Which is the Oldest Indian Language? ...
shruti

Bangalore, India

#1761 Dec 14, 2013
Will Durant, American historian: "India was the motherland of our race, and Sanskrit the mother of Europe's languages: she was the mother of our philosophy; mother, through the Arabs, of much of our mathematics; mother, through the Buddha, of the ideals embodied in Christianity; mother, through the village community, of self-government and democracy. Mother India is in many ways the mother of us all".
Mark Twain, American author: "India is, the cradle of the human race, the birthplace of human speech, the mother of history, the grandmother of legend, and the great grand mother of tradition. our most valuable and most instructive materials in the history of man are treasured up in India only."
Albert Einstein, American scientist: "We owe a lot to the Indians, who taught us how to count, without which no worthwhile scientific discovery could have been made."
Max Mueller, German scholar: If I were asked under what sky the human mind has most fully developed some of its choicest gifts, has most deeply pondered on the greatest problems of life, and has found solutions, I should point to India.
Romain Rolland, French scholar : "If there is one place on the face of earth where all the dreams of living men have found a home from the very earliest days when man began the dream of existence, it is India."
Henry David Thoreau, American Thinker & Author: Whenever I have read any part of the Vedas, I have felt that some unearthly and unknown light illuminated me. In the great teaching of the Vedas, there is no touch of sectarianism. It is of all ages, climbs, and nationalities and is the royal road for the attainment of the Great Knowledge. When I read it, I feel that I am under the spangled heavens of a summer night.
R.W. Emerson, American Author: In the great books of India, an empire spoke to us, nothing small or unworthy, but large, serene, consistent, the voice of an old intelligence, which in another age and climate had pondered and thus disposed of the questions that exercise us.
Hu Shih, former Ambassador of China to USA: "India conquered and dominated China culturally for 20 centuries without ever having to send a single soldier across her border."
Keith Bellows, National Geographic Society : "There are some parts of the world that, once visited, get into your heart and won't go. For me, India is such a place. When I first visited, I was stunned by the richness of the land, by its lush beauty and exotic architecture, by its ability to overload the senses with the pure, concentrated intensity of its colors, smells, tastes, and sounds... I had been seeing the world in black & white and, when brought face-to-face with India, experienced everything re-rendered in brilliant technicolor."
A Rough Guide to India: "It is impossible not to be astonished by India. Nowhere on Earth does humanity present itself in such a dizzying, creative burst of cultures and religions, races and tongues. Enriched by successive waves of migration and marauders from distant lands, every one of them left an indelible imprint which was absorbed into the Indian way of life. Every aspect of the country presents itself on a massive, exaggerated scale, worthy in comparison only to the superlative mountains that overshadow it. It is this variety which provides a breathtaking ensemble for experiences that is uniquely Indian. Perhaps the only thing more difficult than to be indifferent to India would be to describe or understand India completely. There are perhaps very few nations in the world with the enormous variety that India has to offer. Modern day India represents the largest democracy in the world with a seamless picture of unity in diversity unparalleled anywhere else."
shruti

Bangalore, India

#1762 Dec 14, 2013
India has shown the world light through her knowledge embeded in vedas, upnishads and geeta. and we have more than 400 languages in our country or even more than that not even language different cultures too. But where we all unite is our values and thought. so do you really think that a mere thing language can divide us. In vedas and geeta it is not beautiful because of the language but the knowledge. Language is just a medium of communicating the thought. Ok one question if I abuse you in tamil and appreciate you in sanskrit, which one you like to hear? Language is a medium to express thought but what you think is more important. A good movie you watch even if you dont know the language with subtitles on and you enjoy it also. so here more than language your thoughts are important. So please give importance to thought than language. After all we all are Human race so stop differentiating and fighting. lets be united by heart and feelings than anything else.
Shanti

Bradford, Canada

#1763 Dec 14, 2013
Chaste Hindu wrote:
<quoted text>
A piece of advice, don't study your white skinned history. Ok, aryan invader..
Chaste hindPOO
Have you been diligent in your use of fair and handsome? Do you notice any changes in your skin? Please make sure you soak upside down with your head in the toilet full of Fair and handsome. With your butt sticking out in the air so your husband can service you. Okay?
Mudaliar

Bangalore, India

#1764 Dec 14, 2013
Shruti

Excellent recapitulation and compilation of Euro Greek centrism,being repeated time and again to disrupt our real history. The question of Sanskrit and Tamil are from ages is accepted by all but reluctunt to give the true historic element Of Tamil,Is it just because Tamil lost all literary records by floods?And whatever available, west is not recognizing as historical records but for imagination of poets and pundits.We all know that there are are thousands of languages existed dead and alive. Are we are not interested in digging out the distorted ,vicious and poisonous injected in our original scripts and Also the whole European and Missionaries game plan to destroy of our past.There were periods of different languages domination depending upon royal patronage and a influential literate . The question is whether Tamil sangams ,all three existed or not? The question that first Sangam characters are having historical value or not and when and how west will recognize?Coming to some specifics is the grammar of Panini is not written in Sanskrit and for Sanskrit? What was the language of Grammar written by Indiran? whether Tholkapiar and Panini were contemporaries? Who were the 64 grammarians? lived during which period?I am leaving out mythological character Agastiyiar,because there could be a possibility of several Agastiyars in the past..But at least can we give to give credit that Tamil and Sankrit were mastered by Agsthiyar .and the first Grammar Agasthiyam is totally lost .Who was Mudu Kudumi. Peruvazhdi?Who was arya padai venra pandian? and when he conquered the aryans? What is the difference between those aryans continuously referred in Tamil old literatures and the European and German defined Aryans?Is there any justification that Sanskrit birth place was Ethiopa and Ethiopians feels that due credit was not given to them. Mayan civilization calender similarity ours leads to what? Was Sumerians^ language was a proto Tamil and Accadian civilization used Sanskrit words?
I am not expecting a quick fix solutions but at least this forum try to build constructive arguments and define them with timelines.Otherwise I presume that Elepahant description by blind people will only be repeated time and again..I sincerely hope that learned from different fields contribute and educate for those who want to be educated.
jacob tirunelveli

Bangalore, India

#1765 Dec 15, 2013
shruti wrote:
India has shown the world light through her knowledge embeded in vedas, upnishads and geeta. and we have more than 400 languages in our country or even more than that not even language different cultures too. But where we all unite is our values and thought. so do you really think that a mere thing language can divide us. In vedas and geeta it is not beautiful because of the language but the knowledge. Language is just a medium of communicating the thought. Ok one question if I abuse you in tamil and appreciate you in sanskrit, which one you like to hear? Language is a medium to express thought but what you think is more important. A good movie you watch even if you dont know the language with subtitles on and you enjoy it also. so here more than language your thoughts are important. So please give importance to thought than language. After all we all are Human race so stop differentiating and fighting. lets be united by heart and feelings than anything else.
Sruthi you are going out of the subject. here we are not fighting . we are proving which is the oldest language. iam a tamilan and and want my mother language the rspect she deserve. if you are really a patriotic indian and speak about unity, then you should have raised your voice against the government when they killed tamils in srilanka. dont try to foll everyone with your stupid words. we know about india and we are patriot thats why india is growing stronger and stronger even the congress men try to split and rule us. iam speaking for tamil. iam not speaking against india. first understand the topic. your name itself is a tamil word sruthi in sanskrit. suruthi in tamil su(hot,energy)+uru(structure,d imension)+thi(state) suruthi is the structural state of energy. please split your name and try to mean it in sanskrit.
abirox02

Coventry, UK

#1766 Dec 15, 2013
i think sanskrit is older, i speak tamil and i'am learning Sanskrit at the moment (its quite hard) tamil is my mother language and sanskrit is older because the hindu gods language is normally sanskrit and the priest talk in sanskrit when they talk to god.
Mudaliar

Bangalore, India

#1767 Dec 15, 2013
Do the priests talk with Vedic Sanskrit or classical Sanskrit ,Does Tamil nadu Sanskrit scholors agree to folow Panini ? Why Kerala Sanskrit schlors ,now hardly 2percent of population is crdeited for age old legacy.Is it true that Europeans hired some south and maharashtra schlors , Incuding Kashmiri pundits to inject poisons in vedic scripts , so that we are now the product of Macaulay education. Since you ate tamil ,try to undrstand the unique Grammar of Tholkappiam .And then compare with Sanskrit Gramar and repot your findings impartially.
jacob tirunelveli

Bangalore, India

#1768 Dec 15, 2013
abirox02 wrote:
i think sanskrit is older, i speak tamil and i'am learning Sanskrit at the moment (its quite hard) tamil is my mother language and sanskrit is older because the hindu gods language is normally sanskrit and the priest talk in sanskrit when they talk to god.
why the gods language copied the tamil literature of mamuni mayn and said it is the hindu veda. aintiram and irazhnava vedam are original tamil literatures of mamuni mayan. it is published as books. please refer this an come to an conclusion.
tamilanda

Thanjavur, India

#1769 Dec 16, 2013
raju wrote:
yes what u said is right, tamilians are neigros, DNA test were proved they are worst than gorilla.
<quoted text>
hey mind your word
Tamizhan blood is god blood, gods own children Is tamizhanda
Qtiyapa

India

#1770 Dec 17, 2013
jacob tirunelveli wrote:
<quoted text>
why the gods language copied the tamil literature of mamuni mayn and said it is the hindu veda. aintiram and irazhnava vedam are original tamil literatures of mamuni mayan. it is published as books. please refer this an come to an conclusion.
Nobody copied anything...mamuni mayan copied everything...by the way who is he? the one was there at the time of ramayana?
Qtiyapa

India

#1771 Dec 17, 2013
jacob tirunelveli wrote:
<quoted text>
if you dont know abut mamuni mayan it is your stupidity. please visit aintiram read it carefully. you ariar demons will be thrown out of india soon. this is the land of tamils. you dont belong to india. you are afganistan terrorist group. hahahaha. go and read literatures of aintiram and american university of mayonic science and technology. you dint tell me why sanskrit school of grammer is named after the tamil literature aintiram. please write something fruitful. nobody from india came to learn sanskrit . you afganistan brahmins came to india and learned our technology and wrote them in sanskrit.
why should I read aintiram ??? is it higgs boson? it might be some literature copied from some other language. is it the encyclopedia? does that literature proves that tamil is oldest and if yes, by what scientific means. It is all rumor created in tamil history to fool guys like you... that is the reason only tamil scholars work on removing sanskrit terms from Tamil and vice versa doesnt happen. If sanskrit copied every word from tamil then tamil is being rectified by removing sanskrit words.... you guys are the most fooled people in world by your politicians, scholars, terrorists like prabhakaran..etc.
jacob tirunelveli

Bangalore, India

#1772 Dec 17, 2013
Qtiyapa wrote:
<quoted text>
why should I read aintiram ??? is it higgs boson? it might be some literature copied from some other language. is it the encyclopedia? does that literature proves that tamil is oldest and if yes, by what scientific means. It is all rumor created in tamil history to fool guys like you... that is the reason only tamil scholars work on removing sanskrit terms from Tamil and vice versa doesnt happen. If sanskrit copied every word from tamil then tamil is being rectified by removing sanskrit words.... you guys are the most fooled people in world by your politicians, scholars, terrorists like prabhakaran..etc.
hello my dear fool, give some proof or shut your everything and go away. when i give you proof refer it. dont behave like a dog as all north indians. you north indian dogs have no identity or dignity. prabakaran is our leader. if you abuse his name every bad words in the world will go to your mom.so when you speak about prabakaran think that iam abusing your mom.
Deepak

Delhi, India

#1773 Dec 17, 2013
Hey Common!! We all are indian......I love to say that I am originated from Dravidians or Aryans....the matter of the fact is we are Indian.......Just like, we believe in mother India or Hindustan...we should respect Tamil or Sanskrit....Have anyone tried to learn tamil or sanskrit.......at least we should try to learn first our main Indian languages...be it Tamil or sanskrit or telugu......I love Tamil songs like anything.......just like I love Hindi songs.....All south Indian language are very sweat.....this is the reason that rather than focusing upon learning and studying big cultural heritage we have....we discuss on small points.....n that is the reason....despite of saying we are unite, we are not actually unite otherwise we would not have been invaded by Mughals, English, French and so many other intruders....Infact we should try to study our vedas, holy granthas, other indian lanuages which are not our mother tounge e,g, Hindi speaker can learn other indian langauges and vice versa.....at least in our spare time.......there is so much to learn in our life......and we should not waste our lives like this on trival and immaterial issues....Lets we all happy now and think only Bharat....or India....thanks
Shipreeta

Bhubaneswar, India

#1774 Dec 17, 2013
ganesh wrote:
Tamil is the oldest my friend..... Sanskrit means "polished" it didnt exist till 1500BC even that.... The vedas were written in prakrit.... Sanskrit is a beautiful language but it isnt the mother of all other languages... 1st show me evidence of sanskrit in the earlier times.... The evidence of Tamil being older than sanskrit is Tolkapiyam (5000BC)
I dont know from where you got this information. Vedas are certainly written in Sanskrit, in fact that Sanskrit is called Vedic Sanskrit. And later it eventually became Classical Sanskrit
Mudaliar

Bangalore, India

#1775 Dec 17, 2013
Jacob
First. mind your language and be calm and try to understand contrevesial views. It is no use by abusing you can get your point acceptable . First I tried to procure the boks , but they are not available in their web site.So instead of forcing others to read ,try to engligten salient points which you think will be useful to the forum.
Secondly, in this globalisation which turing the leaves from west to east domination , we must understand, that gone are the days that lingustic, religious fundementals tricks wil not work. One cannot deny the love of mother toung even if he cannot read or wite but make a contribution to his family, society and his country.
Thirdly, it is true from several centuries Sanskrit by few elite dominated and was winnig over local and mass dialects. There after English became status symbul and bread and buter language. Sanskrit was seldom spoken for several cebturies but retaine its superiority ln literary works and rretaininig for ages Vedas, puranas etc even though corruptions and additions were continuosly inducted.

Coming to THolkapiam, it had permitted usage of sanskrit words albiet limitedly and with proper substitutions ?
Tamil has established its antiquty and proved that it can exist without Sanskritization. But that does not make us complecent.
Mudaliar

Bangalore, India

#1776 Dec 17, 2013
Shipreeta wrote:
<quoted text>
I dont know from where you got this information. Vedas are certainly written in Sanskrit, in fact that Sanskrit is called Vedic Sanskrit. And later it eventually became Classical Sanskrit
Shipreeta
You have inadvertantly admited that Later Vedic Sanskrit became classical sanskrit.
The question to be probed what is the difference between Vedic and classical Sanskrit. Beween Vedic and classical what role pali and prakrit languages played what role in refining classical sanskrit.Also what was the script for Vedic sanskrit ? How granta script evolved? what is the difference between Brahmi script and Tamil Brahami ? Wheather Asokan script evolved from Tamil Brahmi or the otherway round? If this forum can find answers with timeline ,it will pave the path for rewritten history from EUrocentric created exclusively to prove the racial superiroty.
Mudaliar

