Student

Oregon City, OR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 31, 2013

What beliefs of Jehovah’s Witnesses set them apart as different from other religions?

(1) Bible: Jehovah’s Witnesses believe that the entire Bible is the inspired Word of God, and instead of adhering to a creed based on human tradition, they hold to the Bible as the standard for all their beliefs.

(2) God: They worship Jehovah as the only true God and freely speak to others about him and his loving purposes toward mankind. Anyone who publicly witnesses about Jehovah is usually identified as belonging to the one group—“Jehovah’s Witnesses.”

(3) Jesus Christ: They believe, not that Jesus Christ is part of a Trinity, but that, as the Bible says, he is the Son of God, the first of God’s creations; that he had a prehuman existence and that his life was transferred from heaven to the womb of a virgin, Mary; that his perfect human life laid down in sacrifice makes possible salvation to eternal life for those who exercise faith; that Christ is actively ruling as King, with God-given authority over all the earth since 1914.

(4) God’s Kingdom: They believe that God’s Kingdom is the only hope for mankind; that it is a real government; that it will soon destroy the present wicked system of things, including all human governments, and that it will produce a new system in which righteousness will prevail.

(5) Heavenly life: They believe that 144,000 spirit-anointed Christians will share with Christ in his heavenly Kingdom, ruling as kings with him. They do not believe that heaven is the reward for everyone who is “good.”

(6) The earth: They believe that God’s original purpose for the earth will be fulfilled; that the earth will be completely populated by worshipers of Jehovah and that these will be able to enjoy eternal life in human perfection; that even the dead will be raised to an opportunity to share in these blessings.

(7) Death: They believe that the dead are conscious of absolutely nothing; that they are experiencing neither pain nor pleasure in some spirit realm; that they do not exist except in God’s memory, so hope for their future life lies in a resurrection from the dead.

(8) Last days: They believe that we are living now, since 1914, in the last days of this wicked system of things; that some who saw the events of 1914 will also see the complete destruction of the present wicked world; that lovers of righteousness will survive into a cleansed earth.

(9) Separate from the world: They earnestly endeavor to be no part of the world, as Jesus said would be true of his followers. They show genuine Christian love for their neighbors, but they do not share in the politics or the wars of any nation. They provide for the material needs of their families but shun the world’s avid pursuit of material things and personal fame and its excessive indulgence in pleasure.

(10) Apply Bible counsel: They believe that it is important to apply the counsel of God’s Word in everyday life now—at home, in school, in business, in their congregation. Regardless of a person’s past way of life, he may become one of Jehovah’s Witnesses if he abandons practices condemned by God’s Word and applies its godly counsel.

But if anyone thereafter makes a practice of adultery, fornication, homosexuality, drug abuse, drunkenness, lying, or stealing, he will be disfellowshipped from the organization.
Interestingly, some of the Jews asked whether the activity of Jesus Christ represented “a new teaching.”(Mark 1:27) Later, some Greeks thought the apostle Paul was introducing a “new teaching.”(Acts 17:19, 20) It was new to the ears of those who were hearing it, but the important thing was that it was the truth, in full harmony with God’s Word.
Student

Oregon City, OR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 31, 2013

Are Jesus’ words at Matthew 18:18-20 to be understood to mean that heaven is bound by decisions made by men on earth?

These verses read:“Truly I say to you men, Whatever things you may bind on earth will be things bound in heaven, and whatever things you may loose on earth will be things loosed in heaven. Again I truly say to you, If two of you on earth agree concerning anything of importance that they should request, it will take place for them due to my Father in heaven. For where there are two or three gathered together in my name, there I am in their midst.”

As the New World Translation (here quoted) and some other translations show, the things that are ‘bound’ or ‘loosed’ on earth are things that have already been ‘bound’ or ‘loosed’ in heaven. The Greek words here used literally mean “having been bound” or “having been loosed,” which are in the perfect tense, passive voice. In other words, the tense suggests that the action had already been decided upon in heaven and is merely reflected in what is subsequently decided upon on earth by those who wish to reflect “wisdom from above.”(Jas. 3:17, 18)“Bound” would refer to being found guilty for punishment; “loosed” would refer to being found innocent.

These words of Jesus follow his discussion of the procedure that should be followed if a servant of God has a major “fault” to take up with his brother.(Verses 15-17) This could lead to the charge being taken up by the “congregation” in that the matter would come before the responsible brothers in the congregation for review and judgment. If the charge was proved true and sufficiently gross, with the individual showing no repentance, the result would be that this one would be considered as “a man of the nations and as a tax collector.” He would be disfellowshiped. All of this, of course, would require deliberations. And these deliberations are what Jesus had reference to in verses 18 to 20.

