Are Atheists Good People?

“There is no Truth in Faith”

Since: Dec 08

nowhere near a pound of $100's

#800 Feb 23, 2013
Working for the Lord wrote:
Atheists and the word "faith". Atheists understand thoroughly the word faith, they understand the meaning and how it's used. Atheists just like the rest of us use faith everyday in one way or another, whether in people or things it's a fact that we all use it everyday. Since atheists use it for other purposes, then why do they not use it to believe in God? The atheists believe their must be proof, facts that substantiate without a doubt something exsists or not. Faith which is used daily is proven to work when one uses it over and over in their lives or they wouldn't continue to use it. An example of faith for instance would be like having faith in a service such as your phone carrier you use, as long as that service runs smoothly you're happy, when it starts to cause you headaches you then have no faith in it as a good phone service, so you change phone carriers. Having faith in people is another way we demostrate the use of faith. Let's say for instance you use a doctor who has always taken the time to listen to you and showed a level of compassion you became use to expecting, and then you noticed his attitude and his lack of paying attention changed and you felt uncomfortable with him displaying this type of behaviour over the course of the last 5 visits, so now you have lost faith in him and you now seek another doctor.. Atheists must have scientific proof that God exsists before they will believe, but they have no problem believing in people or things through faith but refuse to allow themselves to utilize faith to believe in God. God has made it perfectly clear time after time that no calculation or deciphering or scientific testing will ever prove of his exsistence, again time after time God has made it clear that no testing by a man made method will ever prove of him exsisting. He tells us the only way you can know he exsists and he tells us this many many times to make sure we understand that FAITH is the only way to know of him being real. God has made it to where on judgment day no excuses will be used, like the excuse of not using faith to believe in him as we do in people and things in our lives. This seals the fate of those who refuse to believe in God for what ever reason.(12 min ago (55 min ago | post #479)(22 min ago | post #605044)
This is total balderdash and religibable. When one has strong supporting verifiable evidence of something like the billions of years of the dawning of the sun with no rational reason to suspect it won't happen again, or the thousands of times starting a well maintained car, then you have verifiable evidence to support the assumption the sun will appear to rise in the am and your well maintained car will start in the morning, NO FAITH is required.

When you believe in something that has never been observed and there is no evidence to believe it even exists like your magic sky daddy, junior and the spook or thousands of other similar superstions http://www.godchecker.com that is faith and there is no truth in it. In fact it is stupid and reckless to believe in something for which there is no evidence.

#801 Feb 23, 2013
boooots wrote:
<quoted text>
Why would you assume that? It is a long established fact.
Yo Boooots!! How be ya?

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#802 Feb 23, 2013
Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
This is total balderdash and religibable. When one has strong supporting verifiable evidence of something like the billions of years of the dawning of the sun with no rational reason to suspect it won't happen again, or the thousands of times starting a well maintained car, then you have verifiable evidence to support the assumption the sun will appear to rise in the am and your well maintained car will start in the morning, NO FAITH is required.
When you believe in something that has never been observed and there is no evidence to believe it even exists like your magic sky daddy, junior and the spook or thousands of other similar superstions http://www.godchecker.com that is faith and there is no truth in it. In fact it is stupid and reckless to believe in something for which there is no evidence.
Just because you say there's no proof of God's exsistence is simply your reality, not mine. Most people will say you belong to a microminority group of people who simply decided to show your anger towards God by pretending he doesn't exsist while everyone else believes. Billions of years is a fantasy, try 8-10,000 years. Faith in God is no different than you in your car starting. You developed that faith by your car being well maintained, faith in God who I know through a relationship over many years of a well maintained relationship gives me the knowledge he exsists, just the way others have come to know he exsists. As for evidence there's enough proof he exsists without a doubt. Do you honestly think people believe in God without proof, if you do you're kidding yourself. There's a variety of proof which includes manuscripts, artifacts, eyewitnesses and etc.. The belief in God has been around forever, this isn't something that just occured. You believe life came to be in a way that most people believe is ridiculous, including me. You have no proof he doesn't exsists but yet you write like you know this to be a fact , and you don't.
christianity is EVIL

West Pubnico, Canada

#803 Feb 23, 2013
<quoted text> Just because you say there's no proof of God's exsistence is simply your reality, not mine. Most people will say you belong to a microminority group of people who simply decided to show your anger towards God by pretending he doesn't exsist while everyone else believes. Billions of years is a fantasy, try 8-10,000 years. Faith in God is no different than you in your car starting. You developed that faith by your car being well maintained, faith in God who I know through a relationship over many years of a well maintained relationship gives me the knowledge he exsists, just the way others have come to know he exsists. As for evidence there's enough proof he exsists without a doubt. Do you honestly think people believe in God without proof, if you do you're kidding yourself. There's a variety of proof which includes manuscripts, artifacts, eyewitnesses and etc.. The belief in God has been around forever, this isn't something that just occured. You believe life came to be in a way that most people believe is ridiculous, including me. You have no proof he doesn't exsists but yet you write like you know this to be a fact , and you don't.
like I said before
yes we have proof your god isnt real

www.evilbible.com/Impossible.htm

now go spread the word

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#804 Feb 23, 2013
<quoted text> Just because you say there's no proof of God's exsistence is simply your reality, not mine. Most people will say you belong to a microminority group of people who simply decided to show your anger towards God by pretending he doesn't exsist while everyone else believes. Billions of years is a fantasy, try 8-10,000 years. Faith in God is no different than you in your car starting. You developed that faith by your car being well maintained, faith in God who I know through a relationship over many years of a well maintained relationship gives me the knowledge he exsists, just the way others have come to know he exsists. As for evidence there's enough proof he exsists without a doubt. Do you honestly think people believe in God without proof, if you do you're kidding yourself. There's a variety of proof which includes manuscripts, artifacts, eyewitnesses and etc.. The belief in God has been around forever, this isn't something that just occured. You believe life came to be in a way that most people believe is ridiculous, including me. You have no proof he doesn't exsists but yet you write like you know this to be a fact , and you don't.
Wait...please don'g tell me you believe the world is 8,000 - 10,000 years old...please...

#805 Feb 23, 2013
There is a lot more evidence that my car will start in the morning and none that your God exists. A person can't hate something that doesn't exist.

You have no verifiable evidence that your God exists. In fact, the evidence that does exist suggests rather strongly that Paul/Saul and his buddies made up the whole NT. http://www.jesusneverexisted.com

The belief in leprechauns has been around forever, this isn't something that just occured. You believe life came to be in a way that most people believe is ridiculous, including me. You have no proof leprechauns don't exsists but yet you write like you know this to be a fact , and you don't.

See how that DOESN'T work? Bet not!

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#806 Feb 23, 2013
s/b "don't" above

Location hidden

#807 Feb 23, 2013
Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
There is a lot more evidence that my car will start in the morning and none that your God exists. A person can't hate something that doesn't exist.
You have no verifiable evidence that your God exists. In fact, the evidence that does exist suggests rather strongly that Paul/Saul and his buddies made up the whole NT. http://www.jesusneverexisted.com
The belief in leprechauns has been around forever, this isn't something that just occured. You believe life came to be in a way that most people believe is ridiculous, including me. You have no proof leprechauns don't exsists but yet you write like you know this to be a fact , and you don't.
See how that DOESN'T work? Bet not!
People don't get themselves crucified for a lie. This is absurd. To think Paul and his buddies made this up to live a life of daily persecution, beaten whipped, stoned and then crucified is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard.

#808 Feb 23, 2013
<quoted text> People don't get themselves crucified for a lie. This is absurd. To think Paul and his buddies made this up to live a life of daily persecution, beaten whipped, stoned and then crucified is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard.
In the first century, there was no separation of church and state. The state was the church and the church was the state. Paul/Saul was writing his lies for political power and wealth. He was eventually crucified by his enemy rivals which was a common fate for religious and political leaders (rulers) of that time.

It would have made no difference to his fate to recant his fantastic stories because his demise had nothing to do with them. It had to do with his losing power to his rival. His rival would have killed him with recantation or without recantation. It was about power, not silly stories.

Location hidden

#809 Feb 23, 2013
Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
In the first century, there was no separation of church and state. The state was the church and the church was the state. Paul/Saul was writing his lies for political power and wealth. He was eventually crucified by his enemy rivals which was a common fate for religious and political leaders (rulers) of that time.
It would have made no difference to his fate to recant his fantastic stories because his demise had nothing to do with them. It had to do with his losing power to his rival. His rival would have killed him with recantation or without recantation. It was about power, not silly stories.
Let me ask you a question and then I'll get back to you later. The question is, when was the roman catholic church started?
Sharkey

United States

#810 Feb 23, 2013
<quoted text> People don't get themselves crucified for a lie. This is absurd. To think Paul and his buddies made this up to live a life of daily persecution, beaten whipped, stoned and then crucified is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard.
Has it ever occured to you that Paul and his buddies "lived a life of daily persecustion, been whipped, stoned, then crucified" perhaps because, maybe, even the people back then KNEW that they were full of bullsh!t and lies?
OF COURSE you're going to whip or stone or crucify people that are LYING to you if that's the punishment for lying back then?
You sure forget your commandments whenever it suits you, don't you? No wonder people don't believe you, you're a bunch of LYING PHONY HYPOCRITES whose INFIGHTING WITH EACH OTHER is ENDING THE WORLD!
YES! IT IS YOU WHO IS BRINGING ARMEGEDDON!!
ARMEGEDDON IS YOUR FAULT! YOURS!
YES, they're "getting themselves crucified for their LIES! These ARE fallible human beings, why WOULDN'T they lie? Any words can become propaganda.

YOU NEED TO STOP WITH YOUR PROPAGANDA! YOU ARE CAUSING HUMAN SELF-EXTINCTION WITH PAUL'S LIES!

YOU "PAULITES" ARE A BUNCH OF MURDERERS!

PAUL'S LIES HAVE STARTED THE PROCESS OF ARMEGEDDON.

STOP THE LIES!
STOP THE LIES AND SAVE HUMANITY!
Sharkey

United States

#811 Feb 23, 2013
<quoted text> Let me ask you a question and then I'll get back to you later. The question is, when was the roman catholic church started?
What the hell for, so you can tell him he's "the wrong type of Christian"?

SMFH. Shame on you, you Armegeddon-instigating MURDERER.

You religonists have so much infighting amongst yourselves, even resulting in death, and someone has the NERVE to ask if "atheists are good people"?
Puh-leeze. Atheists don't fight each other to death over "whose god is the right one".

OP must be a big DUNDERHEAD.

#814 Feb 23, 2013
<quoted text> Let me ask you a question and then I'll get back to you later. The question is, when was the roman catholic church started?
And now a question for you; Why would an omnipotent, omnipresent, omniscient god need people to work for him?
Can you back your BS

Redding, CA

#815 Feb 23, 2013
Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
And now a question for you; Why would an omnipotent, omnipresent, omniscient god need people to work for him?
Who is making that claim, besides you?

Location hidden

#816 Feb 23, 2013
Final part,,,
Almost all biblical scholars agree that the New Testament documents were all written before the close of the First Century. If Jesus was crucified in 30 A.D., then that means that the entire New Testament was completed within 70 years. This is important because it means there were plenty of people around when the New Testament documents were penned who could have contested the writings. In other words, those who wrote the documents knew that if they were inaccurate, plenty of people would have pointed it out. But, we have absolutely no ancient documents contemporary with the First Century that contest the New Testament texts.
Furthermore, another important aspect of this discussion is the fact that we have a fragment of the gospel of John that dates back to around 29 years from the original writing (John Rylands Papyri 125 A.D.). This is extremely close to the original writing date. This is simply unheard of in any other ancient writing and it demonstrates that the Gospel of John is a First Century document.
Below is a chart with some of the oldest extant New Testament manuscripts compared to when they were originally penned. Compare these time spans with the next closest which is Homer's Iliad where the closest copy from the original is 500 years later. Undoubtedly, that period of time allows for more textual corruption in its transmission. How much less so for the New Testament documents?
Important
Manuscript
Papyri
Contents
Date
Original Written
MSS
Date
Approx.
Time Span
(John Rylands
Fragment)3
John 18:31-33,37-38
circa
96 A.D.
circa
A.D.
29 yrs
John Rylands Library, Manchester, England
P46
(Chester Beatty Papyrus)
Rom. 5:17-6:3,5-14; 8:15-25, 27-35; 10:1-11,22,24-33,35; 16:1-23, 25-27; Heb.; 1 & 2 Cor., Eph., Gal., Phil., Col.; 1 Thess. 1:1,9-10; 2:1-3; 5:5-9, 23-28
50's-70's
circa
A.D.
Approx.
150 yrs
Chester Beatty Museum, Dublin & Ann Arbor, Michigan, University of Michigan library
P66
(Bodmer Papyrus)
John 1:1-6:11,35-14:26; fragment of 14:29-21:9
70's
circa
A.D.
Approx.
130 yrs
Cologne, Geneva
P67
Matt. 3:9,15; 5:20-22, 25-28
circa
A.D.
Approx.
130 yrs
Barcelona, Fundacion San Lucas Evangelista, P. Barc.1
If the critics of the Bible dismiss the New Testament as reliable information, then they must also dismiss the reliability of the writings of Plato, Aristotle, Caesar, Homer, and the other authors mentioned in the chart at the beginning of the paper. On the other hand, if the critics acknowledge the historicity and writings of those other individuals, then they must also retain the historicity and writings of the New Testament authors; after all, the evidence for the New Testament's reliability is far greater than the others. The Christian has substantially superior criteria for affirming the New Testament documents than he does for any other ancient writing. It is good evidence on which to base the trust in the reliability of the New Testament.
I assumed you pasted something that originated as a chart, but it lost its integrity in translation, so that it is difficult if not impossible to decipher, and I am not interested in making the effort anyway, since your line of reasoning is not sensible or logical. There is no evidence on which to base the reliability of the New Testament so any other point you were trying to make is rather redundant.

Comparing the writings of Greek philosophers/writers with the writings of what is claimed to be accounts of the supernatural of which not one single event has ever been verified, is really misleading anyway.

One can read the writings of a philosopher and make whatever judgement one wishes on their content and authenticity and it won't affect one's eternal fate, or even change one's life while alive unless you want it to, but accepting the writings of supernatural events as fact, when not a shred of factual information exists anywhere to prove they are fact is quite another thing.

Location hidden

#817 Feb 23, 2013
Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
Yo Boooots!! How be ya?
Enjoying the beach and sunshine, which today was no beach and mostly rain, but usually that does not spoil our beach plans as it did today. Time, as always, going much too fast. The half way point of our vacation is getting near, and it seems we have just arrived.
Can you back your BS

Redding, CA

#818 Feb 23, 2013
boooots wrote:
<quoted text>
I assumed you pasted something that originated as a chart, but it lost its integrity in translation, so that it is difficult if not impossible to decipher, and I am not interested in making the effort anyway, since your line of reasoning is not sensible or logical. There is no evidence on which to base the reliability of the New Testament so any other point you were trying to make is rather redundant.
Comparing the writings of Greek philosophers/writers with the writings of what is claimed to be accounts of the supernatural of which not one single event has ever been verified, is really misleading anyway.
One can read the writings of a philosopher and make whatever judgement one wishes on their content and authenticity and it won't affect one's eternal fate, or even change one's life while alive unless you want it to, but accepting the writings of supernatural events as fact, when not a shred of factual information exists anywhere to prove they are fact is quite another thing.
boots, can you be serious? Comparision testing is crucial in determining Historical reliability. You are try to cloud the argument...why the need for that?

Location hidden

#819 Feb 23, 2013
You provide one confirmed evidence that has been universally accepted as proof of the existence of God, and you have a devoted disciple in me, but I know you won't because it doesn't exist.

I would be interested though in hearing a believable account of this ongoing relationship you have had with God, with evidence showing what your experiences were, were confirmed as with God, rather than with your own brain cells, or what others indoctrinated in you to think. I know you can't do that, so don't take overly seriously my challenge if that stresses you.

I would not make such a challenge if I had any doubt that you can't produce. No other human in recorded history has done it, so I doubt you have surpassed all humans who have been alive until now.

#820 Feb 23, 2013
Can you back your BS wrote:
<quoted text>
Who is making that claim, besides you?
I was talking to "Working for the Lord" who do you THINK is making that claim?

#821 Feb 23, 2013
boooots wrote:
<quoted text>
Enjoying the beach and sunshine, which today was no beach and mostly rain, but usually that does not spoil our beach plans as it did today. Time, as always, going much too fast. The half way point of our vacation is getting near, and it seems we have just arrived.
I am envious! But still hope you have a great time. I'm in what is my final stretch toward retirement if my luck holds and the creek don't rise for the next couple years.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing 2 min Bongo 16,324
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 11 min Michael 683,799
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 25 min Gabriel 983,121
What Your Church Won't Tell You by Dave and Gar... (Apr '10) 1 hr real 33,212
So how exactly did O.J. Simpson pull off a doub... 5 hr common sense 19
the REAL reason for General Motors sales slumps 7 hr Disappointed US V... 7
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 7 hr Born Again Past JW 619,696
More from around the web