The Dark Side of Teen Goths

There are 2108 comments on the ABC News story from Apr 13, 2006, titled The Dark Side of Teen Goths. In it, ABC News reports that:

A Study Shows This Social Group Is More at Risk for Self-Harm, Suicide Kids who said they were "goths" had a much higher history of self-harm and suicide, according to a new survey of U.K. youths.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at ABC News.

Since: Oct 08

Location hidden

#2276 Jan 27, 2009
Groovyghoulie wrote:
<quoted text>
I consider myself Metal (if anything), which can be darker than dark. Not including a natural "dark", kind of "gather darkness at will", paint it black, and live in the dark mentality.
Also, even though some people I knew and considered true (not fake), did 180's, I still feel strongly about not changing face and keeping true to yourself (if that is what you "really" are).That doesn't mean I have to walk around 24/7 with a sword or something.
I find that people who truly call themselves goth tend to not always think dark but sometimes with fiercer emotion or are more open with things. Sometimes I wonder why the perception of reality is to bad to be shone upon.

“Nice Gloomy, Spooky Day”

Since: Apr 07

Uniondale , NY (Nassau Cty)

#2277 Jan 27, 2009
NotagothSyn wrote:
<quoted text>
I find that people who truly call themselves goth tend to not always think dark but sometimes with fiercer emotion or are more open with things. Sometimes I wonder why the perception of reality is to bad to be shone upon.
For some, too ahead of its time. You're right, not necessarily dark but, maybe, deep. I can vouch for the strong emotion and out of the box casualness. Things just are and I just am. If that happens to be over the top and beyond what the norm is, well so be it:)
Casey Strain

Janesville, WI

#2278 May 18, 2009
Most teen "goths" not even goths. THE CURE is a goth band. lol
The main problem is with bands being heavily confused as goth like Marilyn Manson and Cradle of Filth. Goth is an off shoot of punk rock.
If there is any reason at all for all the bad and wrong doings in the world. Blame the Christians and the Jews. It says in the bible that women must remain silent in Church and that they should "submit" themselves to men upon request.
In the Jewish bible written by Rabbhi's (The Talmond?) it says that Rabbhi's can have sex with little children if they so wish to.
Whos the bigger problem causer here?
Goth is punk rock. You let your kids listen to mainstream punk bands liek Avril Laveinge, Good Charlette and such? You're contributing to your problem with your own ignorance.
What other musical genres and prominent bands are wrongly confused with Goth?
Genres:
• Gothic Metal
• Black Metal
• Death Metal
• Nu-Metal
• Industrial
• EBM
• Synthpop
• Futurepop
• "Emo"
• Pagan/Folk Metal
• Symphonic Metal
• Symphonic Power Metal
• Dark Ambient
• Visual Kei
Bands: HIM, A Perfect Circle, Dimmu Borgir, AFI, Combichrist, Lacuna Coil, Moonspell, Nightwish, Wumpscut, Evanescence, Marilyn Manson, Cradle of Filth, Slipknot, Korn, Emilie Autumn, Andrew W.K., Children of Bodom, Good Charlotte, Hatebreed, Jack Off Jill, In Flames, Kittie, KoRn, Linkin Park, Ministry, Morbid Angel, Mudvayne, Murderdolls, My Chemical Romance, Nine Inch Nails, Nirvana, Rammstein, Rasputina, Razed In Black, Skinny Puppy, Tool, VNV Nation, Wednesday 13, Deathstars,...
What is a Goth?
A Goth is someone that loves Gothic music. He/she will probably also like other types of music. But he/she will certainly love Goth music. Many Goths express their love for this genre by dressing a certain way.
But wasn't Goth a way or life or even a religion?
I'm afraid not, except for a preference for Goth music every Goth is different. They are all individuals that live in their own unique way. And Goth certainly isn't a religion. Their are no beliefs or ideals attached to the subculture. Many Goths are in fact part of a religion allready which has nothing to do with being a Goth.
Why didn't I know this yet?
You have been lied to by the media who is mostly ignorant about the subject. In the 80s everyone knew perfectly well what Goth was, even the media. Cause the music and subculture was as good as mainstream for a period. In the 90s when Goth went back underground the trouble started. The media started to confuse Goth with other dark themed music. Or even with anything dark like Vampirism, Satanism and schoolshootings. Because of that most people today stay completly ignorant of what Goth is. Fortunately you stumbled across one of the few reliable sources here.

“Gaurdian Winters”

Since: Oct 07

Cape Town, Durbanville

#2279 May 20, 2009
Casey Strain wrote:
Most teen "goths" not even goths. THE CURE is a goth band. lol
The main problem is with bands being heavily confused as goth like Marilyn Manson and Cradle of Filth. Goth is an off shoot of punk rock.
If there is any reason at all for all the bad and wrong doings in the world. Blame the Christians and the Jews. It says in the bible that women must remain silent in Church and that they should "submit" themselves to men upon request.
In the Jewish bible written by Rabbhi's (The Talmond?) it says that Rabbhi's can have sex with little children if they so wish to.
Whos the bigger problem causer here?
Goth is punk rock. You let your kids listen to mainstream punk bands liek Avril Laveinge, Good Charlette and such? You're contributing to your problem with your own ignorance.
What other musical genres and prominent bands are wrongly confused with Goth?
Genres:
• Gothic Metal
• Black Metal
• Death Metal
• Nu-Metal
• Industrial
• EBM
• Synthpop
• Futurepop
• "Emo"
• Pagan/Folk Metal
• Symphonic Metal
• Symphonic Power Metal
• Dark Ambient
• Visual Kei
Bands: HIM, A Perfect Circle, Dimmu Borgir, AFI, Combichrist, Lacuna Coil, Moonspell, Nightwish, Wumpscut, Evanescence, Marilyn Manson, Cradle of Filth, Slipknot, Korn, Emilie Autumn, Andrew W.K., Children of Bodom, Good Charlotte, Hatebreed, Jack Off Jill, In Flames, Kittie, KoRn, Linkin Park, Ministry, Morbid Angel, Mudvayne, Murderdolls, My Chemical Romance, Nine Inch Nails, Nirvana, Rammstein, Rasputina, Razed In Black, Skinny Puppy, Tool, VNV Nation, Wednesday 13, Deathstars,...
What is a Goth?
A Goth is someone that loves Gothic music. He/she will probably also like other types of music. But he/she will certainly love Goth music. Many Goths express their love for this genre by dressing a certain way.
But wasn't Goth a way or life or even a religion?
I'm afraid not, except for a preference for Goth music every Goth is different. They are all individuals that live in their own unique way. And Goth certainly isn't a religion. Their are no beliefs or ideals attached to the subculture. Many Goths are in fact part of a religion allready which has nothing to do with being a Goth.
Why didn't I know this yet?
You have been lied to by the media who is mostly ignorant about the subject. In the 80s everyone knew perfectly well what Goth was, even the media. Cause the music and subculture was as good as mainstream for a period. In the 90s when Goth went back underground the trouble started. The media started to confuse Goth with other dark themed music. Or even with anything dark like Vampirism, Satanism and schoolshootings. Because of that most people today stay completly ignorant of what Goth is. Fortunately you stumbled across one of the few reliable sources here.
I will only agree on one part with you.
The trouble did start up when most of us went under again, secondly no one is to blamed for who is more wrong and last is a sad fact if i may say so, but believe, The True Nature of Goth is slowly being lost somewhere along the line and if We the Goths dont stand up for it and show what we really are we will forever be labeled Incorrectly, honestly...
But then again if you look at South Africa for example the Afrikaans and English white's cant even stand together, so how can any other culture or country, simple, it is human to fight and disagree, simply put unite or die slowly.

“Gaurdian Winters”

Since: Oct 07

Cape Town, Durbanville

#2280 May 20, 2009
And i'll be damned b4 i let Goth Die, even if there remains only one, so be it, it will never die!
Scarlet

Alliston, Canada

#2281 Jul 3, 2009
Miles wrote:
Maybe they have a history of suicide and all that other stuff becuz of us. the people that always give them shit for it, prsonaly im on both sides i just wish we could all get along. thank you.
I agree. But most of us goths don't think of hurting ourselves. Being goth is just our sense of stlye, we're stereotyped as hating the world be being rude. Sereously, we are just rude to the preps & people who think they're better than us. So ease off.

“xcntrik.wordpres s.com”

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#2282 Jul 3, 2009
Oh, so goth isn't a game where you use a bent stick to knock a little ball across the yard into a hole?

Man am I ever embarrassed now.
Vinnie

Andover, UK

#2283 Oct 29, 2009
HAHA this makes me laugh. im a goth.. a teenage goth. im probobly the most happiest person, thats ever lived, im a christian and im a faithful believe of God.. add that one to being a goth.
Its ridiculous, goths are not depressed.. that is only individual feelings. The fact that people call goths things like satanists, abductors, suicidals, depressing people and so forth, actually makes me choke in laughter. seriously.. lets be a little bit more realistic.

Pathetic Hobos
amanda

United States

#2285 Dec 17, 2009
Goths are not messed up teens. That is so ignorant to say. I'm a goth and a christian. Now here's some advice do NOT judge people by their appearance. You can't judge people. You don't know all goths. If you don't know them, you can't judge them.
amanda

United States

#2286 Dec 17, 2009
Listen to Vinnie. Thank you. Vinnie is right.
amanda

United States

#2287 Dec 17, 2009
God would not want anyone judging or being rude to goths or anyone."The clique must die.The clique mortality is not Christianity."

“There is no such thing”

Since: May 08

as a reasonable person

#2288 Dec 17, 2009
HaHAHa

Since: Nov 09

Location hidden

#2289 Dec 18, 2009
manda poo wrote:
<quoted text>
hey you idiot, if they kill theirselves how are they going to get your attention, dumbass!!!! and if you weren't to busy stuck on yourself you would understand that!!!! NOW BACK OFF!!
Um, statistically most "suicide attempts" made by these teens are unsuccessful...

To me, being "Gothic" is just a dressing style for the most part. They're just like the Gap kids, but they shop at Hot Topic instead.

All teenagers are depressed. You don't have to have dyed black hair and piercings to be depressed.
phantomraven

United States

#2290 Apr 11, 2010
goth is a state of mind not a fashion statement you aholes that keep saying us goths are trying to kill our selfs are asez come on really we do what we do because we are we not anyone else

Since: Oct 08

Location hidden

#2291 Apr 12, 2010
Commonly, I guess it can refer to one of three things: music, lifestyle, and fashion, though it is not seen as proper to designate one's self as goth based purely on their manner of dress, and most goths do not publicly proclaim themselves as such anyway.
The gothic subculture tends to have a particular reputation because so many of the people who choose to label themselves in juvenille or melodramatic behavior that they feel "is goth" but may be act in society that is slightly offbeat.

Musically, it refers to an alternate form of rock that first developed in the late 70's as a post-punk form of music. This early, guitar driven form of goth is commonly called "death rock". The guitars often serve as an ambient rather than melodic instrument, drumming tends to be dance oriented and the vocals are often somewhat haunting or distant. Lyrics deal heavily with introspection, nilhilism and the occult, though most assume it deals strictly with satanism. Many gothic bands mix industrial elements into their music, leading some to believe that all industrial music is gothic. Common bands associatdd with the term include The Cure, Bahaus, 45 Grave, Sisters of Mercy, Joy Division, etc.

Lifestyle-wise, there doesn't appear to be a lifestyle that all gothics follow, though some seem to share similar characteristics, which can include an interest in occultist themes, poetry, religion, introspection, gothic literature (which was written some time during the Victorian Era), folklore, etc. Most gothics are known for regularly attending dance clubs that play gothic and industrial music, and some are also known for their interest in the S&M culture.

Fashion-wise, there tends to be a lot of accessories, and the most common of which are victorian/medieval inspired (velvet and lace, pirate shirts, corsets, etc.), bondage inspired (slave bracelets, chokers, large boots, fishnet and mesh clothing, clothing made out of PVC, leather, rubber, latex or vinyl), or punk inspired (bondage pants, leather jackets, spiked or studded jewelry). Gothics have a tenendency to wear mostly black, though sometimes white or red, and have their hair dyed, usually purple or jet black (the hair is also stylized in a certain fashion, usually mushroomed out like Robert Smith of The Cutre, dreadlocked, or black with bangs like Emily (the mascot for a line of products of the same name), or other similar, outlandish designs. There is also a tendency for theatrical-style make-up (white foundation with black emphasis around the eyes and sometimes mouth). Goth fashion is sometimes mistaken for the on-stage presence of black metal groups.
Cassandra

Lansing, IL

#2292 Apr 18, 2010
Hello, I would just like to say that Im considered a "goth" bacuase of how i dress (corsets, black clothing, tripp pants etc.) and because of my makeup and who i hangout with but, just because im a goth dosnt make me a bad person. I have a lot of friends that are considered preps pr gangster and im not depressed or trying to kill myself i dont self harm eathier, I dress the way i do because i like how i look i hang with the people i do because they are good people not because they fit into a certain click. I like the darker asspects of life because they interest me, we dont call doctors freaks because they are interested in human atamony. I dont care what im called, call me a freak all you want it just proves that im a better person in the end. dont judge people on how they look but on who they are and what they are like, not all "goths" are bad people, some may surprise you and be just as normal as any other person.

Since: Feb 09

I'm just sayin'

#2293 Apr 18, 2010

"Suicide Kids who said they were "goths" had a much higher history of self-harm and suicide."

Are we really sure we're not talking about emos? There IS a difference.
someone to love

Dallas, TX

#2294 Aug 15, 2010
Kai wrote:
Just to ask, you call them gothic why? Because of their clothing. But have you ever thought what they could be going through? Torment at home? Relationship problems? Illesses they may have? I don't think so. They wear black to hide themselves, not wanting to burden others with their pain, I know, I am the same. I have problems at home that I don't want to talk about, so I hide. Just think back to a hard time in your life, didn't you want to kill yourself? I know I did, every time I think about those times. But those who want them to "Kill themselves because we don't need those freaks" are in actual fact freaks themselves. We all are freaks compared to one another. Your wives, your children, your husbands, your parents, your friends. They are all freaks, all different compared to you. So stop telling us to kill ourselves, we get enough of it from ourselves as it is, we don't need you encouraging us.
im jt like you someone who lives alone in a world that doesnt quite understand!
someone to love

Dallas, TX

#2295 Aug 15, 2010
i see how these so call my friends say to me how could ur mother let u come out the house like dat? how my peps always junge me for how i like to dress? i mean i cut to let the pain bleed out bt sumtimes i jt wonder if my parents and my friends will ever c how i am for how i act bt will any one jt be my love? cuss im jt someone to love!!

Since: Feb 09

I'm just sayin'

#2296 Aug 15, 2010
Dummy...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 12 min Rosa_Winkel 979,415
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 40 min Rosa_Winkel 445,568
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 43 min Rosa_Winkel 92,594
Gay men sleeping with women and men is unaccept... 2 hr I no wat I no 1
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 2 hr truth 286,007
Israel End is Near (Feb '15) 2 hr MUQ2 1,090
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 4 hr truth 667,730
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 5 hr bad bob 183,620
More from around the web