Are Atheists Good People?

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#864 Feb 24, 2013
Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
Your information is not correct there was no bible before 450 AD it was in the form of oral traditions and scattered writings until that time. When the first Bible appeared, it was the ONLY bible in existance and it was Catholic. Your protestant versions did not begin to appear til circa 1545.
You need to brush up on secular history and stop listening to your preacher.
The bible was completed by 100 A.D. and those scattered writings as you call them were manuscripts that were complete, and copies of those manuscripts were made and given to the christians for teaching others of the good news. There were more than 15,000 copies made of the new testament alone.The oral traditions were of the bible. Orally was done with knowkedge of what others heard that was preached and orally was also read from the manuscripts, which were copies that were passed around. But the bible was complete and in circulation in it's entirety long before your date of 450 A.D.

Location hidden

#865 Feb 24, 2013
Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
Your information is not correct there was no bible before 450 AD it was in the form of oral traditions and scattered writings until that time. When the first Bible appeared, it was the ONLY bible in existance and it was Catholic. Your protestant versions did not begin to appear til circa 1545.
You need to brush up on secular history and stop listening to your preacher.
Manuscript evidence for superior New Testament reliability The New Testament is constantly under attack and its reliability and accuracy are often contested by critics. But, if the critics want to disregard the New Testament, then they must also disregard other ancient writings by Plato, Aristotle, and Homer. This is because the New Testament documents are better preserved and more numerous than any other ancient writing. Because the copies are so numerous, they can be cross checked for accuracy. This process has determined that the biblical documents are extremely consistent and accurate. There are presently 5,686 Greek manuscripts in existence today for the New Testament.1 If we were to compare the number of New Testament manuscripts to other ancient writings, we find that the New Testament manuscripts far outweigh the others in quantity.[New Testament Studies][Bible History]
http://www.carm.org/evidence/textualevidence ....

“The Edge”

Since: Dec 10

Of Tomorow

#866 Feb 24, 2013
Working for the Lord wrote:
<quoted text> Manuscript evidence for superior New Testament reliability The New Testament is constantly under attack and its reliability and accuracy are often contested by critics. But, if the critics want to disregard the New Testament, then they must also disregard other ancient writings by Plato, Aristotle, and Homer. This is because the New Testament documents are better preserved and more numerous than any other ancient writing. Because the copies are so numerous, they can be cross checked for accuracy. This process has determined that the biblical documents are extremely consistent and accurate. There are presently 5,686 Greek manuscripts in existence today for the New Testament.1 If we were to compare the number of New Testament manuscripts to other ancient writings, we find that the New Testament manuscripts far outweigh the others in quantity.[New Testament Studies][Bible History]
The Bible like the other works you cite is historical fiction, some being correct and some accounts false. In fact all of them are regarded this way. Distinguishing between fact and fiction is hard for the believer of myth. But they all contain some truths and are understood this way by historians.
Sharkey

United States

#867 Feb 24, 2013
<quoted text> Nowhere in the New Testament is there a record of Roman Catholicism or any of the numerous Protestant denominations. How did the variety of present-day "churches" come into existence? The church always has been made up of human individuals, susceptible to human error. Paul warned the church at Corinth (1 Cor. 1:10-13) not to follow men - not even good men - instead of Christ. In that very passage he asks, "Is Christ divided?" Implied in his answer, "No!" Division comes from humans and their views, and especially so when we look to men rather than to the Bible for our authority.
The Roman Catholic system of religion evolved as men departed from and altered the original pattern. Examples of such unauthorized additions are: holy water; penance; Latin mass; extreme unction and purgatory. These practices came too late to be apostolic or "original." Perhaps the greatest departure came in the area of organization, and over a period of a few hundred years the traditional Roman Catholic hierarchy emerged, about 606 A.D., with an unscriptural leader (pope) called Boniface III.
Liberal scholars and fictional authors like to purport the idea that the gospels of Thomas and Peter (and other long-disputed books) contain truths that the church vehemently stomped out, but that simply has no basis historically. It is closer to the truth to say that no serious theologians really cared about these books because they were obviously written by people lying about authorship and had little basis in reality. That is one reason why a council declaring the canon was so late in coming (397 AD), because the books that were trusted and the ones that had been handed down were already widely known.
Read more: http://www.gotquestions.org/Constantine-Bible...
That's simply because your particular sect told you this about the catholic church, and of course, you'd seek out sources to confirm your bias.
The New Testament does not have to "cancel out" other writings, like the old testament.(Just what was wrong with the old testament, anyway?)

As a suffering human on this planet, I ask you, please, to give up this doctrine.
It is divisive, prejudiced, and judgemental towards others of different beliefs, and is causing the human race to fight against itself to death over something as simple as a story and how it's told.
Please stop trying to end the world.
Sharkey

United States

#868 Feb 24, 2013
<quoted text> Manuscript evidence for superior New Testament reliability The New Testament is constantly under attack and its reliability and accuracy are often contested by critics. But, if the critics want to disregard the New Testament, then they must also disregard other ancient writings by Plato, Aristotle, and Homer. This is because the New Testament documents are better preserved and more numerous than any other ancient writing. Because the copies are so numerous, they can be cross checked for accuracy. This process has determined that the biblical documents are extremely consistent and accurate. There are presently 5,686 Greek manuscripts in existence today for the New Testament.1 If we were to compare the number of New Testament manuscripts to other ancient writings, we find that the New Testament manuscripts far outweigh the others in quantity.[New Testament Studies][Bible History]
No, this is a lie and it's too bad that you feel such a need to keep parroting it over and over.
It is hilarious that you'd equate the writings of Aristotle, Plato, and Homer, who were people that actually are proved to have existed, to a "new testament" that is likely NOT true at all but just a fantasy.
There is no "strength in numbers" in this case, just extra useless information, fantasy, and outright lies. This does nothing but further divide us- all because of doctrine.

Fighting over doctrine is a fight we humans just can no longer afford to have.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#869 Feb 24, 2013
This is the beginning of the Church of Christ. The bible speaks not one word of a Catholic church. There isn't anything in the bible about a Catholic church, because the church in the bible on the day of Pentecost is the Church of Christ. The Catholic church branched off the Church of Christ and became known in the third century, long after the beginning of the Church of Christ came into exsistence. When church leaders decided to go their own way because of persuasion from the Romans to start a church pleasing to the Romans they sealed their fate with eternal seperation from God. The Churches of Christ still worship according to the way God commands, the catholic unfortunately have decided to change everything up and worship their way. The bible clearly tells us how to worship. Unfortunately there our Churches of Christ today who have decided to add musical instruments to there worship, which is not authorized by Jesus Christ, that makes these churches no longer a true church of Christ, they are now lost. The true Churches of Christ have no instruments and was started on the day of Pentecost. Mark 16;16, Romans 16;16, Matthew 16;18 The true church believes that baptism is essential unto salvation.
Simply Sad, is that you?

Location hidden

#870 Feb 24, 2013
Sharkey wrote:
<quoted text>.
Your suffering need not be, especially when you have a God who wants to give you everything, including a home in heaven. The Church of Christ is your only chance for salvation.
Hear the Word, by attending services of the Church of Christ.
Romans 10:17
So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.
John 5:24-25
Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life. Verily, verily, I say unto you, The hour is coming, and now is, when the dead shall hear the voice of the Son of God: and they that hear shall live.
Truly Believe in God and that Jesus is His Son.
Mark 16:15-16
And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.
John 3:36
He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.
Sincerely Repent of your past Sins
Romans 3:23
For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;
Acts 17:30
And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent:
Luke 13:3
I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.
Confess Jesus before men.
Luke 12:8
Also I say unto you, Whosoever shall confess me before men, him shall the Son of man also confess before the angels of God:
1 John 4:15
Whosoever shall confess that Jesus is the Son of God, God dwelleth in him, and he in God.
Matthew 10:32-33
Whosoever therefore shall confess me before men, him will I confess also before my Father which is in heaven. But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven
Be Baptized
Colossians 2:12
Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead.
Acts 2:38
Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Remain Faithful until death

Location hidden

#871 Feb 24, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Simply Sad, is that you?
Yes it's me, how have you been? Well are you ready for me to attempt to save your soul, so you and I can have an eternity to know each other better?

Location hidden

#872 Feb 24, 2013
Sharkey wrote:
<quoted text>No, this is a lie and it's too bad that you feel such a need to keep parroting it over and over.
It is hilarious that you'd equate the writings of Aristotle, Plato, and Homer, who were people that actually are proved to have existed, to a "new testament" that is likely NOT true at all but just a fantasy.
There is no "strength in numbers" in this case, just extra useless information, fantasy, and outright lies. This does nothing but further divide us- all because of doctrine.
Fighting over doctrine is a fight we humans just can no longer afford to have.
Snap out of it. There is a God who loves you, so here's what you do to get right with God.

Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life. Verily, verily, I say unto you, The hour is coming, and now is, when the dead shall hear the voice of the Son of God: and they that hear shall live.

And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.

And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent:

Luke 12:8

Also I say unto you, Whosoever shall confess me before men, him shall the Son of man also confess before the angels of God:

Whosoever shall confess that Jesus is the Son of God, God dwelleth in him, and he in God.

