Is Hip Hop to blame?

“Its all about frequencies”

Since: Dec 07

Des Moines, IA

#2 Dec 11, 2007
True i know the distinction between Hip Hop and hot garbage claiming to be Hip Hop to give the whole genre of music a bad name. Hip Hop being comprised of four elements; Emceeing, DJ-ing, Breakdancing and Graffiti Art. While Hot Garbage is comprised of five elements; Emceeing, Sex, Murder, Drug Dealing and Stunting. Hip Hop artist usually are unique and give you a realistic picture of where they come from. While Hot Garbage artist's are not unique at all, and they give you a unrealistic and exaggerated picture of where they come from. Pop music in general whether it be pop/hip hop, pop/rock, pop/r & b, ect,. I believe shouldn't be listened to by people under 17 or people who are so simple minded they can't distinguish reality from fantasy. The same goes for movies also, because movies like God Father, Scarface, New Jack City i seen made alot of simple minded mofo's wanna imitate. I'd say the media period has been a tool to dumb down the entire population no matter the race but in others its been used more so as a self destruct mechanism. Today human life and everything that goes on around the world is based on psychology and various psychological principles. Psychology is being used in every country to construct specific mental & emotional patterns in the minds of their citizens. Psychology is being used to move the people in various directions, while keeping them from moving in other directions. Applied psychology is the basis of all our thoughts, feelings, aspirations, opinions, beliefs, viewpoints, attitudes - every part of our mental/emotional being. Psychology is being used to construct various mental/emotional patterns within our minds ... to construct the vary fabric of our minds. Psychology is the means by which life here on the planet can be orchestrated. I believe they helped mold a music that once was very deverse and uplifting and turned it into a oversexed, violent, mafia protrayed, parting and bullshit, then used it to influence blacks and other peoples perspective of blacks as a whole. When the music was deverse you had more then one perspective of blacks as a whole. Now that Masta And Uncle Tom have infultrated hip hop and made a version of their own called "Hot Gargage", now for every Lauryn Hill there is 50 - Lil 'Kim's and from every Immortal technique there is 50 - Lil Wanyes. A large portion of those rappers are in fact studio gangtas and alot of them just say rap/hip hop is only entertainment thus their allowed to be studio gangtas so thats not art imitating life. They are in fact similiar to actors!!! Why do you think alot of them become actors and start making movies after they make it big in the music biz? Hollywood just like the music industry is one and the same simple and plan, Universal, Warner Bros, Sony, ect (Are the Major Record Labels as well as Major Movie Studios).

Des Moines, IA

#3 Dec 11, 2007
A $10 billion dollar a year Hip-Hop industry that claims to reflect black life and culture; but 80% of it is consumed by whites.

Over 90% of radio stations, record labels, magazines, TV stations, and retailers that disseminate hip-hop and associated products including music, clothes, movies, and games -- are white-owned.

African-American teens ages 12-17 listen to more than 18 hours of radio per week on average, compared to 13.5 hours for all teens (Radio Advertising Bureau, 2002).

Thirty percent of African-American teens are among the most frequent TV viewers (the top TV-viewing quintile) versus 21.1% of non-African-American teens (Simmons Market Research Bureau Adult Fall 2002 and Teen 2002 National Consumer Surveys).

http://www.industryears.com/issues.php

The real hip hop

http://templeofhiphop.org/index.php... d=39

Des Moines, IA

#4 Dec 11, 2007
Data from the ``Black Youth Project'' indicated that while 58 percent of blacks between ages 15 and 25 listen to hip-hop daily, most are dissatisfied with it. They find the subject matter is too violent, and women too often portrayed in offensive ways. Such feelings hint at a dirty little secret of the music business: Blacks are used largely to validate musical themes being marketed to the white mainstream. In other words, while 90 percent of commercial rap artists on TV and radio are black, the target audience lies outside the black community. - Paul Porter (former music programmer at BET) Questlove of the Roots supported Porter's allegation with his own story about the process behind the group's Grammy-winning hit with Erykah Badu, ``You Got Me.'' He said the Roots had to pony up close to ``a million dollars'' to a middle man who worked his magic'' at radio stations. Initially, the overtly positive song had been rejected, he explained, so palms were greased with the promise that key stations countrywide would get hot ``summer jam'' concert acts in exchange for airplay. According to Questlove, more than $1 million in cash and resources were eventually laid out for the success of that single song.

Des Moines, IA

#5 Dec 11, 2007
"Nowadays everyone rhymes, but not everyone can present themselves the way they want to be seen, a label always skews that because at the end of the day it's not your vision, it belongs to someone else." - Immortal Technique

"I’m not a boy, I’m a man. A lot of rappers that I meet are real immature. It’s like they’ve had somebody take care of them their whole life. They’ve had the label which has been their surrogate parent. I don’t have that." - Immortal Technique

"The best way to destroy a movement is to become part of it and corrupt it. Infiltrate it. In every movement, we’ve always been infiltrated. If the government really finds revolutionary hip hop to be a real issue, they’ll just bankroll somebody who has a similar message to mine but is much more in line with their politics. They’ll look more rational than me by their standards by conforming to American society and saying all right,‘this is what it is." - Immortal Technique

"Brainwashed commercial hip hop is a government plot." - Immortal Technique
dirty whiteboy

Traverse City, MI

#7 Dec 11, 2007
i think the real blame is on the parents for not providing a positive role model and raising kids that are simple minded enough to be manipulated by what they see and hear. in a close second we have too many people glorifying this kind of lifestyle and kids don't get a true representation of the many pitfalls that can come your way by living it.
Pat

Granby, CT

#9 Dec 11, 2007
Hip hop is the effect the cause is low IQ and a lack of morality.
jethro

Seattle, WA

#11 Dec 11, 2007
Yes. You never hear of a shooting at a bluegrass concert.

Des Moines, IA

#12 Dec 11, 2007
dirty whiteboy wrote:
i think the real blame is on the parents for not providing a positive role model and raising kids that are simple minded enough to be manipulated by what they see and hear. in a close second we have too many people glorifying this kind of lifestyle and kids don't get a true representation of the many pitfalls that can come your way by living it.
Society is to blame.
SickOfItAll

Hollywood, FL

#13 Dec 11, 2007
It's not THE hip hop, per say. It IS the particular people involved who choose to promote disgusting things, show a lack of class, a lack of morals and show a downright criminal element. Then they use it as a reason to dress in a disgusting manner and commit crimes. The type of hip hop out there is generally bad, lately.

Des Moines, IA

#14 Dec 11, 2007
SickOfItAll wrote:
It's not THE hip hop, per say. It IS the particular people involved who choose to promote disgusting things, show a lack of class, a lack of morals and show a downright criminal element. Then they use it as a reason to dress in a disgusting manner and commit crimes. The type of hip hop out there is generally bad, lately.
yet it seems that the record labels are promoting this crap.

Des Moines, IA

#16 Dec 11, 2007
people hate the truth lol
dirty whiteboy

Traverse City, MI

#17 Dec 11, 2007
PhreQuency wrote:
<quoted text>
Society is to blame.
i agree with you on that to a degree but ultimately the parents have to teach the kids that what the majority of our society does is not right.
i do agree that it's not always the parents fault though because kids have a mind of their own and a lot of them follow the crowd.
dirty whiteboy

Traverse City, MI

#18 Dec 11, 2007
PhreQuency wrote:
<quoted text>
heres the problem. the record companies are creating more and promoting it but there is also a market for it.

all the kids want to be hard,a pimp and loaded with money. it's a vicious cycle kept alive by an ideal. an example, most of the younger kids i meet don't want to go to school, get a job, a family and be upstanding citizens. they want the fast money and women and they don't really care how they get it or who gets hurt in the process(as long as they are getting theirs). seems to be a huge difference between the people who like the style of hip hop and those who don't have morals.
ShebaSexOperator
#19 Dec 12, 2007
PhreQuency wrote:
<quoted text>
Society is to blame.

Yes I agree.

We know that the record industry puts this music out there because it sells. And those who sing it make more money. But we have to have a balance and I think the music industry needs to be responsible and promote positive artists with positive messages too.

The Grammys are any indication, lyrics promoting hatred, objectification and exploitation of women are increasingly accepted as authentic forms of artistic expression particularly in SOME rap and hip hop music.

At some point, we have to look at what that says about the world we live in? At what cost?
SickOfItAll

Hollywood, FL

#20 Dec 12, 2007
PhreQuency wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly, it's a business and all they care about is the money and not the effects that it has on the youth of society. Especially poor, less educated you who are very vulnerable and seek for something they deem cool to follow. That's the problem and then it's amplified by the industry further glamorizing it.
Pat

Granby, CT

#21 Dec 12, 2007
SickOfItAll wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly, it's a business and all they care about is the money and not the effects that it has on the youth of society. Especially poor, less educated you who are very vulnerable and seek for something they deem cool to follow. That's the problem and then it's amplified by the industry further glamorizing it.
So in other words black youth are so stupid they will eat whatever the music industry feeds to them? Their ability to understand right from wrong is neutralized by the music industry thus corrupting a huge number of black youths? This is just more of the same ol blame game. It's like blacks blaming guns for their inappropriate use of them or like blaming crack for their drug dealing. At some point blacks are going to have to take responsibility for their immoral behavior because very few of us are buying that line of bs any more.
SickOfItAll

Hollywood, FL

#22 Dec 12, 2007
Pat wrote:
<quoted text>
So in other words black youth are so stupid they will eat whatever the music industry feeds to them? Their ability to understand right from wrong is neutralized by the music industry thus corrupting a huge number of black youths? This is just more of the same ol blame game. It's like blacks blaming guns for their inappropriate use of them or like blaming crack for their drug dealing. At some point blacks are going to have to take responsibility for their immoral behavior because very few of us are buying that line of bs any more.
I absolutely agree with you. Black do need to take responsibilty for their own plights. But there is no reason to glamorize disgusting behavior and crime and aim it at them. It does add to the problem. They can push positive things, instead, in their lyrics.
asian men carries on

Orange, CA

#24 May 26, 2013
Hip hop is not what it use to be. now a days,it is rhyming and yapping but not enough talent to show for. to be honest,producers are not to blame wholefully for their sales. it's the parents who allow this to be exposed. the people buy the albums,it is not forced. if you feel society is being affected by negative influence,then change it by boycotting it and not buying it. the producers can't control what you listen to,only if you allow it.

the 'N' word for example does not come from hip hop. African american people have been calling eachother the 'N' word or the 'er' at the end of it for years. African american's have adopted the word and try to own it but it just makes the black community at large a big laughing stock. why would you use a term so dehumanizing
when the word has been slung at you guys for years to undervalue you. the usage of the word cannot be blamed on hip hop. the blame falls on the fact that black americans are dealing with self hatred. you are being conditioned to hate yourselves.

atleast in the 90s,the women and men were educating their people. rap makes people think it's okay to say it. especially female rappers,women back then respected themselves and had ambitions now they waste their time messing around with strangers in their bed. i like hip hop music but i don't enjoy music that refers to women as deragatory names because i am not down for that. i like that music can reflect a black woman being strong and sexy using her mind and not her body. now look where we are today. the generation is doomed.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Should Black People Forgive White People for Sl... (Jun '07) 4 min Johnny 4,935
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 20 min Ricky F 183,445
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 23 min kent 658,404
I prefer women's satin panties over men's under... (Mar '16) 26 min Panty boy lil Pep... 36
Mistress need slave/sub to dominate 38 min Lil dick panty sissu 2
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 41 min Aura Mytha 70,089
my cousin touches me when i am asleep and i kin... (Mar '14) 45 min Curious 58
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 1 hr nanoanomaly 974,632
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 3 hr Brian_G 282,869
More from around the web