Since holy spirit would come to Jesus’ disciples through Jesus from and after Pentecost 33 C.E., it could be said that “where there are two or three gathered together in my [Jesus’] name, there I am in their midst.” All gathered to review the matter would need to be alert to the leadings of Jehovah’s spirit.

(((Particularly would they need to weigh matters carefully in the light of his Word, including the instructions and teachings of Jesus, to see what Jehovah’s mind would be on the alleged conduct and what should be done if the evidence proves the charge as being true and the individual does not repent.)))

Of course, those weighing matters impartially might find the accused innocent, or there may be insufficient evidence.

In the first century, Christians had miraculous operations of Jehovah’s holy spirit in some matters of judgment, such as in the judgment of Ananias and Sapphira.(Acts 5:1-11; 1 Cor. 12:4-11) After miraculous gifts of the spirit ceased with the death of the apostles, Christians have not expected direct miraculous indications from heaven as to how a matter should be decided.(1 Cor. 13:8-13) Nevertheless, we still have what Jehovah’s Word says about proper conduct and how matters should be decided. We can, in effect, determine what has already been decided on a matter in the heavens. Admittedly, due to human imperfections, mistakes in judgment are made at times, but this only emphasizes even more the need to adhere closely to the instructions in Jehovah’s Word in handling matters so as to be assured that what is decided is what has already been decided in heaven.

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 1, 2013

I can't understand the FACT that the JW's would believe what their taught after failing not once or twice or three or four or five or six or seven or eight or nine or ten times to predict the coming of the Lord to no avail would or should ring a BIG bell in their ear that something isn't true. The fact that they attempted to predict the Lord's coming is a sin as he tells you that no man knoweth, not even Jesus, although he probably knows now because all he would have to do is ask the Father, but at the time Jesus didn't know then and maybe doesn't know now, but the fact is no JW's knows nor any other man.

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 1, 2013

yon wrote:
As an illustration showing how far dubs have deviated from their roots and the Bible....
What Pastor Russell Said p 479
Meetings Elders in Court of Inquiry Questions 1916
"Is it proper for the elders to sit at a court of inquiry and cite any supposed to be walking in a disorderly manner to appear before them and explain their conduct? Or should the Lord's advice at Matt 18:15-18 be followed?"
Answer - "I agree with the suggestion of the question that it should be handled in harmony with the Lord's direction in the passage cited. The Lord's word does not authorize any court of the Elders, or anyone else, to become busybodies. THis would be going back to the practices of the Dark Ages during the inquisition; and we would be showing the same spirit as did the inquisitors. The Lord has put the matter in a simple way and we could not improve upon it......We should remember the word of the Lord which says,'The Lord will judge his people.' If he should need any punishment, we may trust the Lord to give it to him and not take the matter into our own hands. We should have confidence in the Lord. If we can stop the wrong that is as far as we can go. But if the wrong doer should persist in his wrong-doing and not repent, and if the matter should be of sufficient importance, then we are to bring the matter to the attention of the of the Church for correction. We should not bring any small or trifling matter. It is my judgment that 3/4 of the things which are brought to my attention - had better be dropped. However there might be an exception in case the matter had gone beyond the individual and had somehow involved the whole congregation. In such an event it might be impossible to deal with the matter in an individual way. Then the Elders MIGHT constitute themselves into a Board or Committee, and get one of their number to look into the case and see if the wrong could not be stopped, or adjusted. When the matter gets beyond the individual, we have no advice beyond the Word of God. Let us be careful not to become like Babylon and hold inquisition and mix ourselves up. The Word of God is our sufficiency and we should follow it closely and thereby avoid confusion."
dubs have twisted Matt 18:18 - "take the matter to the congregation" to mean take it to the elders for disposition in secret.

The Watchtower cult is very reminiscent of the former Soviet Union in a number of ways. The above is an obvious similarity in that often former leaders sometimes fell out or back into favor as politics changed. Of course the Watchtower cults manor of administering justice is also similar.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 1, 2013

Student wrote:
What beliefs of Jehovah’s Witnesses set them apart as different from other religions?....

Yes, we know they are nuts. Why belabor the details?

Thanks for elaborating on their heresies, however.

As we have pointed out they are unable to, rationally, justify their demented beliefs, however.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 1, 2013

Student wrote:
Are Jesus’ words at Matthew 18:18-20 to be understood to mean that heaven is bound by decisions made by men on earth?......

As a customer service gesture can you preface your posts with the disclaimer that another 'cut and paste' spam session is coming and that disinterested readers (all of us) can skip to the end?

Not that I seriously expect a watchtower cultist to be honest about what they are doing.

Do you get points for this crud?

Do you put it in your sales reports to your watchtower handlers?

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 1, 2013

yon wrote:
<quoted text>
BLIZZARD WARNING!

It's rain-ing SPAM!
It's raining Spam..!

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 1, 2013

Working for the Lord wrote:
I can't understand the FACT that the JW's would believe what their taught after failing not once or twice or three or four or five or six or seven or eight or nine or ten times to predict the coming of the Lord to no avail would or should ring a BIG bell in their ear that something isn't true. The fact that they attempted to predict the Lord's coming is a sin as he tells you that no man knoweth, not even Jesus, although he probably knows now because all he would have to do is ask the Father, but at the time Jesus didn't know then and maybe doesn't know now, but the fact is no JW's knows nor any other man.

This is one of the reasons they target low education underachievers.

Low self esteem is like money in the bank for the watchtower. They can't pay off lawsuits by selling bibles, after all.
Student

Oregon City, OR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 1, 2013

As Jehovah’s Witnesses, WE COUNT IT A JOY AND A PRIVILEGE to announce to the world that in 1914 “the kingdom of the world did become the kingdom of our Lord [Jehovah] and of his Christ.”(Revelation 11:15)

WE ARE RESOLVED to move forward fearlessly in making known Jehovah’s declared judgments on Babylon the Great and in warning of the imminence of God’s war of Armageddon.

WE ARE DETERMINED to echo, in a loud voice and “to every nation and tribe and tongue and people,” the glad tidings that “a new heaven and a new earth” are at hand for the blessing of obedient mankind.(Revelation 14:6; 21:1)

WE REJOICE that as a result of this proclamation, a great crowd of more than seven million from all nations is now united with us around the globe.

Along with the angel flying in midheaven, all of us declare:“Fear God and give him glory, because the hour of the judgment by him has arrived, and so worship the One who made the heaven and the earth and sea and fountains of waters.”(Revelation 14:7)

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 1, 2013

Student wrote:
As Jehovah’s Witnesses, WE COUNT IT A JOY AND A PRIVILEGE to announce to the world that in 1914 “the kingdom of the world did become the kingdom of our Lord [Jehovah] and of his Christ.”(Revelation 11:15)
WE ARE RESOLVED to move forward fearlessly in making known Jehovah’s declared judgments on Babylon the Great and in warning of the imminence of God’s war of Armageddon.
WE ARE DETERMINED to echo, in a loud voice and “to every nation and tribe and tongue and people,” the glad tidings that “a new heaven and a new earth” are at hand for the blessing of obedient mankind.(Revelation 14:6; 21:1)
WE REJOICE that as a result of this proclamation, a great crowd of more than seven million from all nations is now united with us around the globe.
Along with the angel flying in midheaven, all of us declare:“Fear God and give him glory, because the hour of the judgment by him has arrived, and so worship the One who made the heaven and the earth and sea and fountains of waters.”(Revelation 14:7)

You left out WE are nuts and WE make things up as we go.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 1, 2013

yon wrote:
<quoted text>
And how about 1917 and the Balfour Declaration when the kingdom reign began to reestablish Israel in the Holy Land and Satan put Judge Rutherfraud in charge of the WT where uponst he and the entire board of directors of the "new WT" were thrown into Federal prison.

Soviet Union.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 1, 2013

yon wrote:
Of course Satan(Stalin) bailed them out so the counter-revolution could proceed.

I think we have stumbled upon a metaphor that is bearing good fruit.

Governing Body of Jehovah's Witnesses = Kremlin.

They were born of a similar power structure and organization.

Watchtowerism and other cults seem to mirror authoritarian governments, especially in their early stages.

Weather the source of the movement is political or religious (not much difference between them) the need to dominate and control the masses becomes a critical factor in the cults growth
Bella

Perth, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 1, 2013

I feel for The Jehovah Witnesses. They are vulnerable and unwitting victims of pious fraud, making The Watchtower business filthy rich.
I have read Watchtower documents containing sneaky requests for members bequeathing property and life insurances. It goes on . Governments still allow tax free status for these charlatans and human misery is the sad result.
I have recently saved a friend from joining this cult,that's why I've read this stuff.

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 2, 2013

Student wrote:
Are you going to explain to us all what I asked in post# 34823 so people can see why you continue to believe in a religion where truth is looked upon as truth as you see it to be, but not what others know truth to be. My friend you are lost and you need to repent and get baptized at the nearest CoC and get right with God. If you choose not to answer this question on why the 10 attempts to predict the Lord's coming which failed, then why are you still believing the JW's in their religious doctrine which doesn't go by the bible and since it doesn't, you decided to make up your own bible, why?