Bangalore, India

#1777 Dec 17, 2013
Deepak wrote:
Hey Common!! We all are indian......I love to say that I am originated from Dravidians or Aryans....the matter of the fact is we are Indian.......Just like, we believe in mother India or Hindustan...we should respect Tamil or Sanskrit....Have anyone tried to learn tamil or sanskrit.......at least we should try to learn first our main Indian languages...be it Tamil or sanskrit or telugu......I love Tamil songs like anything.......just like I love Hindi songs.....All south Indian language are very sweat.....this is the reason that rather than focusing upon learning and studying big cultural heritage we have....we discuss on small points.....n that is the reason....despite of saying we are unite, we are not actually unite otherwise we would not have been invaded by Mughals, English, French and so many other intruders....Infact we should try to study our vedas, holy granthas, other indian lanuages which are not our mother tounge e,g, Hindi speaker can learn other indian langauges and vice versa.....at least in our spare time.......there is so much to learn in our life......and we should not waste our lives like this on trival and immaterial issues....Lets we all happy now and think only Bharat....or India....thanks
Good thinking, this is the norm we are already devoloping in this information and internat age.But this forum looks for scientific proof . In this process if we can bring to light the timelines of history , it might help fot those who are doing research or likely to do rsearch in lingustic anthroplogy. It is painful when we read the trash and distorted history with hidden agenda.
One need to learn the labels and why we cannot be called as Bharath officialy?
This is more so The label Indian is being continuously hijacked , Native american indians, canadian indians etc but completely neglect or not aware of our India, greater india, Bharath etc perticulrly the south indian history is not appearing in west records.
Mudaliar

Bangalore, India

#1778 Dec 17, 2013
Qtiyapa wrote:
<quoted text>
Why read AInttiram? I Wanted to read to know the truth wheather Vastu and sculputure art are belonged to which timeline? Why there is similarity between Mayon civilization and Indian civilization..Is Mayon is a mytholical or historical personolity.What mathematics involved in those marvellous works. Yoy see the temples and sculputures of South India. Can they prove the past glory of mathematical knolwdge of our ancestors? For whatever justification we are following Arabic numerals., In this process we lost our numerals be it Tamil or Sanskrit. Do WE have to move forward and by fogeting our past?. While immense progress we have achieved in all the fields sincnce 19 th century onwrds , will it any way undermine our thousands of years accumulated knowledge? need to be revisted and interpreted or not?
jacob tirunelveli

India

#1780 Dec 18, 2013
the tamil sangams were very popular during those time all over india. because many poets all over india participated in the tamil sangam. Many sanskrit experts argue that sangam is a sanskrit word. But it is a pure tamil word representing the sangu. there is a poem in sangam literature that says about that. "paaduvar iruvarkku andru paisilaak kodutha sangath thoduvar seviyil oottum thondu kandu ithan mel nindru paaduvaai unakke intha palakai." that means siva with the sangu ornament hanging from his ears listens to the poems that were sung in this stage. As all the poems goes to the ears of siva which is decorated with the sangu ornament the stage is called sangam.

valmiki who wrote ramayana was well verse in tamil. he has written a poem in the third tamil sangam. he is the only siddhar who worships devi. all other siddhars are devotees of siva. the poem of valmiki is "parithi soozhnda vippayankezhu oru pagal ezhuvar eithiyatra vaiyamum thavamum thookitravathukku ayyavi anaithum aatrathu aagalin kaivittanare kaathalar adhanal vittorai vidaal thiruve vidaa thorival vedapattore. when other siddhars complaint about valmiki to siva for worshiping devi instead of siva . siva dint answer them. but devi is very kind she will answer this is what he has written.
jesus mohammed

India

#1781 Dec 18, 2013
Tamil is the oldest language. Even bacteria spoke Tamil some 100 million years ago. There was a species of ape called homo idioticus, which also spoke Tamil about 500,000 years ago. What more proof do you want, you nincompoops. OOps!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 7 min here 64,056
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 7 min Pad 654,005
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 15 min Rosa_Winkel 973,805
*** All Time Favorite Songs *** (Dec '10) 20 min --IslandGurL-- 3,806
I prefer women's satin panties over men's under... 3 hr Clive 27
Moms having sex with their sons (Aug '12) 3 hr Clive 80
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 3 hr Rosa_Winkel 106,508
More from around the web