“Faith Love Hope”

Since: Nov 10

South Africa

#53420 Feb 12, 2014
Lazy day today. It's almost 2pm and I don't have anything to do, so here begins the countdown to the end of the day.*Sigh...*

Good news is, I got my car back from the mechanics yesterday. But it's still not right :(

It makes a very strange sound while driving and its revs are so low that it keeps stalling when the engine is cold. It wasn't this bad before. I don't know why it's got all these issues now that they've worked on it? Pisses me off, because after about 2 weeks of being in their workshop, you'd think they fixed every little thing they possibly could, but noooo. And they charged us a shitload of money - nearly as much as we bought the car for! I'm not very happy about it not being perfect, or near perfect, but my parents think I'm overreacting. I got frustrated this morning because just driving down the driveway to the gate, I had to restart the engine almost 4 times! And another time just before I left, after I closed the gate! Dad said he'll try to set the revs a bit higher. I don't know why they had to go and adjust it in the first place - my car was fine with idling before they worked on it!

“Faith Love Hope”

South Africa

#53421 Feb 12, 2014
hick_up wrote:
Hey ya'll,
I'd like to address you folks if you don't mind. I'd just like to say thank you for your hospitality. It seems too often imo that human kindness and acceptance are a rare find these days ...especially in the halls of topix. Visiting this thread is like opening a window. I just wanted you to know that you are appreciated.
Glad to hear that you're feeling welcome here in the pub. We're like one big happy family. I can't imagine my life without YOVP, lol

“268th Attack Hel Bn”

Since: May 07

AH-1S Cobra

#53422 Feb 12, 2014
If it's got fuel injection Ruby try adding a bottle of injector cleaner to it. That sometimes helps...
Good morning Hick up.
Why thank you. There are a few threads like this here on Topix. It is a nice change from the contentious ones. Believe me, I've seen some of the worst Topix has to offer. I started it because I got sick of the arguing, and that wasn't what I was looking for when I started posting. I just wanted somewhere I could have some adult conversation while I was laid up. It's been a fun ride for the most part so far. You're always welcome here.

“Faith Love Hope”

South Africa

#53423 Feb 12, 2014
Nope, it's not fuel injection. Not as far as I know anyway

The mechanics said something about the low revs when idling while the engine is cold. They mentioned it has an electric choke, and the choke doesn't work properly anymore... So don't know, maybe the "damage" is permanent? I just feel like crying because I'm tired of things not working right

“268th Attack Hel Bn”

Since: May 07

AH-1S Cobra

#53424 Feb 12, 2014
Yeah, I know it can be frustrating and sometimes a little overwhelming.
Hang in there. It'll be okay. <3

“ Impulsive, bone in her teeth”

Since: Mar 08

Location hidden

#53425 Feb 12, 2014
Rotor Head wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah I thought that was a....ummmmm Ya know, a no no. ATF and assorted other federal LEO's might have a problem with a private citizen being WAY better armed than they are.
Try for a mini gun. I know people have those.....Rounds are easier to come by too.
The funny thing is, when the Navy brought the Tomcat over they forgot to remove the guns.
Three weeks later they were all over the place. Never saw so many federal types outside an office.
Brought their own mechanics too. sorry no cameras allowed.

Location hidden

#53426 Feb 12, 2014
Ruby88 wrote:
Nope, it's not fuel injection. Not as far as I know anyway
The mechanics said something about the low revs when idling while the engine is cold. They mentioned it has an electric choke, and the choke doesn't work properly anymore... So don't know, maybe the "damage" is permanent? I just feel like crying because I'm tired of things not working right
I know the budgets tight Ruby, but have you considered a different mechanic? Perhaps a dealer?
See if Dad can install a manual choke. With the heat you have, there is no 'cold' engine.

“TEXAS ... SECEDE”

Since: Feb 08

REPUBLIC OF TEXAS

#53427 Feb 12, 2014
Hitesrunprincess wrote:
<quoted text>LOL. I bought a cape last year (fashion accessory, not super hero garb) and it's reversable--black on one side, gray on the other, and it has fringe. Really cute, but the teen troll keeps telling me it's not a cape, it's a blanket. A cape should be either Red with a big yellow S on it, or black with a scalloped edge. I told him it's black with fringe--close enough.... He's not buying it though.
LOL
Good morning, Princess ... I can see you so elegantly sporting that beautiful cape ... It's not just material and a super heroine cape ... it's a cape make perfectly for a Princess ... Now, walk the catwalk and mode for us, lol ... I'm buying it now model it ... Enjoy your mid week day!

Hearts, hugs and a beautiful wardrobe ...

