Who is an atheist?

Who is an atheist?

There are 9503 comments on the The Sydney Morning Herald story from May 30, 2010, titled Who is an atheist?. In it, The Sydney Morning Herald reports that:

In my last blog there was a moderately spectacular blue between various parties .

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Sydney Morning Herald.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#8608 Nov 23, 2012
Educated What wrote:
<quoted text>
Why is this a competition to you? What will happen if one of your kids believe in God? Are you going to make fun of him/her? Do you really give them the choice? That is pretty immature there.
Oh, it's not a competition of any kind.

You're not even in the running.

“There are other issues.”

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#8609 Nov 23, 2012
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>You're becoming tiresome.
I don't give a rat's patoot whether Hispanics are a majority.
I speak Spanish, and have no difficulty with 'em.
What "educational barrier"?
And even though I gave you a #ucking definition, you still don't know what "meiosis" is.
Exactly my point, you shouldn't care! You shouldn't care about what people believe. What's with the cussing? Isn't meiosis a special cell division? It deals with sexual reproduction. What definition did you use? Still using the educational barrier.

“There are other issues.”

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#8610 Nov 23, 2012
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Oh, it's not a competition of any kind.

You're not even in the running.
Neither are you my dear.

“There are other issues.”

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#8611 Nov 23, 2012
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Oh, it's not a competition of any kind.

You're not even in the running.
Forgot, neither are you or your kids. Much better. Have yourself a great day!

“Live Love Laugh”

Since: Aug 07

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#8612 Nov 23, 2012
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Unbelievers don't have to get rid of anything.
Fundamentalists have painted themselves into a rapidly-shrinking corner, and the whole mess is dying a rapid (if long overdue) death, all by itself.
Wanna know what's killing off your nonsense even faster than you are?
Google.
Brilliant.

“Live Love Laugh”

Since: Aug 07

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#8613 Nov 23, 2012
Adam wrote:
<quoted text>
True. The internet is killing off religion. Religion can only survive in a bubble. Christianity is trying to adapt to new circumstances, but cannot evolve quick enough.
They can't change the Bible fast enough to prevent people from reading what it actually says and going,'BAH, nonsense!'

I am in a discussion on another thread where the Christian has rewritten nearly the entire Bible to prove that being himself is okay.

But when even young people see that the Bible can be changed with such ease in any situation, they question it. And they question it because nobody in America can (legally) kill them for doing so.

“Live Love Laugh”

Since: Aug 07

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#8614 Nov 23, 2012
Educated What wrote:
<quoted text>
Again who is competing with you? I don't care what you believe or don't believe, it's about people's choice. Why does it matter so much to you why people believe in God? There's nothing you can do about it. What have you done to help others?
Just as there's nothing you can do about people not believing. You come to atheist threads and throw around your religion and it doesn't wash. Then, most of the time, you get nasty.

What have you done to help others and why should that make any difference in what anyone else believes?

“Live Love Laugh”

Since: Aug 07

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#8615 Nov 23, 2012
Educated What wrote:
<quoted text>
The point is, it shouldn't matter what people believe. It shouldn't matter if you don't believe. It's the freedom of religion or from religion that is the issue. That alone is enough for all of us to choose. Why should anything else's matter?
It must matter to you. You're the one who came to an atheist thread.

“Live Love Laugh”

Since: Aug 07

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#8616 Nov 23, 2012
Educated What wrote:
<quoted text>
If you believe everything that is being posted. Most posts about religion are done by atheist and atheist are still the minority. No offense because that's not my purpose. My purpose is why should you care. That's all.
Wrong. Most posts made about religion are made by theists. Most posts made against religion are made by atheists. Most posts made for religion are made by theists.

It really is that simple.

“Live Love Laugh”

Since: Aug 07

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#8617 Nov 23, 2012
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>You're becoming tiresome.
I don't give a rat's patoot whether Hispanics are a majority.
I speak Spanish, and have no difficulty with 'em.
What "educational barrier"?
And even though I gave you a #ucking definition, you still don't know what "meiosis" is.
The educational barrier in this country is the one placed by theists who want to replace science education with ID and other such idiocy.

Religion tries to insert itself into every life in America from education to laws. THAT is why it makes a difference.

“Live Love Laugh”

Since: Aug 07

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#8618 Nov 23, 2012
Educated What wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly my point, you shouldn't care! You shouldn't care about what people believe. What's with the cussing? Isn't meiosis a special cell division? It deals with sexual reproduction. What definition did you use? Still using the educational barrier.
Yes, we should care what people believe. If it affects society negatively, then we should pay attention. Religion affects the US society in a negative way. They passed a law in KY where you can be jailed for not affirming a belief in God. That is why it matters.

“Live Love Laugh”

Since: Aug 07

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#8619 Nov 23, 2012
Educated What wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly my point, you shouldn't care! You shouldn't care about what people believe. What's with the cussing? Isn't meiosis a special cell division? It deals with sexual reproduction. What definition did you use? Still using the educational barrier.
If it shouldn't matter, why are you here arguing about it?

And why do you feel so incompetent that you mention the education barrier so often? If you don't have an education, you can start using your computer for that. Or, you can get a grant and go back to school.

First, if you are feeling inferior because you don't know what words mean in the English language, there are lots of online dictionaries. Use them.

“There are other issues.”

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#8620 Nov 23, 2012
water_nymph wrote:
<quoted text>Just as there's nothing you can do about people not believing. You come to atheist threads and throw around your religion and it doesn't wash. Then, most of the time, you get nasty.

What have you done to help others and why should that make any difference in what anyone else believes?
I don't want to, it's your right. I don't throw my religion to anyone, that's not my right. I am all about the freedom to choose but I don't need to make myself feel superior over others.

“There are other issues.”

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#8621 Nov 23, 2012
water_nymph wrote:
<quoted text>It must matter to you. You're the one who came to an atheist thread.
Assume much?

“There are other issues.”

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#8622 Nov 23, 2012
water_nymph wrote:
<quoted text>Wrong. Most posts made about religion are made by theists. Most posts made against religion are made by atheists. Most posts made for religion are made by theists.

It really is that simple.
Exactly my point thank you. Can you believe everything you see on Google? Of course not.

“There are other issues.”

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#8623 Nov 23, 2012
water_nymph wrote:
<quoted text>The educational barrier in this country is the one placed by theists who want to replace science education with ID and other such idiocy.

Religion tries to insert itself into every life in America from education to laws. THAT is why it makes a difference.
No, educational barrier is not that, it's a breakdown in communication when you think you are smarter than others.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#8625 Nov 23, 2012
Educated What wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly my point, you shouldn't care! You shouldn't care about what people believe. What's with the cussing? Isn't meiosis a special cell division? It deals with sexual reproduction. What definition did you use? Still using the educational barrier.
Next time, read all the definitions.

"Meiosis" is one of those pesky words with more than one meaning.

In this case, "Understaement for the sake of effect".

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#8626 Nov 23, 2012
water_nymph wrote:
<quoted text> Brilliant.
Ta!

:-D

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#8628 Nov 23, 2012
Educated What wrote:
<quoted text>
Forgot, neither are you or your kids. Much better. Have yourself a great day!
Well, I suppose that "headlong flight" counts as a tactic...

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#8629 Nov 23, 2012
Educated What wrote:
<quoted text>
No, educational barrier is not that, it's a breakdown in communication when you think you are smarter than others.
I think not.

Your mythical "educational barrier" exists only to those who are trying to think above their ability.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 21 min Gabriel 974,830
girls how many gangbangs have you had (Feb '15) 22 min Beverly 61
Trump is un-American... 34 min Tony 1
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 35 min Brian_G 71,020
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 35 min LAWEST100 658,877
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 45 min Brian_G 618,857
rajkot gey (Nov '15) 1 hr abc 80
Should Black People Forgive White People for Sl... (Jun '07) 1 hr gundee123 5,059
News Reason to cringe: Female voters react to Trump 5 hr Go Blue Forever 253
More from around the web