Who is an atheist?

Who is an atheist?

There are 9494 comments on the The Sydney Morning Herald story from May 30, 2010, titled Who is an atheist?. In it, The Sydney Morning Herald reports that:

In my last blog there was a moderately spectacular blue between various parties .

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Sydney Morning Herald.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#8670 Nov 24, 2012
Educated What wrote:
<quoted text>
No, educational barrier is not that, it's a breakdown in communication when you think you are smarter than others.
The problem here is that some people *are* smarter than others. Some people are more informed; some are better able to reason; some are more creative; some have deeper insights, etc.

If you are less informed, your opinion carries less weight. If your 'facts' are wrong, then your conclusions are potentially invalid.

The problem is that people have a bias towards the *truth* as opposed to mere *opinions*. The difference is that truth can be backed up by facts, observation, and testing, while opinions are yours alone.

There does not *have* to be a breakdown of communication simply because one person is smarter than another---the one less informed can become more informed; or the subject can change and the one who previously was more informed can now be less informed in the new subject and can learn from that.

“There are other issues.”

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#8671 Nov 24, 2012
Richardfs wrote:
<quoted text>Because education shines a searing light into the darkest corners of myths and superstition.
Again prime example of educational barrier. Richard who thinks he is superior makes comments to try and belittle people. Why? What does he gain? It doesn't matter if a person worships a spider, it's their choice. Why can't you accept that. Still waiting for that post where I preached to you.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#8672 Nov 24, 2012
Educated What wrote:
<quoted text>
You still have to use the Educational and Social Barriers. Just because I don't believe what you believe that makes me uneducated? Why do you feel superior? I am not overwhelmed with anything. Public forums are that, PUBLIC. Lol! Don't need an invitation.
There is no need for any of you to be horrible people. But you choose to be. Lol!
It is quite possible to disagree with me and still be educated---knowledgeable debate is a crucial part of the learning process. But there is a huge difference between disagreeing on subtle points and simply not knowing the basic facts. The latter is what makes one uneducated. The solution is simple: become educated.

Location hidden

#8673 Nov 24, 2012
Richardfs wrote:
<quoted text>Not a complex it's just reality, deal with it.
Lol, no it's a complex. You are not superior, smarter, and you cannot back up your claims that you made earlier. Educational Barrier at its best!

Location hidden

#8674 Nov 24, 2012
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>The problem here is that some people *are* smarter than others. Some people are more informed; some are better able to reason; some are more creative; some have deeper insights, etc.

If you are less informed, your opinion carries less weight. If your 'facts' are wrong, then your conclusions are potentially invalid.

The problem is that people have a bias towards the *truth* as opposed to mere *opinions*. The difference is that truth can be backed up by facts, observation, and testing, while opinions are yours alone.

There does not *have* to be a breakdown of communication simply because one person is smarter than another---the one less informed can become more informed; or the subject can change and the one who previously was more informed can now be less informed in the new subject and can learn from that.
Again that is still a breakdown in the communication process. Nobody here can prove who is smarter. You still give opinions. I don't dispute who is wrong or right, I just wonder why you and others have to put religious people down. That is a complex. What do you gain from it?

Location hidden

#8675 Nov 24, 2012
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>It is quite possible to disagree with me and still be educated---knowledgeable debate is a crucial part of the learning process. But there is a huge difference between disagreeing on subtle points and simply not knowing the basic facts. The latter is what makes one uneducated. The solution is simple: become educated.
Again it's still the educational barrier. What you consider facts is what you consider. What I consider facts is what I consider facts. That's not the argument. The argument is why put people down because they are religious? What do you gain from that?
rio

Bromley, UK

#8676 Nov 24, 2012
Richardfs wrote:
<quoted text>
Not a complex it's just reality, deal with it.
No, it looks like you cannot deal with your complex.

Others can: they just laugh at you!

Richardfs

“Formerly "Richard"”

Since: Mar 12

In the beginning e=mc^2

#8677 Nov 24, 2012
Educated What wrote:
<quoted text>
Again prime example of educational barrier. Richard who thinks he is superior makes comments to try and belittle people. Why? What does he gain? It doesn't matter if a person worships a spider, it's their choice. Why can't you accept that. Still waiting for that post where I preached to you.
You preach by extolling the virtues of ignorance and myths.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#8678 Nov 24, 2012
Educated What wrote:
<quoted text>
Still an assumption and you know it.
Bah.

Nymph's right.

You're not worth the attention.

V*I*M enabled.

Location hidden

#8679 Nov 24, 2012
Richardfs wrote:
<quoted text>You preach by extolling the virtues of ignorance and myths.
Prove it! It's that simple.

Richardfs

“Formerly "Richard"”

In the beginning e=mc^2

#8680 Nov 24, 2012
BTW "unEducated tWit" what have you got against education?

Location hidden

#8681 Nov 24, 2012
Richardfs wrote:
Oh here comes the name calling. So now you do educational, social, and attitudinal barriers. Amazing. To answer your question, nothing. I have one and it has done wonders for me. But you made a claim earlier, I am still waiting for evidence since you are knowledgeable and evidence is key.

Location hidden

#8682 Nov 24, 2012
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Bah.

Nymph's right.

You're not worth the attention.

V*I*M enabled.
Ok, have a glorious day!
rio

Bromley, UK

#8683 Nov 24, 2012
Richardfs wrote:
It doesn't give anyone "superiority".

“Live Love Laugh”

Since: Aug 07

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#8684 Nov 24, 2012
Richardfs wrote:
<quoted text>
Because education shines a searing light into the darkest corners of myths and superstition.
I love it when people come here and start preaching and then when it doesn't go well, start their own Person Persecution Project.

“Live Love Laugh”

Since: Aug 07

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#8685 Nov 24, 2012
Is the new gray box 'rio' fooling anyone into thinking it's not Educated What?

Richardfs

“Formerly "Richard"”

In the beginning e=mc^2

#8686 Nov 24, 2012
Educated What wrote:
<quoted text>
Prove it! It's that simple.
Remember you are the one who said it was ok to worship spiders.

Location hidden

#8687 Nov 24, 2012
water_nymph wrote:
Is the new gray box 'rio' fooling anyone into thinking it's not Educated What?
It's funny how you make another assumption. Why do you do these things? Do I say you are somebody else say skeptic? Can you prove it?

Location hidden

#8688 Nov 24, 2012
water_nymph wrote:
<quoted text>I love it when people come here and start preaching and then when it doesn't go well, start their own Person Persecution Project.
Assumptions again. Now you are looking for friends to help you out. Typical attack. Social barrier.

Location hidden

#8689 Nov 24, 2012
Richardfs wrote:
<quoted text>Remember you are the one who said it was ok to worship spiders.
I guess you don't understand what I meant. Do I need to explain it to you?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing (Mar '17) 7 min roymoores tightie... 42,314
Bring the jobs back to the USA! 3 hr Paul McCartney is... 633
Do white girls really love filipino men? In wha... (Apr '14) 4 hr Paul McCartney is... 5
Zumo de aloe vera al por mayor 5 hr okyaloaloedrink 1
Palm Coast Injury Attorney 7 hr Chiumento3 1
Why are Europeans a race of savages, thieves, a... (Jun '15) 7 hr Johnny 152
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 7 hr Tellthetruth 989,782
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 8 hr PadMark 690,521
More from around the web