Car bomb explodes near KFC in NW Pakistan

A car bomb exploded Saturday near a KFC fast-food restaurant in Pakistan's main northwestern city, killing at least three people and leaving others trapped in a blazing building where many lawyers have offices, officials said. Full Story

Since: Jan 07

Location hidden

#1 Dec 5, 2009
A KFC in Pakistan? Not enough we bomb them, we have to poison them too?

Fill Pakistan with US fast food joints and make them too obese and lazy to be terrorists.

“O'er the land of the free ? ”

Since: Jan 09

Don't Tread On Me

#3 Dec 5, 2009
Is the drive-thru still open ?
Doc Ock

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#4 Dec 5, 2009
Obama will have to choose between Pakistan and National Healthcare. He can't have both and do either one of them justice. Unfortunately, his eye is on re-election, not necessarily doing anything else right.

We have blown national support for defending OUR nation from wild-eyed Muslims with dreams of restoring a long-dead empire. Yet it is the ONLY issue on the national table worth consideration.

The drones are useless military tools, at least in this theater. But let's look at the real objective.

Pakistan has a nuclear arsenal, a weak government, and is surrounded by politically motivated dogs hungry for that arsenal. How the world's so-called Superpowers allowed Pakistan to become nuclear is the subject for a 60-Minutes piece, meanwhile the bombs are there and the worst people in the world want them, and will use them if they can.

That is the ONLY reason for being in Afghanistan. The ONLY solution, short or long-term, is to take the nukes OUT of Pakistan and lower real estate values there. There is no way for US soldiers to prevail against the Taliban militarily, and there is no value to the West to bring democracy to this ancient tribal country. It means nothing to them.

Shock and Awe work against opponents who have political capital--the Taliban have none. Military casualties have an effect against an enemy who values individual lives; the Taliban do not. Winning a military struggle against an opponent who has no flag flying above a capital is a fruitless but very expensive exercise in futility.

If the UN forces can't REMOVE what it is that the Taliban are actually fighting for, they, we are committed to endless and unpopular street fights for years. And in the end, the nuclear torch will be passed, one way or another. Pretending that this is not the real issue is pointless.

“It's 420 here.”

Since: Jun 07

cold comfort farm

#5 Dec 5, 2009
Doc Ock wrote:
Obama will have to choose between Pakistan and National Healthcare. He can't have both and do either one of them justice. Unfortunately, his eye is on re-election, not necessarily doing anything else right.
We have blown national support for defending OUR nation from wild-eyed Muslims with dreams of restoring a long-dead empire. Yet it is the ONLY issue on the national table worth consideration.
The drones are useless military tools, at least in this theater. But let's look at the real objective.
Pakistan has a nuclear arsenal, a weak government, and is surrounded by politically motivated dogs hungry for that arsenal. How the world's so-called Superpowers allowed Pakistan to become nuclear is the subject for a 60-Minutes piece, meanwhile the bombs are there and the worst people in the world want them, and will use them if they can.
That is the ONLY reason for being in Afghanistan. The ONLY solution, short or long-term, is to take the nukes OUT of Pakistan and lower real estate values there. There is no way for US soldiers to prevail against the Taliban militarily, and there is no value to the West to bring democracy to this ancient tribal country. It means nothing to them.
Shock and Awe work against opponents who have political capital--the Taliban have none. Military casualties have an effect against an enemy who values individual lives; the Taliban do not. Winning a military struggle against an opponent who has no flag flying above a capital is a fruitless but very expensive exercise in futility.
If the UN forces can't REMOVE what it is that the Taliban are actually fighting for, they, we are committed to endless and unpopular street fights for years. And in the end, the nuclear torch will be passed, one way or another. Pretending that this is not the real issue is pointless.
Many administrations have ignored the Pakistan issue. Check out Adrian Levy's book on Pakistan, America and deception.
Matrix

Delanson, NY

#6 Dec 6, 2009
KFC in Pakistan?,maybe it stands for krunchy fried camel. I guess it only makes sence with the Taliban always on the move they don't have time for a home cooked meal so fast food is their only option.
Khan from Islamabd

Islamabad, Pakistan

#7 Dec 6, 2009
So-called Superpowers also allowed Indian to get nuclear.

