Are Atheists Good People?

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#700 Feb 12, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Perhaps the age of the solar system is 4.6 billions years old.
Perhaps our measuring equipment is faulty. Why is everything the exact same age.......
Everything is not the same age.

Wherever did you get such a peculiar idea?

“There is no Truth in Faith”

Since: Dec 08

nowhere near a pound of $100's

#701 Feb 12, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Nothing. God has always existed.
But it's good to see that you're starting to believe.
What is your God made of given that he has always existed?

“Behave Yourself”

Since: Jul 07

Fort Worth, Texas

#702 Feb 12, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Another typical atheist response....
Conrary to what your little atheist propaganda websites say, the Bible doesn't have any "inconsistencies, untruths (lies), fables, feel good as well as horror stories".
I was always fond of The Little Mermaid & The Ugly Duckling stories.
:)
The story of Noah's Ark certainly qualifies as a fable. Surely you don't believe a man of Noah's alleged age was able to visit everywhere to collect a male and female of every species, do you? Not to mention make a boat large enough to contain them all.

Since: May 11

Reality, USA

#703 Feb 12, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Another typical atheist response....
Conrary to what your little atheist propaganda websites say, the Bible doesn't have any "inconsistencies, untruths (lies), fables, feel good as well as horror stories".
I was always fond of The Little Mermaid & The Ugly Duckling stories.
:)
SERIOUSLY?????

Aside from the previous post concerning Noah's ark (horror story) let's start a little list shall we?

"God" created light before he created the sun - inconsistent.

"God" cursed the serpent, Adam and Eve for what they had done (post fruit eating). Shouldn't have "god" known that was going to happen?- non-omniscient.

The buybull has a cure for leprosy - untruth.

All who take the sword will perish by the sword (or words to that effect)- untruth.

Genesis says that animals were created before man and then in the next chapter it says that man was created before animals - inconsistent.

Also in Genesis it says in one chapter that "god" was pleased with his creation then in a following chapter he was not pleased with his creation.- inconsistent. Also non-omniscient since one who knows all should not be displeased i.e. he knew that he would be displeased and it is of his doing...were he omniscient.

In Exodus "god" prohibits the creation of graven images but then several chapters later he has people make graven images - inconsistent.

Matthew says that there were 28 generations from David to jeebus. Luke says there were 43 - inconsistent.

Matthew says that jeebus said that those who take a sword will perish by it. In Luke he says to buy swords - inconsistent.

Abraham told by "god" to kill his own son - horror story.

I can go on if you like but I think you get the picture.
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

#704 Feb 12, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
What's funny is your inability to read properly. Again, YOUR link said this:
"Today, scientists believe that Mars, and the remainder of the Solar System formed about 4.6 billion years ago from the solar nebula.
Since no one has ever retrieved a piece of Martian rock for study, this assumption is arrived at by studying meteorites, Moon rocks, and the oldest rocks here on Earth."
http://www.universetoday.com/14852/how-old-is...
"scientists believe"
"this assumption is...."
You really should get out more. if for nothing then t buy a news paper. Now what ya got to say skippy!!!!! I can only imagine!!!!

LOS ANGELES -- In a Mars first, the Curiosity rover drilled into a rock and prepared to dump an aspirin-sized pinch of powder into its onboard laboratories for closer inspection.
The feat marked yet another milestone for the car-size rover, which landed last summer to much fanfare on an ambitious hunt to determine whether environmental conditions were favourable for microbes.
Using the drill at the end of its 7-foot-long robotic arm, Curiosity on Friday chipped away at a flat, veined rock bearing numerous signs of past water flow. After nearly seven minutes of pounding, the result was a drill hole 2 1/2 -inches deep.
RELATED STORIES
NASA's older Mars rover begins 10th year of exploration
Ready, set, drill: NASA's Curiosity rover prepping to pierce Martian rock
The exercise was so complex that engineers spent several days commanding Curiosity to tap the rock outcrop, drill test holes and perform a "mini-drill" in anticipation of the real show. Images beamed back to Earth overnight showed a fresh borehole next to a shallower test hole Curiosity had made earlier.
"It was a perfect execution," drill engineer Avi Okon at the NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory said Saturday.
Previous Mars landings carried tools that scraped away the exterior layers of rocks and dirt. Opportunity and Spirit -- before it died -- toted around a rock grinder. Phoenix, which touched down near the Martian north pole in 2008, was equipped with an ice rasp to chisel frozen soil.
None, however, were designed to bore deep into rocks and collect pulverized samples from the interior.
With the maiden drilling out of the way, it'll take several days before Curiosity transfers the powder to its instruments to analyze the chemical and mineral makeup.

Read more: http://www.ctvnews.ca/sci-tech/curiosity-rove...
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

#705 Feb 12, 2013
Anyone else notice how its ALWAYS the Atheists who supplies verifiable evidence. Never the theists who is usually the one challenging you to produce the information. I wonder why that is? I think we all know the answer!!!!!!

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#706 Feb 12, 2013
Victor Belmont wrote:
I wish to know if a sophisticated atheist can be a good person. Good as in does not murder, steal, or cause harm in any way to himself or others. Since Atheists deny the existence of God I see no reason that they must be good. Say I'm an atheist this is how I think...if I can steal this mans money and get away with it why on earth will I say NO!!?? no one can punish me and I'll just be happy who cares if he is sad why would I have feelings for him? if he is sad why must I be sad, am I the one being sad or him? screw him let him be sad I'll just do it..Therefore, if an Atheist is a genius and cunning he will satisfy his desires with no remorse. He will kill steal do anything since there is no God.
If there is a an Atheist who is a good person he is a dumb ass because he can cheat and trick do whatever he wants without getting punished unless caught. Or not a complete Atheist meaning he still doubts the deny of God. If your an Atheist and have some feelings that you fear or anything it simply means you fell the presence of God but your just too scared to admit it.
That's why sophisticated Atheists are technically evil men and cannot be trusted, since they do not love God and fear his wrath.
That was a terribly hateful thing to write which I refuse to attribute to all Christians. Just the ones who are not educated as those uneducated Christians who do not understand Atheism nor their own religion tend to be hateful which goes against Jesus' teachings.
Look at Prison statistics. The majority of prisoners are believers. Atheists make up less than 1% which means people who believe in God rape, murder and steal more than anyone. Next, unless you are absolutely unschooled and believe the mathmatics of a 1600's Italian philosopher that the Earth is only 6000 years old, modern humans have been around for 50 million years and through out the Paleolithic and all the way up to the Bronze age, societies lived and survived by cooperation, giving, trust, and caring because it is in our genetic code to altruistic. As for God? He told Moses to slaughter thousands of his enemies. To own and mutilate slaves, and laid down very detailed instructions on how to kill your wife and children (Lev, Deut, Romans) as well as committed Genocide.
Those who ask questions such as yours have lived a sheltered and dark life removed from the beauty and peace most atheists find in nature and in understanding the harmony between us and the the Laws of the Universe. I find more wonder in physics and understanding the mechanics of nature than cowering before a mythical deity. You know nothing about anything because if you understood the history of Christianity you'd not be one. Why don't you believe in Zeus? God said, "No other Gods before me" which is admitting other gods exist. Why don't you believe in them? Because single book with no historical support says so? Okay then again, why the Bible and not the Illiad. Just as much historical equality in both.
See, people are raised selfish or raised to hurt. Some people are bad just as Christians kill abortion doctors, Muslims, and gays. Atheists do no such thing.
So I ask you, can a Christian be good? Can they keep from following Gods will to murder those they hate. To not lead crusades. To not destroy the rights of others? To not pass judgement over others for something and someone they can't understand yet fear like a child.
Lets me also say this, I have been stabbed in the throat and permanently scared by a Christian trying to murder his gf whom I rescued. No God told me to do what was right and save her life. Just me. Unselfish. If you did the right thing it is to get into heaven, selfish. To love a needy and jealous god. Pitiful. Lastly, if your wife told you god said to her she must kill your children would you? If not than you aren't a real believer. Education makes peace, atheists are more educated, education removes superstition. You may now hate on me in Gods name.

Reality, USA

#707 Feb 12, 2013
LethalType wrote:
<quoted text>
That was a terribly hateful thing to write which I refuse to attribute to all Christians. Just the ones who are not educated as those uneducated Christians who do not understand Atheism nor their own religion tend to be hateful which goes against Jesus' teachings.
Look at Prison statistics. The majority of prisoners are believers. Atheists make up less than 1% which means people who believe in God rape, murder and steal more than anyone. Next, unless you are absolutely unschooled and believe the mathmatics of a 1600's Italian philosopher that the Earth is only 6000 years old, modern humans have been around for 50 million years and through out the Paleolithic and all the way up to the Bronze age, societies lived and survived by cooperation, giving, trust, and caring because it is in our genetic code to altruistic. As for God? He told Moses to slaughter thousands of his enemies. To own and mutilate slaves, and laid down very detailed instructions on how to kill your wife and children (Lev, Deut, Romans) as well as committed Genocide.
Those who ask questions such as yours have lived a sheltered and dark life removed from the beauty and peace most atheists find in nature and in understanding the harmony between us and the the Laws of the Universe. I find more wonder in physics and understanding the mechanics of nature than cowering before a mythical deity. You know nothing about anything because if you understood the history of Christianity you'd not be one. Why don't you believe in Zeus? God said, "No other Gods before me" which is admitting other gods exist. Why don't you believe in them? Because single book with no historical support says so? Okay then again, why the Bible and not the Illiad. Just as much historical equality in both.
See, people are raised selfish or raised to hurt. Some people are bad just as Christians kill abortion doctors, Muslims, and gays. Atheists do no such thing.
So I ask you, can a Christian be good? Can they keep from following Gods will to murder those they hate. To not lead crusades. To not destroy the rights of others? To not pass judgement over others for something and someone they can't understand yet fear like a child.
Lets me also say this, I have been stabbed in the throat and permanently scared by a Christian trying to murder his gf whom I rescued. No God told me to do what was right and save her life. Just me. Unselfish. If you did the right thing it is to get into heaven, selfish. To love a needy and jealous god. Pitiful. Lastly, if your wife told you god said to her she must kill your children would you? If not than you aren't a real believer. Education makes peace, atheists are more educated, education removes superstition. You may now hate on me in Gods name.
Nice.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#708 Feb 13, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>You really should get out more. if for nothing then t buy a news paper. Now what ya got to say skippy!!!!! I can only imagine!!!!
LOS ANGELES -- In a Mars first, the Curiosity rover drilled into a rock and prepared to dump an aspirin-sized pinch of powder into its onboard laboratories for closer inspection.
The feat marked yet another milestone for the car-size rover, which landed last summer to much fanfare on an ambitious hunt to determine whether environmental conditions were favourable for microbes.
Using the drill at the end of its 7-foot-long robotic arm, Curiosity on Friday chipped away at a flat, veined rock bearing numerous signs of past water flow. After nearly seven minutes of pounding, the result was a drill hole 2 1/2 -inches deep.
RELATED STORIES
NASA's older Mars rover begins 10th year of exploration
Ready, set, drill: NASA's Curiosity rover prepping to pierce Martian rock
The exercise was so complex that engineers spent several days commanding Curiosity to tap the rock outcrop, drill test holes and perform a "mini-drill" in anticipation of the real show. Images beamed back to Earth overnight showed a fresh borehole next to a shallower test hole Curiosity had made earlier.
"It was a perfect execution," drill engineer Avi Okon at the NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory said Saturday.
Previous Mars landings carried tools that scraped away the exterior layers of rocks and dirt. Opportunity and Spirit -- before it died -- toted around a rock grinder. Phoenix, which touched down near the Martian north pole in 2008, was equipped with an ice rasp to chisel frozen soil.
None, however, were designed to bore deep into rocks and collect pulverized samples from the interior.
With the maiden drilling out of the way, it'll take several days before Curiosity transfers the powder to its instruments to analyze the chemical and mineral makeup.
Read more: http://www.ctvnews.ca/sci-tech/curiosity-rove...
No way!! That is so cool! A car sized multi billion dollar machine drilled a 2-1/2" hole in a rock!!

Dayum, know we know how old Mars is.

Yup.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#709 Feb 13, 2013
Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
What is your God made of given that he has always existed?
I dunno. Do you?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#710 Feb 13, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
Anyone else notice how its ALWAYS the Atheists who supplies verifiable evidence. Never the theists who is usually the one challenging you to produce the information. I wonder why that is? I think we all know the answer!!!!!!
That we know you're full of shit & love to expose it?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#711 Feb 13, 2013
LethalType wrote:
Look at Prison statistics. The majority of prisoners are believers. Atheists make up less than 1% which means....
Which means that even atheists turn to God when in need.

Seriously, don't you know that those prison stats are bullshit?

So many inmates lie when asked if they believe in God because they think if they're honest and say they don't believe, they'll be in prison longer because God won't be watching them....

Gimme a break.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#712 Feb 13, 2013
USN Atheist wrote:
<quoted text>
SERIOUSLY?????
Aside from the previous post concerning Noah's ark (horror story) let's start a little list shall we?
"God" created light before he created the sun - inconsistent.
"God" cursed the serpent, Adam and Eve for what they had done (post fruit eating). Shouldn't have "god" known that was going to happen?- non-omniscient.
The buybull has a cure for leprosy - untruth.
All who take the sword will perish by the sword (or words to that effect)- untruth.
Genesis says that animals were created before man and then in the next chapter it says that man was created before animals - inconsistent.
Also in Genesis it says in one chapter that "god" was pleased with his creation then in a following chapter he was not pleased with his creation.- inconsistent. Also non-omniscient since one who knows all should not be displeased i.e. he knew that he would be displeased and it is of his doing...were he omniscient.
In Exodus "god" prohibits the creation of graven images but then several chapters later he has people make graven images - inconsistent.
Matthew says that there were 28 generations from David to jeebus. Luke says there were 43 - inconsistent.
Matthew says that jeebus said that those who take a sword will perish by it. In Luke he says to buy swords - inconsistent.
Abraham told by "god" to kill his own son - horror story.
I can go on if you like but I think you get the picture.
Reading more atheist websites, are ya?

#713 Feb 13, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I dunno. Do you?
Seems he has to be made of something or he is nothing. You keep saying he is not nothing .... so??? What is he made of??

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#714 Feb 13, 2013
Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
Seems he has to be made of something or he is nothing. You keep saying he is not nothing .... so??? What is he made of??
I dunno. Do you?

Humans are currently to ignorant for a "God test"...

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#715 Feb 13, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Everything is not the same age.
Wherever did you get such a peculiar idea?
I never implied that it is.

I'm mocking blacklagoon's "science"...

#716 Feb 13, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I dunno. Do you?
Humans are currently to ignorant for a "God test"...
Well then, it is pretty silly to say that you know there is one, then isn't it?

Reality, USA

#717 Feb 13, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Reading more atheist websites, are ya?
If you consider your buybull an atheist website then so be it. Isn't that sort of blasphemous for you to say that? Your "god" does not approve.

However let's play your game for a minute. Regardless of where I retrieved my information from, please do the audience the courtesy of proving it wrong.

I think this is where one would be obliged to say "put up or shut-up".

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#718 Feb 13, 2013
Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
Well then, it is pretty silly to say that you know there is one, then isn't it?
Nope. That's be like thinking that love & hate don't exist....

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#719 Feb 13, 2013
USN Atheist wrote:
<quoted text>
If you consider your buybull an atheist website then so be it. Isn't that sort of blasphemous for you to say that? Your "god" does not approve.
However let's play your game for a minute. Regardless of where I retrieved my information from, please do the audience the courtesy of proving it wrong.
I think this is where one would be obliged to say "put up or shut-up".
OK, let's dance.

Your very first assertion is wrong. You said "God created light before he created the sun. Inconsistent."

Are you really that ignorant to think that the sun is the only source of light? Ever hear of ultraviolet light, infrared light, radio waves or X-rays? Why do you stop your mind when the light isn't visible?

God had at His fingertips many options to accomplish His purposes. Light does not automatically require the sun.

Since your first guess is wrong, logic dictates that they're all wrong.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 3 min June VanDerMark 603,551
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 4 min Darwins Stepchild 880,653
The Christian Atheist debate 32 min Into The Night 4,048
I'm looking for a writer to write my true story (Nov '08) 38 min Survivor 234
Is Steve Harvey's 'Family Fued' racially biased?? (Oct '13) 1 hr South American Italy 11
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 1 hr South American Italy 8,321
Rajkot gay Topix (Feb '15) 2 hr loganxxxx 238
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 8 hr Lyndi 177,899
More from around the web