“searching myself”

Since: Sep 09

In Charming CA

#21 Dec 6, 2009
Wow, G. I'm surely not the only one with a talent for the expression of imagination. That was wonderful!

I put 'sleep well' into the translator for my wish to you last night, using Afrikaans as the 'to' language. I was sure you speak same, but not whether you prefer to. Please advise.

It is morning here, about 7:30, and the weather is almost exactly as your story describes. Gray, cold, misty. We are not ice-locked yet, but if our weather holds true to recent form, we will have at least one ice storm this year. Our trees are not looking forward to this, as they tend to break with the weight of the ice.

You may have noticed that I have written "The birds are back," on my profile page here. The birds to which I refer are a colony of 11 peach-faced lovebirds, which I understand are native to your country, and which stops here on their way to warmer climes. For the last 4 years, they have arrived just as the cold weather hits Tulsa, and they have stayed as long as 6 weeks in the trees along the NE side of the house. They are exquisite, brightly colored, and noisy. We are always amazed to see these small splashes of life and brilliance arrive, and mourn their moving on, fearful that next year they will pass up our little oasis for something less dangerous; the house next to ours is abandoned, and feral cats have multiplied over there for a couple of years. The city will not allow us to rid the neighborhood of this menace, preferring to claim that responsibility for the 'animal cop', and has set one trap in 2 years. Occasionally, my hubby will step out the back door and take a shot at one of the cats with a .22 rifle, which helps to lower the population slightly; but would get us in a peck o' trouble, were the actual cops to get wind of it. Also, we don't want the birds to get the idea that we are trying to shoot THEM, so we keep this action to a minimum.

I dearly wish there was a way for me to post pictures of these beautiful little birds on Topix, but the only thing I can do is use one of the pics I have downloaded as my avatar. I will do so after posting this missive.

This year, the colony is fewer in number by at least 3 birds,(so far the largest it has ever been is 14) but we also have noticed that there are new arrivals. Until this year, the colors on all the birds were bright green bodies, blue tailfeathers, and some purple around the tail area, with bright red spots on the cheeks. This year, we have two birds sporting a muted blue, almost a washed-out teal; white heads, and much paler cheek color. I have since learned, from research on the net, that these are referred to as 'dutch blue' lovebirds, of the same family. They are lovely, no? As the pics are so tiny when used as an avatar, you may have to go to my profile page again to get a good look at them.

See you soon.

:-)

“Uroplatus Phantasticus”

Since: Feb 08

Johannesburg, South Africa

#22 Dec 6, 2009
shovelhead72 wrote:
Wow, G. I'm surely not the only one with a talent for the expression of imagination. That was wonderful!
I put 'sleep well' into the translator for my wish to you last night, using Afrikaans as the 'to' language. I was sure you speak same, but not whether you prefer to. Please advise.
It is morning here, about 7:30, and the weather is almost exactly as your story describes. Gray, cold, misty. We are not ice-locked yet, but if our weather holds true to recent form, we will have at least one ice storm this year. Our trees are not looking forward to this, as they tend to break with the weight of the ice.
You may have noticed that I have written "The birds are back," on my profile page here. The birds to which I refer are a colony of 11 peach-faced lovebirds, which I understand are native to your country, and which stops here on their way to warmer climes. For the last 4 years, they have arrived just as the cold weather hits Tulsa, and they have stayed as long as 6 weeks in the trees along the NE side of the house. They are exquisite, brightly colored, and noisy. We are always amazed to see these small splashes of life and brilliance arrive, and mourn their moving on, fearful that next year they will pass up our little oasis for something less dangerous; the house next to ours is abandoned, and feral cats have multiplied over there for a couple of years. The city will not allow us to rid the neighborhood of this menace, preferring to claim that responsibility for the 'animal cop', and has set one trap in 2 years. Occasionally, my hubby will step out the back door and take a shot at one of the cats with a .22 rifle, which helps to lower the population slightly; but would get us in a peck o' trouble, were the actual cops to get wind of it. Also, we don't want the birds to get the idea that we are trying to shoot THEM, so we keep this action to a minimum.
I dearly wish there was a way for me to post pictures of these beautiful little birds on Topix, but the only thing I can do is use one of the pics I have downloaded as my avatar. I will do so after posting this missive.
This year, the colony is fewer in number by at least 3 birds,(so far the largest it has ever been is 14) but we also have noticed that there are new arrivals. Until this year, the colors on all the birds were bright green bodies, blue tailfeathers, and some purple around the tail area, with bright red spots on the cheeks. This year, we have two birds sporting a muted blue, almost a washed-out teal; white heads, and much paler cheek color. I have since learned, from research on the net, that these are referred to as 'dutch blue' lovebirds, of the same family. They are lovely, no? As the pics are so tiny when used as an avatar, you may have to go to my profile page again to get a good look at them.
See you soon.
LOL.... we got sun for the first time in about 2 weeks.
Glad you liked the story and I enjoyed the account of your lovebirds.
You are fortunate to see those birds..... the only lovebirds we see here are in the petshop and they are noisy arnt they. lol

“Uroplatus Phantasticus”

#23 Dec 6, 2009
shovelhead72 wrote:
See you soon.
And I have problem using Afrikaans if its something you would like.
Rather like the title you chose for the thread.
Sorry..... I meant to tell you that earlier.

“Uroplatus Phantasticus”

#24 Dec 6, 2009
That should read.... "no problem"
Who knows you might need to learn the language someday. lol

“searching myself”

In Charming CA

#25 Dec 6, 2009
I might at that: my mom's new boyfriend has lived in South Africa for 3 years. He's planning to move to Northern California, but not for a while yet. So learning Afrikaans is probably not the worst idea I ever had. Actually, I enjoy learning new languages very much, but that one will be a challenge.

Must venture back out into the cold and the wet for supplies. Glad we got to exchange stories today! Have a great one, feather-bearer; I look forward to our next encounter.
In friendship and lasciviousness,
Shovel

“searching myself”

In Charming CA

#26 Dec 6, 2009
My post about the birds, and my pics of them, should have read "uploaded," rather than "downloaded," as my husband took the pictures, and I uploaded them to my computer. Didn't want you to get the idea that I was pilfering pics of someone else's birds.
The feeder is not new, but we have built several more out of scrap wood, which we acquire from hubby's work. He is a cabinet maker, and brings home a TON of this stuff every week. How's your day (?) going.

Posted at 5:50 pm Central Standard Time.

“searching myself”

In Charming CA

#27 Dec 6, 2009
My post oor die voŽls, en my foto's van hulle, sou gelees het, "opgelaai", eerder as "afgelaai," soos my man het die foto's, en ek het dit opgelaai op my rekenaar. Wou jou die idee dat ek besig was pilfering foto's van iemand anders se voŽls te kry nie.:-) Die voerder is nie nuut, maar ons het verskeie meer uit afval hout, wat ons verkry vanaf echtgenootje se werk gebou. Hy is 'n kabinet maker, en bring' n huis TON van hierdie dinge elke week. Hoe is jou dag (?) Gaan. At 5:50 Central Standard Time.

I cheated again, of course, but it looks so COOL! I just couldn't resist.

“Uroplatus Phantasticus”

Durban, South Africa

#28 Dec 6, 2009
shovelhead72 wrote:
I might at that: my mom's new boyfriend has lived in South Africa for 3 years. He's planning to move to Northern California, but not for a while yet. So learning Afrikaans is probably not the worst idea I ever had. Actually, I enjoy learning new languages very much, but that one will be a challenge.
Must venture back out into the cold and the wet for supplies. Glad we got to exchange stories today! Have a great one, feather-bearer; I look forward to our next encounter.
In friendship and lasciviousness,
Shovel
Small world. Seems we have a few things in common.

“Uroplatus Phantasticus”

Durban, South Africa

#29 Dec 6, 2009
shovelhead72 wrote:
My post oor die voŽls, en my foto's van hulle, sou gelees het, "opgelaai", eerder as "afgelaai," soos my man het die foto's, en ek het dit opgelaai op my rekenaar. Wou jou die idee dat ek besig was pilfering foto's van iemand anders se voŽls te kry nie.:-) Die voerder is nie nuut, maar ons het verskeie meer uit afval hout, wat ons verkry vanaf echtgenootje se werk gebou. Hy is 'n kabinet maker, en bring' n huis TON van hierdie dinge elke week. Hoe is jou dag (?) Gaan. At 5:50 Central Standard Time.
I cheated again, of course, but it looks so COOL! I just couldn't resist.
That put a smile on my face..........love it!
Hmm.... I am so very tempted to to put a thought..."ahem"... into words here but I shall resist the temptation just in case some other "cleva bugga" just happens to have a translator and/or tame Afrikaaner close to hand.

“Uroplatus Phantasticus”

Durban, South Africa

#30 Dec 6, 2009
shovelhead72 wrote:
My post about the birds, and my pics of them, should have read "uploaded," rather than "downloaded," as my husband took the pictures, and I uploaded them to my computer. Didn't want you to get the idea that I was pilfering pics of someone else's birds.
The feeder is not new, but we have built several more out of scrap wood, which we acquire from hubby's work. He is a cabinet maker, and brings home a TON of this stuff every week. How's your day (?) going.
Posted at 5:50 pm Central Standard Time.
Ek sal noit van Maandag hou nie. Ek hou ook van motorfiets te ry. Ek het op n tyd drie gehad en ook in hospitaal beland vir twee maande.
Damn I'm rusty!

“searching myself”

In Charming CA

#31 Dec 7, 2009
Okay, G. What I got from that was:
"Happy Monday. I also like to ride motorcycles. I used to have three of them, but one put me in the hospital." Was I close?

If not, would you assist me in getting...ahem...closer?
Have a great day / evening,(still haven't figured out this damnable time thing) G. I hope your sunny weather continues. Ours is still crappy, but nevertheless, I must venture forth yet again to labor in the land of lost children.

Speaking of which, how is ACP doing since we moved over here?

“searching myself”

In Charming CA

#32 Dec 7, 2009
On second thought, nevermind him; he's on his own, where I'm sure he's quite content. See you later, feather-bearer. I await your next missive with curiosity and pleasure!!

Shovel.

“Uroplatus Phantasticus”

Durban, South Africa

#33 Dec 7, 2009
shovelhead72 wrote:
"Happy Monday. I also like to ride motorcycles. I used to have three of them, but one put me in the hospital." Was I close?
Have a great day / evening,(still haven't figured out this damnable time thing) G. I hope your sunny weather continues. Ours is still crappy, but nevertheless, I must venture forth yet again to labor in the land of lost children.
Umm.. no that means I hate Mondays and I have had 3 bikes, But nice try. Are you sure you're not from around here?
Its 17:00 on the nose. How many hours are you behind New York?

“Uroplatus Phantasticus”

Durban, South Africa

#34 Dec 7, 2009
shovelhead72 wrote:
Have had tree of them over time and also ended up in hospital for 2 months.

So now I'm curious to hear you speaking Afrikaans! lol

“Uroplatus Phantasticus”

Durban, South Africa

#35 Dec 7, 2009
shovelhead72 wrote:
On second thought, nevermind him; he's on his own, where I'm sure he's quite content. See you later, feather-bearer. I await your next missive with curiosity and pleasure!!
Shovel.
Ok,.........soon!

“Uroplatus Phantasticus”

Durban, South Africa

#36 Dec 7, 2009
shovelhead72 wrote:
Stay dry, stay warm and take care out there.

“Uroplatus Phantasticus”

Durban, South Africa

#37 Dec 7, 2009
shovelhead72 wrote:
Take a deep breath, let it out and let it go.. would be my advice if I was qualified to give such advice.

Was watching a great movie on Sunday .........."Shadowlands " was the title, with Anthony Hopkins in the lead role. Great movie.
"I read to know I am not alone" is a line from the movie that I cannot get out of my head.

“Uroplatus Phantasticus”

Durban, South Africa

#38 Dec 7, 2009
Take a look at the pic. to the left and you will see one of the bikes with the feather bearer in the background.
Taken around 1982 at my future in-laws place.
This wasnt the bike that tried to kill me.
Sold it a few years later to pay for curtains!

“searching myself”

In Charming CA

#39 Dec 7, 2009
geko wrote:
<quoted text>
Take a deep breath, let it out and let it go.. would be my advice if I was qualified to give such advice.
Was watching a great movie on Sunday .........."Shadowlands " was the title, with Anthony Hopkins in the lead role. Great movie.
"I read to know I am not alone" is a line from the movie that I cannot get out of my head.
Can't think of anyone more qualified to tell me to get over it!!

:)

You're a good friend, feather bearer. I appreciate your grounded-ness.
I agree that "Shadowlands" is an excellent film; also LOVE Sir Anthony Hopkins, who in my opinion is one of the finest actors alive.

Today was cold: a 'tit-bit nipply' to be precise. Not complaining, mind you; I prefer cold to hot, when it comes to weather. One can always add more layers, but it's difficult to shed them when in public!!

(ahem!!)I'll have to find a pic of myself somewhere on this clunky machine to post for your viewing pleasure. I will dig around.

Til then, I look forward to further communication with you!

“searching myself”

In Charming CA

#40 Dec 7, 2009
geko wrote:
<quoted text>
Have had three of them over time and also ended up in hospital for 2 months.
So now I'm curious to hear you speaking Afrikaans! lol
As am I curious to hear YOU speaking it, aloud anyway. I adore the accent, and mine is getting twangy living in this state, where 'ya'll' is commonplace. Not fond of that. I'd like my speech to be crisper, but I've lived here a LONG time.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 1 min It aint necessari... 750,694
Are NFL teams....LYING about why they don't wan... 2 min Doctor REALITY 26
Appjoy invite code (Apr '14) 10 min Cable989 109
Why do BLACK People hate Mexicans so much? (Dec '13) 10 min yon 555
John Paul II HS. Chili Supper 16 min jpiicatholichs 1
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 17 min Liam 548,659
The REAL reason Oscar Pistorius was sent straig... 17 min Doctor REALITY 4
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 56 min Dr_Zorderz 261,670
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 1 hr dr Shrink 602,176
Have any girls on here had sex with a dog??? (Feb '12) 1 hr chevyguy 127

Top Stories People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE