“100% Princess”

Since: Jan 07

and totally harmless

#54398 Apr 29, 2014
okimar wrote:
<quoted text>Let an old artilleyman translate for you.
Trunnion: That sticky out thing on the side of the cannon.(there are two,opposite each other,roughly near the middle of the barrel) They are used to help "mount" the "tube"(barrel) on the carraige. What apparently happened was that he snapped the trunnion,possibly a weak weld,and had to have it rewelded(mounted).
Oh, that little handle thingy....well why didn't he say so?

“100% Princess”

and totally harmless

#54399 Apr 29, 2014
okimar wrote:
<quoted text>Are you on a low carb diet? Like in pre/early diabetic? If so youi are limited in what you love to eat. Beans,MOST beans arew off the list. I miss my beans. And potatoes. But if it's white it ain't right.. LOL. I substitute beans with lentils for the most part now. Try boiling a ham hock for a couple hours and add the lentils after 2-3 hours and cook another 30-45 minutes. Not too bad really. I'd rather have pintos or Great Northern Whites,even Navy beans but well..... Wifey says they aren't good for me sooooo....
Wifey sounds like she's a genius--you should probably listen to her. <looks innocent>

Stay safe and I'll see you in my dreams--unless you wake me up when you come home. Gonna go watch some NCIS for a while.

XOXO

“100% Princess”

and totally harmless

#54400 Apr 29, 2014
okimar wrote:
<quoted text>Read the above explanation.... I've built a 3/4 scale muzzle loading cannon based on the American Civil War( the war of Northern aggretion)Napolean 12 pounder. The most used piece in that conflict. Capable of firing Canister.exploding timed shells(shrapnel) and solid shot it was a rapidly loaded field piece and highly mobile for it's time.
So why is Billy on Ed's boat and another thing--why is he jumping around? That makes absolutely no sense. But I'm sure you and Ed can explain it. So, like I said, I gotta go watch some Gibbs...

XOXO

“Voters elect Big Bird”

Dump American Eagle

#54401 Apr 29, 2014
Hitesrunprincess wrote:
<quoted text>So why is Billy on Ed's boat and another thing--why is he jumping around? That makes absolutely no sense. But I'm sure you and Ed can explain it. So, like I said, I gotta go watch some Gibbs...
XOXO
I dunno.... Have fun. The storms are moving upriver and it is clearing off to the west. Sunset looks really pretty tonight. C U L8er.
Dale_Harris

Johannesburg, South Africa

#54402 Apr 29, 2014
okimar wrote:
<quoted text>Are you on a low carb diet? Like in pre/early diabetic? If so youi are limited in what you love to eat. Beans,MOST beans arew off the list. I miss my beans. And potatoes. But if it's white it ain't right.. LOL. I substitute beans with lentils for the most part now. Try boiling a ham hock for a couple hours and add the lentils after 2-3 hours and cook another 30-45 minutes. Not too bad really. I'd rather have pintos or Great Northern Whites,even Navy beans but well..... Wifey says they aren't good for me sooooo....
Hey Okimar
I have suffered allergies for about 3 years now. They have eliminated garden plants, So they say it is a food allergy. Also I have Nerve end damage in my feet so they are trying to treat two things at the same time. The allergies are bad and my eyes swell up for days on end and my legs swell which in turn affects the nerve end damage in my feet and they get very painful. So I am giving it a go as I really cannot continue like this. Thanks for the tip with the ham hock and then adding lentils. I will give it try. For the next week they have limited me to Chickpeas, salad with tomato/lettuce and cucumber, Brown rice and mixed vegetables. If all goes well with these foods I get some more added for the next week. But I have a list of definite NOTS and they are white bread, yellow cheese, red meat, cream, anything made with white flour, butter (minimal margarine), alcohol, tea, coffee, milk, sugar, no carbonated cold drinks. Nothing white so rice, potatoes anything like that and no condiments at all. I must drink 6 to 8 Bottles of water per day. Next Monday all being well, I will get a few additional foods added. But I am allowed lentils so I am hoping that they add that next week. I am allowed fresh water fish (no sea food) and all green leafy veg, broccoli, cabbage, The list is never ending. Oh and I can have a piece of chicken without skin once per week.
So it does sound drastic but I will do it to find out what I should be eating.
Are you diabetic Okimar? I have family that are diabetic and take insulin.
Thanks for the tips and all and I shall keep you in the loop of how I get along.
Have a really great day and once again thanks for the tip on the lentils and ham hock.
Dale_Harris

#54403 Apr 29, 2014
Hitesrunprincess wrote:
<quoted text>Wifey sounds like she's a genius--you should probably listen to her. <looks innocent>
Stay safe and I'll see you in my dreams--unless you wake me up when you come home. Gonna go watch some NCIS for a while.
XOXO
I agree with you. Wifey sure does sound like a genius. Knows what is good for her man.
Dale_Harris

#54404 Apr 29, 2014
okimar wrote:
<quoted text>Read the above explanation.... I've built a 3/4 scale muzzle loading cannon based on the American Civil War( the war of Northern aggretion)Napolean 12 pounder. The most used piece in that conflict. Capable of firing Canister.exploding timed shells(shrapnel) and solid shot it was a rapidly loaded field piece and highly mobile for it's time.
Okay .,... this relates to a cannon loader. Okay fine something to do with war.? Please forgive me, do not have much experience with cannons.
Dale_Harris

#54405 Apr 29, 2014
Happy Thursday to you all. Wishing you all a fabulous day.
Sun is shining here, a bit chilly until about 10:30am when it will warm up nicely. Typical Autumn day in SA. These are the best days - not blistering hot and not freezing cold.

“searching myself”

Since: Sep 09

In Charming CA

#54406 Apr 29, 2014
Dale_Harris wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Okimar
I have suffered allergies for about 3 years now. They have eliminated garden plants, So they say it is a food allergy. Also I have Nerve end damage in my feet so they are trying to treat two things at the same time. The allergies are bad and my eyes swell up for days on end and my legs swell which in turn affects the nerve end damage in my feet and they get very painful. So I am giving it a go as I really cannot continue like this. Thanks for the tip with the ham hock and then adding lentils. I will give it try. For the next week they have limited me to Chickpeas, salad with tomato/lettuce and cucumber, Brown rice and mixed vegetables. If all goes well with these foods I get some more added for the next week. But I have a list of definite NOTS and they are white bread, yellow cheese, red meat, cream, anything made with white flour, butter (minimal margarine), alcohol, tea, coffee, milk, sugar, no carbonated cold drinks. Nothing white so rice, potatoes anything like that and no condiments at all. I must drink 6 to 8 Bottles of water per day. Next Monday all being well, I will get a few additional foods added. But I am allowed lentils so I am hoping that they add that next week. I am allowed fresh water fish (no sea food) and all green leafy veg, broccoli, cabbage, The list is never ending. Oh and I can have a piece of chicken without skin once per week.
So it does sound drastic but I will do it to find out what I should be eating.
Are you diabetic Okimar? I have family that are diabetic and take insulin.
Thanks for the tips and all and I shall keep you in the loop of how I get along.
Have a really great day and once again thanks for the tip on the lentils and ham hock.
Please, Dale, don't eat margarine. Ask the doc if you can have a little olive oil in place of the butter - margarine is only one molecule away from being plastic, and it's HORRIBLE for you.

http://wellnessmama.com/2193/why-you-should-n...

There's a chart in this article that shows you how the stuff is made....very eye-opening.
*hugs*

“Faith Love Hope”

Since: Nov 10

South Africa

#54407 Apr 30, 2014
Dale_Harris wrote:
Hey Ruby, I see that horses can cost the same as dogs.
Not all horses are that cheap! If you're looking for a well-bred horse then be prepared to pay anything from R15 000 and up. And then you get a "green" horse - one who was put under saddle not too long ago, and doesn't have a lot of experience with a rider.

Some horses can cost up to R100 000! So yeah, not exactly the same as dogs, lol. I was lucky with Spartan. I got him for R4500 from people in Bela-Bela. He's not purebred, but those are also, as with dogs, sometimes the best kind. Purebred horses not only cost an arm and a leg, but they are much more prone to diseases than the hardy crossbreeds... I'm not sure of Spartan's breeding. He's a Boerperd X. We suspect some Nooitgedacht in there, but there's no surefire way to tell.
Dale_Harris wrote:
My friend bought a Rottweiller who had a pedigree as long as your arm and it cost her R6,000.00. Chelsea was a show dog really very professional. She got some illness that rotties get and her back leg bones snapped and she had to be put down
That's terribly sad!
Dale_Harris wrote:
I only have Hinds 57 Variety dogs as I get mine from the Rescue or SPCA and they are always a cross something or another. Not a specific breed. I find them to be the best dogs to have.
I will take an SPCA dog again any time. My first SPCA dog was a Staffie X. We got her at I think 3 months and only had her till she was just over 1 year old. She had to be rehomed. I remember telling you all that story, so won't go into too much detail, lol
Dale_Harris wrote:
Can't she still come and ride with you and your horsey buddies?
She won't come there for a while - since the horse she was going to buy is stabled there, and she's still a little heartbroken about not being able to buy him. So we won't be seeing her for a while. In the meantime she's riding another horse with one of her school friends.
Dale_Harris wrote:
I started on my "new eating regime" yesterday and all I can say is that it is very boring and not enough food to feed an "ant". Anyway I shall do it for one week and then the Doc will do some or other test and let me know if those food are a yes or no. Quite honestly I personally feel that eating such a little bit of seriously cr*p food is not on, but I promised that I would see the first week out. Apparently if it is going to work, by the end of the first week they will know. I just wonder if I WILL KNOW!!!!!
Anyway cannot complain. I will do the first week and then see........ Not making any promises. But if I can find out what this allergy is then I shall have to continue with the cr*p food. Shite! this is a hard life. I am now going to eat my lunch "A tin of chickpeas". I have never eaten these things before and I have been told that they taste like sawdust, so you imagine how happy with this choice of lunch I am. Anyway Bon Appetit
Shame man, I can only imagine how hard it must be, especially if you were used to eating a big variety of foods and now being limited to only a few. But this too shall pass. Let's hope you get to eat what you want again soon. In the meantime I guess there's not much you can do about it. I wish you all the best of luck!

“Faith Love Hope”

South Africa

#54408 Apr 30, 2014
Good morning everybody

Wishing you all a HAPPY HUMP DAY!
:)

“Faith Love Hope”

South Africa

#54409 Apr 30, 2014
okimar wrote:
<quoted text>Hiya Ruby. Take it from an old horse guy. There are opportune times to buy a horse. Usually late fall(autum) or early winter. People don't want to keep/feed them when they can't use them or they lose interest. THAT is the time to shop around for a pony.(horse) I wish her and you best of luck.
Thanks, I'm sure things will work out in her favour if it's meant to be. But I don't think her parents will buy him for her, so she has to finish school, find a job (and earn her own money) and then buy herself a horse. I actually hope for her part that her parents soften up a bit and buy him for her, and have her pay them back in instalments. That would be great!

She used to lease him from them and then when she fell in love she planned on buying him. I'm so sad that things didn't work out for her. In the meantime she gets her horsey fix by riding with a friend
Dale_Harris

#54410 Apr 30, 2014
shovelhead72 wrote:
<quoted text>Please, Dale, don't eat margarine. Ask the doc if you can have a little olive oil in place of the butter - margarine is only one molecule away from being plastic, and it's HORRIBLE for you.
http://wellnessmama.com/2193/why-you-should-n...
There's a chart in this article that shows you how the stuff is made....very eye-opening.
*hugs*
Hey Shovelhead, I am absolutely "astounded" to read about margarine being so bad for you. I think I will rather go the olive oil route as I know that it is good for you and you can have it on salads and vegetables and proteins without any problems. Thanks so much for bringing my attention to this article. If I cannot have butter and there is no olive oil, then I shall just go without. Both butter and olive oil are quite pricey. The last bottle of olive oil I had cost about R145.00 as opposed to vegetable oil (R14.99) that is a huge difference. So..........
Dale_Harris

