Are Atheists Good People?

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#740 Feb 14, 2013
USN Atheist wrote:
<quoted text>
Not touching on the other arguements? However if you word the arguements of those as you are doing here you will not be doing yourself a favor.
Personally I think you are only arguing for the sake of arguement, you have an ego that you do not want to see crumble, that along with your clinging to the belief that your "god" is real in the sense that something is real, tangible, provable etc. of which it is not, your descriptions here tell that in itself.
Have your "god" by all means, relish in it, enjoy it, love it. But please don't think for a second that your attempt at proving your "god" comes off in any sense as being plausible or believable.
Now, how about those other inconsistencies and myths?
Is that an egomanic's version of submission?

OK, I'll accept it.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#741 Feb 14, 2013
USN Atheist wrote:
"God" cursed the serpent, Adam and Eve for what they had done (post fruit eating). Shouldn't have "god" known that was going to happen?- non-omniscient.
Of course God knew, He does't interfere with us like that.
The buybull has a cure for leprosy - untruth.

It's not just about leprosy, biblical leprosy is a broader term. It has to do with a variety of ailments, scaly skin, skin conditions, molds, respiratory distress, memory loss, and rash.
All who take the sword will perish by the sword (or words to that effect)- untruth.

That's an metaphor, about the danger Peter exposed himself to.

Mathhew 26:52
Genesis says that animals were created before man and then in the next chapter it says that man was created before animals - inconsistent.
Contrary to what many "skeptics" have reported, Genesis two is not a retelling of Genesis one.

Genesis two is considerably different in regard to the emphasis of the content to Genesis one.
Also in Genesis it says in one chapter that "god" was pleased with his creation then in a following chapter he was not pleased with his creation.- inconsistent.
He was pleased with each of the first 6 creative days, and said so in Genesis 1.

The seventh day has not yet ended, for him to say He is pleased with it; and Hebrews 4:4-13 points this fact out.

Note also that the 6 days are called one day in Genesis 2. Meaning the days are not literal 24 hour days.
Also non-omniscient since one who knows all should not be displeased i.e. he knew that he would be displeased and it is of his doing...were he omniscient.
You're confusing omniscient with controlling....
In Exodus "god" prohibits the creation of graven images but then several chapters later he has people make graven images - inconsistent.
That was a test for humanity. King David destroyed those after people starting worshipping them. We failed. Hopefully learned a lesson for it.
Matthew says that there were 28 generations from David to jeebus. Luke says there were 43 - inconsistent.
Matthew’s genealogy was not meant to be complete according to Matthew 1:17, where it is specifically broken into groups of 14.

Since: May 11

Reality, USA

#742 Feb 14, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Is that an egomanic's version of submission?
OK, I'll accept it.
Submission? To what? This is not a conterst and either way you have "won" nothing.

I saw this today and it reminded me of you...
http://www.atheistmemebase.com/2013/02/13/how...

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#743 Feb 14, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Since no one has ever retrieved a piece of Martian rock for study
Wow, is there ANY topic that you know ANYTHING about? That's rhetorical. Geuss you never heard of the Tissint meteorite. That's also rhetorical. LOL...

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/oct/12/scien...

Location hidden

#744 Feb 14, 2013
USN Atheist wrote:
Boy you pegged redneck perfectly with that one. LOL...

“Behave Yourself”

Since: Jul 07

Fort Worth, Texas

#745 Feb 14, 2013
USN Atheist wrote:
<quoted text>
Submission? To what? This is not a conterst and either way you have "won" nothing.
Hey, I like that site. It describes lots of Christians to a "T."

Reality, USA

#746 Feb 14, 2013
@ RiversideRedneck:
"Of course God knew, He does't interfere with us like that."
/// You are missing the point. If "god" knew then why curse them for something he knew they were going to do. Why not prevent it from occurring? But instead he not only cursed them but the entire human race with original sin to where he had to create jeebus and have him die for something he could have prevented in the first place. Seems pretty silly...not that any of it really ever happened. Omniscient "god"...LOL ///

"It's not just about leprosy, biblical leprosy is a broader term. It has to do with a variety of ailments, scaly skin, skin conditions, molds, respiratory distress, memory loss, and rash."
/// Oh my even better! For whatever ailment you wish to call it, this does not cure leprosy nor any other ailment nor does it clean a home of these ailments:
Leviticus 14:49-53
49 And he shall take to cleanse the house two birds, and cedar wood, and scarlet, and hyssop:
50 And he shall kill the one of the birds in an earthen vessel over running water
51 And he shall take the cedar wood, and the hyssop, and the scarlet, and the living bird, and dip them in the blood of the slain bird, and in the running water, and sprinkle the house seven times
52 And he shall cleanse the house with the blood of the bird, and with the running water, and with the living bird, and with the cedar wood, and with the hyssop, and with the scarlet
53 But he shall let go the living bird out of the city into the open fields, and make an atonement for the house: and it shall be clean.///

