ye olde village pub

“Faith Love Hope”

Since: Nov 10

South Africa

#54017 Apr 9, 2014
Dale_Harris wrote:
<quoted text>
Morning Ruby
It worked. All the homework was done only had to sign in the book that I had seen it. I don't expect it will last forever but we shall see.........
I was in a rebel mood last night so fed everyone (and the dogs) and sat down and ate Avo on Toast for dinner at 9:00pm. Can you believe LOL Anyways it was delicious.
That's good. Hopefully it lasts. Dinner at 9? Wow, that's hectic! Sounds like it was delicious
Dale_Harris wrote:
I have been meaning to ask you, what type of work do you do Ruby? I like the hours that you work. So convenient for traffic etc you must get home before the peak traffic starts!
Well have a great day and enjoy! Speak later
I am an administrative officer (clerk) at the local municipality. Yes, I miss the traffic in the mornings and I get home at around 4pm, so also miss the traffic then. I go crazy if there's even just a little bit of traffic. I'm not used to being stuck in traffic, lol. And it's like the people become extra stupid in the traffic. Cutting in, turning into the wrong lane (and out of the wrong lane too), driving over red lights, etc. Scary, actually.
Dale_Harris

Johannesburg, South Africa

#54018 Apr 10, 2014
Ruby88 wrote:
<quoted text>
That's good. Hopefully it lasts. Dinner at 9? Wow, that's hectic! Sounds like it was delicious
<quoted text>
I am an administrative officer (clerk) at the local municipality. Yes, I miss the traffic in the mornings and I get home at around 4pm, so also miss the traffic then. I go crazy if there's even just a little bit of traffic. I'm not used to being stuck in traffic, lol. And it's like the people become extra stupid in the traffic. Cutting in, turning into the wrong lane (and out of the wrong lane too), driving over red lights, etc. Scary, actually.
Hi Ruby

Yes you are right. I leave home early 1) to miss the traffic and 2) my car is quite old and does not like traffic so I leave early and get to work without being stressed out. I get most of my urgent things out of the way by the time my boss arrives and I can dedicate myself to him for what he needs to have done that day.

I used to do administrative officer work as a matter of fact. I quite enjoyed the variation, not just sitting on my duff and typing all day. Now I do everything. I have a few hats that I wear. Administrative, secretarial, accounts, salaries and wages, you name it and I do it and I enjoy it very much.

Do you have many taxis where you have to drive to each day? We have a lot here in Jo'burg and they drive me crazy. They drive recklessly.
Dale_Harris

#54019 Apr 10, 2014
okimar wrote:
<quoted text>Russia has one.... Maybe we can borrow him for a while. Obviously the guy we got ain't worth pizzing on if he was on fire. This is what happens when we "elect" a person who spent his formative years living OUTSIDE the US. No real ties grounded in American culture.
You have a way with words Okimar. "Maybe we can borrow him for a while". Classic. I really loved that one. You should right a book or something
"The guy you got now" I thought everyone liked him??!!??!!

“Faith Love Hope”

South Africa

#54020 Apr 10, 2014
Dale_Harris wrote:
Do you have many taxis where you have to drive to each day? We have a lot here in Jo'burg and they drive me crazy. They drive recklessly.
Not too many, but I do get some. Buses too. I've grown to hate all Putco buses. They just can't drive. They're always crawling, and if not crawling, they speed like maniacs. But Putco buses specifically. I don't know where those drivers get their training from but they all drive the same. I hate having to drive behind one.

I also get a lot of trucks. Also, most of them crawl and I'm usually stuck behind them for a good while because of traffic in the other lane, so needless to say, I get quite frustrated

My car takes a long time to get up to speed, and loses speed easily, so whenever I'm stuck behind a slow-moving vehicle, I get upset because I know I'll have to gear back if I want to go past them... But I manage somehow.

“Faith Love Hope”

South Africa

#54021 Apr 10, 2014
Oh, and don't even get me started on the people who drive on my tail and some who even dare flash their headlights at me. Drives me insane. What I usually do is step on the brake. Most of the time they nearly crash into the back of my car, that's how close they're driving to me! So yeah, I also have a bit of frustration and irritations when I drive. Guess you can't always have it good hey. Lol
Dale_Harris

#54022 Apr 10, 2014
Ruby88 wrote:
Oh, and don't even get me started on the people who drive on my tail and some who even dare flash their headlights at me. Drives me insane. What I usually do is step on the brake. Most of the time they nearly crash into the back of my car, that's how close they're driving to me! So yeah, I also have a bit of frustration and irritations when I drive. Guess you can't always have it good hey. Lol
Boy oh boy Ruby. You sound just like me. The taxis are the worst. They just stop when they feel like it and you have to put on the brakes hard. Also they just pull out from the side and do not even look for traffic that may be coming. I hate busses because of the same reason that you do. I creep along behind them because I cannot overtake as there is oncoming traffic.

Do you work in Centurion or Pretoria? I work close to downtown Jo'burg in one of the suburbs.

“Faith Love Hope”

South Africa

#54023 Apr 10, 2014
Dale_Harris wrote:
<quoted text>
Boy oh boy Ruby. You sound just like me. The taxis are the worst. They just stop when they feel like it and you have to put on the brakes hard. Also they just pull out from the side and do not even look for traffic that may be coming. I hate busses because of the same reason that you do. I creep along behind them because I cannot overtake as there is oncoming traffic.
Yes, I hate when they simply pull out from the side and not even look for oncoming traffic. I usually anticipate it and if there's two lanes, I'll go into the other lane. That way I don't have to slam the brakes or slow down drastically to give them space. If there's only one lane though I just watch them carefully and if they want to cut in in front of me, I honk the horn at them. That USUALLY makes them go back to the side of the road and makes them wait for an opening. But then you get these assholes who simply keep on driving, and just show all sorts of signs. Or they hang their arm out the window to signal that they're going to get onto the road/into your lane. I hate it. Fortunately I don't have to drive throught the CBD. THAT would make me commit murder for sure
Dale_Harris wrote:
Do you work in Centurion or Pretoria? I work close to downtown Jo'burg in one of the suburbs.
I stay in Centurion and work in Pretoria. It's roughly 25kms from home to work. So I drive a good 50km a day, just travelling to and from work. But I'm used to it by now.
Dale_Harris

#54024 Apr 10, 2014
Ruby88 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, I hate when they simply pull out from the side and not even look for oncoming traffic. I usually anticipate it and if there's two lanes, I'll go into the other lane. That way I don't have to slam the brakes or slow down drastically to give them space. If there's only one lane though I just watch them carefully and if they want to cut in in front of me, I honk the horn at them. That USUALLY makes them go back to the side of the road and makes them wait for an opening. But then you get these assholes who simply keep on driving, and just show all sorts of signs. Or they hang their arm out the window to signal that they're going to get onto the road/into your lane. I hate it. Fortunately I don't have to drive throught the CBD. THAT would make me commit murder for sure
<quoted text>
I stay in Centurion and work in Pretoria. It's roughly 25kms from home to work. So I drive a good 50km a day, just travelling to and from work. But I'm used to it by now.
Centurion to Pretoria is not that far hey! I travel about 35 kilometres to work and then again at night after work. The problem is that I pick up all the northern suburbs of Jo'burgs traffic as well as Krugersdorps and beyond. I will not travel on the highway because of e-Toll They can kiss my azz if they think I am going to pay them for driving on the highway. No ways. I pickle my way through the back roads and I reckon it is quicker than on the highway where they sit bumper to bumper. My blood pressure rises very rapidly when I sit in traffic I get very pis-ed off watching my petrol gauge going down to zero and my car is not moving. You know the feeling hey!

Do you have DSTV Ruby? I got the "el cheapo" bouquet and it gets TLC and I watch Long Island Medium. She is very good and I enjoy it so much. I wish I could meet someone like that who would give me messages from "the other side". Let me know if you watch it and if not, you need to watch just 2 episodes and you will be hooked.

“ Impulsive, bone in her teeth”

Since: Mar 08

Location hidden

#54025 Apr 10, 2014
Dale_Harris wrote:
<quoted text>
You have a way with words Okimar. "Maybe we can borrow him for a while". Classic. I really loved that one. You should right a book or something
Our prez, any prez, is mearly a figure head. He/they can do little if anything.
The machine does all the work, assisted by attorneys whose purpose is to make the simplest into the most difficult.
In this country if you want something done, pay-offs or bribes are mandatory.

1672, now that was a good year! Nassau was wide open as well as Jamaica. Good cruising all about, plenty of Frenchies too.
Dale_Harris

#54026 Apr 10, 2014
Ed Teach wrote:
<quoted text>
Our prez, any prez, is mearly a figure head. He/they can do little if anything.
The machine does all the work, assisted by attorneys whose purpose is to make the simplest into the most difficult.
In this country if you want something done, pay-offs or bribes are mandatory.
1672, now that was a good year! Nassau was wide open as well as Jamaica. Good cruising all about, plenty of Frenchies too.
Hey Ed too true what you say "merely a figure head". Our one is another story. He has a home costing R268 million (wherever you are from that is a load of money). No one has a home that costs that for Petesake =$274,432,000,000.00.

“searching myself”

Since: Sep 09

In Charming CA

#54027 Apr 10, 2014
Ed Teach wrote:
<quoted text>
"Somebody like ..." I only mention the one year. From 1929 and up to 1937, mostly good was done in Germany. Thank them for the interstate highway system (And Ike too, he liked what he saw there) Volkswagen., or people wagon in English, space exploration.
To bring a nation together for a common cause. NOT religious fanaticism or war. The J O's we have now did enough damage to our image in the world.
Eisenhower warned the people about the growth of the industrial military machine as he left office. We see how right he was. Corporate government little different from Stalin.
No education in our schools, personal greed, the 'me' generation.
I wonder if my grand kids will see a green earth, breathe clean air or drink anything but bottled water.
Apparently, I misunderstood your assertion. If not Herr Hitler, to whom were you referring?

I like Ike....but he wasn't a leader in Germany in '33....*wink*

Agree it would be nice to see a united United States again - but as you say, NOT for the purpose of war, or as a result of religious fanaticism.

Sorry to flaunt my ignorance, but who, or what, is a 'J O'?
Dale_Harris

#54028 Apr 10, 2014
shovelhead72 wrote:
<quoted text>Apparently, I misunderstood your assertion. If not Herr Hitler, to whom were you referring?
I like Ike....but he wasn't a leader in Germany in '33....*wink*
Agree it would be nice to see a united United States again - but as you say, NOT for the purpose of war, or as a result of religious fanaticism.
Sorry to flaunt my ignorance, but who, or what, is a 'J O'?
I was just going to ask the same question - who, or what, is a 'J O'? Sorry for being as thick as a plank.

“searching myself”

In Charming CA

#54029 Apr 10, 2014
Dale_Harris wrote:
<quoted text>
Not even close.

Most of the folks who ELECTED him don't even like him any more. He's proven himself a liar, incompetent, a clone of his predecessor policy-wise, inept at foreign policy, without a shred of character, and terribly p-w.

(I'll let Oki explain 'p-w')

It's a blessing he's a lame-duck this time around. We're all hoping for a better one in 2016.

I'm leaning heavily toward the Independent party's candidate for Prez, and hope we vote out as many incumbents as possible in the mid-terms.

