|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 4, 2013

Student wrote:
<quoted text>
God’s servants study the Bible and Christian publications. Jehovah’s standards are discussed at their meetings, assemblies, and conventions. So Christians are in a position to know what Jehovah requires of them.
Disfellowshipping takes place only if a member of the congregation unrepentantly engages in gross sin.

As I have demonstrated, this is a gross lie. Disfellowship for the Watchtower cult involves cutting off dissent even when it is reasonable and not biblically clear.

The Watchtower cult uses Disfellowship as a weapon to keep the partially sighted away from the blind.

It does not matter if disfellowship (which is not mentioned in the bible and misunderstood by JW) is reasonably biblical. What matters is the gross misuse by the watchtower cult to manipulate and control.

It keeps Jehovah’s holy name clear of reproach and protects the fine reputation of his people.(1 Peter 1:14-16)

Since "Jehovah" is not mentioned in 1 Pet, nor in any other accurate translation of the NT, I cannot take that seriously.

Second, JWs have a very poor reputation among real Christians. They have a history of lying, distorting the bible, protecting child molesters, siding with Hitler, defaming other Churches, rejecting and rewriting scripture. They are not saved.

The Watchtowerites (to separate the flock from the leadership wolves) simply do not know what their leaders are really doing and are not aware of the real motives of the cult.
Student wrote:
<quoted text>
Removing an unrepentant wrongdoer from the congregation upholds God’s standards and preserves the congregation’s spiritual cleanness. It may also bring the unrepentant one to his senses.

The Watchtower is not interested in actual spiritual cleanness. It is only concerned about what it has to deal with.

Innocent girl gets molested multiple times and is disfellowshipped for reporting to the legal authorities.

Molesters (All JWs) remain in good standing and in leadership positions within the cult.

Enough said.

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 4, 2013

Student wrote:
<quoted text>
Jesus was not talking about the world of mankind as the ones to drink his blood as well as eating his flesh, figuratively, during his millennial reign. He was talking about believers whom he would bring into the new covenant.(Jer. 31:31-34; Rev. 20:4-6)
These would become spiritual Israelites. That is why, when Jesus inaugurated the “Lord’s evening meal,” he said to his Israelite apostles:“This cup means the new covenant by virtue of my blood, which is to be poured out in your behalf.”(Luke 22:20; 1 Cor. 11:20, 25)
Or, according to Matthew 26:27:“Drink out of it, all of you; for this means my ‘blood of the covenant,’ which is to be poured out in behalf of many for forgiveness of sins.” The 11 faithful apostles who accepted the unleavened bread and the cup of wine at Jesus’ hands that Passover night of 33 C.E. were taken into the new covenant on the day of Pentecost, the fifty-second day from the Passover.
A remnant of spiritual Israelites, who are members of the spiritual “body” of Christ, are still on earth.
In recent years they have invited others to attend the annual Memorial celebration as witnesses or observers. These dedicated sheeplike persons were foreshadowed by Jonadab the friend of King Jehu of Israel.(2 Ki. 10:15-23; Jer. 35:1-16)
Ever since the year 1935 C.E. Jesus Christ the Fine Shepherd has brought a “great crowd” of such modern “Jonadabs” or “other sheep” into association with the spirit-begotten remnant of his spiritual “body.” But first in the Watchtower issue of February 15, 1938, we read this invitation:
“... After 6 p.m. on April 15 let each company of the anointed assemble and celebrate the Memorial, their companions the Jonadabs also being present. Let the emblems be unleavened bread and real red wine.”—Page 50, under “Memorial.”
Those “other sheep,” who are not of the same “fold” as the “little flock,” attended the Memorial as observers, not as partakers.—John 10:16; Luke 12:32.
Jesus did not specifically state how often it was to be done. He simply said:“Keep doing this in remembrance of me.”(Luke 22:19)
Paul said:“For as often as you eat this loaf and drink this cup, you keep proclaiming the death of the Lord, until he arrives.”(1 Cor. 11:26)
“As often” need not mean many times a year; it can mean annually over a period of many years.
If you commemorate an important event, such as a wedding anniversary, or if a nation commemorates an important event in its history, how often is it done?
Once a year on the anniversary date. This would also be consistent with the fact that the Lord’s Evening Meal was instituted on the date of the Jewish Passover, a yearly celebration that no longer had to be kept by Jews who had become Christians.
Jehovah’s Witnesses observe the Memorial after sundown on Nisan 14, according to the reckoning of the Jewish calendar that was common in the first century.

