Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple...

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#34468 May 16, 2013
Working for the Lord wrote:
<quoted text> My friend the Church of God is a false religion. The worship practices are not of the bible, along with many other false practices they have decided to use of their own desire, instead of what God commands. Degrees don't mean much when common sense isn't used. People study and receive degrees and still end up lost, as this shows me with you and your nephew. I do not say this to be rude, I say it to illustrate my point.

I just moved to the Church of God because it was vastly superior to the Church of Christ (falsely so called) in its understanding of the bible and not because it was perfect.

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#34469 May 16, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
You are making assertions you cannot support.
If you have made up your mind that is fine. The facts are that Christianity started as a Jewish sect and music has a long and highly praised history in their religious services. Your last sentence is completely unsupported based on the scriptures.
If God was thorough enough to tell the Jews how to deal with a birds nest then I think he would mention it if he hates instrumental music.
Lev 22:26-30
(similar see Deut 22:6-7)
Just deal with what is IN the bible. This is hardly a big deal if Yahweh omitted reference to it.
Ask yourself this, does God command instruments in worship in new testament worship? Stop with the old testament usage as it has nothing to do with what God commands in the new testament, why can't you understand that? God is very thorough in what he commands in worship, by telling us he wants singing only, and he doesn't need to tell you that he commands instruments when he already has told us he wants singing only, that's the reason he doesn't mention instruments in the new testamnet, get your head out of the old and into the new, as the new is the only laws that can save you. Jesus nailed the old testament to the cross.

Location hidden

#34470 May 16, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
I just moved to the Church of God because it was vastly superior to the Church of Christ (falsely so called) in its understanding of the bible and not because it was perfect.
Shows me you lack the truth because of your move from the Church of Christ to the Church of God. I urge you to go back before it's to late.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#34471 May 16, 2013
<quoted text> Ask yourself this, does God command instruments in worship in new testament worship? Stop with the old testament usage as it has nothing to do with what God commands in the new testament, why can't you understand that? God is very thorough in what he commands in worship, by telling us he wants singing only, and he doesn't need to tell you that he commands instruments when he already has told us he wants singing only, that's the reason he doesn't mention instruments in the new testamnet, get your head out of the old and into the new, as the new is the only laws that can save you. Jesus nailed the old testament to the cross.

I remember why I left the CoC now. The arrogant presumption that they knew everything about everything and that everyone else was wrong.

I don't remember God commanding his followers to be arrogant and self righteous in the NT. In fact I remember Jesus being fairly clear on what he thought of that attitude.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#34472 May 16, 2013
<quoted text> Shows me you lack the truth because of your move from the Church of Christ to the Church of God. I urge you to go back before it's to late.

No thanks. Those bitchs be crazy.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#34473 May 16, 2013
<quoted text> Not knowing the abbreviation of RCC doesn't necessarily imply a lack of knowledge, because many abbreviations are used and can become a confusing maze, just saying.

Yes. You have a point. But when combined with everything else he has said it just follows.

Location hidden

#34474 May 16, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, I consider myself to be a Historical Christian. But I am a member of the Church of God (Anderson). I do not always fully agree with them but they are very tolerant of opposing views and are very based on Christian scholarship. My nephew (a member of the same church) is currently finishing his masters degree in theology and is choosing among PhD. schools. Like me he seems to enjoy "shocking" people as to what the bible really does and does not say and what the earliest Christians actually believed and practiced.
You say the Church of God is very tolerant to those of opposing views. God doesn't care what others think when it comes to his commands, except that you obey them. If you don't agree then why would you go there? The truth can hurt,1886 and many people like yourself choose to leave instead of believing the truth because it doesn't fit the way YOU want it to. Galatians 4:17-18 16Have I now become your enemy because I am telling you the truth?

17Those false teachers are so eager to win YOUR FAVOR, but their intentions are not good

Location hidden

#34475 May 16, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
No thanks. Those bitchs be crazy.
Proverbs 23:7 For as he thinketh in his heart, so is he. Not to say we all haven't had a slip of the tongue. Musical instruments seem to be one that you disagree with, what are the others you disagree with when it comes to the CoC, and please don't say the people, because that's not a reason to leave, that's simply an excuse for you to leave. You're not there to please anyone but God, and this happens in every church. People that go to church have good and bad in them, and that isn't any different for the CoC. If you were doing your job as a christian you would of shown these people who seem to irritate you what being a christian is all about by your actions of kindness, love and tolerance to those brothers and sisters you may not approve of in their behaviour and confronting them could've been a choice to helping them to see the light on their improper ways. Leaving only hurts God and you, not them.

Location hidden

#34476 May 16, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes. You have a point. But when combined with everything else he has said it just follows.
I do understand what you're getting at, as you expect people to be bible savy and know things like this when defending their belief. I'm just giving him the benefit of the doubt, as he deserves.

Location hidden

#34478 May 16, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
I remember why I left the CoC now. The arrogant presumption that they knew everything about everything and that everyone else was wrong.
I don't remember God commanding his followers to be arrogant and self righteous in the NT. In fact I remember Jesus being fairly clear on what he thought of that attitude.
Arrogant is not allowed, but you and I their are people with a attitude that needs adjusting without a doubt.As a mature christian we know the truth and have a hugh responsibility placed on us to teach and defend the truth Yes we are an elite group of people who have been given the truth of the bible. How we got to become part of this varies, BUT DON'T GIVE IT UP. Everybody is wrong, because if their not, then their must be two God's, if so, then you and I and everybody else are doomed. There can't be two correct ways because there"s only one God, one faith, one baptism and only one hope, so I urge you to go back and do what God says.

Location hidden

#34479 May 16, 2013
yon wrote:
<quoted text>
Like not eating pork
Hey Yon hope all is well, little rain falling here. As evidence that the food regulations were abolished, the book of Acts includes an account in which the apostle Peter saw a heavenly vision of unclean animals being lowered from heaven. A voice from heaven said to Peter,“Rise, Peter, kill, and eat”(Acts 10:13). Peter responded that he did not eat unclean animals. The heavenly voice countered by saying,“What God has cleansed you must not call common”(10:15). In the immediate context, the vision was designed for Peter to understand that God was arranging for the Gospel to be preached to the Gentiles. But the interchange also manifests the fact that the regulations for clean and unclean animals had been altered so that animals that once were unclean to the Jew were now fit to eat.

In a passage that has a direct application to the eating of pork, Paul wrote to Timothy:

Now the Spirit expressly says that in latter times some will depart from the faith, giving heed to deceiving spirits and doctrines of demons, speaking lies in hypocrisy, having their own conscience seared with a hot iron, forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from foods which God created to be received with thanksgiving by those who believe and know the truth. For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving; for it is sanctified by the word of God and prayer (1 Timothy 4:1-5, emp. added).

Under the New Law of Christ, it is no longer wrong to eat animals such as pigs or catfish, since such regulations have been removed. Those who want to be accepted by God no longer have to offer up physical animal sacrifices, since Christ offered Himself on the cross as the ultimate, permanent sacrifice for sins (Hebrews 9:28).

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#34481 May 17, 2013
<quoted text> You say the Church of God is very tolerant to those of opposing views. God doesn't care what others think when it comes to his commands, except that you obey them. If you don't agree then why would you go there? The truth can hurt,1886 and many people like yourself choose to leave instead of believing the truth because it doesn't fit the way YOU want it to. Galatians 4:17-18 16Have I now become your enemy because I am telling you the truth?
17Those false teachers are so eager to win YOUR FAVOR, but their intentions are not good

First things first. No, I don't consider you my enemy by any stretch of the imagination. We are just having a debate. I personally left the CoC because their doctrines do not match up to the bible and because of their attitude, which I found to be unchristian.

The intentions of the Church leaders at my Church are generally very good. They don't claim to know everything and are always searching the word to improve their understanding.

I am very aware of the CoC-DoC split in the late 1800's. Personally my heart tells me that the Disciples had the right idea, but it was better to go rather than to continue to fight about it.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#34482 May 17, 2013
<quoted text> Proverbs 23:7 For as he thinketh in his heart, so is he. Not to say we all haven't had a slip of the tongue. Musical instruments seem to be one that you disagree with, what are the others you disagree with when it comes to the CoC, and please don't say the people, because that's not a reason to leave, that's simply an excuse for you to leave. You're not there to please anyone but God, and this happens in every church. People that go to church have good and bad in them, and that isn't any different for the CoC. If you were doing your job as a christian you would of shown these people who seem to irritate you what being a christian is all about by your actions of kindness, love and tolerance to those brothers and sisters you may not approve of in their behaviour and confronting them could've been a choice to helping them to see the light on their improper ways. Leaving only hurts God and you, not them.

