Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple...

Since: Jul 08

Columbus, OH

#35021 Jun 9, 2013
yon wrote:
Let the BIBLE INTERPRET ITSELF
Books can't interpret themselves anymore than write themselves, goofy.

Columbus, OH

#35022 Jun 9, 2013
yon wrote:
<quoted text>
PROVE from SCRIPTURE - not some pagan philosopher as to who authorized this new CATHOLIC PAGAN TRADITION
Acts 18:4 is pagan?

Well, in a sense, you're right.

Columbus, OH

#35024 Jun 9, 2013
John wrote:
<quoted text>who ever did that sure screwed things up because you see what living with out the laws has done we live in a sinful shit hole.do you have anymore info on this....I think is was the jews who changed his name because some of the oldest text are wrote in Aramaic a for of old Hebrew And it reads his name as being YHWH In short Yahweh now man added the words lord And god...so man made him a god when he is not are you following me i hope so.....but if you are you are one in a few but seriously do you have any more information on how the jews nailed the laws to the cross....
Take a deep breath and collect your thoughts.

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#35025 Jun 9, 2013
Student wrote:
<quoted text>
Acts 13:14-16-
14 They, however, went on from Perga and came to Antioch in Pi•sid&#8242;i•a and, going into the synagogue on the sabbath day, they took a seat. 15 After the public reading of the Law and of the Prophets the presiding officers of the synagogue sent out to them, saying:“Men, brothers, if there is any word of encouragement for the people that YOU have, tell it.” 16 So Paul rose, and motioning with his hand, he said:
“Men, Israelites and YOU [others] that fear God, hear.
Acts 13:42-47-
42 Now when they were going out, the people began entreating for these matters to be spoken to them on the following sabbath. 43 So after the synagogue assembly was dissolved, many of the Jews and of the proselytes who worshiped [God] followed Paul and Bar&#8242;na•bas, who in speaking to them began urging them to continue in the undeserved kindness of God.
44 The next sabbath nearly all the city gathered together to hear the word of Jehovah.
Who’s SYNAGOGUE ?
45 When the Jews got sight of the crowds, they were filled with jealousy and began blasphemously contradicting the things being spoken by Paul. 46 And so, talking with boldness, Paul and Barnabas said:“It was necessary for the word of God to be spoken first to YOU. Since YOU are thrusting it away from YOU and do not judge yourselves worthy of everlasting life, look! we turn to the nations. 47 In fact, Jehovah has laid commandment upon us in these words,‘I have appointed you as a light of nations, for you to be a salvation to the extremity of the earth.’”
Acts 16:11-13-
11 Therefore we put out to sea from Tro&#8242;as and came with a straight run to Samothrace, but on the following day to Neapolis, 12 and from there to Philippi, a colony, which is the principal city of the district of Macedonia. We continued in this city, spending some days. 13 And on the sabbath day we went forth outside the gate beside a river, where we were thinking there was a place of prayer; and we sat down and began speaking to the women that had assembled.
Acts 17:1-3, 5-
They now journeyed through Amphipolis and Apollonia and came to Thessalonica, where there was a synagogue of the Jews. 2 So according to Paul’s custom he went inside to them, and for three sabbaths he reasoned with them from the Scriptures, 3 explaining and proving by references that it was necessary for the Christ to suffer and to rise from the dead, and [saying]:“This is the Christ, this Jesus whom I am publishing to YOU.
5-But the Jews, getting jealous, took into their company certain wicked men of the marketplace idlers and formed a mob and proceeded to throw the city into an uproar. And they assaulted the house of Jason and went seeking to have them brought forth to the rabble.

Wow is your "bible" perverted. Such translation is an abomination unto Yahweh.

Get a real bible and read the same verses in it please.

Columbus, OH

#35026 Jun 9, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>

Tangential topic, but this is typical of the Watchtower Cult:
Not a Jimi Hendrix fan, huh?

Student

Beavercreek, OR

#35028 Jun 9, 2013
yon wrote:
<quoted text>
Very true - my point in posting is not to win arguments with cultists but simply counter their outrageous and unsubstantiated claims and outright lies, and to expose the absurdities for the benefit of others who are in danger of getting trapped in or who are trapped and looking for a the hole in the fence and an exit strategy, which isn't easy. It's kind of like hating your job, but just quitting before you have another can be dangerous,or if the alternatives are just as bad. Just don't join any religious clubs. Trust Yahweh and Yasha and let their spirit guide you. Shalom out.
http://passionfortruth.com/messageplayer.aspx...
www.youtube.com/watch...
Student

Beavercreek, OR

#35029 Jun 9, 2013
Student wrote:
<quoted text>
www.youtube.com/watch...
This is not the web site I wanted to post, please to go www.jw.org/en/news/

Since: Mar 13

Location hidden

#35033 Jun 10, 2013
On Saturday a very blind uneducated mind implied that Justin Martyr is somehow affiliated with the Catholic church because according to Wikipedia he is considered a Saint by them. This is about as water-tight of an argument as rejecting the Apostle Peter because the Catholic Church elevated his position beyond what they should have. It's absolutely fallacious and underlines the person's inadequacy.

Justin Martyr did not associate himself with the Catholic church, and their claim that he is one of them is no more valid than a Muslim claiming that Jesus was a prophet of Islam. Not that an ignorant monolingual hell-bent on arguing about translations is someone you'd expect to reason these obvious truths out -- but even when you give him a marginal benefit of the doubt, he demonstrates time and time again that he really doesn't deserve the gift of having the potential for more intelligence than an animal.

I guess there's no cure for willing fools.

I repeat my remark for real men:
"Justin Martyr confirmed what is already *scripturally* obvious".[Emphasis mine -- pun intended]

Location hidden

#35034 Jun 10, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Enough said.
Prefect! So we agree then. I hope that you never again claim that Jehovah is not an English word until it is removed from the dictionaries (or branded as archaic) and falls out of common use entirely. Otherwise you'd be lying, because it most certainly *is* an English word right now. A translation (not transliteration) of the Tetragrammaton into English.

Location hidden

#35035 Jun 10, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Ignorant is one who ignores.
And since you can't defend your ignorance what does that tell you?
*Yawn*
Poorly constructed Fallacy of Etymological Meaning. Your argument is invalid.
Ignorance is lacking knowledge, and is not directly related to ignoring.
Trying to redefine words by etymology and similarity is a common redefinition fallacy.

Dude, don't even bother, you can't get a fallacy past me -- normally I just let them slide in my day to day if the conclusions are actually true, because it isn't worth trying to fight the fact that most people's logic sucks.

Sometimes etymology is related, sometimes it isn't -- but again I understand this better because since many words in English came from French and French is my third language, I get to see how each language has molded the meaning of essentially the same word.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#35038 Jun 10, 2013
yon wrote:
<quoted text>
Very true - my point in posting is not to win arguments with cultists but simply counter their outrageous and unsubstantiated claims and outright lies, and to expose the absurdities for the benefit of others who are in danger of getting trapped in or who are trapped and looking for a the hole in the fence and an exit strategy, which isn't easy. It's kind of like hating your job, but just quitting before you have another can be dangerous,or if the alternatives are just as bad. Just don't join any religious clubs. Trust Yahweh and Yasha and let their spirit guide you. Shalom out.
http://passionfortruth.com/messageplayer.aspx...

May Yahweh be with you in your quest.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#35039 Jun 10, 2013
Student wrote:
<quoted text>
www.youtube.com/watch...

If you cannot make a coherent argument in this forum why would I watch a youtube video you think (sic) supports your claims?

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#35040 Jun 10, 2013
Student wrote:
<quoted text>
This is not the web site I wanted to post, please to go www.jw.org/en/news/

Yea, jw.org is an accurate an unbiased web site.

[I crack me up]

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#35041 Jun 10, 2013
ServantOfWisdom wrote:
On Saturday a very blind uneducated mind implied that Justin Martyr is somehow affiliated with the Catholic church because according to Wikipedia he is considered a Saint by them. This is about as water-tight of an argument as rejecting the Apostle Peter because the Catholic Church elevated his position beyond what they should have. It's absolutely fallacious and underlines the person's inadequacy.
Justin Martyr did not associate himself with the Catholic church, and their claim that he is one of them is no more valid than a Muslim claiming that Jesus was a prophet of Islam. Not that an ignorant monolingual hell-bent on arguing about translations is someone you'd expect to reason these obvious truths out -- but even when you give him a marginal benefit of the doubt, he demonstrates time and time again that he really doesn't deserve the gift of having the potential for more intelligence than an animal.
I guess there's no cure for willing fools.
I repeat my remark for real men:
"Justin Martyr confirmed what is already *scripturally* obvious".[Emphasis mine -- pun intended]

You have no clue as to what is "scripturally obvious". You don't even own a real Bible.

The Catholics are as welcome to claim him as is anyone else.

I can understand why the JW would want to claim him, however. They love to pretend they are martyrs. Oh poor widdle Watchtwower cultists, people pick on them and kick sand in their faces just because they make up a religion that is not based on the bible and pretend that it is. Oh boo hoo hoo!

Grow a pair.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#35042 Jun 10, 2013
ServantOfWisdom wrote:
<quoted text>
Prefect! So we agree then. I hope that you never again claim that Jehovah is not an English word until it is removed from the dictionaries (or branded as archaic) and falls out of common use entirely. Otherwise you'd be lying, because it most certainly *is* an English word right now. A translation (not transliteration) of the Tetragrammaton into English.

It is a completely legitimate made up word. But it is not the name of Yahweh.

The issue was never if it was a word or not. What made you stupid enough to think that it was?

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#35043 Jun 10, 2013
ServantOfWisdom wrote:
<quoted text>
*Yawn*
Poorly constructed Fallacy of Etymological Meaning. Your argument is invalid.
Ignorance is lacking knowledge, and is not directly related to ignoring.
Trying to redefine words by etymology and similarity is a common redefinition fallacy.
Dude, don't even bother, you can't get a fallacy past me -- normally I just let them slide in my day to day if the conclusions are actually true, because it isn't worth trying to fight the fact that most people's logic sucks.
Sometimes etymology is related, sometimes it isn't -- but again I understand this better because since many words in English came from French and French is my third language, I get to see how each language has molded the meaning of essentially the same word.

Definition is not the same as redefinition. Yours is just a dodge.

What is your first language?

French may be your third language, but I suspect you are illiterate in the first two.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#35044 Jun 10, 2013
ServantOfWisdom wrote:
<quoted text>
LOLOLOL. They did make you take statistics right? Because you must be aware that anyone with a high-school education can point out all of the mistakes in this document which would make it inadmissible to even the most lenient of real reporters, statisticians and the like.
I don't have the patience to break it down, but just by skimming over the top:
Loaded Questions, Texas Sharpshooter Fallacy, Biased and unverified sample with no defense against over-generalization, no margin of error.
On this last point, seeing as the sample is around 200 active witnesses out of 7 million, even if all the participants answered truthfully (which again, the survey is incapable of verifying, and the other massive mistakes committed make it extremely unlikely of being the case) the margin of error per question would be roughly ~11%(99.9% confidence level) compounded through the entire survey would mean that this survey is still not even vaguely representative of the population. In other words, the proper sample size for a truthful representation would be around ~17,000 participants.
I'm bored of talking about this, let me go play some Lumosity.
But do let me know when you have solid evidence. Which you won't. Because you can't. That isn't to say you are definitely wrong, it just means you have no facts to back you up. If you are alright living life without facts, then kudos to you. I for one get my information from a source that has a 100% sample and performs statistical work admirably ;).

2 semesters of graduate level statistics, 1 applied graduate research class and a truck load of stats in my masters thesis.

This type of research is not definitive but is very fertile for the generation of testable hypotheses.

What do this initial results suggest as to the reason most JWs leave?

By the watchtower cults own statistics about 1 in 100 witnesses are disfellowshipped and shunned each year and apostasy is not even the the number one cause.

about 1/4 of the people leaving the cult are due to being shunned.

166,000 left the cult in 2005.
45,000 were shunned (and not reinstated) in the same year.

Sounds like the poll knows more about your cult than you do.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#35045 Jun 10, 2013
yon wrote:
<quoted text>
The problem with cultists is that they do not understand Scripture because they don't understand the language or the culture, so there's no point debating them - it's like they're locked in a cage.

This is exactly the point. It is the culture more than the language even. Most people know nothing about the time, places and people of the Bible outside of what they can deduce (often incorrectly) from the text itself.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#35047 Jun 11, 2013
yon wrote:
<quoted text>
Did Messiah shun anyone? NOOOO He set the example to be followed by any who would be his followers- not that of some religious club that likes to think of itself in terms of being the Nazi equivalent of being racially "pure" unlike all of her other sister denominations of falsehood and just like Muslims. Add that one percent up over 40 years and it amounts to quite a purging. And it's quite true that apostasy is not the number one cause. There's a whole unwritten list of things that can get you kicked out in their secret tribunals. Dubs don't have love because they're all suspicious of each other - especially elders. What they have is group pride that allows them to justify kicking anybody under the bus and not giving it another thought. It's a very Orwellian world,

Yes, that is clear. The level of paranoia within the organization is amazing. Again, analogies to the Soviet Union under Stalin pop to mind.

And it is not the lower level peon door-to-door sales people ("publishers") that feel it as much as do the higher ups. What surprised me about the statistics I posted was how many of the inner circle sort of folks left or were thrown out of the cult.

Location hidden

#35048 Jun 11, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
You have no clue as to what is "scripturally obvious". You don't even own a real Bible.
Ad hominem. Ergo, Red Herring.
Dogen wrote:
The Catholics are as welcome to claim him as is anyone else.
Bad Company Fallacy.
Dogen wrote:
I can understand why the JW would want to claim him, however. They love to pretend they are martyrs.
Gonna say... probably sharpshooter fallacy but with implied elements of Genetic Red Herring Fallacy mixed in. Some Straw-man element is definitely present as well.
Dogen wrote:
Oh poor widdle Watchtwower cultists, people pick on them and kick sand in their faces just because they make up a religion that is not based on the bible and pretend that it is. Oh boo hoo hoo!
Straw-man grows and continues with an emotional appeal and implied ad hominem.
Dogen wrote:
Grow a pair.
Ad hominem. Emotional appeal. Both of which are Red Herrings, so a red herring at its core.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 2 hr PadMark 673,073
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 2 hr Sky Writer 31 184,617
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 3 hr Chris Rather 104,609
Obama Pays Muslim Brotherhood Yearly Membership... 6 hr Chris Rather 2
Do women think men with blue eyes are more attr... (Dec '08) 7 hr Chris Rather 98
*** All Time Favorite Songs *** (Dec '10) 7 hr Rider on the Storm 4,049
News Michael Jackson's doctor: 'I told the truth' (Aug '09) 8 hr Holy Child Jehova... 395
Lido Theater, Dallas (Mar '12) 8 hr blkguylooking 471
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 12 hr Holy Child Jehova... 981,223
More from around the web