Who is an atheist?

Who is an atheist?

There are 9498 comments on the The Sydney Morning Herald story from May 30, 2010, titled Who is an atheist?. In it, The Sydney Morning Herald reports that:

In my last blog there was a moderately spectacular blue between various parties .

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Sydney Morning Herald.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#9461 Aug 19, 2013
one cube parsec wrote:
<quoted text>
So according to you, the definition of the word homeopath should be coined only by a homeopath, and it is the sole prerogative of a pedophile to establish the definition of the word pedophile (most likely he would declare himself to be an innocent harmless 'lover' of children)?!
I for one would not trust a lexicographer with surgery, nor a surgeon with the science of compiling dictionaries.
I think a neutral lexicographer is very much still a requirement, as indeed is a general claim by most dictionary brands of repute, who do the impartial research into the current usage, as well as the etymology.
======
And again, all this debate with the religious would mostly be unnecessary or resolved quickly if the lacunae in language were worked out.(this thread is itself an example). Rationalization of languages is going to help humanity in so many way. So I think the thought leaders of society need to be made aware of this. The benifits are immense, I asure you. The incorruptiblity of laws will alone make it worth it. And then most philosophical discussions would also be more efficient and avoid most logic traps and circular logics even paradoxes. Some things are just seemingly contradictory due to the problem of informal approach in defining words, while many things that seem in agreement, actually differ in meaning. Many statements that today seem valid will be invalid in a formal language. Most attempts by clever politicians at misrepresentation of facts, or working in loopholes in laws can be avoided. Also miscommunications and misunderstanding will be impossible in a formal language.
Yes, a formal language can change human society tremendously, help us evolve into a much more advanced civilization. And it not really that difficult either, cause we know it has all been done before.
A translation /redaction of religious scriptures into any scientifically structured formal language will aslo yield very interesting (fun) results!
[A lot of the mess you speak of, already exists and it is in the languages we use.]
Huh.
A cube 19 trillion miles on a side...
one cube parsec

New Delhi, India

#9462 Aug 19, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Huh.
A cube 19 trillion miles on a side...
Just one tweak up from 'One square mile'. Tiny spec of a claim in our universe.
xianity is EVIL

Wheatley, Canada

#9463 Aug 19, 2013
Normand Winnipeg wrote:
--- "AN atheist is a being that rejects GOD'S WAYS AND therefor rejects GOD"--- because there is one and only True GOD as it is written and implied from Genesis to Revelation thousands and thousands of places...Thankyou...
atheist rejects all gods
bible says
Thou shall have no OTHER gods before me,
so if bible is correct there are OTHER gods.

www.godchecker.com
btw
your gods way is evil ,we dont need it

www.evilbible.com
xianity is EVIL

Wheatley, Canada

#9464 Aug 19, 2013
bc I dont believe worship god Im ATHEIST

could there exist some undefined god,maybe

I dont know,so Im also AGNOSTIC

so there you have it Im AGNOSTIC and ATHEIST

chew on that religitards!

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#9465 Aug 19, 2013
US are Warring Savages wrote:
<quoted text>LAnguage?
In the US? English and Spanish are the two dominant languages, due to population.

There is certainly a language that is third on the list, but I have no idea which one that would be-- it would depend on where in the world the immigrants came from.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#9466 Aug 19, 2013
one cube parsec wrote:
<quoted text>
So according to you, the definition of the word homeopath should be coined only by a homeopath, and it is the sole prerogative of a pedophile to establish the definition of the word pedophile (most likely he would declare himself to be an innocent harmless 'lover' of children)?!
Those are negative labels/descriptions applied to sociopathic behavior.

Are you trying to equate these with **atheism** now?

That **is** a common LIE from True Believer™ bigots.

Sheesh but you are a moron.
UidiotRaceMAKEWO RLDPEACE

United States

#9467 Aug 19, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
In the US? English and Spanish are the two dominant languages, due to population.
There is certainly a language that is third on the list, but I have no idea which one that would be-- it would depend on where in the world the immigrants came from.
I would say Mandarin, what you think?

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#9468 Aug 19, 2013
UidiotRaceMAKEWORLDPEACE wrote:
<quoted text>I would say Mandarin, what you think?
I really have no idea what the third-largest immigrant population is, after Hispanics.

United States

#9469 Aug 19, 2013
<quoted text>
I really have no idea what the third-largest immigrant population is, after Hispanics.
Chinese - MAndarin or Cantonese

Chinese Immigrants in the United States

By Aaron Matteo Terrazas and Bhavna Devani
Migration Policy Institute
Click here for larger version of map. Due to compatibility issues, you may need to download the map for it to load properly.

Related Articles:

•China: From Exceptional Case to Global Participant

•After-School Institutions in Chinese and Korean Immigrant Communities: A Model for Others?

•Becoming American/Becoming New Yorkers: The Second Generation in a Majority Minority City

•The "Brain Gain" Race Begins with Foreign Students

June 2008

Source Spotlights are often updated as new data become available. Please click here to find the most recent version of this Spotlight.

The 1980 census recorded the foreign born from China as the 10th-largest immigrant group in the United States. By 2006, the number of Chinese immigrants had increased nearly fivefold, making them the third-largest immigrant group in the United States after the Mexican and Filipino foreign born.

Although half of the immigrants from China have settled in just two states — California and New York — their numbers are increasing rapidly in states such as Wyoming and Nebraska, which previously attracted relatively few Chinese immigrants (for more information on immigrants by state, please see the 2006 ACS/Census Data Tool on the MPI Data Hub).

http://www.migrationinformation.org/USfocus/d...

United States

#9470 Aug 19, 2013
one cube parsec wrote:
<quoted text>
Ich auch. Ich habe gelernt in schule.
<quoted text>
Agree 100%. But we already have made a lot of progress towards a common language, thanks to the british empire, and people largely recognize the benifits of a common language. Now if only if the brits had colonized the japs and the koreans, we would know what all they are upto.
But the (tremendous) benifits of a formal or at least a more rational language is not understood by most today, simply because most have not experienced its benifits. If the vedics had not turned pacifist, maybe things might have been different. Which is why the need for some of us to push for it.
Auf Weidersehen.
Why colonize its brutal enslavement of others instead Establish realtionship through exchange cultures.... Why are you a War monger animal? WBHAHhAHHAHA

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#9471 Aug 20, 2013
<quoted text>
I guarantee it ain't the language I grew up in.

Laffin.
one cube parsec

Delhi, India

#9472 Aug 20, 2013
<quoted text>
Nope.
Agnostic literally means "without knowledge" or "without knowing".
It is usually used to mean "cannot know" or "it is impossible to know" and typically this is in context with gods or supernatural elements.
You can be both an atheist and an agnostic at the same time.
The atheist has no faith in gods, and the agnostic thinks it's impossible to know anything about gods.
Easy as pie.
OK
Agnostic =
1. Knows not if god exists
AND OR
2. Also those who think existence of a god can not be proven.
Atheist = has no faith in god (god = omnipotent and omniscient entity), but faith is belief (belief = hold arg. as true with out logical or empirical support)
So now Agnostic = Atheist, according to you as the two positions are same, if you work it out.
What about those who KNOW that a god does not exist or can not exist, ie have proof that a god does not exist (like me). What do you call those people.
(or even those who believe there is no god ie have no proof god does not exist, but hold on to the arg. all the same)
The group of people who say "their is no god" have no name now.I used to call myself agnostic when I did not know, like when I was 13. Then I kept questioning and learning and now I have many proofs that a god [god as defined properly as an entity with omnipotence and omniscience], does not exist and can not exist, which is when I called myself ATHEIST (with confidence).
If you are agnostic ie have no knowledge / proof that god exists, but then you automatically also say god DOES NOT EXIT, without any proof to support the argument of its non existence, then you are a believer of the argument "god does not exist"
Which is irrational.
one cube parsec

Delhi, India

#9473 Aug 20, 2013
The problem is how those dictionaries define words.

Which is why we need concerted effort to rationalize languages, so at least every word is well defined and uses only other well defines words to define itself, and also every word should have only one definition.
one cube parsec

Delhi, India

#9474 Aug 20, 2013
<quoted text>
Those are negative labels/descriptions applied to sociopathic behavior.
Are you trying to equate these with **atheism** now?
That **is** a common LIE from True Believer™ bigots.
Sheesh but you are a moron.
homeopath = Practitioner of homeopathy (homeopathy doctors).
Ex of pedophile was chosen as it was easy to understand, not to malign by association.

You are overly sensitive, I can picture you pouting your lips.

Be critical and dispassionate if you want a rationalist AND an atheist like me (I define atheist as one who takes the position that a god like entity does not / can not exist) to take you seriously.

Since I am also a rationalist, so you should be able to work it out that I also have sufficient proof and knowledge that a god like entity (having omnipotence and omniscience) does not exist and can not exist.
one cube parsec

Delhi, India

#9475 Aug 20, 2013
UidiotRaceMAKEWORLDPEACE wrote:
<quoted text> Why colonize its brutal enslavement of others instead Establish realtionship through exchange cultures.... Why are you a War monger animal? WBHAHhAHHAHA
I did not justify colonization, just noting neutrally the cause for english to be wide spread.

If the english had been pacifists, then English would today only be spoken in tiny island of UK, not even Ireland. And we would not have it as the international language it is today.

Is it better that all the people of the world suddenly turn rationalists and realize the immense benefits of a common language for all peoples of the world and then proceed to make an international language made up out of all the different languages spoken everywhere so the question of yours and ours does not arise? Sure. But has not happened yet.
Normand Winnipeg

Winnipeg, Canada

#9476 Aug 20, 2013
Normand Winnipeg wrote:
--- "AN atheist is a being that rejects GOD'S WAYS AND therefor rejects GOD"--- because there is one and only True GOD as it is written and implied from Genesis to Revelation thousands and thousands of places...Thankyou...
---Repeat, Yes and if We read GOD'S HOLY SCRIPTURES, WE will see the Truth and the Truth will set us free from the evil ones and the lies and deceptions...
Amused

Merrimac, MA

#9477 Aug 20, 2013
Normand Winnipeg wrote:
<quoted text>---Repeat, Yes and if We read GOD'S HOLY SCRIPTURES, WE will see the Truth and the Truth will set us free from the evil ones and the lies and deceptions...
Using the bible to prove the truth of the bible. More circular reasoning, like a dog chasing its own tail.
one cube parsec

Delhi, India

#9478 Aug 20, 2013
There are only three positions POSSIBLE regarding existence of god

1. God exists = theist.
2. God doesn't exist = atheist.(absence of god, not absence of belief of god)
3. Don't know = agnostic.

That is how majority use the words theist, atheist and agnostic.
Dictionaries should be updated, to keep things simple and clear and unambiguous.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#9479 Aug 20, 2013
one cube parsec wrote:
<quoted text>
I did not justify colonization, just noting neutrally the cause for english to be wide spread.
If the english had been pacifists, then English would today only be spoken in tiny island of UK, not even Ireland. And we would not have it as the international language it is today.
Is it better that all the people of the world suddenly turn rationalists and realize the immense benefits of a common language for all peoples of the world and then proceed to make an international language made up out of all the different languages spoken everywhere so the question of yours and ours does not arise? Sure. But has not happened yet.
Esperanto.
one cube parsec

Delhi, India

#9480 Aug 20, 2013
One can not 'not know' if god exists or not, and simultaneously also know that a god does not exist.

The positions agnostic and atheist,(as well as theist) are all mutually exclusive positions.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 4 min New Age Spiritual... 668,132
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 6 min El Chapo 286,126
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 10 min Bongo 93,112
--- Pres TRUMP Opening Door to ANTICHRIST, TRIB... 11 min Truthiness 2
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 11 min UIDIOTRACEMAKEWOR... 183,702
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 33 min Aura Mytha 979,565
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 2 hr Rosa_Winkel 46,049
More from around the web