it really happened? Incredible!! I wonder if her hubby knows?

The claimed authors were not the actual authors of those books of the NT. http://www.deusdiapente.net/science/gospels.p...

It's amazing how little Christians know about the origins of their silly little black book.
Anon

Cleveland, OH

#956 Apr 25, 2013
Are atheists good people?
The answer is definitely no...
We knock over picnic tables, mess up people's hair, take candy away from children, knock on doors then run away, and flick boogers at anyone in our way. As soon as I'm finished here, I'm gonna trash some bird feeders.

Location hidden

#957 Apr 25, 2013
Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
So if I had a wet dream about Jessica Alba, that means it really happened? Incredible!! I wonder if her hubby knows?
The claimed authors were not the actual authors of those books of the NT. http://www.deusdiapente.net/science/gospels.p...
It's amazing how little Christians know about the origins of their silly little black book.
So now you're telling me that the authors were actually not the authors, really? I beg to differ Ooogah, as I know they are. If you're comfortable with what you believe than so be it, as I am also comfortable with what I believe to be the truth, and you know only one of us can be right.

Location hidden

#960 Apr 25, 2013
S

Sorry, a person doesn't qualify as an eye witness by writing a story, putting himself in the story, and by doing that it is a true story. All of the authors that you mentioned are not known. John was named John long after it was written and is consider as being anonymously written. There are allegedly several guesses as to who the author was, but it is not know for certain.

None of the books of the Old or New Testaments have been verified as facts. That is not belief of mine but has always been stated even by believers. People believe these things because no one "knows for sure" they are true. Some of the stories definitely are not true and that has been proven.

Location hidden

#961 Apr 25, 2013
Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
To be divinely inspired, a book must be historically accurate. For if its credibility cannot be established on the basis of known events, it certainly cannot be relied upon as an adequate guide in matters beyond our ability to check. On the other hand, if we can demonstrate that such a book is correct in historical matters, to an extent unknown among human writings, then we have strong evidence that the authors were inspired by God. In this lesson we shall learn that this is true of the Bible.
Down through the centuries, enemies of the Bible have attacked its historical accuracy. Time after time, the Scriptures have been thus questioned, only later to be shown correct by archaeology. Archaeology is a study of relics, monuments, tombs, artifacts, etc., of ancient civilizations. Peoples and events, known before only in Biblical accounts, have been brought to light by the excavations of ancient cities. Always, the Bible has been proven right. Let us consider a few of the cases of such findings:
Grapes In Egypt:
In Genesis 40 we are told how Joseph interpreted the dream of Pharaoh's butler. In this dream grapes are mentioned. But the ancient historian, Herodotus, states that the Egyptians grew no grapes and drank no wine, and many therefore questioned the accuracy of the biblical account. However, paintings discovered on the ancient Egyptian tombs, show the dressing, pruning, and cultivating of the vines, and also the process of extracting the juice of grapes, as well as scenes of drunkenness. There can be little doubt then that Herodotus was wrong and the Bible right.
The Bricks Of Pithom:
In Exodus 1:11, we are told that the children of Israel built the treasure cities of Pithom and Raamses for Pharaoh. In Exodus 5, we are informed that they made bricks first using straw, and then using stubble, because no straw was furnished them for that purpose. In 1883, Naville, and in 1908, Kyle, found at Pithom, one of the cities built by Israel, that the lower courses were built of bricks filled with good, chopped straw. The middle courses have less straw including stubble. The upper courses were made of pure clay, with no straw whatever. It is difficult to read the biblical account and not be astonished at the amazing confirmation which archaeology here has given to the Bible.
The Hittites:

Location hidden

#963 Apr 25, 2013
Part 3,
Jericho:
Joshua 6, tells how Israel conquered the walled city of Jericho. For six day they marched once around the city. On the seventh day they went around it seven times. The priests blew their trumpets, the people shouted, and when they did, "The wall fell down flat" (Joshua 6:20). The people then rushed strait way into the city and burned it. They took none of it to themselves. They saved Rahab who lived in a house upon the wall and who had helped them previously.
Starting in 1929, Dr. John Garstang, excavated the ruins of ancient Jericho. His discoveries corresponded remarkably with the Biblical account. Jericho, he found, had a double wall, with houses built across the two walls. This explains how Rahab's house could have been built upon a wall. He learned that the wall was destroyed by some kind of violent convulsion such as that described in the Bible, and that when the wall feel that it fell outward, down the hillside, or as the Bible says, it fell down flat. Had the wall been destroyed by the battering rams of an enemy army, the walls would have fallen inward instead of outward. Furthermore, the city had been burned. Once again, the spade of archaeology has established the accuracy of the Bible.
Sergius Paulus, The Proconsul:
In Acts 13:7, mention is made of Sergius Paulus, the proconsul of Cyprus. For a long time, skeptics contended that Luke should have called him propraetor instead of proconsul since this was the usual title. However, coins discovered on Cyprus, have positively established that the governors of Cyprus were proconsuls. One such coin found at Soli on Cyprus bears the inscription, "Paulus the Proconsul", very possibly referring to the very man mentioned in Acts.
Confirmation By Non-Biblical Writers:
Some Biblical accounts have been substantiated by non-Biblical writers. For example: the Jewish historian Josephus has said many things concerning facts in the Bible. For example: in Matthew 14:3,4, we are told that Herod put John the Baptist to death for the sake of Herodias, his brother Philip's wife, because John had informed Herod that it wasn't lawful for him to have her as his wife. Josephus tells us why it was unlawful. Herodias had originally been married to Herod's brother, Philip. But she divorced Philip and married Herod. this unlawful marriage was the occasion of John's rebuke. The account of Josephus and the Bible are in perfect accord.
Apparent Inconsistencies:
Apparent inconsistencies fade away whenever the Bible is studied with an open mind. An example is found in regard to the ruling family of Palestine In Matthew 2:1, we read of "Herod the King" who was reigning when Jesus was born. Matthew 2:19 records his death. Yet in Acts 12:1-2, we read once more of "Herod the King" putting James to death. How could he do this if he were already dead? Does the Bible contradict itself? Josephus, an unbeliever in Christ, explains the difficulty by showing that Herod of Acts 12, was actually the grandson of the Herod mentioned in Matthew 2. The Bible agrees perfectly with the facts.
Again, Luke 2:1, mentions "Caesar Augustus" as the ruling monarch of the Roman Empire. In Luke 3:1, we are told that John the Baptist began his ministry in the fifteenth year of the reign of Tiberius Caesar.
Working for the Lord

Location hidden
Please wait... Reply ยป
|Report Abuse |Judge it!|#3880 4 min ago
Final part,

Location hidden

#965 Apr 25, 2013
boooots wrote:
<quoted text>S
Sorry, a person doesn't qualify as an eye witness by writing a story, putting himself in the story, and by doing that it is a true story. All of the authors that you mentioned are not known. John was named John long after it was written and is consider as being anonymously written. There are allegedly several guesses as to who the author was, but it is not know for certain.
None of the books of the Old or New Testaments have been verified as facts. That is not belief of mine but has always been stated even by believers. People believe these things because no one "knows for sure" they are true. Some of the stories definitely are not true and that has been proven.
Eyewitnesses are used every day to convict people in a court of law, but not good enough to be credible of bible facts?,I must disagree.

Location hidden

#966 Apr 25, 2013
boooots wrote:
<quoted text>S
I would be very interested to see where you get this information from.

The Borderland of Sol

#967 Apr 25, 2013
Anon wrote:
Are atheists good people?
The answer is definitely no...
We knock over picnic tables, mess up people's hair, take candy away from children, knock on doors then run away, and flick boogers at anyone in our way. As soon as I'm finished here, I'm gonna trash some bird feeders.
At least we don't knock on strange doors on weekend mornings...

The Borderland of Sol

#968 Apr 25, 2013
<quoted text> So now you're telling me that the authors were actually not the authors, really? I beg to differ Ooogah, as I know they are. If you're comfortable with what you believe than so be it, as I am also comfortable with what I believe to be the truth, and you know only one of us can be right.
Good gravy, you really are that dense...

The "authors" of all four canonical gospels are unknown. The names ascribed to them are a matter of tradition (or deception) not applied until centuries later.

The Borderland of Sol

#969 Apr 25, 2013
<quoted text> I would be very interested to see where you get this information from.
Think a moment, willya?

The fact that I claim to be an eyewitness to something does NOT mean that I am one. Especially if I wasn't there.
Nobody

Irving, TX

#970 Apr 26, 2013
Well to be real, No one is good living on this planet.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Free CLASSIFIEDS | POST UNLIMITED FREE CLASSIFI... (Mar '16) 14 min gina5l 3
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing 19 min swampmudd 2,733
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 28 min Bongo 119,228
God is REAL - Miracles Happen! (Jun '11) 1 hr Paul Scott 6,274
is god black or white? and why? (Oct '08) 3 hr Paul Scott 457
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 3 hr kent 679,242
*** All Time Favorite Songs *** (Dec '10) 4 hr xavier 4,112
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 7 hr VIKING EATS YOUR ... 982,143
More from around the web