Who is an atheist?

Who is an atheist?

There are 9352 comments on the The Sydney Morning Herald story from May 30, 2010, titled Who is an atheist?. In it, The Sydney Morning Herald reports that:

In my last blog there was a moderately spectacular blue between various parties .

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Sydney Morning Herald.

“There are other issues.”

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#8687 Nov 24, 2012
water_nymph wrote:
Is the new gray box 'rio' fooling anyone into thinking it's not Educated What?
It's funny how you make another assumption. Why do you do these things? Do I say you are somebody else say skeptic? Can you prove it?

Location hidden

#8688 Nov 24, 2012
water_nymph wrote:
<quoted text>I love it when people come here and start preaching and then when it doesn't go well, start their own Person Persecution Project.
Assumptions again. Now you are looking for friends to help you out. Typical attack. Social barrier.

Location hidden

#8689 Nov 24, 2012
Richardfs wrote:
<quoted text>Remember you are the one who said it was ok to worship spiders.
I guess you don't understand what I meant. Do I need to explain it to you?
okey dokey

Porterville, CA

#8690 Nov 24, 2012
YTD

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#8691 Nov 24, 2012
?
see the light

Porterville, CA

#8692 Nov 24, 2012
You_tube_dude_

Richardfs

“Formerly "Richard"”

Since: Mar 12

In the beginning e=mc^2

#8693 Nov 24, 2012
Educated What wrote:
<quoted text>
I guess you don't understand what I meant. Do I need to explain it to you?
No need to explain your meaning is perfectly clear: myths, ignorance and superstition trumps education.

Location hidden

#8694 Nov 24, 2012
Richardfs wrote:
<quoted text>No need to explain your meaning is perfectly clear: myths, ignorance and superstition trumps education.
I guess you don't need to explain yours either. Ignorance, topicality violation trumps over actual discussion.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#8695 Nov 24, 2012
Educated What wrote:
<quoted text>
Again that is still a breakdown in the communication process. Nobody here can prove who is smarter. You still give opinions. I don't dispute who is wrong or right, I just wonder why you and others have to put religious people down. That is a complex. What do you gain from it?
I do not put religious people down for simply being religious. I think they are wrong, but I know many intelligent and caring people who are religious. The problems come in when people who are religious insist on everyone else following their belief systems and wanting political power to enforce their positions. I also have a problem when people deny basic facts about the world (such as evolution or the science behind the Big bang) simply because of their religious beliefs. That is simply being ignorant for the sake of religion and I *do* have a problem with that. The intelligent people I know who are religious don't deny the basic facts of science; they acknowledge those facts and adapt their religion to encompass them.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#8696 Nov 24, 2012
Educated What wrote:
<quoted text>
Again it's still the educational barrier. What you consider facts is what you consider. What I consider facts is what I consider facts. That's not the argument. The argument is why put people down because they are religious? What do you gain from that?
You don't get to have your own facts. You get to interpret them differently, but the facts (observable, testable observations) are not things you get to pick and choose.

I do not put people down simply because they are religious. I think they are wrong, but I don't put them down because of it. What I *will* put people down for is being deliberately ignorant and proud of that ignorance. And that is something that is promoted all too often by religion. THAT brand of religion drives me up a wall. And I think fighting it at every turn is important in a society such as ours, where the ignorance of a populace inevitably leads to bad government.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#8697 Nov 24, 2012
Educated What wrote:
<quoted text>
Answers to:
1. Please define real education. What do you consider to be real? I have my degree, my business and you don't get there by being dumb.
Reality is defined by observation, making hypotheses, testing them and then refining them if necessary. Truth is whatever can hold up under repeated attempts to refute it with evidence.

Religion is not based on evidence, observation, or testing. Someone who attempts to refute a religious point with evidence is considered a heretic, not a hero. While someone who attempts to refute a scientific point by evidence is considered to be doing a service.

THAT is the difference: religion thinks it already has all the truths. Science knows it does not, but has mechanisms in place to fix things that are shown wrong.

There are many, many people who are ignorant of anything outside of their specialty. If you are in business, I might ask your advice about a business proposition, but it gives you no weight concerning the conclusions of science. The reverse also holds: having knowledge of science does not automatically give any business acumen.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#8698 Nov 24, 2012
water_nymph wrote:
<quoted text>I love it when people come here and start preaching and then when it doesn't go well, start their own Person Persecution Project.
Yeah.

Next comes the Sock Invasion.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#8699 Nov 24, 2012
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
I do not put religious people down for simply being religious. I think they are wrong, but I know many intelligent and caring people who are religious. The problems come in when people who are religious insist on everyone else following their belief systems and wanting political power to enforce their positions. I also have a problem when people deny basic facts about the world (such as evolution or the science behind the Big bang) simply because of their religious beliefs. That is simply being ignorant for the sake of religion and I *do* have a problem with that. The intelligent people I know who are religious don't deny the basic facts of science; they acknowledge those facts and adapt their religion to encompass them.
Hi, poly. Long time.

Location hidden

#8700 Nov 24, 2012
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>I do not put religious people down for simply being religious. I think they are wrong, but I know many intelligent and caring people who are religious. The problems come in when people who are religious insist on everyone else following their belief systems and wanting political power to enforce their positions. I also have a problem when people deny basic facts about the world (such as evolution or the science behind the Big bang) simply because of their religious beliefs. That is simply being ignorant for the sake of religion and I *do* have a problem with that. The intelligent people I know who are religious don't deny the basic facts of science; they acknowledge those facts and adapt their religion to encompass them.
I agree with you. Nobody should shove anything down people's throats. We live in America and we have the freedom of choice! The Pope I believe adapts evolution to his religion. I don't deny science, evolution, or religion. I just simply believe in God. My best friend is atheist and I respect him very much. He holds a doctorates and I hold a masters. But I'm the business person and he's my partner. All I am saying is we shouldn't worry about what we believe UNLESS somebody tries to shove things down your throat. I also believe that people shouldn't judge anyone. You sound like an intelligent person and like speaking to you. Thanks for bring very mature!

Location hidden

#8701 Nov 24, 2012
Richardfs wrote:
<quoted text>No need to explain your meaning is perfectly clear: myths, ignorance and superstition trumps education.
Still waiting!

Richardfs

“Formerly "Richard"”

In the beginning e=mc^2

#8703 Nov 24, 2012
Educated What wrote:
<quoted text>
Still waiting!
Remember you are the one who said it was ok to worship spiders.

Location hidden

#8704 Nov 24, 2012
Richardfs wrote:
<quoted text>Remember you are the one who said it was ok to worship spiders.
So you can't prove that I preached to you? Thank you for proving me right and proving yourself a liar. I don't take it personal but don't accuse me of preaching when I don't do that. Your spider thing that you are on is actually funny. I laughed at it. But people have the choice.

Location hidden

#8705 Nov 24, 2012
Richardfs wrote:
<quoted text>Not a complex it's just reality, deal with it.
How's your complex now?

Location hidden

#8706 Nov 24, 2012
Educated What wrote:
<quoted text>Answers to:
1. Please define real education. What do you consider to be real? I have my degree, my business and you don't get there by being dumb.

2. How do you know I am special as special Ed? What evidence do you have? Projecting much?

3. Find a post where I have done that. Show me where I have pushed my religion to you. I stand for freedom of choice. Evidence is crucial here.

4. Why? Why do you concern yourself with this? What are you going to do about? You're out numbered. Lol!

Superior you are not. But keep patting yourself on your back. Lol!
I am also waiting for you to dispute this.

Richardfs

“Formerly "Richard"”

In the beginning e=mc^2

#8707 Nov 24, 2012
Educated What wrote:
<quoted text>
So you can't prove that I preached to you?..
I have twice.

Remember you are the one who said it was ok to worship spiders.

Now it is three times.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 6 min Rosa_Winkel 55,899
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 43 min RoSesz 649,765
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 1 hr Just Saying 972,381
American Soldiers - Duty, Honor, Country (Jun '11) 1 hr DENG 39,052
Israel End is Near (Feb '15) 2 hr MUQ2 426
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 2 hr bad bob 182,930
should i give my brother a bj? (Dec '12) 2 hr James 33
Play "end of the word" part 2 (Dec '15) 4 hr WasteWater 2,291
Moms having sex with their sons (Aug '12) Fri Noname 69
More from around the web