I dusted off my sandals then the outcome was clear.

To give a clearer (but brief) explanation of why I left I will tell you this church was influenced by the Gainsville (Crossroads) cult. If you know church history then this will make sense to you. The pastor there knew better, but seemed powerless to stop what was going on.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#34483 May 17, 2013
<quoted text> I do understand what you're getting at, as you expect people to be bible savy and know things like this when defending their belief. I'm just giving him the benefit of the doubt, as he deserves.

Agreed.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#34484 May 17, 2013
<quoted text> Arrogant is not allowed, but you and I their are people with a attitude that needs adjusting without a doubt.As a mature christian we know the truth and have a hugh responsibility placed on us to teach and defend the truth Yes we are an elite group of people who have been given the truth of the bible. How we got to become part of this varies, BUT DON'T GIVE IT UP. Everybody is wrong, because if their not, then their must be two God's, if so, then you and I and everybody else are doomed. There can't be two correct ways because there"s only one God, one faith, one baptism and only one hope, so I urge you to go back and do what God says.

You begin by claiming arrogants is not allowed, but then proceed right down that path.

I am not God and I do not know his mind (other than what the spirit reveals) but I doubt that he will accept or reject Christians because of their particular denomination. After all, that is not what the bible says. John 11:26. While that implies more than just that, it is the bottom line.

As I remember the CoC had something of a 'check list'. Sort of amusing.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#34487 May 17, 2013
yon wrote:
<quoted text>
The mind of G-d is revealed in Scripture(Tanakh)and explained in Apostolic writings. The "continued testament."
There is NO NEW Religion.

But as human opinions differ....

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#34488 May 17, 2013
yon wrote:
The "Continuing Testament" is a continuation of the "Original." Those who have not been schooled in the "Original" cannot understand the "Continuing." And that goes for Jews.

Agreed.

Since: Mar 13

Location hidden

#34489 May 17, 2013
<quoted text>
Galatians 3:20
New Living Translation (NLT)
20 Now a mediator is helpful if more than one party must reach an agreement. But God, who is one, did not use a mediator when he gave his promise to Abraham.
Name of your bible please.
Galatians 3:20 was taken from the NIV

Most translations are available here:
http://biblehub.com/galatians/3-20.htm

I've checked all of my quotes against the more common interlinears and in some cases showed several translations in my original post. Feel free to check my quotes against interlinears or concordances and you will see that my quotes are accurate. The NLT added a phrase which is not found in the original Greek. I've looked over 4 of the most commonly used Koine manuscripts and none mention Abraham.

I repeat:

Isaiah 45:5 -
"I am Yahweh, and there is none else. Besides me, there is no God."
"I am Jehovah, and there is none else, Except Me there is no God"
"I am the LORD, and there is no other. There is no other God besides me"
"I am Yahweh, and there is no other; there is no God but Me."
"I am the LORD, and there is no other; apart from me there is no God."
Exodus 20:2, 3 -
"I am Yahweh your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage. 3 You shall have no other gods before me."
Galatians 3:20 -
"Now a mediator is not a mediator of one, but God is one."
John 17:3 - "Now this is eternal life: that they know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent."

Jehovah is the only true God, and there is no other.

Jehovah is all of the Almighty True God, and is a complete indivisible unit.

