Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple...
pen

Maysville, MO

#34600 May 21, 2013
Dogen wrote:
The JWs do not use a real Bible. They use a bible written ENTIRELY to support their cult views.
Further, the Bible is the servant of the Watchtower, and not the other way around. The JWs self reference in all matters regarding biblical doctrine.
The JWs do not believe that Jesus is part of the godhead. They believe he is the angel Michael. That isn't even the tip of the iceberg.

Dogen,

There are many corrupt Bible translations. I would like all to use the most reliable KJV but many choose to use the newer NIV which is similar to the JW's NWT.

They may be in error about the Godhead. I have debated with at least one who said Jesus is not God. They are wrong about this. However what you say here about Michael being an angel is also error. ALL the Christians before the year 1900 understood Michael was the preincarnate Jesus. The Jews understood this was God also. Look at all the Bible commentaries from the 19th century and earlier and this is what is found. So it is only modern Christianity who has forgotten this Bible truth. Jesus returns with the shout of the archangel as he is chief of the angels. Michael is just one of his names. Michael is not an angel rather the archangel or chief of the angels who is God.

Anyway, you wont find the word 'cult' in the Bible. It is just a papal claim like the 'heretic' before. Heretic is in the Bible. This is why all the books on cults never include the biggest one in Rome.
Student

Oregon City, OR

#34604 May 21, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Typical cult quote; out of context.
16 Don’t be deceived, my dear brothers and sisters. 17 Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows. 18 He chose to give us birth through the word of truth, that we might be a kind of firstfruits of all he created.
Listening and Doing
19 My dear brothers and sisters, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry, 20 because human anger does not produce the righteousness that God desires. 21 Therefore, get rid of all moral filth and the evil that is so prevalent and humbly accept the word planted in you, which can save you.
But I can play the same game if you like:
2 Pet 1:2
Grace and peace be multiplied unto you through the knowledge of God, and of Jesus our Lord,
Our having an accurate knowledge of God and of Jesus our Lord” means knowing them as persons—their qualities, ways and dealings—and imitating their flawless example.

(Compare Jeremiah 22:15, 16-
15 Will you continue reigning because you are competing by use of cedar? As for your father, did he not eat and drink and execute justice and righteousness? In that case it went well with him. 16 He pleaded the legal claim of the afflicted one and the poor one. In that case it went well.‘Was not that a case of knowing me?’ is the utterance of Jehovah.

and Matthew 7:21-23-
21 “Not everyone saying to me,‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter into the kingdom of the heavens, but the one doing the will of my Father who is in the heavens will. 22 Many will say to me in that day,‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and expel demons in your name, and perform many powerful works in your name?’ 23 And yet then I will confess to them: I never knew YOU! Get away from me, YOU workers of lawlessness.

and 1 John 2:3-6-
3 And by this we have the knowledge that we have come to know him, namely, if we continue observing his commandments. 4 He that says:“I have come to know him,” and yet is not observing his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in this [person]. 5 But whoever does observe his word, truthfully in this [person] the love of God has been made perfect. By this we have the knowledge that we are in union with him. 6 He that says he remains in union with him is under obligation himself also to go on walking just as that one walked.

and 1 John 3:5, 6-
5 YOU know too that that one was made manifest to take away [our] sins, and there is no sin in him. 6 Everyone remaining in union with him does not practice sin; no one that practices sin has either seen him or come to know him.)

By our advancement in learning and in applying the principles of God’s Word, we come to know the Father and his Son better and better.