US army in Afghanistan has to learn from Pakistan army for peace in Afghanistan, US troops are weeping about deaths.Pakistan army has suffered 1900 deaths in Swat and Wazaristan offense (More then US+NATO deaths in Afghanistan).If US troops have no courage then run away from Afghanistan.
Militancy in Pakistan started after US invasion of Afghanistan.US is totally responsible for terrorism in Pakistan.
Khan from Islamabd

Islamabad, Pakistan

#8 Dec 6, 2009
Doc Ock wrote:
Pakistan has a nuclear arsenal, a weak government, and is surrounded by politically motivated dogs hungry for that arsenal. How the world's so-called Superpowers allowed Pakistan to become nuclear is the subject for a 60-Minutes piece, meanwhile the bombs are there and the worst people in the world want them, and will use them if they can.
That is the ONLY reason for being in Afghanistan. The ONLY solution, short or long-term, is to take the nukes OUT of Pakistan and lower real estate values there. There is no way for US soldiers to prevail against the Taliban militarily, and there is no value to the West to bring democracy to this ancient tribal country. It means nothing to them.
Weak government due to US interference in Pakistan but Pakistan has strong army 6th largest in fact.
Why not Pakistan take out US arsenal who is transferring now to India also.
US is using Afghanistan a base to interface and funding militancy in region, so called war is totally drama.
Just Saying

Springhill, Canada

#9 Dec 6, 2009
All jokes aside you really have to look at it this way...radical islamists are so mad at the west, hate the west so much, they had to bomb a fast food chicken place. Fried chicken is such a threat??..lol

Anyways, I also don't know if "radical islamists" is the right word anymore. I heard a security expert say that 90% of Pakistan are against the west and another very high percentage like the taliban.

No wonder India looks at Pakistan as a sh*t disturbing group of people. Pakistan is responsible for bombings in India. The taliban hide in Pakistan, Pakistan is a haven for terrorists, etc etc...we should just bomb Pakistan flat to the ground immediately.

Since: Nov 09

Location hidden

#10 Dec 7, 2009
Just Saying wrote:
All jokes aside you really have to look at it this way...radical islamists are so mad at the west, hate the west so much, they had to bomb a fast food chicken place. Fried chicken is such a threat??..lol
Anyways, I also don't know if "radical islamists" is the right word anymore. I heard a security expert say that 90% of Pakistan are against the west and another very high percentage like the taliban.
No wonder India looks at Pakistan as a sh*t disturbing group of people. Pakistan is responsible for bombings in India. The taliban hide in Pakistan, Pakistan is a haven for terrorists, etc etc...we should just bomb Pakistan flat to the ground immediately.
Sounds logical; feels satisfying, but unfortunatly it is simply not feasible to literally flatten anything large enough to really make a difference.(Think Tora-Bora... the biggest explosives in the US arsonal couldn't take out an area a few miles square.)

Nope, we're stuck with diplomacy and/or leveraging other countries to take care of this themselves, along with our with military technology and intelligence(?).
Khan from Islamabd

Pakistan

#11 Dec 8, 2009
US is using Afghanistan as base to destabilize region especially Pakistan.There was no Taliban in Pakistan before US invasion of Afghanistan.
TTP Financier

India

#12 Dec 8, 2009
TTP was created when our Brather & Sisters were killed by Napak Army in Lal Mazid.

Since: Nov 09

Location hidden

#17 Dec 8, 2009
Khan from Islamabd wrote:
US is using Afghanistan as base to destabilize region especially Pakistan.There was no Taliban in Pakistan before US invasion of Afghanistan.
Khan,

IMHO, all countries act in their own self interest. Sometimes that is financial; some times ideological; some times as required by treaty. Do we disagree about this?

So, assuming every country is to some extent self-serving - how does a destabiliized Pakistan (or Afghanistan) serve the US?

So, what's in it for the US to destabilize Pakistan?

Do you think the US is concerned the nuclear arsonal will get into the wrong hands.(I do.) If so, wouldn't the US want the utmost stability?(Who wouldn't? Why?)

Re the Taliban ... I think this is a movement that is fueled by two things:(1) Devotion to radical Islaam and (2)rabid hatred for all things Western, especially the USA. It is characterized (in part) by mobility, which is a feature of any international movement. So, the fact of its appearance in one country or another is more a function of immediate pressures and mobility than it is some Western strategic goal.

What do you think, and why do you think it?

Cheers,

SoPas

PS:

An example of mis-applying US motives: "The US invaded Iraq for the oil." That's just doesn't add up. Between the out-right cost of the war (billions & billions) plus the increased cost of oil ... the US could have simply bought up all the oil before hand; saved a bundle of money; and saved lives. Whatever else the real motive was - it wasn't to steal the oil.
I know you very well

Guangdong, China

#18 Dec 8, 2009
They thought KFC sells nude american chicks
tariq

Muscat, Oman

#20 Aug 24, 2013
Tarif

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 2 min An NFL Fan 119,198
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 9 min lil whispers 603,545
gay snapchat 16 min Gbs 3
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 21 min Dally Mama 763,768
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 51 min HipGnosis 175,022
Moses never existed 54 min Hidingfromyou 529
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 1 hr Michael 554,708
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 2 hr Rick in Kansas 263,400

Top Stories People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE