Can society survive without religious structure?

Created by Author Bradley Fowler on Oct 23, 2007

10,388 votes

Click on an option to vote

No

Maybe.

Perhaps it can.

I don't think so.

Definitely

Not sure.

Yes.

God will not like it.

Islam is about God

religion is man-made

Easter Bunny

Arroyo Seco, NM

#2627 Nov 8, 2008
yabbadabba wrote:
You hate God, but won't admit it.
We cannot hate the object of your favorite fairy-tale because he doesn't exist. Remember?

“Its all in the mind..or is it?”

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

#2628 Nov 8, 2008
Easter Bunny wrote:
<quoted text>
For sure, if any being is more insane than people, it would have to be the infantile God that most people describe as their creator.
I stay with the spagety moster any day...

“Question everything.”

Since: Jan 07

Lookingglass Land

#2629 Nov 8, 2008
This discussion of Adam and Eve is just too silly. So how do the Neanderthals fit into Genesis?
Rob

Mcallen, TX

#2630 Nov 8, 2008
All religion is bunk. Thomas A. Edison, Inventer.

Visit: Atheists of South Texas. com

Rob

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

#2631 Nov 9, 2008
Cherokee wrote:
<quoted text>Their god was even more insane for punishing them when he knew they were not perfect.
So god created imperfect beings. And, since god is omniscient he knew when he create them exactly what would happen, and being omnipotent, he could have created them in a way to prevent the whole problem, if he wanted to.

The whole story is just to illogical to believe. But without genesis, there is no 'original sin' and, therefore, no need for a redeemer, which means the whole house of cards called christianity falls apart.

Location hidden

#2633 Nov 10, 2008
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
So god created imperfect beings. And, since god is omniscient he knew when he create them exactly what would happen, and being omnipotent, he could have created them in a way to prevent the whole problem, if he wanted to.
The whole story is just to illogical to believe. But without genesis, there is no 'original sin' and, therefore, no need for a redeemer, which means the whole house of cards called christianity falls apart.
It is all about control.

Location hidden

#2634 Nov 10, 2008
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
There are a lot of Christian people that are good people and I like them But Atheists like you I like a lot.

Since: Aug 08

Rochdale, England

#2635 Nov 10, 2008
Abbey Yoyo wrote:
This discussion of Adam and Eve is just too silly. So how do the Neanderthals fit into Genesis?
They escaped & formed the Republican Party.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Atlanta, Georgia

#2636 Nov 11, 2008
Cherokee wrote:
<quoted text>There are a lot of Christian people that are good people and I like them But Atheists like you I like a lot.
Thank you.

You know someday someone may find an experiment to prove design, but they've already lost on the argument for intelligence.

Location hidden

#2637 Nov 11, 2008
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you.
You know someday someone may find an experiment to prove design, but they've already lost on the argument for intelligence.
Yes maybe one day. I am not holding my breath. I really don't need proof. I am happy with what we have.

“Free your mind”

Since: Sep 07

Location hidden

#2638 Nov 11, 2008
Riverine Furbearer wrote:
<quoted text>thats what I am talking about - the definition of sanity is to know the difference between good and evil(right and wrong). Adam and eve were insane - how can you punish the insane for being insane?
By giving them 8 years as POTUS of course.

"Everybody must get stoned."

“Free your mind”

Location hidden

#2639 Nov 11, 2008
Easter Bunny wrote:
<quoted text>
For sure, if any being is more insane than people, it would have to be the infantile God that most people describe as their creator.
I'm still trying to figure out how, if 'he' is divine, his follwers still insist on defining 'him' through fallible human attributes.

“Free your mind”

Location hidden

#2640 Nov 11, 2008
Abbey Yoyo wrote:
They are the guys riding on the dinosaurs in those creation museums, don't you know?
Easter Bunny

Albuquerque, NM

#2641 Nov 11, 2008
Some1 Else wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm still trying to figure out how, if 'he' is divine, his follwers still insist on defining 'him' through fallible human attributes.
Yeah, aside from being profoundly sexist, the other attributes ascribed to deities always make them sound like capricious tyrants.

Since: May 07

Indianapolis

#2642 Nov 11, 2008
The Chinese seem to be doing very well without an invisible friend in the sky.
We may not admire the particular form their culture has assumed since 1950 but you will have to admit it is an orderly society.
When I see pictures of Chinese villages on TV, I don't see a village church in any of them like you see in European and American towns. Nor do I see any great cathedrals in their cities.
I never visited China but I have talked to people who did. They didn't see rampant crime in this "heathen godless" country.
Before you accuse me of it; no, I do not look on China as a role model for the U.S. but I think we can learn something from them; namely that we can ignore all these God pimps that keep trying to convince us that we need them to keep our society from descending into chaos.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Atlanta, Georgia

#2643 Nov 11, 2008
velogeezer wrote:
We may not admire the particular form their culture has assumed since 1950 but you will have to admit it is an orderly society.
When I see pictures of Chinese villages on TV, I don't see a village church in any of them like you see in European and American towns. Nor do I see any great cathedrals in their cities.
I never visited China but I have talked to people who did. They didn't see rampant crime in this "heathen godless" country.
Before you accuse me of it; no, I do not look on China as a role model for the U.S. but I think we can learn something from them; namely that we can ignore all these God pimps that keep trying to convince us that we need them to keep our society from descending into chaos.
You might also study Scandinavian cultures. The are advanced societies on par with the U.S. and have a lower incident of felony crime, a lower incident of teenage pregnancy, and higher scores on basic math and science knowledge. They are also much more secular.

“ALWAYS IN SEARCH OF TRUTH”

Since: Aug 08

Oakland, CA

#2644 Nov 12, 2008
religious zealots are crazy as hell...
Easter Bunny

Albuquerque, NM

#2645 Nov 12, 2008
... maybe that's why they conceived Hell.
Easter Bunny

Albuquerque, NM

#2646 Nov 12, 2008
AMANWITHANEDGE wrote:
religious zealots are crazy as hell...
... maybe that's why they conceived Hell.

Location hidden

#2647 Nov 12, 2008
velogeezer wrote:
Good points

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 8 min Kaitlin the Wolf ... 765,085
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 9 min USA Born 555,041
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 11 min Rick in Kansas 263,609
sexy Lisa 12 min samnort 3
Stung By Scandals, GOP Proposes New Ethics Rules (Mar '06) 20 min Swedenforever 9
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 41 min Innocent Holy dr ... 603,691
What Your Church Won't Tell You by Dave and Gar... (Apr '10) 42 min Protester 33,136
Hot gays in Abu Dhabi (Nov '13) 3 hr Ayyan 1,187

Top Stories People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE