Who is an atheist?

Who is an atheist?

There are 9494 comments on the The Sydney Morning Herald story from May 30, 2010, titled Who is an atheist?. In it, The Sydney Morning Herald reports that:

In my last blog there was a moderately spectacular blue between various parties .

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Sydney Morning Herald.

Pinky Minus The Brain

Lake Forest, CA

#8772 Nov 25, 2012
Trolled.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#8773 Nov 25, 2012
Alea iacta est wrote:
The consequence of non action is greater of that of belief.
That's a slightly decayed version of Pascal's Wager.

Doesn't work, sorry.
Nothing to Looose

UK

#8775 Nov 25, 2012
Alea iacta est wrote:
The consequence of non action is greater of that of belief.
I buy that!

“There are other issues.”

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#8776 Nov 25, 2012
Drew Smith wrote:
<quoted text>Yes.

Educated What wrote, "If so what do you think about it? "

Not much. Atheism isn't a "replacement" for religion. One might just as well claim that "not believing in the Tooth Fairy" is a "replacement" for "believing in the Tooth Fairy".(The author to which Austin is replying, Barber, isn't using the term "replacement" in the way that Austin is.) So the author is engaged in a straw man argument.

And his statement "...at its best religious faith calls for sacrifice, unselfishness, love, and a willingness to remove oneself from the center of the universe, so to speak." But simply living in a social species (with circles of close family, distant family, neighbors, friends, etc.) calls for that, without the need for religion. The author is implying that atheists never sacrifice (does he realize how many atheists have served in the military?), and that atheists are selfish (I have no doubt that atheists are just as likely as anyone else to give to their spouses, their children, the parents, and to charity in an unselfish manner, and not to feel that they must do so just because an imagined deity requires it).

And I don't think that the author makes a convincing case for the long-term future of religious belief when he says "...human beings long for transcendence of some sort, as shown by the presence and prevalence of religious belief throughout cultures across time." Humans have, for just as long, found many different ways to practice "transcendence", such as art.
I believe the author makes a great case! Very well written.

Location hidden

#8777 Nov 25, 2012
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>I'll settle for "fractured into utter irrelevance".

Which is, to my unabashed glee, the direction in which it's merrily galloping.

When every True Believer® finally recognizes that he's just another cult-of-one, there will be a wonderful party
Won't happen. Things change just like people change teams. Hispanics are very religious and since they will be the majority, religion will make a stand.

Since: Feb 08

Tampa, FL

#8778 Nov 25, 2012
Not much. Atheism isn't a "replacement" for religion. One might just as well claim that "not believing in the Tooth Fairy" is a "replacement" for "believing in the Tooth Fairy".(The author to which Austin is replying, Barber, isn't using the term "replacement" in the way that Austin is.) So the author is engaged in a straw man argument.

And his statement "...at its best religious faith calls for sacrifice, unselfishness, love, and a willingness to remove oneself from the center of the universe, so to speak." But simply living in a social species (with circles of close family, distant family, neighbors, friends, etc.) calls for that, without the need for religion. The author is implying that atheists never sacrifice (does he realize how many atheists have served in the military?), and that atheists are selfish (I have no doubt that atheists are just as likely as anyone else to give to their spouses, their children, the parents, and to charity in an unselfish manner, and not to feel that they must do so just because an imagined deity requires it).

And I don't think that the author makes a convincing case for the long-term future of religious belief when he says "...human beings long for transcendence of some sort, as shown by the presence and prevalence of religious belief throughout cultures across time." Humans have, for just as long, found many different ways to practice "transcendence", such as art.
Educated What wrote:
I believe the author makes a great case! Very well written.
I notice that you didn't address any of the points I made.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#8779 Nov 25, 2012
Educated What wrote:
<quoted text>
Won't happen. Things change just like people change teams. Hispanics are very religious and since they will be the majority, religion will make a stand.
Tell that to the Camacho family.

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

#8780 Nov 25, 2012
Drew Smith wrote:
<quoted text>
I notice that you didn't address any of the points I made.
Science > Religion.

Richardfs

“Formerly "Richard"”

Since: Mar 12

In the beginning e=mc^2

#8781 Nov 26, 2012
Educated What wrote:
<quoted text>
Lol! You got stomped and you just don't know how to react do you. You made false claims with nothing to back you up. Hey your friends do better, learn from them. They make it interesting.
I see you have learned to play pigeon chess.

You are just another typical godbot. You are all the same. You come to a thread on an atheist forum shoot your mouth off about some BS and then demand respect when you get shot down.

Location hidden

#8782 Nov 26, 2012
Richardfs wrote:
<quoted text>I see you have learned to play pigeon chess.

You are just another typical godbot. You are all the same. You come to a thread on an atheist forum shoot your mouth off about some BS and then demand respect when you get shot down.
It's hard to believe that you see anything. There's no BS, no preaching, and I don't care who you respect. You didn't shoot me down you just lied because you couldn't prove your claims. Check mate!
Doctor REALITY

United States

#8783 Nov 26, 2012
An atheist is anyone who denies that the universe came into being through an Eternal,Almighty Creator. And that Almighty Creator is none other than....the Lord Jesus Christ,who also gave His life for ALL at the Holy Cross of Calvary.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#8784 Nov 27, 2012
Educated What wrote:
<quoted text>
It's hard to believe that you see anything. There's no BS, no preaching, and I don't care who you respect. You didn't shoot me down you just lied because you couldn't prove your claims. Check mate!
Creationist liar with no proof of god, lying away pretending to be innocent when in the past he's called all atheists "child molestors & hitler".

Go back to your failed discovery institute cult and tell them you've failed to convert any atheists for the last two years.

Location hidden

#8785 Nov 27, 2012
Doctor REALITY wrote:
An atheist is anyone who denies that the universe came into being through an Eternal,Almighty Creator. And that Almighty Creator is none other than....the Lord Jesus Christ,who also gave His life for ALL at the Holy Cross of Calvary.
An atheist is a lack of belief in god and nothing more than that.

You idiot Creationists preach lies and hatred and that's why nobody believes you're ridiculous bullsh*t you call a religion.
Doctor REALITY

United States

#8786 Nov 27, 2012
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
You idiot Creationists preach lies and hatred and that's why nobody believes you're ridiculous bullsh*t you call a religion.
http://www.bing.com/videos/search...
Doctor REALITY

United States

#8787 Nov 27, 2012
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
http://scripturedig.files.wordpress.com/2010/...

Location hidden

#8788 Nov 27, 2012
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>Creationist liar with no proof of god, lying away pretending to be innocent when in the past he's called all atheists "child molestors & hitler".

Go back to your failed discovery institute cult and tell them you've failed to convert any atheists for the last two years.
You fail to prove your claims all the time. But you say the something to all theists. Get original.

Location hidden

#8789 Nov 27, 2012
Educated What wrote:
<quoted text>You fail to prove your claims all the time. But you say the something to all theists. Get original.
Something = same thing

Location hidden

#8790 Nov 27, 2012
Doctor REALITY wrote:
Atheism is a lack of belief in god. None of your immoral liars can change a dictionary definition, however much your cult shamelessly pays you to try.

Location hidden

#8791 Nov 27, 2012
Educated What wrote:
<quoted text>
You fail to prove your claims all the time. But you say the something to all theists. Get original.
I don't make any claims, because we've all seen from your countless examples what really happens when you go around expecting normal sane people to believe that a fictional jesus character rode on the backs of dinosaurs and fossils never existed even though you can pick them the f*ck up in any decent museum.

Location hidden

#8792 Nov 27, 2012
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>I don't make any claims, because we've all seen from your countless examples what really happens when you go around expecting normal sane people to believe that a fictional jesus character rode on the backs of dinosaurs and fossils never existed even though you can pick them the f*ck up in any decent museum.
You claim that I believe Jesus rode on the backs if dinosaurs and fossils never existed so prove I said that. Prove it you liar.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Why are Europeans a race of savages, thieves, a... (Jun '15) 2 hr Johnny 464
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing (Mar '17) 2 hr Is this True 47,087
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 3 hr kent 692,110
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 5 hr Gabriel 990,677
American Soldiers - Duty, Honor, Country (Jun '11) 7 hr DJ Crazee 39,286
beware of raymond rotolo / ps inspections llc 13 hr BEWARE_RAY_ROTOLO 1
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 14 hr waaasssuuup 445,850
More from around the web