Location hidden

#34490 May 17, 2013
yon wrote:
Leviticus18:22, 20:13, homosexuality, shellfish, mixed fabrics, and not being under Old Testament Law
by Matt Slick
Leviticus says not to eat shellfish (Lev. 11:9-12), use mixed seed or fabrics (Lev. 19:19), harvest the corners of fields (Lev. 19:9), and that homosexuality is wrong (Lev. 18:22; 20:13). If homosexuality is wrong because Leviticus says so, then shouldn't we also obey the other laws about shellfish, seed, fabrics, and fields because that is in Leviticus as well? If not, then why not? Why would Christians pick and choose what parts of the Bible to follow?
First of all, not all of Leviticus is written to everyone. There were abominations that applied only to the Jews such as eating shellfish, rabbit, and pork, etc., which were things that typologically represented purity before the Lord. We know this because God says, "Speak to the sons of Israel saying..." He gives instructions to the Israelites, not to the rest of the nations.
Here is a list of instances when the occurrence of the phrase "Speak to the Sons of Israel saying..." is found in Leviticus, the book under consideration.
•Lev. 4:2, atonement for unintentional sins
•Lev. 7:23, don't eat fat from ox, sheep, or goat
•Lev. 7:29, procedures for peace offering to the Lord
•Lev. 11:2, list of animals the Israelites may eat
•Lev. 12:2, uncleanness after giving birth
•Lev. 23:24, rest on 1st day of 7th month
•Lev. 23:34, Feast of Booths on 15th day of 7th month
•Lev. 24:15, the one cursing God will bear his sin
So, we can see a host of things that dealt only with Israel.
However, there are abominations that did not apply only to Israel, but to everyone else also. Again, let's look at Leviticus.
Lev. 18:22-30, "You shall not lie with a male as one lies with a female; it is an abomination. 23 Also you shall not have intercourse with any animal to be defiled with it, nor shall any woman stand before an animal to mate with it; it is a perversion. 24 Do not defile yourselves by any of these things; for by all these the nations which I am casting out before you have become defiled 25 ‘For the land has become defiled, therefore I have visited its punishment upon it, so the land has spewed out its inhabitants. 26 But as for you, you are to keep My statutes and My judgments, and shall not do any of these abominations, neither the native, nor the alien who sojourns among you 27 (for the men of the land who have been before you have done all these abominations, and the land has become defiled); 28 so that the land may not spew you out, should you defile it, as it has spewed out the nation which has been before you. 29 ‘For whoever does any of these abominations, those persons who do so shall be cut off from among their people. 30 ‘Thus you are to keep My charge, that you do not practice any of the abominable customs which have been practiced before you, so as not to defile yourselves with them; I am the Lord your God.’"
What abominations is Lev. 18:22-30 speaking of? Contextually, chapter 17 is about blood atonement procedures, so that is for Israel, not for everyone. In Chapter 18 God says to Israel, "You shall not do what is done in the land of Egypt where you lived, nor are you to do what is done in the land of Canaan where I am bringing you," (Lev. 18:3). So, now instead of it applying only to Israel, God mentions things that are done by Egypt and the land of Canaan. What were the things those nations did? The chapter contains the following.
•Lev. 18:6-18, don't uncover the nakedness of various relatives.
•Lev. 18:19, don't have sexual relations with woman on her period
•Lev. 18:20, don't have intercourse with your neighbor's wife
•Lev. 18:21, don't offer children to Molech
•Lev. 18:22, don't lie with a male as with a female
•Lev. 18:23 don't have intercourse with animals.
So, we see there are requirements in Leviticus only for the Israelites, and there are lists of abominations spoken of that were for the non-Israelites as well.

Location hidden

#34491 May 17, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
You begin by claiming arrogants is not allowed, but then proceed right down that path.
I am not God and I do not know his mind (other than what the spirit reveals) but I doubt that he will accept or reject Christians because of their particular denomination. After all, that is not what the bible says. John 11:26. While that implies more than just that, it is the bottom line.
As I remember the CoC had something of a 'check list'. Sort of amusing.
You say what I'm doing is arrogant, I call it telling the truth. The bible is very clear what God wants, expects, commands us to do in worship. It's 2+2 =4 fact, as there can't be two or more ways. God isn't the author of confusion. God commands singing only. Does he mention in the new testament that he wants musical instruments, no, does he show anywhere in the new testament the use of musical instruments in worship, no. If he tells you he wants singing only then why do you insist he tell you he doesn't want instruments. So now let's talk about the Lord's supper. Do you take the Lord's supper every Lord's day as he commands? Does your church go according to the bible on how the church is to be set up, elders, deacons, teachers, preachers, do you have the same set up as God commands? What's your belief in speaking in tongues to God?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 2 min hojo 670,376
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 4 min ROCCO 100,669
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 14 min Jehova Witness 980,184
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 1 hr waaasssuuup 445,657
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 1 hr Sky Writer 31 184,289
What are your greatest skincare concerns? 2 hr Patricia Marie 1
Treating others with respect 17 hr UnderstandPeople 14
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) Wed Pegasus 286,455
More from around the web