ye olde village pub

“Incorrupta fides, nudaque veri”

Since: May 07

Vincit qui se vincit

#54324 Apr 23, 2014
Ed Teach wrote:
<quoted text>
Navy/Marine pilots. What can you say? Best damn ones there are.
Yes they are! That was incredible video footage!

“searching myself”

Since: Sep 09

In Charming CA

#54325 Apr 23, 2014
okimar wrote:
<quoted text>The million dollar figure being tossed around as what Bundy owes has been found to be a gross exageration. The real number is closer to $300,000 which includes legal fees and court costs from over the past 2 decades. Now for some more recently immerging facts. Bundy is the LAST cattle rancher left in his immediate area. The rest have been forced out by BLM over the last 20-30 years thru the increasing cost of those grazing fees. Also the BLM was limiting where and how much graze land the ranchers could utilize. These factors combined with the hostility towards ranchers by buearacrats who had designs on their acreage caused many to sell out. This is much more about the land than a few cows on what property and how much a rancher pays for grass. Its about an expanded Federal Government and the dangerous growth in its power to regulate/fine/incarcerate on the whim of some minor Buearacrats. Tell me,why does the Dept of Education need an ARMED section? Dept of Agriculture? NOAA? FDA? There are gun toting Buearacrats in these and other relatively peaceful sectors of Government services. This is a potentially deadly trend in an over reaching government bent on consolidating its expanded role in American's everday lives.
This has become much much more than a dispute about a few cows doing a dine-n-dash on public lands.......... And people are watching.
Were they 'watching' when it was pointed out to the government 140 years ago, that the land wouldn't support a population the size said government was poised to encourage? Were they watching, when it was decided that a desert would be a good place to raise cattle at all? Were they watching when Los Angeles decided Lake Havasu was capable of supporting the potable water needs of the population in 4 States?

They should have been. It's a bit late now.

“Voters elect Big Bird”

Since: Jan 07

Dump American Eagle

#54326 Apr 23, 2014
shovelhead72 wrote:
<quoted text>Were they 'watching' when it was pointed out to the government 140 years ago, that the land wouldn't support a population the size said government was poised to encourage? Were they watching, when it was decided that a desert would be a good place to raise cattle at all? Were they watching when Los Angeles decided Lake Havasu was capable of supporting the potable water needs of the population in 4 States?
They should have been. It's a bit late now.
Buearacrats are notorious for being shortsighted. Their main concerns are the next election cycle,job security,and justifying their own existence. To accomplish these ends the create solutions that need problems and dream up inane regs for the various fields they serve(?).

Cattle have survives the desert west ever since the Spanish lost a few head and they bred like jackrabbits in west Texas. Our western "desert" isn't as barren as say the Gobi or the Sahara but it DOES take a lot of graze there to sustain a single cow but the lands are vast and around water sources the grass can be quite plentiful.

Southern California has practically confiscated the watershed of the Sierras and the Colorado river basin to keep L.A. and other large cities wet. A smarter move for the coastal cities would be to build desalination plants to supply a sizeable portion of their water.

“Voters elect Big Bird”

Since: Jan 07

Dump American Eagle

#54327 Apr 23, 2014
Dale_Harris wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Okimar
What type of work do you do that you work nights? They say that you get used to sleeping during the day but I don't know about that .......... Dogs barking, lawnmowers revving up and down the grass and kids shouting. No cannot be done.
I hope you get some sleep when you get off work and that there are no frigging deer hitch hiking (that is funny). Have a good sleep Okimar.
I work security. The site I cover has been closed for several years but the owners worry about vandalism/theft of materials.

“searching myself”

Since: Sep 09

In Charming CA

#54328 Apr 23, 2014
okimar wrote:
<quoted text>Buearacrats are notorious for being shortsighted. Their main concerns are the next election cycle,job security,and justifying their own existence. To accomplish these ends the create solutions that need problems and dream up inane regs for the various fields they serve(?).
Cattle have survives the desert west ever since the Spanish lost a few head and they bred like jackrabbits in west Texas. Our western "desert" isn't as barren as say the Gobi or the Sahara but it DOES take a lot of graze there to sustain a single cow but the lands are vast and around water sources the grass can be quite plentiful.
Southern California has practically confiscated the watershed of the Sierras and the Colorado river basin to keep L.A. and other large cities wet. A smarter move for the coastal cities would be to build desalination plants to supply a sizeable portion of their water.
Sure, cattle survived sans people in the desert West....but were they beeves? Heck no! They were just...cattle. Given their own evolutionary process, without interference from 'ranchers', they would have thinned themselves out to where they weren't eating ALL the available grass in any one area...and they'd be a helluba lot less destructive to the land itself.

And we're preaching to eachother's choir on the California / Sierras water problems...they'll only get worse, if people keep heavily populating areas not fit for man nor beast....at least not for such profusion.

Thanks for the chat, Oki. You're pretty pleasant to converse with... ")

“Faith Love Hope”

Since: Nov 10

South Africa

#54329 Apr 23, 2014
Good morning friendlies

Damn that guy at work I told you all about is so bombastic. You can hear him a mile away. It's annoying, especially since our office building is so quiet. And the way he speaks to some people...terrible.

Oh well, that's his problem, I'm not going to make it mine. It does affect me indirectly but I'm nice to the people so they won't turn against ME

Anyway, I'm looking forward to next week. Monday and Thursday are public holidays and I'm planning on taking the other three days off. That's if my boss says it's ok - I haven't asked him yet.

8852 - Pair of 8's - Fold like a paper airplane
Dale_Harris

Johannesburg, South Africa

#54330 Apr 23, 2014
okimar wrote:
<quoted text>I work security. The site I cover has been closed for several years but the owners worry about vandalism/theft of materials.
Oh okay. It is in a town or out in the country?
Here if you leave a place unattended without security, our lot walk away with the whole bang shoot. Sounds like we have similar problems as you have.
Dale_Harris

#54331 Apr 23, 2014
Hey Ruby

Have you heard how Spartan is getting along? Been thinking a lot about him.
Dale_Harris

#54332 Apr 23, 2014
Morning Everyone

Here the sun is shining after the rain yesterday. Not too warm but bearable. Have a good one all.
Dale_Harris

#54333 Apr 24, 2014
Ruby88 wrote:
Good morning friendlies
Damn that guy at work I told you all about is so bombastic. You can hear him a mile away. It's annoying, especially since our office building is so quiet. And the way he speaks to some people...terrible.
Oh well, that's his problem, I'm not going to make it mine. It does affect me indirectly but I'm nice to the people so they won't turn against ME
Anyway, I'm looking forward to next week. Monday and Thursday are public holidays and I'm planning on taking the other three days off. That's if my boss says it's ok - I haven't asked him yet.
8852 - Pair of 8's - Fold like a paper airplane
Hey Ruby
Is that cretin still giving you a hard time? Why doesn't someone say something to him about being such a pillick. Is he someone important? Does he have any clout in the firm?
Ruby do we get Monday because Sunday is a public holiday? I did not realize that...... wow I should have put in for leave, but bossman is now overseas so I missed my chance. Darn it man! I hope you get your leave granted that will be a nice break.
Have you found out how Spartan is doing? Any improvement at all?
My female puppy loves Biltong but we have run out and she has to wait until payday. She is mega upset and keeps going to the cupboard to make sure it is not there. Bless her heart. Only has to wait until Saturday.
Have a good day Ruby.

“Faith Love Hope”

South Africa

#54334 Apr 24, 2014
Dale_Harris

#54335 Apr 24, 2014
Ruby88 wrote:
Some of these are really funny!!! Thanks enjoyed them

“Faith Love Hope”

South Africa

#54336 Apr 24, 2014
Dale_Harris wrote:
Hey Ruby
Have you heard how Spartan is getting along? Been thinking a lot about him.
I texted the yard owner. Will let you know as soon as I heard back from her. Thanks for showing interest in his wellbeing :)
Dale_Harris wrote:
Is that cretin still giving you a hard time? Why doesn't someone say something to him about being such a pillick. Is he someone important? Does he have any clout in the firm?
He hasn't done anything to me but he's just so overbearing sometimes. Very loud. Fortunately he has a work braai somewhere so he won't be here for a while, that's IF he's coming back afterwards. Or else I'll only have to face him again tomorrow, lol.
Dale_Harris wrote:
Ruby do we get Monday because Sunday is a public holiday? I did not realize that...... wow I should have put in for leave, but bossman is now overseas so I missed my chance. Darn it man! I hope you get your leave granted that will be a nice break.
Yes, we get Monday off because of Sunday being a public holiday. It's awesome.

Oops, I haven't asked my boss yet and he's just about to go somewhere far. If he doesn't come back then I'll have to ask him tomorrow. Hate leaving things to the last minute but I blew my chance now *facepalm*
Dale_Harris wrote:
My female puppy loves Biltong but we have run out and she has to wait until payday. She is mega upset and keeps going to the cupboard to make sure it is not there. Bless her heart. Only has to wait until Saturday.
Have a good day Ruby.
Shame on you! How can you NOT have any biltong for her? Tsk tsk. Lol. Our cat and dog are just as spoilt. The cat gets half a sachet of wet food (even though she always has dry food in her bowl) and the dog gets a doggy biscuit (or two). She has to sit and we put it on her nose and she has to catch it. She only gets it right sometimes. Then for the other one she has to roll over. She always "backchats" when I ask her to roll, lol

Oh, and don't forget about the parrot. She gets a small piece of fruit daily, and on Saturdays she gets sunflower seeds (we feed her parrot pellets daily)
Dale_Harris

#54337 Apr 24, 2014
Ruby88 wrote:
<quoted text>
I texted the yard owner. Will let you know as soon as I heard back from her. Thanks for showing interest in his wellbeing :)
<quoted text>
He hasn't done anything to me but he's just so overbearing sometimes. Very loud. Fortunately he has a work braai somewhere so he won't be here for a while, that's IF he's coming back afterwards. Or else I'll only have to face him again tomorrow, lol.
<quoted text>
Yes, we get Monday off because of Sunday being a public holiday. It's awesome.
Oops, I haven't asked my boss yet and he's just about to go somewhere far. If he doesn't come back then I'll have to ask him tomorrow. Hate leaving things to the last minute but I blew my chance now *facepalm*
<quoted text>
Shame on you! How can you NOT have any biltong for her? Tsk tsk. Lol. Our cat and dog are just as spoilt. The cat gets half a sachet of wet food (even though she always has dry food in her bowl) and the dog gets a doggy biscuit (or two). She has to sit and we put it on her nose and she has to catch it. She only gets it right sometimes. Then for the other one she has to roll over. She always "backchats" when I ask her to roll, lol
Oh, and don't forget about the parrot. She gets a small piece of fruit daily, and on Saturdays she gets sunflower seeds (we feed her parrot pellets daily)
Hey Ruby, your house sounds like mine with all the animals. My little puppy walks on her back legs (like a little person) so that she can get Biltong. She taught herself, God alone knows why, but she does. The male tries to say Hello when someone comes to the door. He kind of yelps it out. The first time he did it I said to my son, "Stone the bloody crows, he sounds like he is saying hello. He is a clever little dog but got the nature like a "prickly pear" sometimes due to pain in his leg from the op.
Your dog sounds clever with the tricks for treats.
Does your parrot talk a lot? Our Vet has one and it chats away in the waiting room non-stop. It also swears.

“Faith Love Hope”

South Africa

#54338 Apr 24, 2014
I am sure the animals do talk. We don't ALWAYS understand what they're saying but their body language usually gives it away. Yes, our parrot talks non-stop. Unfortunately (thanks to my dad who gets frustrated easily) she also swears. We just ignore her when she swears, in the hopes that she will stop the behaviour on her own. But once they've learned a word or phrase, they can't unlearn it again, and they will say it again eventually. So my mom's pretty mad at my dad but there's not much we can do about it now, lol
Dale_Harris

#54340 Apr 24, 2014
Ruby88 wrote:
I am sure the animals do talk. We don't ALWAYS understand what they're saying but their body language usually gives it away. Yes, our parrot talks non-stop. Unfortunately (thanks to my dad who gets frustrated easily) she also swears. We just ignore her when she swears, in the hopes that she will stop the behaviour on her own. But once they've learned a word or phrase, they can't unlearn it again, and they will say it again eventually. So my mom's pretty mad at my dad but there's not much we can do about it now, lol
Yes I know that is true. When parrots get a phrase they just do not let it go. The one at the Vet just sits and looks at you until a dog barks,(which is pretty often in the Vet's waiting room) then he comes out with "Just f---- off." and he goes on and on until the head Vet comes and tells him to "stil bly" Then he speaks Afrikaans "Kry jou seer hondjie". Just so clever they are.
Have you not heard from the grooms at the yard yet about Spartan? They must be busy hey!
I am so glad that you told me that Monday is a public holiday otherwise I would have pitched up at the office like a big pillick. Talk about being dozy!
It is lunch time and if I eat another tin of fish with salad I think I will go around the bend. I have one tin for tomorrow and then PAY DAY. Anything but tinned fish thanks. I think the kids are also sick of pasta or burgers. But I had to pay that bloody e-toll account so ........

“Incorrupta fides, nudaque veri”

Since: May 07

Vincit qui se vincit

#54341 Apr 24, 2014

“ Impulsive, bone in her teeth”

Since: Mar 08

Location hidden

#54342 Apr 24, 2014
okimar wrote:
<quoted text>Buearacrats are notorious for being shortsighted. Their main concerns are the next election cycle,job security,and justifying their own existence. To accomplish these ends the create solutions that need problems and dream up inane regs for the various fields they serve(?).
You two do realize that today's desert is nothing like is was 400 years ago.
climate and non-native specie changed all that. Buffalo used to graze there. Cattle, sheep and those pretty wild ponies drove or starved everything else out. Desert sheep being the most noticeable. Almost non existent now.
But .. there is one spot in Montana, about one square mile of park, that has been preserved.
Let's go native folks!
Remember the California plan to drain the Great lakes for their use? Talk about selfish greed.

“Faith Love Hope”

South Africa

#54343 Apr 24, 2014
Oops, posted two similar ones... Will see if I can find something else...

Here we go:

http://www.neowin.net/images/uploaded/shutter...
Harrison Freebird

New Bern, NC

#54345 Apr 24, 2014

**********SPECIAL NOTICE**********

For all you card holding lifetime HF fan club members please note monthly dues are to arrive to my PO box nlt the 5th of each month.

Thanks in advance

HF pres.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 3 min Pegasus 272,444
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 4 min Turkey 865,933
The Christian Atheist debate 11 min spocko 2,087
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 13 min curtjester1 40,905
Renzenberger : STEALING MILLIONS from their dri... 21 min s_cross_pavoniayard 13
Christianity is fading away... 31 min Truthiness 14
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 35 min USA Born 600,182
Sleeping with mother (Oct '13) 5 hr Malcolm 46
More from around the web