Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple...
Student

Beavercreek, OR

#34911 Jun 4, 2013
Yes, Christendom’s Waters Today are certainly Wormwood --
Jeremiah 23:15-Therefore this is what Jehovah of armies has said against the prophets:“Here I am making them eat wormwood, and I will give them poisoned water to drink. For from the prophets of Jerusalem apostasy has gone forth to all the land.

Revelation 8:11-And the name of the star is called Wormwood. And a third of the waters turned into wormwood, and many of the men died from the waters, because these had been made bitter.
socci

Plattsburg, MO

#34914 Jun 4, 2013
Much of what JW teach is truth. However I find ALL denominations in error & ran by the enemy. They all should be abandoned. Only then can you shed this error and see truth.

One blatant error with JW is the 7th day Sabbath.

There are many others too.
socci

Plattsburg, MO

#34915 Jun 4, 2013
yon wrote:
And it's not jehovah, the lord or jesus

There is no salvation in pronunciation so if we want to call him Jesus then we know who we refer to.

The translation from the Greek is Jesus. Joshua from the Hebrew.
socci

Plattsburg, MO

#34916 Jun 4, 2013
Student wrote:
Yes, Christendom’s Waters Today are certainly Wormwood --
Jeremiah 23:15-Therefore this is what Jehovah of armies has said against the prophets:“Here I am making them eat wormwood, and I will give them poisoned water to drink. For from the prophets of Jerusalem apostasy has gone forth to all the land.
Revelation 8:11-And the name of the star is called Wormwood. And a third of the waters turned into wormwood, and many of the men died from the waters, because these had been made bitter.

Most of Revelation has been fulfilled being 2000 years from the cross in 2031.

• The Pit Beast
www.geocities.ws/pitbeast/

Since: Mar 13

Location hidden

#34917 Jun 4, 2013
socci wrote:
<quoted text>
There is no salvation in pronunciation so if we want to call him Jesus then we know who we refer to.
The translation from the Greek is Jesus. Joshua from the Hebrew.
Well said.
Student

Beavercreek, OR

#34918 Jun 5, 2013
socci wrote:
Much of what JW teach is truth. However I find ALL denominations in error & ran by the enemy. They all should be abandoned. Only then can you shed this error and see truth.
One blatant error with JW is the 7th day Sabbath.
There are many others too.
The Scriptures plainly state that Christ’s sacrifice “abolished ... the Law of commandments consisting in decrees” and that God “blotted out the handwritten document against us, which consisted of decrees ... and He has taken it out of the way by nailing it to the torture stake.” It was the complete Mosaic Law that was “abolished,”“blotted out,” taken “out of the way.”(Eph 2:13-15; Col 2:13, 14)

Consequently, the whole system of Sabbaths, be they days or years, was brought to its end with the rest of the Law by the sacrifice of Christ Jesus. This explains why Christians can esteem “one day as all others,” whether it be a sabbath or any other day, with no fear of judgment by another.(Ro 14:4-6; Col 2:16)

After Jesus’ death, his apostles at no time commanded Sabbath observance. The Sabbath was not included as a Christian requirement at Acts 15:28, 29, or later. Nor did they institute a new sabbath, a “day of the Lord.” Even though Jesus was resurrected on the day now called Sunday, nowhere does the Bible indicate that this day of his resurrection should be commemorated as a “new” sabbath or in any other way. First Corinthians 16:2 and Acts 20:7 have been appealed to by some as a basis for observing Sunday as a Sabbath.

From the foregoing it is clear that literal observance of Sabbath days and years was not a part of first-century Christianity. It was not until 321 C.E. that Constantine decreed Sunday (Latin: dies Solis, an old title associated with astrology and sun worship, not Sabbatum [Sabbath] or dies Domini [Lord’s day]) to be a day of rest for all but the farmers. it-2 Sabbath Day, p. 833
Student

Beavercreek, OR

#34921 Jun 5, 2013
How could one hallow, that is, sanctify, or set apart, the name of God unless one knew it and used it?

Since: Mar 13

Location hidden

#34922 Jun 5, 2013
Student wrote:
How could one hallow, that is, sanctify, or set apart, the name of God unless one knew it and used it?
Last week's watchtower was very good. It's worth noting that even though Eve was the first person recorded in the bible to use Jehovah's personal name, she didn't really 'know' his name in the full extent as the study showed.

It was a valid point, because even though Eve knew the perfect pronunciation of God's name -- something that we can no longer know -- her actions demonstrated that she did not 'know' "God's name" as well as we do today. Knowing God's name involves more than pronunciation, no doubt.

When Moses asked what name he should give the Israelites when asked who sent him, it wasn't pronunciation that Moses was looking for.
Student

Beavercreek, OR

#34924 Jun 5, 2013
ServantOfWisdom wrote:
<quoted text>
Last week's watchtower was very good. It's worth noting that even though Eve was the first person recorded in the bible to use Jehovah's personal name, she didn't really 'know' his name in the full extent as the study showed.
It was a valid point, because even though Eve knew the perfect pronunciation of God's name -- something that we can no longer know -- her actions demonstrated that she did not 'know' "God's name" as well as we do today. Knowing God's name involves more than pronunciation, no doubt.
When Moses asked what name he should give the Israelites when asked who sent him, it wasn't pronunciation that Moses was looking for.
Yes it was. I like paragraph 8 question. How is Jehovah living up to his name in our time?

The paragraph says: Likewise today, Jehovah is ‘proving to be.” By means of his Son, he foretold that during the last days, the Kingdom message would be preached “in all the inhabited Earth.”(Matt. 24:14) Who else but God Almighty could foretell such a work, see that it is done, and use many “unlettered and ordinary” people to accomplish it?(Acts 4:13) Hence, when we share in this work, we actually share in the fulfillment of Bible prophecy. We honor our Father and show that we really mean it when we pray:“Let your name be sanctified. Let you kingdom come. Let your will take place, as in heaven also up earth.”-Matt. 6:9, 10. Watchtower March 15, 2013 Study Articles

Yes, we look to the future with confidence in the promise at Psalms 9:10- And those knowing your name will trust in you, For you will certainly not leave those looking for you, O Jehovah.

As God himself declares more than sixty times through the prophet Ezekiel,“They will have to know that I am Jehovah.”—Ezekiel 38:23. Yes soon all who ignore or defy Jehovah will be forced to recognize him.

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#34926 Jun 5, 2013
yon wrote:
<quoted text>
In what language?
"Then God spoke to Moses, telling him,“I am Yahweh. 3 I appeared to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob as God Almighty, but I did not reveal My name Yahweh to them." Ex 6:2(Holman)
You're in the wrong era, try the Christian era, not the Mosaic era, and you'll be on track on knowing the truth.

Location hidden

#34927 Jun 5, 2013
Student wrote:
Beliefs and Attitudes of Christendom
The wicked are punished after death in hell:“According to traditional Christian belief, hell is a place of unending anguish and pain.”(The World Book Encyclopedia, 1987 edition)
What the Bible really Says
The wages of sin is death, not life in torment.
Romans 6:23-“For the wages of sin pays is death, but the gift God gives is everlasting life by Christ Jesus our Lord.”
The dead rest unconscious in hell (Hades, Sheol), awaiting a resurrection.
Psalm 89:48-What able-bodied man is there alive who will not see death? Can he provide escape for his soul from the hand of Sheol?
John 5:28, 29-Do not marvel at this, because the hour is coming in which all those in the memorial tombs will hear his voice and come out, those who did good things to a resurrection of life, those who practiced vile things to a resurrection of judgment.
John 11:24, 25-Martha said to him:“I know he will rise in the resurrection on the last day.” Jesus said to her:“I am the resurrection and the life. He that exercises faith in me, even though he dies, will come to life”
Revelation 20:13, 14-And the sea gave up those dead in it, and death and Hades gave up those dead in them, and they were judged individually according to their deeds. And death and Hades were hurled into the lake of fire. This means the second death, the lake of fire.
Was the rich man while in hades unconscious when he was asking of Abraham favors?

Location hidden

#34928 Jun 5, 2013
The Body Sleeps, Not the Soul

Here is a fact that must be underscored. When the term “sleep” is used to depict the death of a person, the allusion is always to the disposition of the body, not the soul. There is no passage in the Scriptures that reflects the notion that one’s soul sleeps (i.e., is unconscious) in death. The case to the contrary may be argued briefly in the following fashion.

The prophet Daniel affirmed that those who “sleep katheudonton in the dust of the earth shall awake”(Dan. 12:2). Note that the part of man that “sleeps” is that which is deposited in the “dust of the earth.” This obviously is a reference to the physical body. The awakening, then, is a reference to the bodily resurrection.

Location hidden

#34929 Jun 5, 2013
Is the Soul Conscious After Death?

There are those, who identify themselves with Christianity, who contend that the dead are not conscious in the intermediate state, i.e., in that condition of existence between the time of one’s death and that of the resurrection of his body. Martin Luther once taught that the condition between death and the resurrection is “a deep and dreamless sleep without consciousness and feeling”(Althaus, 414-416).

There have been some among the churches of Christ who have advocated this concept. For example, in a speech delivered at Pepperdine University in April of 1988, F. LaGard Smith asserted the theory of “soul-sleeping.” But this position is seriously flawed and is refuted by considerable biblical evidence.

The narrative regarding the rich man and Lazarus unquestionably demonstrates the consciousness of humanity (of both the evil and the righteous) in the intermediate state (Lk. 16:19ff). While some would dismiss this account as a mere parable, the evidence is against that view.
•The text has traits that suggest it is not a parable (e.g., Lazarus and Abraham being named).
•It would not matter if it were, for a parable portrays circumstances that are true to life (unlike, for example, the fable).

For a more detailed consideration of this matter, see the article: Are the Dead Conscious?.

Location hidden

#34930 Jun 5, 2013
The parallel passage in Luke 12:4-5 makes this point even clearer. Luke wrote:“Do not be afraid of those who kill the body, and after that have no more that they can do. But I will show you whom you should fear: Fear Him who, after He hath killed, has power to cast into hell; yes, I say to you, fear Him!” If physical death brings annihilation of the soul, then it is ridiculous to speak of casting the soul into hell after killing the body.

Location hidden

#34931 Jun 5, 2013
God gives people this life on Earth to prepare their spirits for their eternal abode. When a person dies, his or her body goes into the grave, while the conscious spirit enters the Hadean realm to await the final Judgment. At the Second Coming of Christ, all spirits will come forth from hades and be resurrected in immortal bodies. All will then face God in judgment, receive the pronouncement of eternal sentence, and then be consigned to heaven or hell for eternity. Listen closely to the inspired words of the apostle Peter:

Therefore, since all these things shall be dissolved, what manner of persons ought you to be in holy conduct and godliness, looking for and hastening the coming of the day of God, because of which the heavens will be dissolved being on fire, and the elements will melt with fervent heat?...You therefore, beloved, since you know these things beforehand, beware lest you also fall from your own steadfastness, being lead away with the error of the wicked; but grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To Him be the glory both now and forever. Amen”(2 Peter 3:11-12,17-18).
socci

Plattsburg, MO

#34933 Jun 5, 2013
Student wrote:
The Scriptures plainly state that Christ’s sacrifice “abolished ... the Law of commandments consisting in decrees” and that God “blotted out the handwritten document against us, which consisted of decrees ... and He has taken it out of the way by nailing it to the torture stake.” It was the complete Mosaic Law that was “abolished,”“blotted out,” taken “out of the way.”(Eph 2:13-15; Col 2:13, 14)
Consequently, the whole system of Sabbaths, be they days or years, was brought to its end with the rest of the Law by the sacrifice of Christ Jesus. This explains why Christians can esteem “one day as all others,” whether it be a sabbath or any other day, with no fear of judgment by another.(Ro 14:4-6; Col 2:16)
After Jesus’ death, his apostles at no time commanded Sabbath observance. The Sabbath was not included as a Christian requirement at Acts 15:28, 29, or later. Nor did they institute a new sabbath, a “day of the Lord.” Even though Jesus was resurrected on the day now called Sunday, nowhere does the Bible indicate that this day of his resurrection should be commemorated as a “new” sabbath or in any other way. First Corinthians 16:2 and Acts 20:7 have been appealed to by some as a basis for observing Sunday as a Sabbath.
From the foregoing it is clear that literal observance of Sabbath days and years was not a part of first-century Christianity. It was not until 321 C.E. that Constantine decreed Sunday (Latin: dies Solis, an old title associated with astrology and sun worship, not Sabbatum [Sabbath] or dies Domini [Lord’s day]) to be a day of rest for all but the farmers. it-2 Sabbath Day, p. 833

first, you need to get a better translation. What you have is a butchered version. Even still notice the what was nailed to the cross were the "commandments contained in the ordinances" that were the "handwriting of Moses" -- this is the Law of Moses, not God's 10C law. Two different things. The sacrificial system was nailed to the cross as I explained earlier.

The apostles did continue in the 7th day Sabbath.. and Jesus mentioned the Sabbath after his resurrection. All 10C remain.
socci

Plattsburg, MO

#34934 Jun 5, 2013
Working for the Lord wrote:
The Body Sleeps, Not the Soul
Here is a fact that must be underscored. When the term “sleep” is used to depict the death of a person, the allusion is always to the disposition of the body, not the soul. There is no passage in the Scriptures that reflects the notion that one’s soul sleeps (i.e., is unconscious) in death. The case to the contrary may be argued briefly in the following fashion.
The prophet Daniel affirmed that those who “sleep katheudonton in the dust of the earth shall awake”(Dan. 12:2). Note that the part of man that “sleeps” is that which is deposited in the “dust of the earth.” This obviously is a reference to the physical body. The awakening, then, is a reference to the bodily resurrection.

Man is a living soul. There is no disemobied 'soul'.

The rich man and Lazarus was a parable.

Location hidden

#34935 Jun 5, 2013
yon wrote:
<quoted text>
You're still in the Catholic era even though you don't practice some of their overt pagan traditions, your organization is pure RCC in structure. The only difference is their costumes. Your elders ought to sport priest collars instead of neck ties.
The catholic church branched off the CoC, not the other way. Do you believe in purgatory? I do not as it's strictly a false doctrine created by the RCC. Have you ever seen anything about a catholic church in the bible? That answer would be NO. There's no mention of any church other than the CoC.

Location hidden

#34936 Jun 5, 2013
socci wrote:
<quoted text>
Man is a living soul. There is no disemobied 'soul'.
The rich man and Lazarus was a parable.
Yes you're right, man is a living soul and disembodied is actually translated as "departed" souls.. "Departed" souls Hades is defined as “the common receptacle of disembodied spirits”(Online Bible Greek Lexicon); “the abode of departed spirits”(New American Standard Greek Lexicon); “the place of departed souls”(Strong’s Complete Dictionary of Bible Words). Some occasionally refer to Hades as “the grave of the soul” because that’s where a person’s soul goes when they physically die (Lk. 16:19-31).

Since most English speaking Bibles rely on the Masoretic Text for the Old Testament, the original language of the Old Testament (in those Bibles) is based on Hebrew (with some Aramaic) as the original language. As a result, the word for “the place of departed souls” in the Old Testament is not “Hades” but “Sheol.” Both are a reference to the same exact place (Ps. 16:10; Acts 2:27).

The story of the Rich Man and Lazarus is another well-known illustration of Jesus. Through it we learn about what life after death is like. At times you will find some who dismiss the significance of the story by stating that it is only a parable. However, it is not called a parable in the Scriptures and it contains one feature that makes it different from the parables that Jesus told: this story names one of the main characters. In Jesus’ parables, a illustration is given from life, but the illustrations are generalized. They are something that could easily happen, but Jesus is not talking about one particular event. In the story of the Rich Man and Lazarus, details are given about a particular event. Even if this was a generalized tale, it doesn’t mean the things discussed are not true or only imaginary. All other parables are based on real events. Labeling this story a parable does not make it any less real.

Location hidden

#34937 Jun 5, 2013
In regard to the sabbath, the church can not keep the sabbath because that covenant was to the JEWS only. The sabbath was given only to the JEWS in the old testament. When I speak of the church I speak of the one founded on the Day of Pentecost (ACTS 2). So that church is never told in the new testament to keep the sabbath, why?...because that was only to the Jews. Now in the new testament we have examples (Acts 20:7, I Corin. 16:2) of disciple of Jesus coming together on the first day of the week in acts of worship (which is why the church worships on the first day of the week). The sabbath of course was the seventh day (Saturday). God does want us to keep his commandments, and he also wants us to divide the Word of Truth accurately (II Tim. 2:15). We must understand the old and new testaments properly so we can divide the word of truth accurately as well.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Urgent Message: Dangers Of The Pokemon Game 30 min btw 2
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 30 min PELE78 56,506
still a Virgin at 45 I'm a male 45 min Steve 1
sexy sister and my girlfriend family holiday 2 hr Johnny21 2
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 2 hr truth 650,853
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 3 hr River Tam 971,903
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 3 hr Demon Finder 18,667
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 5 hr bad bob 183,001
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 9 hr Toby 106,105
More from around the web