they're too smart, it's scary.
No blondes. ;)

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#4 Aug 15, 2010
Parroty wrote:
<quoted text>
No blondes. ;)
lol I wonder what it is about blondes that make them so ... different.

“Winchester Model 1894”

Since: Apr 07

Roy, Washington

#5 Aug 15, 2010
A Muchness wrote:
they're too smart, it's scary.
If you had ever visited a classroom here in the U.S. you'd understand. The Asian countries have a very strict study principle, this goes from the home to the classroom, anything less would dishonor the family.

Location hidden

#6 Aug 15, 2010
MPMARTIN wrote:
<quoted text>
If you had ever visited a classroom here in the U.S. you'd understand. The Asian countries have a very strict study principle, this goes from the home to the classroom, anything less would dishonor the family.
Actually, I'm Asian.(Filipino). So I know the strictness and the dedication and all that.

I guess I just wanted to know how other people rationalized it....
andet1987

Chicago, IL

#7 Aug 15, 2010
60 + 9 = 69

Andet
Gaysian

“Winchester Model 1894”

Roy, Washington

#8 Aug 15, 2010
A Muchness wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, I'm Asian.(Filipino). So I know the strictness and the dedication and all that.
I guess I just wanted to know how other people rationalized it....
When I worked for IBM and serviced the computers in the class room, I couldn't believe it. The teacher had to almost shout to be heard. After class I commented to the teacher, he just shrugged his shoulders and said 'There's nothing I can do, my hands are tied'. And people wonder why the U.S. has a failing education system.

When I went to school (class of 61) you sat still and kept your mouth shut, anything else and you're off to the principals office and a wooden paddle. Three times of that and you're expelled.

Location hidden

#9 Aug 15, 2010
MPMARTIN wrote:
<quoted text>
When I worked for IBM and serviced the computers in the class room, I couldn't believe it. The teacher had to almost shout to be heard. After class I commented to the teacher, he just shrugged his shoulders and said 'There's nothing I can do, my hands are tied'. And people wonder why the U.S. has a failing education system.
When I went to school (class of 61) you sat still and kept your mouth shut, anything else and you're off to the principals office and a wooden paddle. Three times of that and you're expelled.
so real education was really offered once upon a time?
I'm in university now and I find myself ashamed that my generation spends more time texting behind their books than listening to anything the teacher has to say.

Ironically, tuition costs more money now than before whilst schools are less able to give proper educations.
Sandra

Montréal, Canada

#10 Aug 15, 2010
Asians have superior brains, period. Not PC, but true.

“Winchester Model 1894”

Roy, Washington

#11 Aug 15, 2010
Sandra wrote:
Asians have superior brains, period. Not PC, but true.
I don't have any documentation to support or refute your post, but I don't agree. I believe we all have the same ability to learn, it's a matter of willingness and support and study ethics.

Location hidden

#12 Aug 15, 2010
MPMARTIN wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't have any documentation to support or refute your post, but I don't agree. I believe we all have the same ability to learn, it's a matter of willingness and support and study ethics.
I agree. It's the values and beliefs instilled into the young mind that gives that person the ability to determine what is more important. In the case of many Asians, education is valued, specifically mathematical skills.
Baad

Babson Park, MA

#14 Aug 15, 2010
Actually I wonder if it is all Asians or perhaps those Asian who specifically use Kanji. Years ago I remember reading about tests provided different groups and the whites did best in English, Jewish people in arithmetic, and Asians best in spatial math and science.

Perhaps in addition to study, strict schools, etc. the use of Kanji which uses 400 to several thousand symbols each representing an idea helps foster spatial mathematical abilities. After all you have to study in great detail to master 400 to thousands of characters each representing an idea (rather than 26 characters), you have to pay VERY close attention to detail in tiny spatial differences between characters, and then you are able to combine separate ideas into new ideas by putting characters together (for example: Crisis is made up from Danger and Opportunity). I conjecture that the exacting spatial memorization and the use of abstract symbols to reperesent reality provides a strong background for studying advanced math and science. What do you think?

“Winchester Model 1894”

Roy, Washington

#15 Aug 15, 2010
Baad,

You could very well be right. But you lost me after the last spatula.
andet1987

Chicago, IL

#16 Aug 16, 2010
i am Asian, but i believe the smartest are the White people and Jews.

proof:

most Nobel Prize winners in different categories are Whites and Jews.

first man on the moon was Neil Armstrong.

the smartest Jeopardy contestant was Ken Jennings.

there are more White USA presidents than Black.

the most famous inventors are White people.

most Popes are light skinned or Whites.

most top grossing films are directed by Whites and Jews(James Cameron, Steven Speilberg, etc)

Jane

Oakland, CA

#17 Aug 16, 2010
They work hard and spend more hours in school. I have Chinese friends that say they value the creativity of US kids more than the rote learning they get. Grass is always greener on other side I guess.
Asian decent

Canada

#18 Sep 25, 2010
Don't judge a book by its cover.

It all comes down to where you were schooled and the discipline behind it.

I may look Chinese but I'm born and raised American. I never did well in math or science. However, I'm always stereotyped by my professors. They assumed I had help with my English assignments.

So there!
andet1987

Onalaska, WI

#20 Sep 25, 2010
Whites are the smartest, and they rule the world.

the next USA President will be Glenn Beck. Whites are always the ruler of the most powerful nation on earth, the USA. Obama is half white.

the richest men on earth are Carlos Slim Helu, Bill Gates, and Warren Buffet are all white people.
Lost In Transition

United States

#21 Sep 25, 2010
I'm pretty sure they cheat a lot.
KIP

San Francisco, CA

#22 Sep 25, 2010
I live in an Asian neighborhood and know many asian people.

Yes, they study VERY hard. While we're out having pizza and socializing they're studying. While we're here on topix, they're studying. While we're obsessing over boyfriends, girlfriends, hair, and cars, they're obsessing over grades, schools, and classes.

They're parents tend to be VERY strict when it comes to academics. Some kids even get beat.
because

United States

#23 Dec 19, 2011
Most of us were raised in a society where studying leads to a bright future.
We also compete a lot; so little jobs compared to the population. Studying is like a habit for us(I know; I also feel its worthless in the end:3), we are determined to work hard, focus on little stuff while you guys focus on big things> why we don't really miss things on the test. We tend to know every little thing!

Were trained to study and work hard.

We study to survive.

Of course, there's the parent thing too.;)

Oh, and we're not naturally smart.(ofcourse were not stupid, though) I guess our brain develops faster since we learn most things earlier than southern countries! I learned what were learning in school now in 6th grade, in a far more advanced&difficult way -:P

@@@@ To Racists@@@@

You know another reason why???

We DO NOT want to be considered short stupid Yellow people. I know I don't. We study to show the world that asians aren't the most useless race in the world. We want to tel people that we are also smart and talented.

We suck at English(some of us), but can YOU speak Korean Japanese Chinese Vietnamese etc as good as our English? NO. You won't even pronounce it right.
We study hard to understand English stuff, and to be good at something else besides English, since that seems to be our weakpoint.

Hey, my dads sorta small but do you know why?
He studied so much and had little sleep since he was in middle school. A major reason why were small is because we don't sleep much to study. And why? We're sick of racists thinking we're a retarded race. So before you decide to ask us why were so short, go check your grades and think about how you treat us.
And unlike some of you, who grow horizontally, most of us tend to grow 'up'.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 2 min Buck Crick 100,551
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 1 hr RiversideRedneck 980,169
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 1 hr Liamm 670,352
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 6 hr Sky Writer 31 184,288
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 9 hr Jehowa Witness 46,179
Treating others with respect 11 hr UnderstandPeople 14
Do any attractive cougars or milfs want to trad... (Dec '11) 12 hr Seejay 4
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) Wed Pegasus 286,455
More from around the web