Are Atheists Good People?

“There is no Truth in Faith”

Since: Dec 08

nowhere near a pound of $100's

#580 Feb 6, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Then perhaps you should just piss off!!!!
You must be a Christian! I can FEEL the LOVE!!!

#581 Feb 6, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> To say a virus is alive is the same as saying a vampire has life. The undead do not live, but are a plague to the living.
And you STILL have not answered my question. Are you afraid?

You still did not answer my question;

A host is a host same species or not .... however, again just extending the thought experiment ... if we do manage to use cows as surrogate mothers, are the offspring alive? Are the genetic parents alive? Seems to me that we would be very close to viral reproduction at that point!

#582 Feb 6, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>
Read what it says about "Organization" and "Reproduction"
Biology
Since there is no unequivocal definition of life, the current understanding is descriptive. Life is considered a characteristic of organisms that exhibit all or most of the following:[25][27]
Homeostasis: Regulation of the internal environment to maintain a constant state; for example, electrolyte concentration or sweating to reduce temperature.
Organization: Being structurally composed of one or more cells — the basic units of life.
Metabolism: Transformation of energy by converting chemicals and energy into cellular components (anabolism) and decomposing organic matter (catabolism). Living things require energy to maintain internal organization (homeostasis) and to produce the other phenomena associated with life.
Growth: Maintenance of a higher rate of anabolism than catabolism. A growing organism increases in size in all of its parts, rather than simply accumulating matter.
Adaptation: The ability to change over time in response to the environment. This ability is fundamental to the process of evolution and is determined by the organism's heredity, diet, and external factors.
Response to stimuli: A response can take many forms, from the contraction of a unicellular organism to external chemicals, to complex reactions involving all the senses of multicellular organisms. A response is often expressed by motion; for example, the leaves of a plant turning toward the sun (phototropism), and chemotaxis.
Reproduction: The ability to produce new individual organisms, either asexually from a single parent organism, or sexually from two parent organisms.
How do I know you didn't write that yourself? Got a source reference??

And it says "all or MOST" of those characteristics. A virus does that, it fits MOST of those criteria.

#583 Feb 6, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>
Biology
Since there is no unequivocal definition of life, the current understanding is descriptive. Life is considered a characteristic of organisms that exhibit all or most of the following:[25][27]
Homeostasis: Regulation of the internal environment to maintain a constant state; for example, electrolyte concentration or sweating to reduce temperature.
Organization: Being structurally composed of one or more cells — the basic units of life.
Metabolism: Transformation of energy by converting chemicals and energy into cellular components (anabolism) and decomposing organic matter (catabolism). Living things require energy to maintain internal organization (homeostasis) and to produce the other phenomena associated with life.
Growth: Maintenance of a higher rate of anabolism than catabolism. A growing organism increases in size in all of its parts, rather than simply accumulating matter.
Adaptation: The ability to change over time in response to the environment. This ability is fundamental to the process of evolution and is determined by the organism's heredity, diet, and external factors.
Response to stimuli: A response can take many forms, from the contraction of a unicellular organism to external chemicals, to complex reactions involving all the senses of multicellular organisms. A response is often expressed by motion; for example, the leaves of a plant turning toward the sun (phototropism), and chemotaxis.
Reproduction: The ability to produce new individual organisms, either asexually from a single parent organism, or sexually from two parent organisms.
This bit;
"Adaptation: The ability to change over time in response to the environment. This ability is fundamental to the process of evolution and is determined by the organism's heredity, diet, and external factors."

Tells me you got this from a creationist bull crap site. Adaptation has little to do with Evolution. More accurately Evolution developed the ability to adapt.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#584 Feb 6, 2013
Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
How do I know you didn't write that yourself? Got a source reference??
And it says "all or MOST" of those characteristics. A virus does that, it fits MOST of those criteria.
Wikipedia.....google criteria for life....Wikipedia.....scroll down to definition and biology.

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#585 Feb 7, 2013
Clementia wrote:
Ooooooooooh, how exciting, we never studied that.
Yes they are VERY interesting and linked to be the precursors of life on this planet.
i ain't drunk on alcohol, i had too much fizzy pop
I hope you know how unhealthy pop is for you. It has now been linked to cancer and other diseases. Pop is one of the worst things that you can ingest.

Location hidden

#586 Feb 7, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
They have cells ,virus do not.
Again, the mimivirus is different. BTW, it also has genes. It is the link between both virus and bacteria.

Location hidden

#587 Feb 7, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
there is NO consensus among microbiologists as the whether a virus is a living organism or an organic structure that interacts with a living organisms.
Are you blind? I wasn't talking about the common virus. I said mimivirus which is totally different. It is the link between virus and bacteria.

Location hidden

#588 Feb 7, 2013
Ooogah Boogah wrote:
And you STILL have not answered my question. Are you afraid?
You still did not answer my question;
You'll find that when Myth is proven wrong they do not admit it. Instead they just dance around the issue.

Location hidden

#589 Feb 7, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
Mimivirus has cellular-like genes and can mimic reproduction. This is why it was named "mimi" in the first place. It is unlike the typical virus, and not quite a bacteria.

Location hidden

#590 Feb 7, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Wikipedia..
You do know that ANYBODY can post on wiki don't you? LOL...
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#591 Feb 7, 2013
Mylan wrote:
<quoted text>Are you blind? I wasn't talking about the common virus. I said mimivirus which is totally different. It is the link between virus and bacteria.
Are you stupid, the conversation was NOT about mimiviruses, do try and keep up!!!!
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#592 Feb 7, 2013
Mylan wrote:
<quoted text>You do know that ANYBODY can post on wiki don't you? LOL...
And if you disagree, its YOUR job to produce evidence that refutes the information posted on Wiki.....get busy or piss off!!!
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#593 Feb 7, 2013
Mylan wrote:
<quoted text>Mimivirus has cellular-like genes and can mimic reproduction. This is why it was named "mimi" in the first place. It is unlike the typical virus, and not quite a bacteria.
Who f---ing cares, this is not what the conversation is about, try and stay current.

“YO BOO”

Since: Sep 07

land of BOO

#594 Feb 7, 2013
what a turd thread...

Location hidden

#595 Feb 7, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
And if you disagree, its YOUR job to produce evidence that refutes the information posted on Wiki.....
No moron, it's NOT my "job". If you can't find a more credible source, then that speaks volumes. No serious researcher would EVER use wiki to find information. Have a nice day.

Location hidden

#596 Feb 7, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
the conversation was NOT about mimiviruses, do try and keep up!!!!
Your claim was that a virus couldn't reproduce. The mimivirus refutes that.

Since: Feb 13

Burgettstown, PA

#597 Feb 7, 2013
If we shall get back to the question at hand.... Not believing in a higher power does not make you a bad person, your own personal morals do. If anything, as history shows us, religion actually makes us worse! So many people have died in the name of their own religion. Besides that, you don't not have to believe in a higher power of any sort to know the difference between right and wrong. Just because this almighty being is not going to strike you down for your inappropriate actions does not mean that the government, society, and community won't. If you don't believe in "God" or the after life, then i would consider the theory that they would actually be more willing to live a peaceful non-violent life here on earth because in their eyes it is the only shot they get at happiness, who would want to spend that behind bars or shunned from society as an outcast for all of their days?

Location hidden

#598 Feb 7, 2013
MiremebeKamarai wrote:
If we shall get back to the question at hand.... Not believing in a higher power does not make you a bad person, your own personal morals do. If anything, as history shows us, religion actually makes us worse! So many people have died in the name of their own religion. Besides that, you don't not have to believe in a higher power of any sort to know the difference between right and wrong. Just because this almighty being is not going to strike you down for your inappropriate actions does not mean that the government, society, and community won't. If you don't believe in "God" or the after life, then i would consider the theory that they would actually be more willing to live a peaceful non-violent life here on earth because in their eyes it is the only shot they get at happiness, who would want to spend that behind bars or shunned from society as an outcast for all of their days?
Well said but you need to understand that most religious people have been trained like a dog to believe in their religion. Like a slave they are doing what they are taught. Studies have shown that atheist are more generous and caring and they do it because they genuinely care, and not because they're afraid of some "god" punishing them.

Since: Feb 13

Burgettstown, PA

#599 Feb 7, 2013
Mylan wrote:
<quoted text>Well said but you need to understand that most religious people have been trained like a dog to believe in their religion. Like a slave they are doing what they are taught. Studies have shown that atheist are more generous and caring and they do it because they genuinely care, and not because they're afraid of some "god" punishing them.
That was exactly the point I was making

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 1 min Unstoppable 47,967
American Soldiers - Duty, Honor, Country (Jun '11) 4 min USA-1 38,713
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 7 min The Hangman 971,573
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 21 min Toby 105,585
Looking for Female Yorkie to mate with my male ... (Mar '13) 29 min A GILBREATH 159
*** All Time Favorite Songs *** (Dec '10) 44 min Halle Berry Sister 3,676
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 56 min hojo 646,363
topix drops human sexuality forum.......this be... 6 hr Brian_G 12
More from around the web