Whosoever therefore shall confess me before men, him will I confess also before my Father which is in heaven. But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven

Be Baptized

Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead.

Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Since: Feb 13

Beachwood, OH

#873 Feb 25, 2013
That would depend on whose judging. Man or God? Because God is real, believe it or not. And one day we ALL will bow down before Him when the time comes for you to account for what you have done with this life He has given you. I'm just sayin'... I hope you get right while you still have the chance. I pray that you do.

Location hidden

#874 Feb 25, 2013
CommonSense101_ wrote:
That would depend on whose judging. Man or God? Because God is real, believe it or not. And one day we ALL will bow down before Him when the time comes for you to account for what you have done with this life He has given you. I'm just sayin'... I hope you get right while you still have the chance. I pray that you do.
Well said.

The Borderland of Sol

#875 Feb 25, 2013
<quoted text> Yes it's me, how have you been? Well are you ready for me to attempt to save your soul, so you and I can have an eternity to know each other better?
I'd rather stick needles in my eyes.

Your cultish epic idiocy didn't work last time - what makes you think changing avatars will yield a different result?

Location hidden

#876 Feb 25, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>I'd rather stick needles in my eyes.
Your cultish epic idiocy didn't work last time - what makes you think changing avatars will yield a different result?
You got a lot more to worry about than needles being stuck in your eyes, so pay attention. Listen God is real, and if you would read your bible, I mean, read the bible on your computer and you'll see the truth. Over and over God keeps telling people to use faith to get to know him, so try it and see. Lay off the science books and get right with God.

The Borderland of Sol

#877 Feb 25, 2013
<quoted text> You got a lot more to worry about than needles being stuck in your eyes, so pay attention. Listen God is real, and if you would read your bible, I mean, read the bible on your computer and you'll see the truth. Over and over God keeps telling people to use faith to get to know him, so try it and see. Lay off the science books and get right with God.
I have read the bible, cover to cover. Several versions.

How do you think I became an atheist?

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#878 Feb 25, 2013
CommonSense101_ wrote:
"Bow down before him"

What a demeaning religion you follow...

The Borderland of Sol

#879 Feb 25, 2013
Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>
"Bow down before him"
What a demeaning religion you follow...
"You have free will, and I love you all.
But if you don't do what I want, I'm going to torture you for eternity."

*blink*

Location hidden

#880 Feb 25, 2013
PFfff wrote:
anybody can be a good person, being atheist does not prevent a person from being good.
I believe they have decent morals, sadly though their lost eternally because of their ignorance to believe thanks to their sick obsession with science. This willful ignorance came to be when Darwin came on to the scene and polluted their minds with ludricous ideas, and that's the reason for atheism being alive.

Location hidden

#881 Feb 25, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>I have read the bible, cover to cover. Several versions.
How do you think I became an atheist?
What seemed to be the reason for you not believing what you read. It makes no sense to me how you could not believe with all the evidence, such as artifacts, manuscripts, eyewitnesses and the fact the Apostles lived a life of torment daily and then was crucified for their belief. People don't believe and live a life of daily suffering for a lie. The Church of Christ is the ONLY church that worships in spirit and in truth, it's the only church on this planet that you can be saved, so if I was you I certainly be getting to the nearest Church of Christ and getting your life right with God.

Be Baptized

Location hidden

#882 Feb 25, 2013
<quoted text> I believe they have decent morals, sadly though their lost eternally because of their ignorance to believe thanks to their sick obsession with science. This willful ignorance came to be when Darwin came on to the scene and polluted their minds with ludricous ideas, and that's the reason for atheism being alive.
You don't believe there were atheists before Darwin?

LOL

Location hidden

#883 Feb 25, 2013
<quoted text> I believe they have decent morals, sadly though their lost eternally because of their ignorance to believe thanks to their sick obsession with science. This willful ignorance came to be when Darwin came on to the scene and polluted their minds with ludricous ideas, and that's the reason for atheism being alive.
So you believe that atheists can be good and moral but still deserve to burned in a lake of fire for all eternity just because they don't believe in your god?

That would make him a needy sociopath, wouldn't it?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 3 min Darwins Stepchild 880,176
*** All Time Favorite Songs *** (Dec '10) 7 min Halle Berry Sister 2,862
Difference between white masons and black masons (Apr '08) 21 min Illustrious 347
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 24 min marge 603,438
Tamil vs Kannada. Which one is the oldest langu... (Oct '12) 37 min Neelakaran 1,869
Which is the Oldest Indian Language? Sanskrit V... (Jul '08) 41 min Neelakaran 7,646
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 50 min dollarsbill 8,287
The Christian Atheist debate 1 hr too lazy to log in 3,982
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 8 hr gentlepplpleaser 177,894
More from around the web