Are Atheists Good People?

“There is no Truth in Faith”

Since: Dec 08

nowhere near a pound of $100's

#500 Feb 6, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>You're missing the point here..........The difference between a roundworm and other PARASITIC ORGANISMS and a virus is, a virus does not have a cellular structure and cannot reproduce outside of a host. Two very important criteria for a living organisms.
There is no definition of life that requires a cellular structure. Respiration and reproduction at some point in the life cycle is all that is required as far as I know. The viruses would definitely be alive under that definition, as would prions.

#501 Feb 6, 2013
Mitch wrote:
.....So when these microorganisms took human form, did we start out as infants or adults?
This statement reveals your lie. Can you see how? Bet not!

BTW, you have only insulted your own intelligence.

#502 Feb 6, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Hos information is wrong, a virus is NOT considered to be a living organism. It can't fulfill the basic requirement for life which is the ability to reproduce. I lie's completely dormant until it acquire's a host, then and only then can it replicate itself.
I have no idea where he got the idea that it was a virus instead of a microorganism.
Question 1: If there were only one virus set free among many potential hosts with no anti bodies. How many viruses would there be in a year.

Question 2: In the above scenario, did it reproduce?

Question 3: Are you really that much a dumb azz?

#503 Feb 6, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
I wouldn't call them life, rather like a half life who's life is entirely dependent on a life.
If life did not exist, it could not exist.
But life can exist without it.
"Viruses straddle the definition of life. They lie somewhere between supra molecular complexes and very simple biological entities. Viruses contain some of the structures and exhibit some of the activities that are common to organic life, but they are missing many of the others. In general, viruses are entirely composed of a single strand of genetic information encased within a protein capsule. Viruses lack most of the internal structure and machinery which characterize 'life', including the biosynthetic machinery that is necessary for reproduction. In order for a virus to replicate it must infect a suitable host cell".
http://serc.carleton.edu/microbelife/yellowst...
Is perpetually in a dormant state "existing" or not?
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#504 Feb 6, 2013
Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
Question 1: If there were only one virus set free among many potential hosts with no anti bodies. How many viruses would there be in a year.
Question 2: In the above scenario, did it reproduce?
Question 3: Are you really that much a dumb azz?
Take the same virus skippy, and put it were there is NO host, how many viruses would there be in a year?

Question 2.) Place ANY other organism considered to be alive next to a virus, a virus WITHOUT a host and wait one year, how many will it reproduce?

Show me how smart you are skippy, show me an organism considered to be alive that doesn't have a cellular structure.....ready...set..... GO!!!!

Now go and ask any microbiologist if something with NO cellular structure and unable to reproduce on its own is considered to be living organism.

You spelled ass wrong stupid!!!!!!!!
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#505 Feb 6, 2013
Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
Now who's the dumb ass. Being alive or not has nothing to do with existing. Think rocks, metal, like that!!!!!

#506 Feb 6, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Take the same virus skippy, and put it were there is NO host, how many viruses would there be in a year?
Question 2.) Place ANY other organism considered to be alive next to a virus, a virus WITHOUT a host and wait one year, how many will it reproduce?
Show me how smart you are skippy, show me an organism considered to be alive that doesn't have a cellular structure.....ready...set..... GO!!!!
Now go and ask any microbiologist if something with NO cellular structure and unable to reproduce on its own is considered to be living organism.
If it reproduces under any circumstances, it is alive, dumbazz.

If I submerged you and your wife under 100 feet of water with no gear, could you reproduce? Bet not! So I guess you aren't alive either huh?

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#507 Feb 6, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Take the same virus skippy, and put it were there is NO host, how many viruses would there be in a year?
Well, I did a microbiology module in university. I can tell u that whether viruses are alive or not, depends on how u classify life, going with the standard model of life, viruses are NOT alive!

However, some scientists believe they are alive (like i do) and other scientists do not! It just depends on how u look at it, no answer is right or wrong.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#508 Feb 6, 2013
Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
There is no definition of life that requires a cellular structure. Respiration and reproduction at some point in the life cycle is all that is required as far as I know. The viruses would definitely be alive under that definition, as would prions.
Read this numbnuts. Pay close attention to the part about cellular structure as a basic unit of LIFE. A virus is categorized as an ORGANIC STRUCTURE THAT INTERACTS WITH LIVING ORGANISMS. Holy shit.......pay the f--- attention!!!!

Microbiology

Life properties
Opinions differ on whether viruses are a form of life, or organic structures that interact with living organisms. They have been described as "organisms at the edge of life",[8] since they resemble organisms in that they possess genes and evolve by natural selection,[57] and reproduce by creating multiple copies of themselves through self-assembly. Although they have genes, they do not have a cellular structure, which is often seen as the basic unit of life. Viruses do not have their own metabolism, and require a host cell to make new products. They therefore cannot naturally reproduce outside a host cell[58]
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#509 Feb 6, 2013
Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
If I submerged you and your wife under 100 feet of water with no gear, could you reproduce? Bet not! So I guess you aren't alive either huh?
Try this one skippy....put a virus (without a host) next to any other organism....sit back and see which one reproduces, and how many replications of itself there are after a year.

BTW its a completely dumb analogy, and has no bearing on a discussion you are obviously outclassed on. Give it a rest numbnuts!!!!
Mitch

Kingsport, TN

#510 Feb 6, 2013
Seems like if you call someone dumb here it somehow makes you seem more intelligent.

#511 Feb 6, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Read this numbnuts. Pay close attention to the part about cellular structure as a basic unit of LIFE. A virus is categorized as an ORGANIC STRUCTURE THAT INTERACTS WITH LIVING ORGANISMS. Holy shit.......pay the f--- attention!!!!
Microbiology
Life properties
Opinions differ on whether viruses are a form of life, or organic structures that interact with living organisms. They have been described as "organisms at the edge of life",[8] since they resemble organisms in that they possess genes and evolve by natural selection,[57] and reproduce by creating multiple copies of themselves through self-assembly. Although they have genes, they do not have a cellular structure, which is often seen as the basic unit of life. Viruses do not have their own metabolism, and require a host cell to make new products. They therefore cannot naturally reproduce outside a host cell[58]
From the same statement you quoted, "VIRUSES ARE A FORM OF LIFE" ... see how it (doesn't) work when you take things out of context. Dumb butt!!

#512 Feb 6, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Try this one skippy....put a virus (without a host) next to any other organism....sit back and see which one reproduces, and how many replications of itself there are after a year.
BTW its a completely dumb analogy, and has no bearing on a discussion you are obviously outclassed on. Give it a rest numbnuts!!!!
It is a perfectly fine analogy, another would be to deprive you of food. After all, you require living organisms to eat. You do not eat enough raw materials to survive on your own, you also consume living organisms to reproduce.

You are a living organism no more and no less than a virus by your own criteria.

#513 Feb 6, 2013
Mitch wrote:
Seems like if you call someone dumb here it somehow makes you seem more intelligent.
I have no need to do that, you are doing a fine job on your own. I have rarely seen anyone able to put so many words into such a small idea as you do.

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#514 Feb 6, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
Hos information is wrong, a virus is NOT considered to be a living organism. It can't fulfill the basic requirement for life which is the ability to reproduce.
Not true. The mimivirus is the link between virus and bacteria.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#515 Feb 6, 2013
Mitch wrote:
Oh...You're the one who thinks microorganisms somehow form into humans. Just not sure whether they are infants or adults. I do hope you read my post, and you can see how microorganisms evolve over time. Glad I could help.

“The Edge”

Since: Dec 10

Of Tomorow

#516 Feb 6, 2013
Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
Some see it more as a molecular machine than a life.
After all machines function as result of life, but only life functions devoid of machines. It is possible the machine could evolve to survive without life, then it would be life.
But a purely parasitical existence alone cannot be called a true life form in my reasoning.

#517 Feb 6, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Try this one skippy....put a virus (without a host) next to any other organism....sit back and see which one reproduces, and how many replications of itself there are after a year.
How about I put you next to inedible organisms and see which one reproduces or is even alive in a year?

“The Edge”

Since: Dec 10

Of Tomorow

#518 Feb 6, 2013
Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
But does it reproduce without a host? Life needs no host organism.

#519 Feb 6, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Some see it more as a molecular machine than a life.
After all machines function as result of life, but only life functions devoid of machines. It is possible the machine could evolve to survive without life, then it would be life.
But a purely parasitical existence alone cannot be called a true life form in my reasoning.
So then humans require other organisms to survive (food) and the males require a female to reproduce. So by your descriptions, by themselves and with no other organisms, are humans alive (prior to starving to death of course)?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 6 min Critical Eye 880,096
The Christian Atheist debate 9 min emperorjohn 3,954
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 9 min 2all 603,400
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 41 min WasteWater 8,272
News The Latest: Husband: Kentucky clerk is 'standin... 42 min Beans And Backtalk 4
Poll It is fine when the brother makes children of h... 1 hr pepertoa 2
Ever give your boss head? 2 hr Hispanicprincess 5
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 3 hr gentlepplpleaser 177,894
More from around the web