I rest my case. I can not possibly expose your cult's antichristian beliefs better than you do!

Well done.

I recommend reading the above and then reading about the beliefs of the Jehovah Witness cult.

http://www.jwfacts.com/watchtower/faithful-di...

How badly do you have to warp the Bible to get to this?

How deluded does one have to be to believe in such nonsense!

Note also that this is EXACTLY how the Watchtower dubs its sheepeople; by taking a number of verses out of context and stitching them together to make it look like the Bible is saying something it is not.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 4, 2013

Student wrote:
<quoted text>
What issue of the BIBLE or WATCHTOWER admit that Yahweh is the most correct name of God?

Previously cited.

Why repost arguments you have already lost?

That makes not sense and just makes you look like a moron.

"there are records of the name in Greek, which did have written vowels. These records indicate that in all likelihood the name should be pronounced "Yahweh."

"Jehovah" is a Catholic Church invention. It is funny how hard the Watchtower hates the Catholic Church out of jealousy. But they try to be just like them!!!

New American Standard translators admit the fact that "It is known that for many years YHWH has been transliterated as Yahweh

http://www.jwfacts.com/watchtower/jehovah-yah...
http://www.jwfacts.com/watchtower/jehovah-new...

"The four Canaanite-Hebrew letters *Yodh, Heh, Waw, Heh* are correctly transliterated in Roman (Latin) letters as YHWH and erroneously transliterated as JHVH. The erroneous four letter Romanized (Latinized) version, JHVH was rendered as "JEHOVAH". "
http://comeyouout.hubpages.com/hub/Origin-Of-...

"This issue of Yahweh vs. Jehovah has indeed been a controversal one and the result of a number of cult groups." -Dr. K. Daniel Fried

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 4, 2013

Student wrote:
<quoted text>
Early Christianity was not a sect. Nor was it meant to break up into separate sects. In praying to his Father, Christ asked that his disciples might “all be one.”(John 17:21) His disciples were to ‘have love among themselves.’(John 13:35) This excluded any divisive forming of sects.
Under divine inspiration Paul listed “divisions” and “sects” among “the works of the flesh.”
He wrote:“Now the works of the flesh are manifest, and they are fornication, uncleanness, loose conduct, idolatry, practice of spiritism, enmities, strife, jealousy, fits of anger, contentions, divisions, sects ... Those who practice such things will not inherit God’s kingdom.”—Galatians 5:19-21.
"Dogen" do YOU want these kind of people in YOUR congregation?
Since those who cause “divisions” and “sects”“will not inherit God’s kingdom,” they cannot be tolerated within the true Christian congregation.
Therefore, Paul wrote to Titus:“Shun foolish questionings and genealogies and strife and fights over the Law, for they are unprofitable and futile. As for a man that promotes a sect, reject him after a first and a second admonition; knowing that such a man has been turned out of the way and is sinning, he being self-condemned.”—Titus 3:9-11.
In his letter, Jude speaks of “some that have doubts.”(Jude 22) But neither Peter nor Jude says that a Christian can remain a ridiculer or a doubter.
Peter tells us to ‘be on our guard’ against “unsteady” ones who ‘twist the Scriptures.’(2 Peter 3:16, 17)
And Jude states that the doubters are in danger and need to be ‘snatched out of the fire.’(Jude 23)
Those who have been misled from the truth need to be helped “with mildness,” in the hope that “they may come back to their proper senses out from the snare of the Devil.”—2 Timothy 2:23-26. W83 9/15 “One Lord, One Faith, One Baptism’, p18

You are just regurgitating Watchtower rhetoric. Maybe you are not aware of what is really going on in your cult and you just believe whatever you are told by the cult. I understand that, but you do not get a free pass for ignoring the issues and keeping your eyes closed whenever these issues are shown to you.

The lengthy lists of sins of the Watchtower cult include thousands of examples things that are not just hearsay against the cult. These include court documents, public statements, transcripts of official documents, letters and testimony given under oath. If you want to pretend that the things I have told you about are not real or are exaggerations you are responsible for own ignorance.

Question for you: how does one leave the Watchtower cult without being disfellowshipped?

Answer: It cannot be done.

You know I am right.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 4, 2013

Student wrote:
<quoted text>
REALLY, NAME CALLING AGAIN
This is what the introduction of the New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures has to say:
“THIS IS WHAT THE SOVEREIGN LORD JEHOVAH {4 ORIGINAL LETTERS, YHWH] HAS SAID
THERE IS NO [[[YEHWAH]]] IN OUR BIBLE
This is from the internet at http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/JHWH
JHVH
YHVH.
Also, JHWH.
Dictionary.com Unabridged
YHVH
a transliteration of the Tetragrammaton.
Also, YHWH, JHVH, JHWH.
Why would you give a reference to an already incorrect transliteration????? There is no 'J' in Hebrew.

I am not stuttering when I tell you that, am I?

The most accurate transliteration is YHWH.

Note: You left out the Latinized IHWH and IHVH.
Student wrote:
<quoted text> It seems that you need to get and read our translation of the Holy Scriptures

I have, and I have compared them to REAL translations. Your "translation" is crap. Nothing more than propaganda.

Your "Translation" was done by a small group of men NONE of whom has functional knowledge of EITHER Classic Hebrew or Greek.

Nathan H. Knorr,- No training in biblical languages.
George D. Gangas,- No training in biblical languages.
Albert D. Schroeder,- No training in biblical languages.
Milton G. Henschel,- No training in biblical languages.
Karl Klein- No training in biblical languages.
And finally the leader of this illiterate group:
Frederick W. Franz,- 21 semester hours of classical Greek (started a 2 hour class in Biblical Greek - dropped out). Some self study in Hebrew. "In a court of law in Edinburgh, Scotland in 1954, Mr. Franz failed a simple test on his Hebrew language skills."
http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/False%20Religi...

They also used the old Westcott And Hort literal (Interlinear) translation.

" It is clear that many are unaware of the dangerous differences found in the New World Translation. We’ve received several emails from people who were confused by a verse shown to them by a Jehovah’s Witness. Often the confusion results from the fact that the verse was like one of those in this article, and when we directed the person to a legitimate translation of that verse, their confusion lifted. When conversing with a Jehovah’s Witness, never let them read a verse from the NWT without verifying the wording in a legitimate translation. As Christians, our faith is supported by the God-breathed Scriptures. We must be on guard against translations that attack our faith through corruption of God’s Word."
http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/False%20Religi...

More at:
http://ittsy.com/focusonthefaulty/Pages/jehov...

I dare you to compare John 15:4,5; John 17:26; Galatians 1:16; Romans 8:10; Colossians 1:27 and 2 Corinthians 13:5 to a GOOD translation of the Bible (the NASB is good).

Extra credit:
Colossians 1:16-17
Philippians 2:9
Matthew 25:46,
2 Peter 2:9
Acts 4:21

"Numerous scholars with true credentials in the Biblical languages have condemned the Watchtower's New World Translation as a fatal distortion of God's written Word. For example, see The Bible Collector (luly-December, 1971) issue which devotes three articles evaluating the Watchtower scripture."
ibid
Student

Oregon City, OR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 4, 2013

Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Why did you write all of this? It does not address the the issue of 1 Timothy 2:5 and the JW violation of it.
Do you think cutting and pasting stuff that is not relevant to the issue is in any way impressive?
Do you assume people are so dumb they won't see through it?
Okay, I will give you the second one. The whole JW cult is predicated on people being so dumb they don't see through it!
Did you NOT READ VERSE 3, 4 & 5?

This is fine and acceptable in the sight of our Savior, God, 4 whose will is that all sorts of men should be saved and come to an accurate knowledge of truth. 5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, a man, Christ Jesus, 6 who gave himself a corresponding ransom for all—[this is] what is to be witnessed to at its own particular times.

What, then, is Christ’s role in this program of salvation?
Student

Oregon City, OR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 4, 2013

Dogen wrote:

You are like a chess player that makes the same opening blunder in every game, never learning from your mistake.

" While inclining to view the pronunciation “Yah.weh” as the more correct way, we have retained the form “Jehovah” because of people's familiarity with it since the 14th century. Moreover, it preserves, equally with other forms, the four letters of the tetragrammaton JHVH (NWT, 1950 ed., Foreword, p. 25 [note: This admission was removed from the 1961, 1970, 1984 editions of the NWT]).
The oldest NWT I have is 1961

Look at what the Watchtower 12/15/1952 on page 749 has to say….
JEHOVAH’S witnesses are dedicated to the publishing of Jehovah’s name. His name is clearly indicated in the Hebrew Holy Scriptures by the tetragrammaton, for which the Latin characters are JHVH, or English YHWH.

While the exact pronunciation of the four Hebrew characters for this name is not known, the name of the Sovereign Ruler of the universe as we have long known it is Jehovah in English.

Jehovah’s witnesses want all peoples from one end of the earth to the other to become acquainted with that name and its meaning. The inhabitants of all nations should know the divine name in their own languages. But to the reasoning mind it is a strange thing that the religious leaders in Christendom should try to hide, even destroy, that name.
Student

Oregon City, OR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 4, 2013

Dogen wrote:
The WT acknowledges that most Hebrew scholars prefer “Yahweh” as the true pronunciation:
Yes, many Bible scholars acknowledge that “Yahweh” more nearly represents the Hebrew pronunciation of the Divine Name (WT,[3] July 15, 1964, p. 423).
Watchtower 7/15/1964 page 423……….. If the publishing agency for Jehovah’s witnesses recognizes that “Yahweh” is more correct, why do they use “Jehovah” in their translation, writing and worship instead?

Because the form “Jehovah” has been familiar to people for many centuries, and that form of The Name, just as faithfully as other forms, preserves the sounds of the four consonants of the tetragrammaton.

We do not speak Hebrew today! We speak other languages. When we speak English, for example, then we use the English pronunciation of the Divine Name, which is “Jehovah.”

In other languages the divine name is pronounced differently, although quite similarly most of the time.
Those who reject the English “Jehovah” and insist on using the Hebrew pronunciation would do well to ask themselves why they say “Jesus Christ,” when that was not the way his name was pronounced in Hebrew.

That is the English way, derived from the Greek language. In Hebrew, Jesus would be closer to “Yehóshua” and Christ would be “Mashíahh.”

So, as we say “Jesus Christ” in the English language, we also say “Jehovah,” both being correct when speaking English.
Student

Oregon City, OR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 4, 2013

Dogen wrote:

Hebrew scholars generally favor “Yahweh” as the most likely pronunciation (Aid To Bible Understanding, 1971, 885).
Aid To Bible Understanding. 1971, p. 885……………. Hebrew scholars generally favor “Yahweh” as the most likely pronunciation. They point out that the abbreviated form of the name is Yah (Jah in Latinized form), as at Psalms 89:8 and in the expression of Hal lu Yah (meaning “Praise Jah, you people!”).

Since certainty of pronunciation is not now attainable, there seems to be no reason for abandoning in English the well-know form “Jehovah” in favor of some other suggested pronunciation.

If such a change were made, then, to be consistent, changes should be made in the spelling and pronunciation of a host of other names found in the Scriptures: Jeremiah would be changed to Yirmyah, Isaiah would become Yshaayah u and Jesus would be either Yhohshua (as in Hebrew) or Iesous (as in Greek).

The purpose of words is to transmit thoughts; in English the name “Jehovah” identifies the true God, transmitting this thought more satisfactorily today than any of the suggested substitutes.
Student

Oregon City, OR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 4, 2013

Dogen wrote:

“Jehovah” is the best known English pronunciation of the Divine name, although “Yahweh” is favored by most Hebrew scholars (Insight on the Scriptures, 1988, vol. 2, p. 5).
Insight on the Scriptures, 1988, vol. 2, p. 5……………….. Correct Pronunciation of the Divine Name.“Jehovah” is the best known English pronunciation of the divine name, although “Yahweh” is favored by most Hebrew scholars. The oldest Hebrew manuscripts present the name in the form of four consonants, commonly called the Tetragrammaton (from Greek tetra, meaning “four,” and gram ma,“letter”). These four letters (written from right to left) and may be transliterated into English as YHWH (or, JHVH).

The Hebrew consonants of the name are therefore known.

The question is, Which vowels are to be combined with those consonants?

Vowel points did not come into use in Hebrew until the second half of the first millennium C.E.

Furthermore, because of a religious superstition that had begun centuries earlier, the vowel pointing found in Hebrew manuscripts does not provide the key for determining which vowels should appear in the divine name.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 4, 2013

Student wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you NOT READ VERSE 3, 4 & 5?
This is fine and acceptable in the sight of our Savior, God, 4 whose will is that all sorts of men should be saved and come to an accurate knowledge of truth. 5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, a man, Christ Jesus, 6 who gave himself a corresponding ransom for all—[this is] what is to be witnessed to at its own particular times.
What, then, is Christ’s role in this program of salvation?

"mediator between God and men"

Nowhere is 'Watchtower' or the 'GBJW' mentioned in this role, out side of cult literature.
Student

Oregon City, OR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 4, 2013

Dogen wrote:

The WT acknowledges that the pronunciation “Jehovah” was originally a “blunder”:

As to the Old Testament name of God, certainly the spelling and pronunciation “Jehovah” were originally a blunder (The Bible in Living English, 1972, p.7).

The first recorded use of this form [Jehovah] dates from the thirteenth century C.E. Raymundus Martini, a Spanish [Roman Catholic] monk of the Dominican Order, used it in his book Pugeo Fidei of the year 1270 C.E.(Aid To Bible Understanding, 1971, p. 884-5).

The WT acknowledges that there is no NT Greek manuscript that contains “the divine name”:
That’s a lie!…………….Insight on the Scriptures vol. 2, p. 9……

Why is the divine name in its full form not in any available ancient manuscript of the Christian Greek Scriptures?

The argument long presented was that the inspired writers of the Christian Greek Scriptures made their quotations from the Hebrew Scriptures on the basis of the Septuagint, and that, since this version substituted Kyrios or Theos for the Tetragrammaton, these writers did not use the name Jehovah.

Commenting on the fact that the oldest fragments of the Greek Septuagint do contain the divine name in its Hebrew form, Dr. P. Kahle says:“We now know that the Greek Bible text [the Septuagint] as far as it was written by Jews for Jews did not translate the Divine name by kyrios, but the Tetragrammaton written with Hebrew or Greek letters was retained in such MSS [manuscripts].

It was the Christians who replaced the Tetragrammaton by kyrios, when the divine name written in Hebrew letters was not understood any more.”(The Cairo Geniza, Oxford, 1959, p. 222)

When did this change in the Greek translations of the Hebrew Scriptures take place?

It took place in the centuries following the death of Jesus and his apostles. In Aquila’s Greek version, dating from the second century C.E., the Tetragrammaton still appeared in Hebrew characters.

Around 245 C.E., the noted scholar Origen produced his Hexapla, a six-column reproduction of the inspired Hebrew Scriptures:(1) in their original Hebrew and Aramaic, accompanied by (2) a transliteration into Greek, and by the Greek versions of (3) Aquila,(4) Symmachus,(5) the Septuagint, and (6) Theodotion. On the evidence of the fragmentary copies now known, Professor W. G. Waddell says:“In Origen’s Hexapla ... the Greek versions of Aquila, Symmachus, and LXX [Septuagint] all represented JHWH by &#928;&#921;&#928; &#921;; in the second column of the Hexapla the Tetragrammaton was written in Hebrew characters.”(The Journal of Theological Studies, Oxford, Vol. XLV, 1944, pp. 158, 159)

Others believe the original text of Origen’s Hexapla used Hebrew characters for the Tetragrammaton in all its columns. Origen himself stated that “in the most accurate manuscripts THE NAME occurs in Hebrew characters, yet not in today’s Hebrew [characters], but in the most ancient ones.”
Student

Oregon City, OR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 4, 2013

Dogen wrote:

One of the remarkable facts, not only about the extent manuscripts of the original Greek text, but

of many versions, ancient and modern, is the absence of the Divine name (NWT, 1950 ed., Foreword, p. 10; the same quote is found in the Awake magazine, 1957, January 8, 25).

no ancient Greek manuscript that we possess today of the books from Matthew to Revelation contains God’s name in full (The Divine Name That Will Endure Forever, 1984, p. 23).

Note: the manuscript evidence indicates that the NT was written in Greek, not Hebrew or Aramaic—thus, the Hebrew Tetragrammaton is not found in any NT manuscript. When citing passages from the OT, the NT authors used kurios (“Lord”) to translate YHWH. As well, the LXX used kurios to translate the Tetragrammaton.
I do not have these magazines but I do know that the apostle Matthew wrote the book of Matthew in his native language, which was Hebrew. Here are some others whom also believe so.

Origen (Eusebius, H.E. 6.25.4): "As having learnt by tradition concerning the four Gospels, which alone are unquestionable in the Church of God under heaven, that first was written according to Matthew, who was once a tax collector but afterwards an apostle of Jesus Christ, who published it for those who from Judaism came to believe, composed as it was in the Hebrew language."

Papias (Eusebius, H.E. 3.39.16): "Matthew collected the oracles (ta logia) in the Hebrew language, and each interpreted them as best he could."

Irenaeus, Adv. Haer. 3.1.1: "Matthew also issued a written Gospel among the Hebrews in their own dialect while Peter and Paul were preaching at Rome and laying the foundations of the church." - See more at:

http://whygodreallyexists.com/archives/hebrew...
Student

Oregon City, OR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 4, 2013

Dogen wrote:

Since the JWs believe that the “true name” of God (“Jehovah” as they assume) is essential in honoring Him, then, why would they mispronounce and mistransliterate (as the WT admits) the Tetragrammaton—YHWH?

Romans 10:13 reads (Paul here quoting from Joel 2:32):“everyone who calls on the name of Jehovah will be saved”(NWT). Ask the JW:“If “Jehovah” is not the true and correct name (as agreed by the WT), how can a JW be saved since he or she calls on the wrong name?[6]
Joel 2:32- And it must occur that everyone who calls on the name of Jehovah will get away safe; for in Mount Zion and in Jerusalem there will prove to be the escaped ones, just as Jehovah has said, and in among the survivors, whom Jehovah is calling.”

Romans 10: 13 For “everyone who calls on the name of Jehovah will be saved.”

It still remains true, as Paul reminds us, that “everyone who calls on the name of Jehovah will be saved.”(Rom. 10:13)

It is Jehovah whom we must love with all our heart, soul, mind and strength. He is the Almighty One who raised up Jesus Christ from the dead to life immortal.

Jehovah is therefore the one to whom our main action is directed. It is to him that we must make the dedication of ourselves to do His will, to keep His commandments.—Rom. 10:8, 9.
Student

Oregon City, OR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 4, 2013

Dogen wrote:

Contrary to the JW’s false and fixed notion regarding the term “Jehovah,” Jesus Christ instructed His followers

“After this manner therefore pray ye:‘Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name....’”(Matt. 6:9; KJV).
Have you ever wondered why Jesus put the ‘hallowing,’ or sanctifying, of God’s name first in this prayer?

Afterward, he mentioned other things such as the coming of God’s Kingdom, God’s will being done on earth and our sins being forgiven. The fulfillment of these other requests will ultimately mean lasting peace on earth and everlasting life for mankind.

Can you think of anything more important than that?

Nevertheless, Jesus told us to pray first of all for the sanctification of God’s name.

It was not merely by chance that Jesus taught his followers to put God’s name first in their prayers. That name was clearly of crucial importance to him, since he mentioned it repeatedly in his own prayers.

On one occasion when he was praying publicly to God, he was heard to say:“Father, glorify your name!” And God himself answered:“I have glorified it, and I will glorify it again.”—John 12:28, The Jerusalem Bible.

The evening before Jesus died, he was praying to God in the hearing of his disciples, and once again they heard him highlight the importance of God’s name.

He said:“I have made your name known to the men you took from the world to give me.” Later, he repeated:“I have made your name known to them and will continue to make it known.”—John 17:6, 26, JB.

Why was God’s name so important to Jesus?

Why did he show that it is important for us, too, by telling us to pray for its sanctification?

FYI.... hallowed - definition of hallowed by the Free Online Dictionary ...
www.thefreedictionary.com/hallowed
hal•lowed (h l d) adj. 1. Sanctified; consecrated: a hallowed cemetery. 2. Highly venerated; sacrosanct: our hallowed war heroes

Sanctification | Define Sanctification at Dictionary.com
dictionary.reference.com/browse/Sanctificatio...
verb (used with object), sanc•ti•fied, sanc•ti•fy•ing. 1. to make holy; set apart as sacred; consecrate
Student

Oregon City, OR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 4, 2013

Dogen wrote:

Remember, it is not merely the mispronunciation of YHWH that condemns JWs (for many Christians use the term “Jehovah”), but rather it is their denial that Jesus IS YHWH that condemns them before God (cf. John 8:24)."

http://www.christiandefense.org/Article%20on %...
So John 8:24 proves that Jesus is Jehovah? And you believe that!

Read the rest of John 8, verses :24-29
24 Therefore I said to YOU, YOU will die in YOUR sins. For if YOU do not believe that I am [he], YOU will die in YOUR sins.”
” 25 Therefore they began to say to him:“Who are you?” Jesus said to them:“Why am I even speaking to YOU at all?

***26 I have many things to speak concerning YOU and to pass judgment upon. As a matter of fact, he that sent me is true, and the very things I heard from him I am speaking in the world.”
27 They did not grasp that he was talking to them about the Father.***

28 Therefore Jesus said:“When once YOU have lifted up the Son of man, then YOU will know that I am [he], and that I do nothing of my own initiative; but just as the Father taught me I speak these things.
29 And he that sent me is with me; he did not abandon me to myself, because I always do the things pleasing to him.”

Why do you even quote the Scriptures, as you certainly do not read the book of John?

Jesus said to the Jews:“The Father himself, which hath sent me, hath borne witness of me. Ye have neither heard his voice at any time, nor seen his shape.”(John 5:37, AV)

But those Jews did see Jesus’ shape and hear his voice. Also, Jesus told them that if they had believed the prophet Moses they would also have believed him; and Jesus knew from Moses’ writings that God had said to Moses up in the mountain:“Thou canst not see my face: for there shall no man see me, and live.”(Ex. 33:20, AV)

But those Jews did see Jesus and live, which proved that Jesus was not God.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 4, 2013

Student wrote:
<quoted text>
That’s a lie!…………….Insight on the Scriptures vol. 2, p. 9……
Why is the divine name in its full form not in any available ancient manuscript of the Christian Greek Scriptures?

Because they are in Greek. Yahweh (YHWH) is Hebrew in origin.

The rest of what you presented represents the same circular logic. The statement that "Christians" switched out YHWH is only half true. The earliest Christians WERE Jews.

There are a number of other errors in the narrative but mostly it is a collection of moot points.

The oldest versions of the OT (dated 200 bce) used the equivalent of YHWH. So should you be called the YHWH Witness cult?

Further, Jewish sources give the pronunciation of YHWH as "Yah-weh" and state that the intonation has never been "lost" as some Christian writers claim.

So, you like to quote lies that you do not check against objective sources. Does that not make you, at least, guilty of aiding and abetting liars?

Remember, your cult has, IN PRINT, told the watchtowerites to LIE in COURT and has claimed that secular authorities don't have the right to know their business or adjudicate their affairs.

How can such a Satanic cult be trusted in ANY way after doing things like that?

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 4, 2013

Judged:

Student wrote:
<quoted text>
I do not have these magazines but I do know that the apostle Matthew wrote the book of Matthew in his native language, which was Hebrew.

Matthew was not written by Matthew. Attribution was a common way to write books back then. None of the gospels were written by the people they were attributed to. They appear to have all been written in Greek as they show no indications of having been translated, save for quotes from the Torah, Tanakh, Talmud and deuterocanonical books.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 4, 2013

Student wrote:
<quoted text>
It still remains true, as Paul reminds us, that “everyone who calls on the name of Jehovah will be saved.”(Rom. 10:13)

Paul neither ever hear of "Jehovah" much less made claims about calling upon that word.

Being a good Jew he would have used Adonai or one of the many other "pronouns" for YHWH.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 4, 2013

Student wrote:
<quoted text>
Have you ever wondered why Jesus put the ‘hallowing,’ or sanctifying, of God’s name first in this prayer?

Out of respect for his father YHWH who's very name is considered to be holy.

Jesus actually left out the actual name as all good Jew's would have done.

Do you really know NOTHING of Biblical history?

Are you completely dependent upon the lies and blasphemies of the Watchtower cult?

Are you morbidly afraid to examine the truth for yourself and not through the blackened lenses the cult?

YHWH gave you a brain. I recommend using it.

YHWH commanded you not to lie. I recommend following that command rather than lying as the Watchtower (Satan) commands you to do.

Just friendly suggestions.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••