ye olde village pub
Dale_Harris

Benoni, South Africa

#53850 Mar 27, 2014
Ruby88 wrote:
<quoted text>
Hope this link works, but here are a few pictures of him. The first four are the most recent:
http://s1129.photobucket.com/user/OriginalRub...
I forgot that I set the album as private, so had to change that first. I'll change it back to private a little later. One can't be too careful nowadays...lol
He's a Boerperd cross ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boer_pony ) and stands about 14.3hh (hands high)- That is 59in / 4.91'/ 149.86cm / 1.49m. Measured from hoof to withers (the bony "bump" where the horse's mane ends on its back) http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons...
Hey Ruby
Not half bad hey! He is a "very good looking horse". I do not suppose this is "very good English to describe how a horse looks" but I mean well. Very nice and good looking.
You are lucky:)
Dale_Harris

Benoni, South Africa

#53851 Mar 27, 2014
Ruby88 wrote:
<quoted text>
So far the day isn't too bad. Got some thunder going on now, probably going to rain. No, most definitely going to rain. Expecting it to start any minute now.
I saw my horse this past Sunday. He looks good. He's just really turning grey, he's not a young horse anymore. Not really old either, he's around 18. He looks much older though, haha. He's bay (brown with black mane and tail) with this grey face and his front legs also have some grey hairs... Lol
Hey Ruby sorry to sound so stupid but when you say he is around 18 - does that mean in horse years or "people years"? I know that dogs and cats are different with their year counting. I think dogs have 7 years to our 1 year. It is the same for horses? It cannot be I just did the maths and that would make him 126 years old. Can't be, for sure?

“Faith Love Hope”

Since: Nov 10

South Africa

#53852 Mar 27, 2014
Dale_Harris wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Ruby
Not half bad hey! He is a "very good looking horse". I do not suppose this is "very good English to describe how a horse looks" but I mean well. Very nice and good looking.
You are lucky:)
The way you described him is perfect. Nothing wrong with it. Thank you so much! The biggest compliment you can give a horsey person is to compliment their horse. Lol
Dale_Harris wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Ruby sorry to sound so stupid but when you say he is around 18 - does that mean in horse years or "people years"? I know that dogs and cats are different with their year counting. I think dogs have 7 years to our 1 year. It is the same for horses? It cannot be I just did the maths and that would make him 126 years old. Can't be, for sure?
It's 18 in human years. I think horses' age works the same as humans, but I'm really not sure. A 10 year old horse is considered to be in his prime. At that age, they're under saddle long enough (tame to ride) to have gotten rid of all bad behaviours such as bucking.

Speaking of bucking... My horse bucked with me once. It was scary as hell. But I managed to stay on and he stopped. He bucked because another rider came galloping past us and he wanted to go too, but I held him back. He hasn't done that again since, so I think he was testing me.

“Colorful Beyond Words ”

Since: May 11

" Live, Laugh, Love "

#53853 Mar 27, 2014
Ruby88 wrote:
<quoted text>Hope this link works, but here are a few pictures of him. The first four are the most recent:

http://s1129.photobucket.com/user/OriginalRub...

I forgot that I set the album as private, so had to change that first. I'll change it back to private a little later. One can't be too careful nowadays...lol

He's a Boerperd cross ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boer_pony ) and stands about 14.3hh (hands high)- That is 59in / 4.91'/ 149.86cm / 1.49m. Measured from hoof to withers (the bony "bump" where the horse's mane ends on its back) http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons...
Wow Ruby !! You make me pine for my younger years And my horses when I was growing up ! Quite sad I never taught my kids to ride .
Ha Ha Dix

Lakeville, MN

#53854 Mar 27, 2014
Ruby88 wrote:
Good morning friendlies
HAPPY HUMP DAY!
My car's going back to the mechanics this afternoon. The oil has to be changed and of course all the little things need to be fixed. Hopefully my car will be as good as new when it returns! Fingers crossed
If its a Ford you should be alright.