“TEXAS ... SECEDE”

REPUBLIC OF TEXAS

#53428 Feb 12, 2014
Ed Teach wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope, a couple of decades after that. Bad for the market, Very good for organized crime.
some place I used to have a pic of Dad with his new Hudson, Had a Tommy gun too.
sweet.
Good morning, Ed ... I picture Bonnie and Clyde days ... and scenes from Boardwalk Empire ... Al Capone and his entourage ---> moonshine ... it's all good ... Tommy gun does sound sweet ... Have a great day ... FC <3 ...

“TEXAS ... SECEDE”

REPUBLIC OF TEXAS

#53429 Feb 12, 2014
Morning Rotor ... keep the fireplace going & stay warm >>mwah<<

6711 ...

“TEXAS ... SECEDE”

REPUBLIC OF TEXAS

#53430 Feb 12, 2014
Afternoon Ruby ... Morning State Side ... Wishing all a great Wednesday, Hump Day ... Enjoy it ... >Blows Kisses< FC <3 ...

2436 ...

“Faith Love Hope”

South Africa

#53431 Feb 12, 2014
Ed Teach wrote:
<quoted text>
I know the budgets tight Ruby, but have you considered a different mechanic? Perhaps a dealer?
See if Dad can install a manual choke. With the heat you have, there is no 'cold' engine.
See, my car was at another mechanic. They said the engine is beyond repair (has too much wear and tear apparently) and that we should look into getting a reconditioned engine... That would also cost a pretty penny. Now the mechanics we had the car at now, was able to fix it. So I ask you, whose opinion was valid? I feel like my car's worse off now after it was "fixed". There are a few things bothering me about it. But I really don't want to take my car back, and sit without it for another two weeks! So I don't know. Ah f*** it, I give up

“Man I Love Fishin”

Since: Sep 13

Palm Bay, FL

#53432 Feb 12, 2014
Ruby88 wrote:
Lazy day today. It's almost 2pm and I don't have anything to do, so here begins the countdown to the end of the day.*Sigh...*
Good news is, I got my car back from the mechanics yesterday. But it's still not right :(
It makes a very strange sound while driving and its revs are so low that it keeps stalling when the engine is cold. It wasn't this bad before. I don't know why it's got all these issues now that they've worked on it? Pisses me off, because after about 2 weeks of being in their workshop, you'd think they fixed every little thing they possibly could, but noooo. And they charged us a shitload of money - nearly as much as we bought the car for! I'm not very happy about it not being perfect, or near perfect, but my parents think I'm overreacting. I got frustrated this morning because just driving down the driveway to the gate, I had to restart the engine almost 4 times! And another time just before I left, after I closed the gate! Dad said he'll try to set the revs a bit higher. I don't know why they had to go and adjust it in the first place - my car was fine with idling before they worked on it!
Hey Ruby ...
About your car, sounds just like a problem I had. Remember I don't know nothing about your car ...age, make, model, engine, etc.

Turned out I had bad gas. Try this experiment; put about a quart of good gas from a filling station in a pickle jar ...it has to be glass so you can see thru it, be very careful ...set the jar somewhere and in a week or two the gas will begin to separate. The corn will be visible and it will draw in moisture ...and then;
~drum roll~
brown mold will begin to grow.
And that was my problem ....moldy gas. The tank had to be drained and the gas discarded, the fuel pump had to be replaced, the injectors cleaned ...about $400 if I remember rite. I probably got the gas from a contaminated in-ground tank. The corn draws in the moisture. It's a big problem here in Fla in boats. Now I try and buy gas where they sell a lot of gas, because the longer that gas sits the better the chance it'll separate ...in the ground or in your car. Drain some gas from your car and see what it looks like. Hope that helps.

“Man I Love Fishin”

Palm Bay, FL

#53433 Feb 12, 2014
Rotor Head wrote:
If it's got fuel injection Ruby try adding a bottle of injector cleaner to it. That sometimes helps...
Good morning Hick up.
Why thank you. There are a few threads like this here on Topix. It is a nice change from the contentious ones. Believe me, I've seen some of the worst Topix has to offer. I started it because I got sick of the arguing, and that wasn't what I was looking for when I started posting. I just wanted somewhere I could have some adult conversation while I was laid up. It's been a fun ride for the most part so far. You're always welcome here.
TY

“Man I Love Fishin”