“searching myself”

In Charming CA

#54030 Apr 10, 2014
And just for the record, our Okimar is NOT 'p-w'.........but I'm betting he knows it when he sees it.

*grin*
Dale_Harris

#54031 Apr 10, 2014
shovelhead72 wrote:
<quoted text>
Not even close.
Most of the folks who ELECTED him don't even like him any more. He's proven himself a liar, incompetent, a clone of his predecessor policy-wise, inept at foreign policy, without a shred of character, and terribly p-w.
(I'll let Oki explain 'p-w')
It's a blessing he's a lame-duck this time around. We're all hoping for a better one in 2016.
I'm leaning heavily toward the Independent party's candidate for Prez, and hope we vote out as many incumbents as possible in the mid-terms.
Okay, I get the picture. I will wait to hear the explanation of "p-w". I am now intrigued!!!!
We go to the polls in May and I do not think the Democratic Alliance will get in. It would be great if they did get in, but .......... the ANC always floors everyone else. Pity about that because we may end up with our same president for another 5 years. God help us all!!!!!

“searching myself”

In Charming CA

#54032 Apr 10, 2014
Dale_Harris wrote:
<quoted text>Okay, I get the picture. I will wait to hear the explanation of "p-w". I am now intrigued!!!!
We go to the polls in May and I do not think the Democratic Alliance will get in. It would be great if they did get in, but .......... the ANC always floors everyone else. Pity about that because we may end up with our same president for another 5 years. God help us all!!!!!
Well, we've pretty much had the same one for the last 16 years....the faces may have changed, but the results? Not so much.
Dale_Harris

#54033 Apr 10, 2014
shovelhead72 wrote:
<quoted text>Well, we've pretty much had the same one for the last 16 years....the faces may have changed, but the results? Not so much.
What you say, "the faces may have changed, but the results? Not so much" is pretty funny.
Dale_Harris

#54034 Apr 10, 2014
Hey Ruby, have a great evening and we can talk again tomorrow

“TEXAS ... SECEDE”

Since: Feb 08

REPUBLIC OF TEXAS

#54035 Apr 10, 2014
Good morning friends ... Wishing the best of day to you ... Enjoy it ... FC <3 ...

“searching myself”

In Charming CA

#54036 Apr 10, 2014
Dale_Harris wrote:
<quoted text>
What you say, "the faces may have changed, but the results? Not so much" is pretty funny.
Glad you can see humor in that....I find it very sad.

Had we been paying attention, and making good choices, we wouldn't be in this mess. But it's unlikely at this point, what with the expansion of Executive Power, and other things, that any President in future will decline to avail him/herself of all of it. Whomever it is, will likely want even more.

Our Constitution gives us such promise as a nation, but we're generally a lazy lot, and we more or less refuse to exercise or further it. Unfortunately, the large majority of Americans take our liberties for granted, and shirk our civic responsibilities. We groan about how much we pay in taxes, we don't register, much less vote, we avoid jury duty whenever possible, we value profit over conservation, we're horrible polluters, and we're far more interested in the frolicking of the famous than with what our purported Leaders are getting up to.

And these days, when our employers have the 'right' to run our lives, we're also cowards. Because we're afraid we'll lose our jobs, we stay at home in our 'free time' and bitch, rather than marching en masse as long as it takes, to demand our Congress and Chief Executive be held to the same standards that we ourselves are, and that they represent US rather than their lobbyist buddies.

We're the only ones with the incentive to make that happen - it won't, unless we fight for it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 7 min Steve III 641,942
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 9 min The Hangman 970,118
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 15 min Steve III 44,466
hi guys mera lund bahut mota hai meri gf gaand... (Apr '12) 24 min zak 44
Israel End is Near (Feb '15) 26 min Steve III 303
Play "end of the word" part 2 39 min Al Capone 1,742
sex 47 min zak 1
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 1 hr Rosa_Winkel 38,724
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 1 hr WasteWater 104,770
More from around the web