#54411 Apr 30, 2014
Ruby88 wrote:
<quoted text>
Shorted for space.
Shame man, I can only imagine how hard it must be, especially if you were used to eating a big variety of foods and now being limited to only a few. But this too shall pass. Let's hope you get to eat what you want again soon. In the meantime I guess there's not much you can do about it. I wish you all the best of luck!
No problem Ruby if I stock to this and it works then my problems with the allergies will be history. It is very debilitating having the allergies. I cannot wait until they let me have fruit as I love that. I don't know when the fruit stage comes along I will be very happy. I love lasagna so only allowed Feta or a little Mozerella, I don't think that the lasagna will be any good. And isn't pasta made from white flour? That is a no-no.
Yes I know that horses cost much more than R6,000.00. That Oscar Pistorius had to sell all his "high pedigree race horses" to pay for his lawyers fees for his murder case. That must of brought him in a tidy sum of money. Not that his fantastic lawyer is getting him out of the sh*t. Last time I looked he was being blamed for taking "acting lessons" as per his lawyers instructions. The mind boggles.
I know horses cost far more than R6000.00. Not like dogs at all but I was trying to do a comparison.
You were lucky to get Sparton for that price as well. It seems you need to know horsey people before you purchase a horse. They put in a good word for you eh!

“Faith Love Hope”

South Africa

#54412 Apr 30, 2014
Dale_Harris wrote:
You were lucky to get Sparton for that price as well. It seems you need to know horsey people before you purchase a horse. They put in a good word for you eh!
Yes, it certainly helps if you have "connections"

I bought Spartan off the internet. Meaning, I saw him advertised on the horse forum I'm on, and I contacted the advertiser and we had a huge discussion via email, and set up a date for me to view him (and try him out). That was on 21 May 2011. And I immediately said I'm taking him so they delivered him to me on the 22nd. There were a few other interested buyers so I was very lucky to have gotten him. And I didn't have the full amount available at the time, so I actually paid him off in monthly instalments. I paid them R2000 on the day they delivered him, and then R1500 for 3 months. They are amazing people for letting me pay him off. I guess things really DO work out if it's meant to be, huh? Lol.

I actually tried buying other horses off the internet too, but the one was sold to someone else before I could view him and try him out, and the other one was in Cullinan. Was quite the drive to get there, but the horse was amazing. The owner got onto her back, no bridle, bareback. And she stood perfectly still. So I'm sure she would've been a great horse too, and I actually had more than enough cash to pay the owner once-off, I think she was advertised for R5000. Quarter horse X Arab, 15hh. But something told me not to take her, so I spent the money on a laptop instead. Stupid at the time maybe, but now I know why I didn't buy her...

“Faith Love Hope”

South Africa

#54413 Apr 30, 2014
^^ Correction, it was 2 months, since I paid the first R1500 on the day of delivery, plus R500 travel costs, lol
Dale_Harris

#54414 Apr 30, 2014
Ruby88 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, it certainly helps if you have "connections"
I bought Spartan off the internet. Meaning, I saw him advertised on the horse forum I'm on, and I contacted the advertiser and we had a huge discussion via email, and set up a date for me to view him (and try him out). That was on 21 May 2011. And I immediately said I'm taking him so they delivered him to me on the 22nd. There were a few other interested buyers so I was very lucky to have gotten him. And I didn't have the full amount available at the time, so I actually paid him off in monthly instalments. I paid them R2000 on the day they delivered him, and then R1500 for 3 months. They are amazing people for letting me pay him off. I guess things really DO work out if it's meant to be, huh? Lol.
I actually tried buying other horses off the internet too, but the one was sold to someone else before I could view him and try him out, and the other one was in Cullinan. Was quite the drive to get there, but the horse was amazing. The owner got onto her back, no bridle, bareback. And she stood perfectly still. So I'm sure she would've been a great horse too, and I actually had more than enough cash to pay the owner once-off, I think she was advertised for R5000. Quarter horse X Arab, 15hh. But something told me not to take her, so I spent the money on a laptop instead. Stupid at the time maybe, but now I know why I didn't buy her...
Hey Ruby, I say Spartan was meant for you because everything just fell into place and it became a reality even though you still have to pay her off. Fantastic people to let you do that. In Jo'burg that would never work. Person takes horse and pays R2000.00 on delivery and agrees to pay R1500.00 per month for three months. You would never ever see that person or the horse again They would ride into the sunset and never pay the balance. Grotty bunch in Jo'burg. No when something like Spartan happens just go with the flow and it worked out great. I am sure that the grooms would have let you know if Spartan was not doing well. I am sure that he is just fine. As soon as you find out please let me know.
Well today I found out about unfairness. I went to get a lettuce, tomato and cucumber salad and walked with Bongani the cleaning-man to the shop. He ordered the exact same salad. I got charged R10.00 and Bongani got charged R5.50 (for exactly the same salad). When we queried it, the cashier says "she's white" (pushing a finger in my face) and "your a black". Bongani got so angry he thumped his salad back on the counter and I did the same and we walked out. Geeze Ruby, Bongani was so upset (and so was I) because it dawned on me that I have been paying the "White price" and not the general going "black price". Will this country ever get it right. I have my doubts. Actually if you think of it, it is pretty bloody stupid because Bongani actually to said to me "I don't need anyone to make a special price for me because I am who I am". He is such a lovely person Ruby but this really upset him. I reckon that some people will never change and always be sh*tty people.

“searching myself”

Since: Sep 09

In Charming CA

#54415 Apr 30, 2014
Dale_Harris wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Shovelhead, I am absolutely "astounded" to read about margarine being so bad for you. I think I will rather go the olive oil route as I know that it is good for you and you can have it on salads and vegetables and proteins without any problems. Thanks so much for bringing my attention to this article. If I cannot have butter and there is no olive oil, then I shall just go without. Both butter and olive oil are quite pricey. The last bottle of olive oil I had cost about R145.00 as opposed to vegetable oil (R14.99) that is a huge difference. So..........
You're so welcome! I've known about margarine for twenty years, since I took a nutrition course in college - one of the most informative classes I ever took, by the way. Since then, I haven't touched the stuff, and won't allow it in the house - hubby converted. We go through at least a pound of butter (REAL butter) every week. But we buy a bottle of olive oil every month or so, too. Priorities.

")

(And yes, it rots that things which are good for us, are often more expensive than junk. We have the exact same problem in the States....I blame the food industry for this chicanery.)

Hope your day is peachy!
Love,
Shove.
Dale_Harris

#54416 Apr 30, 2014
shovelhead72 wrote:
<quoted text>You're so welcome! I've known about margarine for twenty years, since I took a nutrition course in college - one of the most informative classes I ever took, by the way. Since then, I haven't touched the stuff, and won't allow it in the house - hubby converted. We go through at least a pound of butter (REAL butter) every week. But we buy a bottle of olive oil every month or so, too. Priorities.
")
(And yes, it rots that things which are good for us, are often more expensive than junk. We have the exact same problem in the States....I blame the food industry for this chicanery.)
Hope your day is peachy!
Love,
Shove.
Hi Shove
I was thinking of that article during my lunch time whilst making my grocery list. I am going to Pick 'n Pay after work tonight and I am buying butter (real butter) and real olive oil (not vegetable oil). These are my first two items on my list. When I have them I will have to sort out what we shall eat. Yes the food industry is very much into chicanery. Have you ever tried to buy smoked salmon here in SA ? It is a mission and joke all rolled up into one. R135.00 for two very thin slithers of salmon. So it is best that I listen to "what my mother used to tell me" and cook chicken and fish with no skin on and broil it, not fry it. The chickpeas did not go well at all, but if I have to eat like this and there is no other way, I shall just get used to it. I am waiting to try what Okimar told me with lentils. That sounds as if it could be nice. Have to check about the ham first though.
I am very pleased that you told me about the Margarine as they have some very expensive margarines here which are supposed to be very good for your heart, but after reading your article, I have a different view.

“ Impulsive, bone in her teeth”

Since: Mar 08

Location hidden

#54417 Apr 30, 2014
Hitesrunprincess wrote:
<quoted text>Hi Ed, I didn't know you could speak Greek--cause that post was all Greek to me.... Not all really--I did understand the wee tyke part. lol.
Jumpin'Billy is what I call my 1 inch cannon.Melbourne is south of here about 25 miles.
Maynard is that British chap who chases me all about, trying to end me career as an entrepeneur.
Oh yes, 2 oz. of 3 F is being the powder we use here darlin'.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 8 min Stilgar Fifrawi 743,929
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 11 min Oxbow 545,099
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 13 min waaasssuuup 601,430
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 14 min Lyndi 174,203
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 18 min Tim Osman 118,294
Is it time for Muslim Internment Camps? 21 min Kid_Tomorrow 14
How to tell when a Topix poster doesn't have a ... 25 min Doctor REALITY 25
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 1 hr Pegasus 260,199

Top Stories People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE