Gainesville Fl Mayoral Candidates Q&A

Posted in the Top Stories Forum

Since: Feb 13

Gainesville, FL

#1 Feb 5, 2013
Here are the questions I asked, will update with responses as they come in:
Do you support new taxes, or even lowering taxes?
Do you support free market competition in energy, in any/everything else?
What do you you feel the role of government is?
How much money do you really feel the government needs to carry out its duties?
What is your position on guns?

Gainesville Mayor

Ed Braddy:(response time:approx 6hours)

Good morning.
A) I oppose new taxes and would support lowering the current tax/fee burden. When I was a city commissioner, I advocated lowering the property tax rate, which the commission did a few times ... but not enough.
B) I support market competition in nearly all areas, and that includes energy. I think we see now the danger of a public utility free from competition - GRU's rate hikes are about to skyrocket due to the disastrous biomass contract obligation.
C) The role of government is to preserve our liberty. To me that means government - at all levels - must be limited in scope; its footprint must be small and light. It is there to provide core services such as police and fire protection, maintain the infrastructure we all use like roads and parks, and very little else. It should have minimal impact on the private sector - that includes both business and residential. Government should facilitate an environment where people can maximize their freedom, and our constitution mandates that government preserve the republican form of government.
D) Government provides services. My view is it should provide these services at a cost no greater than necessary. If you can find such service offered privately in the yellow pages, then such service should be opened to competition. If not, then - again - at a cost to the taxpayer that is no greater than necessary. One thing that distinguishes me from the other candidates is that they support on some level grandiose public projects that we simply cannot afford - bimass, bus rapid transit, downtown convention center, etc. I don't.
E) I'm a gun owner and supporter of the Second Amendment. I believe what the Founding Fathers believed - that the 2nd Amendment guarantees an individual's right to keep and bear arms.

Hope this helps.
Regards,
Ed

edbraddy.com

Scherwin L. Henry:(4 days, has not answered questions, asked for my name before answering questions)

Peter Lars Johnson:(no response so far)

Craig Lowe:(no response so far)

Donald E. Shepherd, Sr.:(no response so far)

Mark Venzke:(response time:3days,answers coming)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Wake up, Black America!! (Sep '13) 3 min Johnny 4,880
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 7 min River Tam 778,299
Thousands march in Holocaust memorial (Apr '06) 46 min just American 41
Too many Asians in California which makes it suck (Mar '12) 1 hr Easton 100
The World Will End On May 21, 2011 (Aug '08) 1 hr Protester 16,461
how to lose weight by subway diet 2 hr saly ramy 1
skype sex id luv to try it (Aug '13) 2 hr shem 81
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 3 hr mike 605,330
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 4 hr Oxbow 560,442
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 5 hr Rick in Kansas 265,444
Straight guys: Would you ever have intercourse ... (Jul '12) 7 hr Trannyfucker 136
More from around the web