Since: Jul 08

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 2, 2013

<quoted text> Are you going to explain to us all what I asked in post# 34823 so people can see why you continue to believe in a religion where truth is looked upon as truth as you see it to be, but not what others know truth to be. My friend you are lost and you need to repent and get baptized at the nearest CoC and get right with God. If you choose not to answer this question on why the 10 attempts to predict the Lord's coming which failed, then why are you still believing the JW's in their religious doctrine which doesn't go by the bible and since it doesn't, you decided to make up your own bible, why?
Theology fight.

Cool.
Student

Oregon City, OR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 2, 2013

<quoted text> Are you going to explain to us all what I asked in post# 34823 so people can see why you continue to believe in a religion where truth is looked upon as truth as you see it to be, but not what others know truth to be. My friend you are lost and you need to repent and get baptized at the nearest CoC and get right with God. If you choose not to answer this question on why the 10 attempts to predict the Lord's coming which failed, then why are you still believing the JW's in their religious doctrine which doesn't go by the bible and since it doesn't, you decided to make up your own bible, why?
It is a historical fact worth noting that in the March 1880 edition of the Watch Tower magazine identified the year 1914 as the time for the close of “the appointed times of the nations”(and the end of the lease of power granted the Gentile rulers). This was some 34 years before the arrival of that year and the momentous events it initiated.

In the August 30, 1914, edition of The World, a leading New York newspaper at that time, a feature article in the paper’s Sunday magazine section commented on this as follows:“The terrific war outbreak in Europe has fulfilled an extraordinary prophecy. For a quarter of a century past, through preachers and through press, the ‘International Bible Students’... have been proclaiming to the world that the Day of Wrath prophesied in the Bible would dawn in 1914.”

In Bible prophecy,“last days” or comparable expressions such as “final part of the days” were used to designate a time when events of history culminate.(Eze 38:8, 16; Da 10:14)

The content of the prophecy fixes the starting point of the “final part of the days” when the foretold events would begin to occur. Those living at the time of the prophecy’s fulfillment could therefore be spoken of as living in the “last days” or the “final part of the days.” Depending upon the nature of the prophecy, this may be a period covering just a few years or many and can apply to widely separated time periods.
Student

Oregon City, OR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 2, 2013

yon wrote:
<quoted text>
And did a jw write that?
NOOOOO. And the writer also predicted that 1914 would be the end when all the saints would have been gathered. 1915 at the latest and that he publically repented of in 1916.
Can you prove this?

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 2, 2013

Student wrote:
<quoted text>
It is a historical fact worth noting that in the March 1880 edition of the Watch Tower magazine identified the year 1914 as the time for the close of “the appointed times of the nations”(and the end of the lease of power granted the Gentile rulers). This was some 34 years before the arrival of that year and the momentous events it initiated.
In the August 30, 1914, edition of The World, a leading New York newspaper at that time, a feature article in the paper’s Sunday magazine section commented on this as follows:“The terrific war outbreak in Europe has fulfilled an extraordinary prophecy. For a quarter of a century past, through preachers and through press, the ‘International Bible Students’... have been proclaiming to the world that the Day of Wrath prophesied in the Bible would dawn in 1914.”
In Bible prophecy,“last days” or comparable expressions such as “final part of the days” were used to designate a time when events of history culminate.(Eze 38:8, 16; Da 10:14)
The content of the prophecy fixes the starting point of the “final part of the days” when the foretold events would begin to occur. Those living at the time of the prophecy’s fulfillment could therefore be spoken of as living in the “last days” or the “final part of the days.” Depending upon the nature of the prophecy, this may be a period covering just a few years or many and can apply to widely separated time periods.

ROTFLMAO.

This is hysterical that JWs are indoctrinated to believe this nonsense.

You crack me up. I DO feel sorry for you. I have pity on delusional cult members, really I do, but you bring it on yourself.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 2, 2013

yon wrote:
<quoted text>
And did a jw write that?
NOOOOO. And the writer also predicted that 1914 would be the end when all the saints would have been gathered. 1915 at the latest and that he publically repented of in 1916.

I know. If you didn't laugh at them you would cry.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 2, 2013

Student wrote:
<quoted text>
Can you prove this?

Wow. You don't know ANYTHING about your cults history.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Jehov...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 33,281 - 33,300 of38,399
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

463 Users are viewing the Top Stories Forum right now

Search the Top Stories Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 2 min Aura Mytha 715,683
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 16 min Lab28 222,982
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 20 min USA Born 529,584
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 22 min AussieBobby 255,483
Mike older man 35 min Son1995 1
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 37 min petesake kis 114,501
Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 44 min Hidingfromyou 93,106
Does anyone do incest sex with your sister (Apr '12) 10 hr Carly 107
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••