"Contrary to what many "skeptics" have reported, Genesis two is not a retelling of Genesis one. Genesis two is considerably different in regard to the emphasis of the content to Genesis one."
/// It is irrelevent whether it is a retelling or not. It is saying two different things. A little hint to you about the way the world works, two completely different answers cannot be cright. one has to be wrong. Both being placed in the same book means that it is an inconsistency.///

"He was pleased with each of the first 6 creative days, and said so in Genesis 1. The seventh day has not yet ended, for him to say He is pleased with it; and Hebrews 4:4-13 points this fact out.
Note also that the 6 days are called one day in Genesis 2. Meaning the days are not literal 24 hour days."
/// And yet according to your buybull he is pleased one minute and not the next. See above in reference to how two things cannot be true.///

"You're confusing omniscient with controlling...."
Ok, so in your opinion, your "god" is not omniscient, he is controlling? And you worship this as a "god" why?///

"That was a test for humanity. King David destroyed those after people starting worshipping them. We failed. Hopefully learned a lesson for it."
/// You aren't very good at this omniscient thing are you? Why would your "god" create a test that he knows that his creation would fail. So do you show a hungry child a piece of cake and tell him not to eat it but then purposefully leave it out on the table, knowing that the child will eat it and then punish the child when it does. You did calld it right....sounds like your "god" is a controlling prick.///

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#747 Feb 14, 2013
USN Atheist wrote:
You are missing the point. If "god" knew then why curse them for something he knew they were going to do. Why not prevent it from occurring?
As a lesson for the rest of us to learn from.
Oh my even better! For whatever ailment you wish to call it, this does not cure leprosy nor any other ailment nor does it clean a home of these ailments:
Leviticus 14:49-53
It doesn't say it's a cure for leprosy, as you suggested.
It is irrelevent whether it is a retelling or not. It is saying two different things. A little hint to you about the way the world works, two completely different answers cannot be cright. one has to be wrong. Both being placed in the same book means that it is an inconsistency.
Do I have to repeat myself again and again and again?
And yet according to your buybull he is pleased one minute and not the next. See above in reference to how two things cannot be true.[/QUOTE

Eh? You can't be upset one minute & mad the next?

[QUOTE] Ok, so in your opinion, your "god" is not omniscient, he is controlling? And you worship this as a "god" why?
No, that is YOUR asserton, not mine.
You aren't very good at this omniscient thing are you? Why would your "god" create a test that he knows that his creation would fail. So do you show a hungry child a piece of cake and tell him not to eat it but then purposefully leave it out on the table, knowing that the child will eat it and then punish the child when it does. You did calld it right....sounds like your "god" is a controlling prick.
That's a pretty cruel analogy...

It's more like, when your baby is learning to walk, to you cradle it for months on end to make sure it doesn't fall? NO, you let it fall on it's butt & get right back up. We have to learn to advance.

Location hidden

#748 Feb 14, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
As a lesson for the rest of us to learn from.
To learn from? Why? Is the ultimate goal for him to have us to have all the answers so that your "god" can have someone to play with? You don't think your responses through very far I take it....

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#749 Feb 14, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Luddite? Monkey wrench? Sabo? Sabotage?
We already "assume" the age of Mars....
You're welcome.
No.

Measurements are not assumptions.

They're data.

The Borderland of Sol

#750 Feb 14, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Isn't it neat that Moses somehow knew all that loooong before anyone else did?[clip]
And yet the alleged Moses, supposed leader oif an allegedly desert people, didn't know to keep the sunrise at his back, or (if travelling at night) Polaris on his left.

Led his people around in circles following pillars of fire and columns of smoke.

The friggin' Sinai's less than 150 miles across - his lead elements shoulda made it in less than a week!

Sure. Moses was a genius.

Sheesh.

The Borderland of Sol

#751 Feb 14, 2013
^^ for FORTY years!!^^

The Borderland of Sol

#752 Feb 14, 2013
Mylan wrote:
<quoted text>Wow, is there ANY topic that you know ANYTHING about? That's rhetorical. Geuss you never heard of the Tissint meteorite. That's also rhetorical. LOL...
http://articles.latimes.com/2012/oct/12/scien...
I sent 'im a link to the NASA/JPL site dealing with Mars rocks.

Guess he didn't want to learn from them, either.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#753 Feb 15, 2013
Mylan wrote:
<
To learn from? Why? Is the ultimate goal for him to have us to have all the answers so that your "god" can have someone to play with?
Sure, why not. We are made in His image, after all. That includes perception, knowledge, power, etc.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#754 Feb 15, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
No.
Measurements are not assumptions.
They're data.
Well, that's true.

But some measurements are converted to data using assumptions.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#755 Feb 15, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>I sent 'im a link to the NASA/JPL site dealing with Mars rocks.
Guess he didn't want to learn from them, either.
No, I learned from that.

I learned that those NASA scientists are learning more.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#756 Feb 15, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>And yet the alleged Moses, supposed leader oif an allegedly desert people, didn't know to keep the sunrise at his back, or (if travelling at night) Polaris on his left.
Led his people around in circles following pillars of fire and columns of smoke.
The friggin' Sinai's less than 150 miles across - his lead elements shoulda made it in less than a week!
Sure. Moses was a genius.
Sheesh.
The Israelites were wandering for 40 years because God had punished them for their wickedness and ungratefulness.

They were supposed to reach the promised land earlier, but God waited for 40 years because the Israelites had said that God would let them down and that their children would die before reaching Israel.

That's why God let them wander in the desert for 40 years, so that those elders who complained would die and also their unbelief and complaints to God would be made to look foolish, because their children did indeed reach the promised land.

This shows that a lack of faith, ungratefulness and looking at your fears rather than at God will take away or delay your blessings.

Reality, USA

#757 Feb 15, 2013
@ RiversideRedneck:

"As a lesson for the rest of us to learn from."
/// So he sh*ts on someone so the rest of humanity can learn from it....like I said, what a d*ck. Nothing worth worshipping there.///

"It doesn't say it's a cure for leprosy, as you suggested."
/// Leprosy was the skin scourge of the time, and for many years after until antibiotics were discovered (science), so call it what you will, the buybull recipe for a cure to this skin ailment and other ailments is bunk i.e. an untruth...similar to your buybull stationg a hare chews it's cud.///

"Do I have to repeat myself again and again and again?"
/// You can if you wish, it will still be received the same by me and virtually any other person who looks at life logically and without the premise of using a mythical being as a crutch.///

No, that is YOUR asserton, not mine.
/// You wrote it, I agreed with it, case settled.///

"That's a pretty cruel analogy...It's more like, when your baby is learning to walk, to you cradle it for months on end to make sure it doesn't fall? NO, you let it fall on it's butt & get right back up. We have to learn to advance."
/// You can sugar coat it if you like, but it still stands and apparently you do agree with it since you did not deny it. All you said was that it was cruel and "it's more like". Nice t o see that we do agree on something.:)///

Have a great day!

Reality, USA

#758 Feb 15, 2013
@ RiversideRedneck:

"The Israelites were wandering for 40 years because God had punished them for their wickedness and ungratefulness."
/// Once again, blaming "his" creation for having free will.///

"They were supposed to reach the promised land earlier, but God waited for 40 years because the Israelites had said that God would let them down and that their children would die before reaching Israel."
/// Working on the assumption that this story was real, obviously "god" did let them down and their children did die (in 40 years, some will die) before reaching Israel.///

"That's why God let them wander in the desert for 40 years, so that those elders who complained would die and also their unbelief and complaints to God would be made to look foolish, because their children did indeed reach the promised land."
/// Oh I see, so your omniscient "god" waited for people to die out...instead of just making them go "poof" and be gone. Your story here has so many holes in it no wonder people call it "faith". You would have to be deaf, blind and disregard everything that is logical to believe in it.///

"This shows that a lack of faith, ungratefulness and looking at your fears rather than at God will take away or delay your blessings."
/// This shows that your Exodus fable is just that, a fictional story and/or one embellished so greatly for the purpose of controlling the masses. Although I will admit that it could have also been used to inspire but personally I am more inspired by the truth and not made up stories.///

The Borderland of Sol

#759 Feb 15, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, that's true.
But some measurements are converted to data using assumptions.
No, a measurement is a datum by definition.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 4 min Stilgar Fifrawi 853,855
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 1 hr Tony17 595,909
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 1 hr DebraE 100,727
The Christian Atheist debate 1 hr Lbj 771
Play "end of the word" (Jan '11) 1 hr andet1987 6,114
Homosexuals are the REAL reason God DESTROYED S... 1 hr Burke Devlin 80
*** All Time Favorite Songs *** (Dec '10) 1 hr Halle Berry Sister 2,630
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 2 hr Burke Devlin 444,119
More from around the web