Shark Finning is it killing us?

Shark Finning is it killing us?

Posted in the Top Stories Forum

Since: Mar 14

South Perth, Australia

#1 Mar 9, 2014
Every year over a million of sharks die a slow death because of finning. Finning is the practice of cutting off a shark’s fins and throwing its still alive body back into the sea. The sharks either starve to death or are eaten alive by other fish or drown. Shark fins are being harvested in big numbers to feed the growing demand for shark fin soup mostly in the asian region.

No food chain or biological environment can function correctly, or healthily, without its predators. Sharks are at the top of the ocean’s food chain, and they need to remain there. Without sharks, octopus and seal populations are likely to boom out of control. Octopi and seals eat other marine animals, like fish and lobsters. If they continue to reproduce unchecked, they will begin to eradicate fish, lobster, and various crustacean populations around the world, wreaking havoc on the economies of fishing villages that rely on their catches to make a living, and eradicating a goodly part of the exports of the state of Maine.

Shark finning is also terrible because of one, terrifying reason: nobody cares. But people should. Because only with people will we be able to stop this. Only with people will we be able to save a species.

I'm no animal rights activist, and I eat meat on a weekly basis that I'm sure is not very humanely harvested, but disfiguring an animal and throwing it back into the water to die slowly sounds pretty messed up to me. So We need to do something about this issue. Sharks are not here for humans to torture for our pleasure but to keep a balance in the world.

I wanted to know what people thought about this practice is it right to eliminate sharks I would like to hear everyones opinions.

Since: Apr 13

Scappoose, Oregon USA

#2 Mar 9, 2014
Well of course it's not the right thing to do, I mean if you're going to kill a shark (or any other critter) then do it and be done with it! And I really don't understand wasting the entire shark, keeping only the fins. I mean they are edible! I've had shark steaks before, a very firm lean white meat. I'm just saying, waste is never a good thing and killing an animal slowly and cruelly is just unforgivable. It's just like when deer hunting, you always go for a fast-kill shot.
Knock off purse seller

Denver, CO

#3 Mar 9, 2014
Sickening. I had a hard time reading it.
andet1987

Chicago, IL

#4 Mar 9, 2014
i don't care about shark fin soup. this should be made illegal. the original poster is very correct. sharks play a vital role in balancing the ecosystem.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing 3 min Drumpf Disaster 2,205
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 25 min nanoanomaly 118,654
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 2 hr worthless crap 678,643
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 2 hr UidiotRaceUMAKEWO... 184,825
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 2 hr worthless crap 46,208
The Catholic and Moslem debate 2 hr worthless crap 3
white supremacist freemasons 2 hr worthless crap 6
More from around the web