Since: Mar 13

Location hidden

#34605 May 21, 2013
yon wrote:
<quoted text>
For starters, I know a lot more than you do, not only about the Bible, but about languages and cults.
Haha, sure you do, buddy.
yon wrote:
And I don't meet with anyone in the faith locally because there aren't any.
That's so sad, because it must mean that when you follow Jesus' command of actively trying to make disciples by visiting public areas and the like you have no success. After all, you *must* be following Jesus' words on this, right? For starters, maybe you'd have an easier time if you learned Spanish to talk to the locals. To the Jews a Jew, to the Souther Americans a Southern American, right?
yon wrote:
But there are a number of online groups that I have association with. And I also don't run around calling people "lost" etc like you and other cultists do who do not possess such knowledge.
The Irony is painful:
yon wrote:
You\'re lost because you don't believe like us.
yon wrote:
FYI even jw literature, that I possess or at least used to, says that the Divine Name is "probably Yahweh." It's online if you're not to lazy to look for it.
Is that a direct quote? It said exactly what you put there? It said that it was "probably Yahweh"?

I call bluff. Prove it. Funny how much people complain about quote mining, and yet this.

Location hidden

#34606 May 21, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
THIS IS A LIE. We know EXACTLY who the NWT blasphemers were!!!
Nathan H. Knorr
Frederick W. Franz
Albert D. Schroeder
George Gangas
Milton Henschel
NONE of them were qualified to do a translation from EITHER Hebrew OR Greek. And indeed THEY NEVER DID translate a single word on their own! They took a KNOWN bible version and simply rewrote it to suit their own theology.
I wasn't aware you were present when the NWT was being created? Oh wait, you weren't? Oh then you must be able to seer into the past with some device that bends light waves, obviously! Oh wait, you don't have that either? Are you psychic? No? Ah, so in other words, you are touting more information from bogus copy and paste websites -- because the reality is, no one can say for certain who contributed to the NWT and how extensive or limited the group was.

People like you are part of the reason atheists exist. People who think they know truth but really they either made it up on the spot or someone else fabricated it, and they preach it like absolute truth. There's no shame in admitting that you don't know who made the NWT, but instead you need to make unsubstantiated claims about it to further your agenda.

Bring back empirical evidence that you know exactly who made the NWT, and I will eat my words. But you can't, Dogen, because you don't think for yourself. I figure I'm speaking to a conglomerate of copy and paste websites made by embittered sub-par authors who lacked the will or skill to prove the majority of their claims. You speak as though we do not think for yourself despite your inability to credibly assert anything in your own name.
Dogen wrote:
The NWT HAS NO MERITS. It is wholly a fabrication and is mocked in academic and religious circles alike.
If you believe lies like this then you will believe whatever the society shoves down your throat. You are to ignorant to think for yourself nor to examine the reality of your satanic society or the blasphemy they call a bible.
Coward.
Coward.
Coward.
Dogen, since I know you probably do not belong to any academic circles, you don't know what academic circles think about it. Allow me to enlighten you: There are many with mixed, but generally leaning to favorable, reviews. Most of them agree that it is a fairly accurate translation and generally abides more to the original language than do most translations. The main points they make against it are the use of Jehovah in the New Testament and they rarely complain about the Old Testament translation at all.

I don't doubt a lot of ignorant religious circles dislike the NWT, but I avoid associating with the ignorant for extended periods of time -- I prefer not to be contaminated. On that note, I should probably take a break from your post pretty soon. But before I do, I reiterate my previous post that if you are ever in the mood to discuss theology using interlinears only (since I know you cannot use the original languages, and my understanding of it is still lacking and uses mainly modern pronunciation) I would be happy to do so. No copy and paste websites, or quotes to other articles -- just us and the biblical manuscripts.

Location hidden

#34607 May 21, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
You are not and do not.
Why the lie?
Officially studied Philosophy, World Religions, Jewish Theology, Origins of Christianity, a half credit in Old Testament, and am slowly learning Greek alone. That, aside from what I studied and continue to study as a JW and on my own time. So not enough credits for a degree, but certainly enough to qualify as a "scholar" and to have met plenty of people who are currently progressing secularly in these fields.

What about you? Social studies in high school? LOL.
No, you clearly know more than that.
For example, you must have read hundreds of copy and paste websites. You can probably get a doctorate by writing a thesis on the many faces of poorly written apostate websites. heh.

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#34608 May 21, 2013
pen wrote:
<quoted text>
Dogen,
There are many corrupt Bible translations. I would like all to use the most reliable KJV but many choose to use the newer NIV which is similar to the JW's NWT.
They may be in error about the Godhead. I have debated with at least one who said Jesus is not God. They are wrong about this. However what you say here about Michael being an angel is also error. ALL the Christians before the year 1900 understood Michael was the preincarnate Jesus. The Jews understood this was God also. Look at all the Bible commentaries from the 19th century and earlier and this is what is found. So it is only modern Christianity who has forgotten this Bible truth. Jesus returns with the shout of the archangel as he is chief of the angels. Michael is just one of his names. Michael is not an angel rather the archangel or chief of the angels who is God.
Anyway, you wont find the word 'cult' in the Bible. It is just a papal claim like the 'heretic' before. Heretic is in the Bible. This is why all the books on cults never include the biggest one in Rome.

I'm sorry, but I stopped reading when you said the KJV was the most accurate bible. I tried to read more, but the tears of laughter would not allow it.

Try me again later.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#34611 May 21, 2013
Student wrote:
<quoted text>
Our having an accurate knowledge of God and of Jesus our Lord” means knowing them as persons—their qualities, ways and dealings—and imitating their flawless example.
(Compare Jeremiah 22:15, 16-
15 Will you continue reigning because you are competing by use of cedar? As for your father, did he not eat and drink and execute justice and righteousness? In that case it went well with him. 16 He pleaded the legal claim of the afflicted one and the poor one. In that case it went well.‘Was not that a case of knowing me?’ is the utterance of Jehovah.
and Matthew 7:21-23-
21 “Not everyone saying to me,‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter into the kingdom of the heavens, but the one doing the will of my Father who is in the heavens will. 22 Many will say to me in that day,‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and expel demons in your name, and perform many powerful works in your name?’ 23 And yet then I will confess to them: I never knew YOU! Get away from me, YOU workers of lawlessness.
and 1 John 2:3-6-
3 And by this we have the knowledge that we have come to know him, namely, if we continue observing his commandments. 4 He that says:“I have come to know him,” and yet is not observing his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in this [person]. 5 But whoever does observe his word, truthfully in this [person] the love of God has been made perfect. By this we have the knowledge that we are in union with him. 6 He that says he remains in union with him is under obligation himself also to go on walking just as that one walked.
and 1 John 3:5, 6-
5 YOU know too that that one was made manifest to take away [our] sins, and there is no sin in him. 6 Everyone remaining in union with him does not practice sin; no one that practices sin has either seen him or come to know him.)
By our advancement in learning and in applying the principles of God’s Word, we come to know the Father and his Son better and better.

As you are unable to read (the JW cult loves uneducated brainwashees) I see no reason to reply.

When/if you learn to read then go over this again.

Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
16 Don’t be deceived, my dear brothers and sisters. 17 Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows. 18 He chose to give us birth through the word of truth, that we might be a kind of firstfruits of all he created.
Listening and Doing
19 My dear brothers and sisters, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry, 20 because human anger does not produce the righteousness that God desires. 21 Therefore, get rid of all moral filth and the evil that is so prevalent and humbly accept the word planted in you, which can save you.
Grace and peace be multiplied unto you through the knowledge of God, and of Jesus our Lord,

Location hidden

#34614 May 21, 2013
Dogen wrote:
the random scripture you like does not take away from the fact that:
1. The watchtower cult lies.
2. The watchtower cult false prophecies.
3. The watchtower cult uses psychological manipulation in its literature.
4. The watchtower cult sodomized the word of Yahweh with its "translation".
5. The watchtower cult is responsible for many deaths and has quietly paid out countless millions of dollars in 'hush money'.
6. The watchtower cult has covered up many counts of child molestation and other abuse.
7..... I can go on and on and CAN BACK UP EVERY WORD.
Approximate "Translation":

1. Anyone who disagrees with my unsubstantiated dogma is a liar.
2. Anyone who I dislike is unforgivably evil if they make a mistake.
3. Anyone who doesn't simply yield to my dogma is brain-washed.
4. Anyone who doesn't say things the way I want them to be said is evil.
5. The watchtower never had anyone executed, but with a few logical fallacies and associations I can make it seem like they caused the death of others and that their going through completely standard legal procedures is actually subversive and corrupt activity.
6. The watchtower should risk torts arising from "defamation" to call the authorities whenever someone claims child-molestation instead of telling the persons affected that they need to call themselves because elders do not have the authority to act as policemen or investigators nor do they have jurisdiction outside of spiritual matters. If the Watchtower doesn't do this, even though it is not their responsibility to do so, they are evil and covering stuff up.
7. Hopefully if I sound convincing enough and assertive, nobody will actually make me prove my points, because I can't prove anything out of my own knowledge and need copy and paste websites to hold my hand.

I assure you every man made in God's image with his perceptive faculties in working order would want to (talking in a fleshly way) murder any child molester. However, we are sometimes held back from seeing proper justice because the individuals involved and the law of Caesar interfere. While we wait for the one who will repay to all what they are due, we are bound to the authorities that he lets exist.
Student

Oregon City, OR

#34617 May 21, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
As you are unable to read (the JW cult loves uneducated brainwashees) I see no reason to reply.
When/if you learn to read then go over this again.
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Listening and Doing
I never claimed to be a professor in theology. But I am neither uneducated nor brainwashed.

Do you know that Jesus’ apostles were ordinary men, but God made them wise in spiritual matters, so Jehovah has made ordinary people wise today.(Isaiah 50:4; 59:21)

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#34618 May 21, 2013
ServantOfWisdom wrote:
<quoted text>
Officially studied Philosophy, World Religions, Jewish Theology, Origins of Christianity, a half credit in Old Testament, and am slowly learning Greek alone. That, aside from what I studied and continue to study as a JW and on my own time. So not enough credits for a degree, but certainly enough to qualify as a "scholar" and to have met plenty of people who are currently progressing secularly in these fields.
What about you? Social studies in high school? LOL.
No, you clearly know more than that.
For example, you must have read hundreds of copy and paste websites. You can probably get a doctorate by writing a thesis on the many faces of poorly written apostate websites. heh.

Masters degree and working on my PhD in Clinical Psychology.

I would not normally consider anyone with less than a PhD to be a "scholar" in a field. Though I suppose someone with an masters degree and x number of years of experience could qualify.

I have read AT LEAST a couple of hundred books on religion with early Christianity being one of my favorite topics of interest.

Some of my favorites are Ehrman, Metzger, Spong, Pagels, Borg, Crossan, Armstrong,.... to name only a few.

But I am no scholar.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#34619 May 21, 2013
ServantOfWisdom wrote:
<quoted text>
I wasn't aware you were present when the NWT was being created? Oh wait, you weren't? Oh then you must be able to seer into the past with some device that bends light waves, obviously! Oh wait, you don't have that either? Are you psychic? No? Ah, so in other words, you are touting more information from bogus copy and paste websites -- because the reality is, no one can say for certain who contributed to the NWT and how extensive or limited the group was.
People like you are part of the reason atheists exist. People who think they know truth but really they either made it up on the spot or someone else fabricated it, and they preach it like absolute truth. There's no shame in admitting that you don't know who made the NWT, but instead you need to make unsubstantiated claims about it to further your agenda.
Bring back empirical evidence that you know exactly who made the NWT, and I will eat my words. But you can't, Dogen, because you don't think for yourself. I figure I'm speaking to a conglomerate of copy and paste websites made by embittered sub-par authors who lacked the will or skill to prove the majority of their claims. You speak as though we do not think for yourself despite your inability to credibly assert anything in your own name.
<quoted text>
Dogen, since I know you probably do not belong to any academic circles, you don't know what academic circles think about it. Allow me to enlighten you: There are many with mixed, but generally leaning to favorable, reviews. Most of them agree that it is a fairly accurate translation and generally abides more to the original language than do most translations. The main points they make against it are the use of Jehovah in the New Testament and they rarely complain about the Old Testament translation at all.
I don't doubt a lot of ignorant religious circles dislike the NWT, but I avoid associating with the ignorant for extended periods of time -- I prefer not to be contaminated. On that note, I should probably take a break from your post pretty soon. But before I do, I reiterate my previous post that if you are ever in the mood to discuss theology using interlinears only (since I know you cannot use the original languages, and my understanding of it is still lacking and uses mainly modern pronunciation) I would be happy to do so. No copy and paste websites, or quotes to other articles -- just us and the biblical manuscripts.

You are getting all your information from JW cult bots.

Look on any site that is not clearly biased and you will find what I am saying to be true.
pen

Maysville, MO

#34620 May 21, 2013

The history of the NWT is found with the history of all Protestant Bibles following the Reformation when the preserved Greek NT came west after the fall of Constantinople in 1453.
http://conservapedia.com/Geneva_Bible#The_Fir...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byzantine_text-t...
http://youtu.be/V8C-Dl7VpRQ

The Forbidden Book: History of the Bible
http://youtu.be/6uFgKlnEJus

Battle of the Bibles
http://youtu.be/tNv-zzpIwBs

Changing the Word
http://youtu.be/RqBEuxGY7DI

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#34621 May 21, 2013
ServantOfWisdom wrote:
<quoted text>
Haha, sure you do, buddy.
<quoted text>
That's so sad, because it must mean that when you follow Jesus' command of actively trying to make disciples by visiting public areas and the like you have no success. After all, you *must* be following Jesus' words on this, right? For starters, maybe you'd have an easier time if you learned Spanish to talk to the locals. To the Jews a Jew, to the Souther Americans a Southern American, right?
<quoted text>
The Irony is painful:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Is that a direct quote? It said exactly what you put there? It said that it was "probably Yahweh"?
I call bluff. Prove it. Funny how much people complain about quote mining, and yet this.

I smell a brain-washed cult member.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#34622 May 21, 2013
ServantOfWisdom wrote:
<quoted text>
Approximate "Translation":
1. Anyone who disagrees with my unsubstantiated dogma is a liar.
2. Anyone who I dislike is unforgivably evil if they make a mistake.
3. Anyone who doesn't simply yield to my dogma is brain-washed.
4. Anyone who doesn't say things the way I want them to be said is evil.
5. The watchtower never had anyone executed, but with a few logical fallacies and associations I can make it seem like they caused the death of others and that their going through completely standard legal procedures is actually subversive and corrupt activity.
6. The watchtower should risk torts arising from "defamation" to call the authorities whenever someone claims child-molestation instead of telling the persons affected that they need to call themselves because elders do not have the authority to act as policemen or investigators nor do they have jurisdiction outside of spiritual matters. If the Watchtower doesn't do this, even though it is not their responsibility to do so, they are evil and covering stuff up.
7. Hopefully if I sound convincing enough and assertive, nobody will actually make me prove my points, because I can't prove anything out of my own knowledge and need copy and paste websites to hold my hand.
I assure you every man made in God's image with his perceptive faculties in working order would want to (talking in a fleshly way) murder any child molester. However, we are sometimes held back from seeing proper justice because the individuals involved and the law of Caesar interfere. While we wait for the one who will repay to all what they are due, we are bound to the authorities that he lets exist.

If you have any questions about what I said then just ask. Your denialism is typical of cult members. You are terrified of looking at the facts because they just might not agree with you.

Besides clarification I can provide reference to everything I say.

That "Jehovah" is a translation error is not even debatable anymore. Not only is it an error, but we understand how the error was made and why.

Now, how can your cult claim to be restoring the name of God when they don't even use the right name. Not even a close approximation! It is completely wrong.

Again, feel free to ask, if you suddenly have a bout of courage (not often seen in cult members).

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#34623 May 21, 2013
Student wrote:
<quoted text>
I never claimed to be a professor in theology. But I am neither uneducated nor brainwashed.
Do you know that Jesus’ apostles were ordinary men, but God made them wise in spiritual matters, so Jehovah has made ordinary people wise today.(Isaiah 50:4; 59:21)

There is no such thing as a "Jehovah". If God can make people wise then why has he made you foolish?

You don't have the spirit of Yahweh with you or your cult. Nothing lead by Yahweh bears poison fruit and the watchtower cult produces the most rancid fruit I have ever come across.

You are a member of a mind control cult that uses psychological manipulation to gain and maintain adherents. By that definition you are brainwashed. You are under the societies control.

Do you look for alternative explanations for things?

Do you admit when the cult is wrong?

Do you acknowledge that people have been psychologically damaged by the cult?

If your answers were 'Yes'(but not truthfully), the cult is never wrong and no one has ever been hurt by the JWs, then you are brainwashed.

Did you even look at the link I gave you that showed page after page of psychological manipulation. Not according to someones opinion! NO. IN PRINT IN THEIR OWN LITERATURE!!!!!!

Much of it has been edited out of the online literature, but the hard copies still exist and what I gave you were photocopies of ACTUAL cult propaganda!

Do you want the link again?

I thought not.
Student

Oregon City, OR

#34626 May 21, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
There is no such thing as a "Jehovah". If God can make people wise then why has he made you foolish?
You don't have the spirit of Yahweh with you or your cult. Nothing lead by Yahweh bears poison fruit and the watchtower cult produces the most rancid fruit I have ever come across.
You are a member of a mind control cult that uses psychological manipulation to gain and maintain adherents. By that definition you are brainwashed. You are under the societies control.
If your answers were 'Yes'(but not truthfully), the cult is never wrong and no one has ever been hurt by the JWs, then you are brainwashed.
Did you even look at the link I gave you that showed page after page of psychological manipulation. Not according to someones opinion! NO. IN PRINT IN THEIR OWN LITERATURE!!!!!!
Much of it has been edited out of the online literature, but the hard copies still exist and what I gave you were photocopies of ACTUAL cult propaganda!
I thought not.
If you can prove any thing you say you can from their own literature, then tell me what you can prove and from what LITERATURE OF THEIRS!! I do not get anything off the internet, because it is not always true.
Student

Oregon City, OR

#34627 May 21, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
I thought not.
I have quite a few old hard copies of our literature, so bring on your question.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#34629 May 22, 2013
yon wrote:
<quoted text>
And it's all about high mind control by means of fear and guilt.

They have many more powerful weapons than fear and guild. They have (pseudo)love and acceptance. Till you defy the cult then they are stripped away from you.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#34630 May 22, 2013
Student wrote:
<quoted text>
If you can prove any thing you say you can from their own literature, then tell me what you can prove and from what LITERATURE OF THEIRS!! I do not get anything off the internet, because it is not always true.

Much of what is on the internet IS true. Much of what the cult claims is NOT true.

http://www.watchtowerlies.com/watchtowerlies_...

Just going through the first 10 or so pages should be enough to convince any rational person.

Or are you afraid.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#34631 May 22, 2013
Student wrote:
<quoted text>I have quite a few old hard copies of our literature, so bring on your question.

See last post.

I also welcome specific questions. The more specific the question the more specifically I can reply.

Remember, your cult is not only pitted against the majority of "normal" Christians, but also against many other cults who claim to have the exact honest truth that they can absolutely prove (of course most of their claims are no better than the watchtower cults claims) and against modern science.

Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
I thought not.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 3 min June VanDerMark 596,185
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 3 min Pegdeninchina 612,608
The Christian Atheist debate 6 min Mr Wiggley 928
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 9 min River Tam 854,653
Top 10 secrets to Make Money on the Internet 9 min Pegdeninchina 1
Free Download Scripts buying and selling digita... 24 min app master 3
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 28 min I Am No One_ 444,296
More from around the web