Innocent Man Shot In Breckenridge

Innocent Man Shot In Breckenridge

Posted in the Top Stories Forum

First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Since: Nov 08

Haltom City, TX

#1 Nov 30, 2008
Saturday morning I woke up to my phone ringing. On the other end I was told that Mike Richardson had been shot by one of the so called Breckenridge Police officers. I could not belive my ears and still cannt belive that this can be true. Anyone who knew Mike, can tell you that he was the easiest person to get along with. I can honestly say that there is not a bad thing I can say about Mike. I still ask myself Why? Are the cops of Breckenridge so trigger happy that they are willing to take a innocent man, not to mention father who was that morning buying Christmas presents for his children. This matter can not be swept under the rug! This is murder. Just to think two of the Breckenridge cops went to high school with Mike.I would scared to pull over for a traffic violation just for the fact of being shot. I hope it is not just me that can see this but Breckenridge needs to get a new line of city police officers from the top to the bottom.Are they so stupid that they can not run plates or block in a vehicle. It sickens me that a innocent man takes a friend home and looses his life to police that are suppose to protect us.
Curtis Lowe

Montgomery, AL

#2 Dec 1, 2008
I read the real story. Seems Mike plowed into a neighbor's fence at 2AM drunk as a skunk and then tried to flee. When police arrived, they say he pointed a weapon at them. If Mike were home in bed, he would be alive today. Seems Mike made a bad life decision.

“NM Desert Rat”

Since: Mar 08

Elephant Butte, N.M.

#3 Dec 1, 2008
ex-buck35 wrote:
Saturday morning I woke up to my phone ringing. On the other end I was told that Mike Richardson had been shot by one of the so called Breckenridge Police officers. I could not belive my ears and still cannt belive that this can be true. Anyone who knew Mike, can tell you that he was the easiest person to get along with. I can honestly say that there is not a bad thing I can say about Mike. I still ask myself Why? Are the cops of Breckenridge so trigger happy that they are willing to take a innocent man, not to mention father who was that morning buying Christmas presents for his children. This matter can not be swept under the rug! This is murder. Just to think two of the Breckenridge cops went to high school with Mike.I would scared to pull over for a traffic violation just for the fact of being shot. I hope it is not just me that can see this but Breckenridge needs to get a new line of city police officers from the top to the bottom.Are they so stupid that they can not run plates or block in a vehicle. It sickens me that a innocent man takes a friend home and looses his life to police that are suppose to protect us.
Sorry about your friend but pointing a weapon at a police officer is far from being innocent. It is an open invitation to be shot.
kyle

Breckenridge, TX

#4 Dec 1, 2008
Well you also have to know how our breckenridge "cops" are. They put themselves on a higher step then others just because they are cops. I also believe that cops have several other deffense weapons like pepper spray and night sticks But for an unarmed person to be gunned down by several police in the street?!!??. What was it 9 or 16 bullet wounds from the 9mm? Kinda makes you wonder what kind of police force we have to PROTECT the public not shoot them. We don't have any gang violence in breckenridge besides the cops. But they will get just a slap on the wrist probaly just like every other time.I think some of these pigs need their badge taken before some else gets pulled over and reaches for an inhalor or cell phone or anything and the "super cops" start unloading clips. And for you Curtis Lowe what if you had a son or freind that had a little to drink and had a vehicle accident and cops shot him unarmed in cold blood?
kyle

Breckenridge, TX

#5 Dec 1, 2008
He had no weapon

“NM Desert Rat”

Since: Mar 08

Elephant Butte, N.M.

#6 Dec 1, 2008
Instead of arguing about if he was unarmed or not how about posting the news article or site address where it can be accessed? If he was armed then he had it coming. If he wasn't then there is a problem with the shoot.
mommabird

Huntsville, TX

#7 Dec 1, 2008
It's strange to me that the reports indicate that a "weapon" was pointed at officers but does not indicate what type of "weapon" was used. This leads me to believe that he did not have a gun pointing at anyone. This man was at a bar and had been drinking. This is true. If he hit a fence and was trying to flee, it was most likely because he didnt want a DWI and lose his job. He was in a vehicle that he was getting paid thru his job for and a DWI would not be tolerated. Mike was not assaultive. If officers felt threatened, there were other ways to deal with a threat rather than to shoot a man in the head.
CHYENNE85

Breckenridge, TX

#8 Dec 1, 2008
Curtis Lowe wrote:
I read the real story. Seems Mike plowed into a neighbor's fence at 2AM drunk as a skunk and then tried to flee. When police arrived, they say he pointed a weapon at them. If Mike were home in bed, he would be alive today. Seems Mike made a bad life decision.
I live in breckenridge texas and you live in san antonio you don't know what really happened all you know is what the officers of this town say, and let me just tell you there are a lot of crooked ones here. I don't believe that Mike pulled a gun on the officers because i have talked to multiple EYE witnesses who say differently so before you go judging somebody who is know longer here you just better make sure you know some of the real facts or don't say anything at all because you are not god and have no right to say who would or would not be alive today had they not made the supposed bad life decision as you say. When its your time its your time no matter where you are when it happens.
katie lee

Central City, IA

#9 Dec 1, 2008
Only God knows what really happened, but if the guy was DUI and happened to act a bit stupid, or really had a gun...anything could have happened. Lesson to be learned.....don't drive drunk. I do feel bad for the family though...and to Mike, God rest your soul....Amen.
jessica

Breckenridge, TX

#10 Dec 1, 2008
Curtis Lowe wrote:
I read the real story. Seems Mike plowed into a neighbor's fence at 2AM drunk as a skunk and then tried to flee. When police arrived, they say he pointed a weapon at them. If Mike were home in bed, he would be alive today. Seems Mike made a bad life decision.
Well Curtis.....let me just start by saying there are many things about Breckenridge Tx that many people like you are too ignorant to believe or perhaps just haven't had the chance to see it. i am only 21 years old but have lived here my whole life. i have seen good law enforcements be run off by the unimaginable things done by these police officers we are supposed to turn to for help, what help? do you know how many drug dealers and criminals walk these streets every day because of our "wonderful" law enforcements? or how about the unsolved murders or murders that have been declared suicide to cover up the truth about what really happen? ok wait let me add the 700 indictments that have been stacked up for over 7 years over 1500 total. because why? have you ever heard of a crooked cop? yeah well i have ran into more than my share here getting pulled over with illegal substances and instead of being taken to jail all i had to do was hand over what was in my possesion with no ticket or anything, and not that i'm proud of my past or getting away with something like that but i can assure you i'm not the only one to get away with it either. i could sit here for hours and tell you things you would never imagine and more than likely not believe but come stay here for a couple of months and then tell me how good of law enforcements we have here. untill you or someone in your family has been affected by the things of our city officials it's probably best you stay out of things you know nothing about.
Just_me

Stephenville, TX

#11 Dec 1, 2008
I knew Mike... He was the most friendly, outgoing person you could ever meet. Never in a million years would he have pulled a gun on the cops... They shot at his truck several times before he even attempted to get out and then shot him in the head because he reached for "What they thought was a gun in the glove box", but in reality, he was probably just ducking down to dodge bullets. The cops should never have aimed for his head when they ASSUMED he was reaching for a gun... There IS proper procedure in these situations, and the police men of Breckenridge did everything EXCEPT follow it. They were eager for some action... and this isnt the first incident, and wont be the last if nobody does anything about it. Mike was innocent. Maybe he had been drinking, but he wasnt violent. Because of plain stupidity, there are children left without a father... and people in the town scared to death to encounter the police. It shouldnt be this way.
Mee_08

Abilene, TX

#12 Dec 1, 2008
If anyone knew Mike yall would know that Mike was one of the sweetest guys you would have ever met. He would never do anything to hurt ANYONE! If Mike was so unresponsive to cops do you honestly think he would of been able to pick up a gun in the first place? Seriously think about this... And if Mike was shot in the back of the right ear and it went out of his left eye brow how would he be able to point a gun at the police officers who were standing at his PASSENGER window? He wouldn't Mikes head had to have been facing the drivers side window. If Mike was pointing a gun at the officers he would of got shot in the face, not in the back of the head. Just because you a hear a rumor that Mike pointed a gun to the officers doesn't mean its true. I would probably make up a story too if I shot an innocent man for no reason!!
kimberly

Clyde, TX

#13 Dec 1, 2008
The officers name in Breckenridge for those of you that care to know is Officer Holt! Hopefully he won't be an officer for long! Mike will definatly be missed in our family. He was a long time friend of my entire family and it has been a hard loss to deal with. Knowing that a man that is more kind hearted than any one else I have ever known... yeah he had been drinking... but how many of us aren't guilty of that? No reason to loose your life! The people that will struggle the most are those two little boys who now don't have a daddy! And Mike's Mom and Dad... I can't imagine loosing my son! OUR HEART AND PRAYERS GO OUT TO ALL OF YOU! Mike will definatly be missed by alot of people!
BHS grad 2004

Denton, TX

#14 Dec 1, 2008
kyle wrote:
Well you also have to know how our breckenridge "cops" are. They put themselves on a higher step then others just because they are cops. I also believe that cops have several other deffense weapons like pepper spray and night sticks But for an unarmed person to be gunned down by several police in the street?!!??. What was it 9 or 16 bullet wounds from the 9mm? Kinda makes you wonder what kind of police force we have to PROTECT the public not shoot them. We don't have any gang violence in breckenridge besides the cops. But they will get just a slap on the wrist probaly just like every other time.I think some of these pigs need their badge taken before some else gets pulled over and reaches for an inhalor or cell phone or anything and the "super cops" start unloading clips. And for you Curtis Lowe what if you had a son or freind that had a little to drink and had a vehicle accident and cops shot him unarmed in cold blood?
He was only shot once, in the head, not 16 times. And last I checked, pepper spray and night sticks are no use when there is a plate of tempered glass between you and the person trying to shoot you. I understand your animosity towards police, you are obviously a delinquent skank who doesn't like the cops because you are always in trouble. It is not really the cops you hate, just the law. You are a disgrace to my town. However, I hope you are right about the cops and you are the next person who gets it.
BHS grad 2004

Denton, TX

#15 Dec 1, 2008
jessica wrote:
<quoted text>
Well Curtis.....let me just start by saying there are many things about Breckenridge Tx that many people like you are too ignorant to believe or perhaps just haven't had the chance to see it. i am only 21 years old but have lived here my whole life. i have seen good law enforcements be run off by the unimaginable things done by these police officers we are supposed to turn to for help, what help? do you know how many drug dealers and criminals walk these streets every day because of our "wonderful" law enforcements? or how about the unsolved murders or murders that have been declared suicide to cover up the truth about what really happen? ok wait let me add the 700 indictments that have been stacked up for over 7 years over 1500 total. because why? have you ever heard of a crooked cop? yeah well i have ran into more than my share here getting pulled over with illegal substances and instead of being taken to jail all i had to do was hand over what was in my possesion with no ticket or anything, and not that i'm proud of my past or getting away with something like that but i can assure you i'm not the only one to get away with it either. i could sit here for hours and tell you things you would never imagine and more than likely not believe but come stay here for a couple of months and then tell me how good of law enforcements we have here. untill you or someone in your family has been affected by the things of our city officials it's probably best you stay out of things you know nothing about.
Hey Jessica, after having gone to high school with you, I think everyone who reads this should know that you can't be trusted on this. That whole 700 to 1500 indictment statistic that you pulled out of your ass is just a bold-faced lie and you know it. I'm not saying we have good city cops. It's sad when something like this happens. It's just as sad for Mike Richardson's family as it is for the police officer who was defending himself. I know him, and he has been physically ill from the remorse he feels about all this. You have no idea what you are talking about and you should be ashamed of yourself
BHS grad 2004

Denton, TX

#16 Dec 1, 2008
CHYENNE85 wrote:
<quoted text>
I live in breckenridge texas and you live in san antonio you don't know what really happened all you know is what the officers of this town say, and let me just tell you there are a lot of crooked ones here. I don't believe that Mike pulled a gun on the officers because i have talked to multiple EYE witnesses who say differently so before you go judging somebody who is know longer here you just better make sure you know some of the real facts or don't say anything at all because you are not god and have no right to say who would or would not be alive today had they not made the supposed bad life decision as you say. When its your time its your time no matter where you are when it happens.
There were no EYE witnesses. It was in the middle of the night inside a vehicle with the windows up. Unless these "EYE witnesses were in the fucking yard" how would they know. And to the guy who wanted to know about the weapon, it was a 22 rifle with a scope on it that was laying in the middle seat of the truck. The police had no choice, they are trained that when someone points a gun at you, you say fuck the pepper spray and shoot to kill. If you can't deal with that, then don't point a gun at the cops...that simple.
BHS grad 2004

Denton, TX

#17 Dec 1, 2008
Just_me wrote:
I knew Mike... He was the most friendly, outgoing person you could ever meet. Never in a million years would he have pulled a gun on the cops... They shot at his truck several times before he even attempted to get out and then shot him in the head because he reached for "What they thought was a gun in the glove box", but in reality, he was probably just ducking down to dodge bullets. The cops should never have aimed for his head when they ASSUMED he was reaching for a gun... There IS proper procedure in these situations, and the police men of Breckenridge did everything EXCEPT follow it. They were eager for some action... and this isnt the first incident, and wont be the last if nobody does anything about it. Mike was innocent. Maybe he had been drinking, but he wasnt violent. Because of plain stupidity, there are children left without a father... and people in the town scared to death to encounter the police. It shouldnt be this way.
All I have to say is that you have no idea what happened. He was sitting in the driver seat with the windows up when he pulled the 22 rifle that was in plain view in the seat. They shot him through the windows. He never attempted to get out of the truck or surrender.
BHS grad 2004

Denton, TX

#18 Dec 1, 2008
I'm tired of replying to all the idiots on this thread, so I'm just gonna tell you what actually happened. No bias, just the truth.
Mike was intoxicated, his blood alcohol concentration was .30 (legal limit is .08) so he was almost 4 times the legal limit. He almost plowed into someone's house. The police walked up to his windows which were closed and told him to stop trying to drive off. He didn't cooperate so they shot out his tires. One of the cops gun jammed. He still didn't stop trying to get away. They used their night sticks to try to break the windows so they could stop him and he pulled the 22 rifle that was sitting in the seat. One cop shot 13 times and only hit him once, in the head. He died in the driver seat of the truck with the windows up and the 22 rifle in his hands. I'm sorry for his family, it's not their fault that Mike did what he did, but what if this were different and we were talking about the children left behind by the police officer that Mike Richardson killed?
BEANOMAN

Lamesa, TX

#19 Dec 1, 2008
I, WORKED WITH MIKE ALONG WITH ABOUT 50 OTHERS. I HAVE TALKED TO MANY OF THEM AND THEY ALL SAY SOMETHING IS WRONG.I UNDERSTAND MIKE HAD BEEN DRINKING BUT THESE COPS MUST HAVE CAUSED MIKE TO PANICK. HE WOULD HAVE NEVER POINTED A GUN AT ANOTHER HUMAN ON PURPOSE DRUNK OF NOT.IF HE WAS THAT DRUNK DONT YOU THINK THEY COULD HAVE HANDLED HIM IN SOME OTHER WAY. THERE WERE 3 COPS. I AM TOLD 2 NEW HIM PERSONNALLY
2wrongsnotright

Breckenridge, TX

#20 Dec 2, 2008
"However, I hope you are right about the cops and you are the next person who gets it."

I am wondering if you are a cop BHS Grad 2004. And if you are then you scare the hell out of me that you would actually write here that you hope Kyle is the next person to get it. You scare the hell out of me even if you're not a cop to be so vicious. I didn't know Mike. But I sure hope I don't ever run into anyone like you.

Kyle, sounds as if this person knows you. If it is a cop then be careful. Actually, all of you who he has responded to please be careful. He sounds as if he is pretty good friends with the cop who shot Mike and this cop apparently has told him some detailed facts about this case. Perhaps the Texas Rangers should try to find out who you are, BHS Grad 2004.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 1 min another viewer 983,087
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing 2 min NotSoDivineMsM 15,670
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 5 min PadMark 683,630
gay guys for fun on skype (Jan '13) 40 min Dave Matthews 4
USA Today, says Jehovah's Witnesses is the fast... (Feb '08) 1 hr BORN AGAIN PAST JW 63
O.J. Simpson is about to be a free man once again. 1 hr REBUKING EVIL 19
Play "End of the Word" ..... Part 2 (Dec '16) 2 hr andet1987 85
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 5 hr harsh rebukes evi... 619,688
More from around the web