“Hello Trump”

Since: Jan 07

Goodby Hillary

#53855 Mar 27, 2014
Ruby88 wrote:
Good morning friendlies
My car went in for it's follow-up service yesterday afternoon. Hopefully when I get it back it'll be fixed completely. In the meantime I'm using my dad's "bakkie" (pronounced bucky - meaning pick-up).
Hope you will all have a wonderful Thursday. The weekend is in sight! Lol
We're having a braai (bbq) with the family on Saturday to say goodbye to my cousin. He visited for a month from the Northern Cape, he stayed with us while he attended a training course. He's in the army. He'll be going back home on Sunday morning just as the sun rises...
Howdy from here Ruby.(Hint... Keep your Dad's pick-up truck. All the real cowgirls/redneckgirls drive them. Its a sign/mark that they don't muck about.*ain't fooling---they're real.) Enjoy the Bar-B-Q. I envision Smoked beef brisket or steaks (or 1/2 a hog.......)and grilled peppers/onions. I'm drooling..... LOL Again,enjoy the feast and family get together.
Dale_Harris

Johannesburg, South Africa

#53856 Mar 28, 2014
Morning Everyone
Horses and braai (BBQ's)????? Do they go together? I have no idea.
I only got on a horse once, and was promptly thrown off and landed on my backside in the mud. That is the full experience that I have of horse riding. I like to look at them but there it stops.
Ruby you have a great looking horse that you enjoy and obviously have your license to drive a horse, so go for it. I will just sit back and watch with my two little babies. One black and one white. Because of where we live we are only allowed small pets, so I have two smallish dogs. a Scotty and a Maltese. They get along well together so .........
I have house work, washing, ironing and cleaning planned for this weekend. My life is just so exciting hey! Well the next weekend I get let off as I have a lady that comes every second week to help out so it is her turn. JOY Yippee!
Family members getting hair cuts Saturday morning and paying bills. Oh what an exciting life I lead. Next weekend is my birthday so I get taken out for a meal so that is something to look forward to.
EVERYBODY have a great day and enjoy. Weekend up ahead so we just have to get through Friday. Yay!
Enjoy the braai (BBQ).
Dale_Harris

#53857 Mar 28, 2014
Ed Teach wrote:
<quoted text>
Some wind surfer got snagged by a shark when he lost his board.
Have you ever used a kite to run bait behind the boat?
Works quite well.
Hey Ed, do you mean that a wind surfer got eaten up by a shark or just a bit bitten? Geez I hate those things. After I saw "Jaws" I have never been in the ocean. Go figure stupid me but I cannot help it. I look and put my toes in the waves on the edge. I am seriously petrified of sharks and crocodiles and we have both of those here in SA. We have quite a few shark attack victims that have survived but they have lost limbs etc and many that have not made it. Very sad.
Do you catch sharks when you are on your boat? Yikes, please say no. LOL
Dale_Harris

#53858 Mar 28, 2014
okimar wrote:
<quoted text>Howdy from here Ruby.(Hint... Keep your Dad's pick-up truck. All the real cowgirls/redneckgirls drive them. Its a sign/mark that they don't muck about.*ain't fooling---they're real.) Enjoy the Bar-B-Q. I envision Smoked beef brisket or steaks (or 1/2 a hog.......)and grilled peppers/onions. I'm drooling..... LOL Again,enjoy the feast and family get together.
Morning Okimar

I think that they will be having boerewors for starters. That is a spiced sausage that we have and it is delicious. Never tried grilled peppers/onions on a BBQ think I should give it a try sounds delicious, no wonder you are drooling. LOL maybe Ruby can describe boerewors because it is a SA favourite and WOW it is great.

“Faith Love Hope”

Since: Nov 10

South Africa

#53859 Mar 28, 2014
Hatti_Hollerand wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow Ruby !! You make me pine for my younger years And my horses when I was growing up ! Quite sad I never taught my kids to ride .
It's never too late to get into horseriding and everything equine ;)
Ha Ha Dix wrote:
<quoted text>
If its a Ford you should be alright.
It's a Toyota
okimar wrote:
<quoted text>Howdy from here Ruby.(Hint... Keep your Dad's pick-up truck. All the real cowgirls/redneckgirls drive them. Its a sign/mark that they don't muck about.*ain't fooling---they're real.) Enjoy the Bar-B-Q. I envision Smoked beef brisket or steaks (or 1/2 a hog.......)and grilled peppers/onions. I'm drooling..... LOL Again,enjoy the feast and family get together.
I dream of owning a Toyota Hilux, but I won't be able to afford new tyres, let alone keep the tank full, lol. So it'll remain a dream.

My dad drives a Ford Bantam. It's not a very big pick-up but it gets the job done and is light on gas and has "regular" sized tyres, haha
Dale_Harris wrote:
<quoted text>
Morning Okimar
I think that they will be having boerewors for starters. That is a spiced sausage that we have and it is delicious. Never tried grilled peppers/onions on a BBQ think I should give it a try sounds delicious, no wonder you are drooling. LOL maybe Ruby can describe boerewors because it is a SA favourite and WOW it is great.
You're right. We will most definitely have some wors. I think Google (Wikipedia) can do a better job at explaining what boerewors is. Best I can do is describe it the same way you have...Lol

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boerewors

“ON TRAIL W / DONKEY!”

Since: Oct 08

Location hidden

#53860 Mar 28, 2014
Good morning everyone...

A drunk was proudly showing off his new apartment to a couple of his friends late one night. When they made it to the bedroom, they saw a big brass gong next to the bed.

"What's a big brass gong doing in your bedroom?" one of the guests asked. "It's not a gong. It's a talking clock," the drunk replied. "A talking clock? Seriously?" asked his astonished friend. "Yup," replied the drunk. "How's it work?" the friend asked, squinting at it. "Watch," the drunk replied. He picked up the mallet, gave it an ear-shattering pound, and stepped back. The three stood looking at one another for a moment. Suddenly, someone on the other side of the wall screamed, "You a**hole, it's three o'clock in the morning!"

“Hello Trump”

Goodby Hillary

#53861 Mar 28, 2014
Ruby88 wrote:
<quoted text>
It's never too late to get into horseriding and everything equine ;)
<quoted text>
It's a Toyota
<quoted text>
I dream of owning a Toyota Hilux, but I won't be able to afford new tyres, let alone keep the tank full, lol. So it'll remain a dream.
My dad drives a Ford Bantam. It's not a very big pick-up but it gets the job done and is light on gas and has "regular" sized tyres, haha
<quoted text>
You're right. We will most definitely have some wors. I think Google (Wikipedia) can do a better job at explaining what boerewors is. Best I can do is describe it the same way you have...Lol
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boerewors
I'm on my second Toy pick-up. Absolutely love them. You can't wear them out. My current one is a '92. I rebuilt the motor after 250,000 miles. Cost $1,800.00 to do it but it was worth it. The frame is sound and the rest of the truck is in pretty good shape. I USED to be a Chevy man but got clued watching the news at night. Ever notice arounf the world that all the bad guys drive Toyotas? You gotta know they don't take very good care of them. If a vehicle can stand THAT kind abuse and keeps ticking thats what I need..... LOL

“Hello Trump”

Goodby Hillary

#53862 Mar 28, 2014
Dale_Harris wrote:
<quoted text>
Morning Okimar
Sounds a lot like a bratwurst..... They are delicious grilled. One fav of mine is a form of kabob. I chunk cut the brat and spear it with pineapple,bell pepper,onion,cherry tomato and cabbage alternately. Grill 3-5 minutes or until you get a nice char going.(Blackened on the edges)
Harrison Freebird

New Bern, NC

#53863 Mar 28, 2014
okimar wrote:
<quoted text>Sounds a lot like a bratwurst..... They are delicious grilled. One fav of mine is a form of kabob. I chunk cut the brat and spear it with pineapple,bell pepper,onion,cherry tomato and cabbage alternately. Grill 3-5 minutes or until you get a nice char going.(Blackened on the edges)
One of my fav posts you made a while back was telling how you are so found of scrambled eggs with pig brains for breakfast.

that just ain't right

“ Impulsive, bone in her teeth”

Since: Mar 08

Location hidden

#53864 Mar 28, 2014
hick_up wrote:
<quoted text>He must of stepped on the shark when he fell off. Well wishes for the surfer dude ...a lot of them fish too.<quoted text>No, only seen it on tv/magazines. I've wondered about kiting in the surf ...seems to me that it would work best someplace like Canaveral where the ocean floor rises up at a much steeper angle. Around Melbourne the depth is 20-30 ft for miles. Probably more than I want to spend anyway.
Thoughts are that the shark was following him for some time.
The floor doesn't rise much here either. 2 miles out, 40 to 50 feet. 8 miles and the last can?
60'.
Back to the kites .... Should have westerlies next week, Bonita off the beach would be fun.

Location hidden

#53865 Mar 28, 2014
Dale_Harris wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Ed, do you mean that a wind surfer got eaten up by a shark or just a bit bitten? Geez I hate those things. After I saw "Jaws" I have never been in the ocean. Go figure stupid me but I cannot help it. I look and put my toes in the waves on the edge. I am seriously petrified of sharks and crocodiles and we have both of those here in SA. We have quite a few shark attack victims that have survived but they have lost limbs etc and many that have not made it. Very sad.
Do you catch sharks when you are on your boat? Yikes, please say no. LOL
He got chewed on a bit, but he'll be alright in a few weeks.
Funny but the XO feels like wise. wont go in cloudy water cause she can't see stuff. Wont go in clear water cause she can. HA!! I keep a bang stick with me, puts me a tad higher on the food chain.
Yes I've caught quite a few. Some were to big to boat so they went free. Best eating is a black or white tip around 2 metres or less. Filet and cut into medalions. Cajon seasoned or just blackened. Good stuff. Goes well with black or lima beans and rice.(eat like a Cubano!)

Location hidden

#53866 Mar 28, 2014
okimar wrote:
<quoted text>Sounds a lot like a bratwurst..... They are delicious grilled. One fav of mine is a form of kabob. I chunk cut the brat and spear it with pineapple,bell pepper,onion,cherry tomato and cabbage alternately. Grill 3-5 minutes or until you get a nice char going.(Blackened on the edges)
Thanks Okie, sounds like a thing to do sunday.

“searching myself”

Since: Sep 09

In Charming CA

#53867 Mar 28, 2014
Ed Teach wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks Okie, sounds like a thing to do sunday.
You won't regret it...hubby does brats on the grill much the same way, but he does a cardamom, raisin, and red wine glaze into the bargain. Holy meatsticks!! They're unequaled in the grilled brat world....

")

Location hidden

#53868 Mar 29, 2014
shovelhead72 wrote:
<quoted text>You won't regret it...hubby does brats on the grill much the same way, but he does a cardamom, raisin, and red wine glaze into the bargain. Holy meatsticks!! They're unequaled in the grilled brat world....
")
I had wondered that since cranberry sauce goes so well with pork, why not as a glaze?
Boiled down a can of it till it was thick and spread it around on a roast. Awesome to be sure. Tried it on ribs and was just as good. so tender ....
'course there's that Carolina's mustard base, always liked as dry rub.And on and on ...

Location hidden

#53869 Mar 29, 2014
Having IE troubles. Bad storm blew through a few hours ago. One tornado missed us, went right down the beach-line which is to damn close.
Installed the cutlass bearing and did a quick bottom paint. standing rigging next week.
Checked out what a Ford bantam is Ruby. Neat little truck, smaller than my Ranger though.

8006, bet it doesn't rain for three days now that I don't care.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 2 min Here For Now 619,795
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing 4 min Rider on the Storm 31,775
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 8 min kent 687,439
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 13 min doltbuster 987,443
God is REAL - Miracles Happen! (Jun '11) 2 hr ChromiuMan 6,496
Trump: "Get that Son of a B- - - - off the fiel... 2 hr Love Trump 9
*** All Time Favorite Songs *** (Dec '10) 3 hr SmokinJoe 4,319
More from around the web