Troubling that stores don't say Merry...

Troubling that stores don't say Merry Christmas?

Created by sjohnson721 on Dec 13, 2007

1,004 votes

Click on an option to vote

Taking Christ out of Christmas

Being politically correct

Trying something new

Doesn't bother me

First Prev
of 22
Next Last
dirty whiteboy

Traverse City, MI

#1 Dec 13, 2007
i don't think it's troubling. the U.S. has a very diverse culture and there is nothing wrong with recognizing that and respecting that.

“Otter”

Since: Jan 07

New York, NY

#2 Dec 13, 2007
The Holiday is actually Winter Solstice - it was just stolen by those who think Jesus was born on 12/25.
Larry

Minneapolis, MN

#3 Dec 13, 2007
The only thing that bothers me about it, is, its the holiday that most stores will gauge the years sales success on, and they won't acknowledge it!!

Its like looking a gift horse in the mouth. I personally won't go to a store that won't say it! Not because of religious beliefs, but because they are basically trying to not acknowledge the holiday that will bring them there success.

I think its ridiculous that it comes to this because of the word Christ. Everyone should just get over it! IMHO

“Help Cecil Help!”

Since: Dec 06

Lafayette IN

#4 Dec 13, 2007
Somehow I have difficulty with the notion that Christ would recognize the orgy of consumerism in a typical American retail outlet as being related to a celebration of His birth.

I can see him treating most merchants like a red-head step-money changer, however.

“Serenity Now!”

Since: May 07

York Township, OH

#5 Dec 13, 2007
dirty whiteboy wrote:
i don't think it's troubling. the U.S. has a very diverse culture and there is nothing wrong with recognizing that and respecting that.
I disagree. By not acknowledging or recognizing Christmas, it seems to me that they're not respecting a holiday that is celebrated by millions. That's INtolerance, not tolerance.

People tried to be so "tolerant" that they went too far and began to offend the majority. This is why more and more stores and companies are saying "Merry Christmas" again.

The evil of political correctness needs to be destroyed.
Liz

United States

#6 Dec 13, 2007
Unfortunately, our customer care reps are now being told NOT to say Merry Christmas, or Happy New Years. They are told to say "Happy Holidays" only because they don't want our customers to be offended.
One mall in Australia is no longer allowing their Santa's to say Ho Ho Ho because it may offend some women as this is "slang for prostitute." So now they have to say, "Ha Ha Ha." Not sure if they can say Merry Christmas..
Phillip

Edgartown, MA

#7 Dec 14, 2007
I assume something like 10% of the population celebrates something other than Christmas so rather than be wrong 10% of the time I'd rather say "happy holidays" and be right 100% of the time unless I know what holiday the person in question celebrates
Jane in CT

Arlington, TX

#8 Dec 14, 2007
I vote for "happy holiday, buy more stuff next time"
Sharon

Zanesville, OH

#9 Dec 14, 2007
WildWierdWille wrote:
Somehow I have difficulty with the notion that Christ would recognize the orgy of consumerism in a typical American retail outlet as being related to a celebration of His birth.
I can see him treating most merchants like a red-head step-money changer, however.
It's "Blessed Christmas",that's how I see it. Not comfortable with the "Merry" being connected with Christmas. HAVE A BLESSED CHRISTMAS!
BloodyViking

Mebane, NC

#10 Dec 14, 2007
Phillip wrote:
I assume something like 10% of the population celebrates something other than Christmas so rather than be wrong 10% of the time I'd rather say "happy holidays" and be right 100% of the time unless I know what holiday the person in question celebrates
Well, apparently you aren't megomanialcally self important enough to see anything which isn't specifically tailored to you and you alone as an attack. Good for you.

The simple fact is that there are multiple holidays. Even Christians celebrate both Christmas and New Years. That would be "Holidays" would it not? ;-D Not to mention Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, the Solstice, Yule, and a bunch of others not celebrated by Christians.

“You betcha!”

Since: Aug 07

United States

#11 Dec 14, 2007
WildWierdWille wrote:
Somehow I have difficulty with the notion that Christ would recognize the orgy of consumerism in a typical American retail outlet as being related to a celebration of His birth.
I can see him treating most merchants like a red-head step-money changer, however.
I agree, I think can't remember exactly but Christmas was made into a tradition back when Christians tried to blend with a pagan culture hoping to draw in new converts. So it was born out of Christianity and a holiday celebrated by pagans, then decreed I believe by Constantine. It has actually NOTHING to do with the birth of Christ other than being labeled as the day we celebrate His birth, which as an aside was believed to be sometime in the fall of the year.

“You betcha!”

Since: Aug 07

United States

#12 Dec 14, 2007
IMHO-If I were guessing, I'd say Christ is pretty much appalled with the whole consumerism, comercialism, stress, debt and every other stronghold that's been designed to captivate the mind and spirit AWAY from the true meaning of peace, charity, and good will in His name.
But as has been wonderfuly stated before when it comes to being human, the road to hell is paved with good intentions...

“Serenity Now!”

Since: May 07

York Township, OH

#13 Dec 14, 2007
Phillip wrote:
I assume something like 10% of the population celebrates something other than Christmas so rather than be wrong 10% of the time I'd rather say "happy holidays" and be right 100% of the time unless I know what holiday the person in question celebrates
But you're not wrong if, for example, you say "Merry Christmas" to someone who is Jewish. If someone were to wish me a "Happy Hannukah", I wouldn't think anything of it, even though I don't celebrate that holiday. I'd take it as a nice gesture.....I certainly wouldn't be offended by it.

But the secular progressives and the liberal media have already decided for us that it IS offensive, which is why we're in this situation today.

“You betcha!”

Since: Aug 07

Glen Cove, NY

#14 Dec 14, 2007
Brittle Fingers wrote:
<quoted text>
But you're not wrong if, for example, you say "Merry Christmas" to someone who is Jewish. If someone were to wish me a "Happy Hannukah", I wouldn't think anything of it, even though I don't celebrate that holiday. I'd take it as a nice gesture.....I certainly wouldn't be offended by it.
But the secular progressives and the liberal media have already decided for us that it IS offensive, which is why we're in this situation today.
You hit that nail on the head!!
scrooge

El Paso, TX

#15 Dec 14, 2007
I don't want to hear it, don't want to say it.

Perhaps the public would serve best by keeping their mouth shut altogether.

“I was Phillip before.”

Since: Dec 07

New England

#16 Dec 14, 2007
Brittle Fingers wrote:
<quoted text>
But you're not wrong if, for example, you say "Merry Christmas" to someone who is Jewish. If someone were to wish me a "Happy Hannukah", I wouldn't think anything of it, even though I don't celebrate that holiday. I'd take it as a nice gesture.....I certainly wouldn't be offended by it.
But the secular progressives and the liberal media have already decided for us that it IS offensive, which is why we're in this situation today.
Just out of curiosity are you Christian? If you are would you like it if everywhere you went people were like "Happy Devil worshiping day!"

Or what if everywhere you went on Hanukah people were like "happy birthday!"

I would just think it'd be annoying
bigbird

Sacramento, CA

#17 Dec 14, 2007
[One mall in Australia is no longer allowing their Santa's to say Ho Ho Ho because it may offend some women as this is "slang for prostitute." So now they have to say, "Ha Ha Ha." Not sure if they can say Merry Christmas
nOW THAT IS TOTAL REDICULOUS! whats crackin offend crack head yo cuedo taco bell puppy offend hispanic, what the hell ever. I may be human but I am not in the race is the best one I have seen yet. Watch Archie Bunk of days of old and see how far backwards we as a human race have gone! sad sad
Anndee

Appleton, WI

#18 Dec 14, 2007
Saranacotter wrote:
The Holiday is actually Winter Solstice - it was just stolen by those who think Jesus was born on 12/25.
The national and state holiday called Christmas is not a World Religions Day. It’s Christmas Day. Christmas is constitutional!
MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!!!!!
Anndee

Appleton, WI

#19 Dec 14, 2007
December 12, 2007

U.S. House Passes Resolution Supporting Christmas and Christianity

The U.S. House was considering a resolution recognizing the importance of Christmas and the Christian faith.

We are pleased to report that the Resolution passed by a vote of 372 to 9. Nine members voted against the resolution, ten refused to support it by voting "present," and 40 others members did not vote.

The nine members who voted against the Christmas Resolution were all Democrats: Ackerman (NY), Clarke (NY), DeGette (CO), Hastings (FL), Lee (CA), McDermott (WA), Scott (VA), Stark (CA) and Woolsey (CA). The 10 who answered “present” without entering a vote were also Democrats except one: Conyers (MI), Frank (MA), Holt (NJ), Payne (NJ), Pence (Republican from IN), Schakowsky (PA), Schwartz (PA), Wasserman-Schultz (FL), Welch (VT) and Yarmuth (KY).

To find our how your representative voted on the Christmas Resolution, see the roll call vote which is posted online at http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2007/roll1143.xml .
MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!!!!!!
Anndee

Appleton, WI

#20 Dec 14, 2007
Liz wrote:
Unfortunately, our customer care reps are now being told NOT to say Merry Christmas, or Happy New Years. They are told to say "Happy Holidays" only because they don't want our customers to be offended.
One mall in Australia is no longer allowing their Santa's to say Ho Ho Ho because it may offend some women as this is "slang for prostitute." So now they have to say, "Ha Ha Ha." Not sure if they can say Merry Christmas..
Holiday is Holy day!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 22
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 3 min here 63,373
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 10 min another viewer 973,652
sexy girl want to Skype fun Skype: dilinazi20 (Apr '15) 26 min Allauddin khan 53
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 33 min Just Think 653,676
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 49 min Pegasus 281,841
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 54 min lil whispers 618,750
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 1 hr ChristineM 445,964
More from around the web