Palm Bay, FL

#53434 Feb 12, 2014
hick_up wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Ruby ...
About your car, sounds just like a problem I had. Remember I don't know nothing about your car ...age, make, model, engine, etc.
Turned out I had bad gas. Try this experiment; put about a quart of good gas from a filling station in a pickle jar ...it has to be glass so you can see thru it, be very careful ...set the jar somewhere and in a week or two the gas will begin to separate. The corn will be visible and it will draw in moisture ...and then;
~drum roll~
And that was my problem ....moldy gas. The tank had to be drained and the gas discarded, the fuel pump had to be replaced, the injectors cleaned ...about $400 if I remember rite. I probably got the gas from a contaminated in-ground tank. The corn draws in the moisture. It's a big problem here in Fla in boats. Now I try and buy gas where they sell a lot of gas, because the longer that gas sits the better the chance it'll separate ...in the ground or in your car. Drain some gas from your car and see what it looks like. Hope that helps.
Hey Ruby ...I didn't know you were in SA. Prolly a whole diff gas game over there.

“Faith Love Hope”

South Africa

#53435 Feb 12, 2014
hick_up wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Ruby ...I didn't know you were in SA. Prolly a whole diff gas game over there.
I'm the the Gauteng region. And we have many reliable gas stations here. Actually, all over. I've never had any problems with it before, and doubt that that's the problem. I drive a '95 model Toyota Tazz. Since it's an older car, it needs fuel that we here call LRP (Lead Replacement Petrol). It's a metal-containing fuel, since older engines need some lead in order to work correctly. Or that's what my dad said anyway. I've used unleaded petrol before too, and it didn't make much of a difference. But that was only when the gas station didn't have my "regular brand".

The engine makes a noise that sounds like a motorcycle's engine running WITH my engine. But there aren't any motorcycles anywhere near me when I hear that noise, and it's constant, it doesn't come and go. So I don't know. And this morning it struggled to get going again. It's so frustrating. I wish I had the money to just buy a new car! Then I probably won't have these problems. If only...

“Faith Love Hope”

South Africa

#53436 Feb 12, 2014
Morning friendlies

Nearly Friday, thank goodness. And so many things to do this weekend, so it's probably going to be another hectic one. I don't know if we're taking my car back to the mechanics but I think it'll be a good idea, since I'm not satisfied with it

“Man I Love Fishin”

Palm Bay, FL

#53437 Feb 13, 2014
Ruby88 wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm the the Gauteng region. And we have many reliable gas stations here. Actually, all over. I've never had any problems with it before, and doubt that that's the problem. I drive a '95 model Toyota Tazz. Since it's an older car, it needs fuel that we here call LRP (Lead Replacement Petrol). It's a metal-containing fuel, since older engines need some lead in order to work correctly. Or that's what my dad said anyway. I've used unleaded petrol before too, and it didn't make much of a difference. But that was only when the gas station didn't have my "regular brand".
The engine makes a noise that sounds like a motorcycle's engine running WITH my engine. But there aren't any motorcycles anywhere near me when I hear that noise, and it's constant, it doesn't come and go. So I don't know. And this morning it struggled to get going again. It's so frustrating. I wish I had the money to just buy a new car! Then I probably won't have these problems. If only...
Mine is a 95 also, F150, six cylinder, fuel injected and uses only unleaded gas. I forget when exactly they started phasing out leaded gas here in the States ...but it was the late 70's I think. Only recently have they started combining ethanol (corn) with gas.

I wish I could offer you some info you could use ...sorry I couldn't help.

“Faith Love Hope”

South Africa

#53438 Feb 13, 2014
hick_up wrote:
<quoted text>Mine is a 95 also, F150, six cylinder, fuel injected and uses only unleaded gas. I forget when exactly they started phasing out leaded gas here in the States ...but it was the late 70's I think. Only recently have they started combining ethanol (corn) with gas.
I wish I could offer you some info you could use ...sorry I couldn't help.
Hey no worries! One of my colleagues adjusted my car's idling/revs/whatever for me earlier. So at least ONE thing is sorted. We'll see how it goes tomorrow morning but I think it should be fine now

Location hidden

#53439 Feb 13, 2014
hick_up wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Ruby ...
~drum roll~
Hey, where the heck did you but that gas?
I hit the cumberland for a dime discount. Or if I'm not filing it, then hess or racetrac.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
I Will Plow My Mom In Week By Monday 5/28 (May '12) 5 min Send me them 46
top secret government 10 min Sandra 1
sex (May '13) 10 min viky235 94
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 21 min Lumajuice 810,055
Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 41 min dduttonnc 97,896
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 44 min hojo 574,204
No one should blaspheme Prophet Mohammad, peace... 1 hr MUQ2 19
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 1 hr MUQ2 268,948
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 4 hr trifecta1 608,224
Dubai massage Body To Body full service 0559... (Mar '14) 9 hr Coolsa 205
More from around the web