Student

Imuris, Mexico

#33797 Apr 10, 2013
Be true wrote:
I don't think if you celebrate Christmas and put up a Christmas tree I'm a pagan I don't worship these things I don't pray or bow to them I read the story of Jesus birth to my family I know he wasn't born on dec 25 but I don't know when he was born but I know who I worship and honor and as far as what book or webs age I read that from are you kidding me I wouldn't put my all being on the line without doing some research
Why not do some research about Christmas? At one time, church authorities fought “tooth and nail against [the] relics of heathenism,” says the book Christmas Customs and Traditions—Their History and Significance. But in time, church leaders became more eager to fill pews than teach truth. Hence, they began to “wink at” those pagan practices. Later they embraced them.

‘What you sow you reap,’ the Bible says.(Galatians 6:7) After sowing their fields with the seeds of paganism, the churches should not be surprised that “weeds” proliferate. A celebration allegedly honoring the birth of Jesus becomes an excuse for drunkenness and revelry, the shopping mall becomes more popular than the church, families go deeply into debt buying presents, and children confuse myth with reality and Santa Claus with Jesus Christ. Yes, for good reason, God said:“Quit touching the unclean thing.”(2 Corinthians 6:17)

Jesus’ followers, held no commemoration of Christ’s birthday at all—not on December 25! And this held true until about the middle of the fourth century.

Origen, a third-century historian, wrote that “of all the holy people in the Scriptures, no one is recorded to have kept a ... birthday. It is only sinners (like Pharaoh and Herod) who make great rejoicings over the day on which they were born.”(Genesis 40:20-23; Mark 6:21-28)

According to McClintock and Strong’s Cyclopedia, Jews of Bible times “regarded birthday celebrations as parts of idolatrous worship.”

Could Christ be honored by festivals originally designed for mythical gods and idolatrous worship?

The Bible answers:“Do not become unevenly yoked with unbelievers. For ... what agreement does God’s temple have with idols?”(2 Corinthians 6:14-16) Dressing idolatrous festivals with a Christian name does not make them acquire harmony with Christ.
Student

Imuris, Mexico

#33798 Apr 10, 2013
Be true wrote:
you still haven't answered about Raymond Franz or Leo or anything else and the Bible says what it says even in your Bible in John 3:16 its the same in every Bible I've ever read and yes I do and have used the NWT to reference things and cross reference so I'm not biased don't always assume I was just wanting to know honestly how you wright all these things off you put alot into just trusting these men and that they are what they say they are why would I not research it I try to research everything that are big decisions in my life
What about Raymond Franz or whoever Leo is? I study the Scriptures, not man. Remember Judas Iscariot?(John 6:71)
Student

Imuris, Mexico

#33799 Apr 10, 2013
Be true wrote:
Student how do you explain John 14 can you explain any of these things I have asked
John 14:?
Student

Imuris, Mexico

#33800 Apr 10, 2013
simplyput wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, I know quite a bit about your JW religion. You think Jesus Christ was ' Michael the Archangle', just a good Prophet.
You slowly push Jesus Christ OUT.
Jesus was Christ earthy name, his heavenly name is Michael.

Can you prove that it is NOT?

The prefix “arch,” meaning “chief” or “principal,” implies that there is only one archangel, the chief angel; in the Scriptures,“archangel” is never found in the plural. First Thessalonians 4:16, in speaking of the preeminence of the archangel and the authority of his office, does so in reference to the resurrected Lord Jesus Christ:“The Lord himself will descend from heaven with a commanding call, with an archangel’s voice and with God’s trumpet, and those who are dead in union with Christ will rise first.”

It is, therefore, not without significance that the only name directly associated with the word “archangel” is Michael.(Jude 9)

Scriptural evidence indicates that the name Michael applied to God’s Son before he left heaven to become Jesus Christ and also after his return. Michael is the only one said to be “the archangel,” meaning “chief angel,” or “principal angel.”
The term occurs in the Bible only in the singular. This seems to imply that there is but one whom God has designated chief, or head, of the angelic host.
Student

Imuris, Mexico

#33801 Apr 10, 2013
simplyput wrote:
<quoted text>
You slowly push Jesus Christ OUT.
Jesus is the WORD.
'In the beginning was the Word , and the WORD was with GOD and the WORD --WAS God.'
Was THE God --- NOT "a" God, meaning one of many Gods----but THE GOD. Those articles THE and A, changes the meaning severly- and you ADDED that in your NWT Bible. Several places you do this .
Notice the “WORD” WAS WITH GOD? How can you be with God and also be God?

Many Greek scholars and Bible translators acknowledge that John 1:1 highlights, not the identity, but a quality of “the Word.” Says Bible translator William Barclay:“Because [the apostle John] has no definite article in front of theos it becomes a description ... John is not here identifying the Word with God. To put it very simply, he does not say that Jesus was God.”

Scholar Jason David BeDuhn likewise says:“In Greek, if you leave off the article from theos in a sentence like the one in John 1:1c, then your readers will assume you mean ‘a god.’... Its absence makes theos quite different than the definite ho theos, as different as ‘a god’ is from ‘God’ in English.”

BeDuhn adds:“In John 1:1, the Word is not the one-and-only God, but is a god, or divine being.” Or to put it in the words of Joseph Henry Thayer, a scholar who worked on the American Standard Version:“The Logos [or, Word] was divine, not the divine Being himself.”
Expert in all Things

Cottonwood, CA

#33802 Apr 10, 2013
Student wrote:
<quoted text>
Many Greek scholars and Bible translators acknowledge that John 1:1 highlights, not the identity, but a quality of “the Word.” Says Bible translator William Barclay:“Because [the apostle John] has no definite article in front of theos it becomes a description ... John is not here identifying the Word with God. To put it very simply, he does not say that Jesus was God.”
Scholar Jason David BeDuhn likewise says:“In Greek, if you leave off the article from theos in a sentence like the one in John 1:1c, then your readers will assume you mean ‘a god.’... Its absence makes theos quite different than the definite ho theos, as different as ‘a god’ is from ‘God’ in English.”
BeDuhn adds:“In John 1:1, the Word is not the one-and-only God, but is a god, or divine being.” Or to put it in the words of Joseph Henry Thayer, a scholar who worked on the American Standard Version:“The Logos [or, Word] was divine, not the divine Being himself.”
That is exactly what the Watchtower said in the Jan 1975 issue, however, in March of that same year they removed the definite article, are you aware of that?

Do you know what secular scholar they misquoted to support that view?
simplyput

Aurora, CO

#33803 Apr 10, 2013
Student wrote:
<quoted text>
Jesus was Christ earthy name, his heavenly name is Michael.
Can you prove that it is NOT?
The prefix “arch,” meaning “chief” or “principal,” implies that there is only one archangel, the chief angel; in the Scriptures,“archangel” is never found in the plural. First Thessalonians 4:16, in speaking of the preeminence of the archangel and the authority of his office, does so in reference to the resurrected Lord Jesus Christ:“The Lord himself will descend from heaven with a commanding call, with an archangel’s voice and with God’s trumpet, and those who are dead in union with Christ will rise first.”
It is, therefore, not without significance that the only name directly associated with the word “archangel” is Michael.(Jude 9)
Scriptural evidence indicates that the name Michael applied to God’s Son before he left heaven to become Jesus Christ and also after his return. Michael is the only one said to be “the archangel,” meaning “chief angel,” or “principal angel.”
The term occurs in the Bible only in the singular. This seems to imply that there is but one whom God has designated chief, or head, of the angelic host.
No this is not true. God is not a God of confusion.

God the Father, God the Son , and God the Holy Spirit and these 3 are ONE.

Three different entities, but as ONE.

Jesus was born of a Virgin. Do you believe this?
simplyput

Aurora, CO

#33804 Apr 10, 2013
Expert in all Things wrote:
<quoted text>
That is exactly what the Watchtower said in the Jan 1975 issue, however, in March of that same year they removed the definite article, are you aware of that?
This is true.
simplyput

Aurora, CO

#33805 Apr 10, 2013
Student wrote:
<quoted text>
If you introduced your earthly father or Dad to someone would you say 'this is "A" Dad of mine" or would you say this is THE Dad.

How much more respect our Heavenly Father has---This is THE Heavenly Father--not "A"---There is not more than one Heavenly Father---just ONE.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#33806 Apr 10, 2013
He didn't say that there are multiple Heavenly Fathers,
simplyput

Aurora, CO

#33808 Apr 10, 2013
Brainiac2 wrote:
He didn't say that there are multiple Heavenly Fathers,
If you write it as "A" God, then you are implying that there is more than ONE God. It changes the meaning of the scripture.
cherryflower

Park Forest, IL

#33809 Apr 10, 2013
i hav a questions for a jehovah witness i learing adout it and it really helpful 2 know about God but what are the sign of the ladt days?
Be true

Lawrenceville, GA

#33810 Apr 10, 2013
John 14 the whole chapter if God is not working through jesus how do explain how can he forgive sins how can he raise the dead what exactly was Jesus saying in John 14
Be true

Lawrenceville, GA

#33811 Apr 10, 2013
Leo Greenless he was a member of the GB who was removed and sent to Canada congregation because he was molesting boys it was covered up Raymond Franz nephew of Frank Franz Writer researcher GB left out of guilt raised 3rd generation JW over 40 years and left with a broken heart and was unjustly disfellowshipped. for telling the truth and list goes on and on you wright all this off to apostates , lies really
Be true

Lawrenceville, GA

#33812 Apr 10, 2013
These are some of the things keeping me from being one I'm interested in what keeps you one you don't have to have this organization to be saved or have god or any church for that matter
Be true

Lawrenceville, GA

#33813 Apr 10, 2013
Basically is he not saying in the 14th chapter of John that him and god are one ?
simplyput

Aurora, CO

#33814 Apr 10, 2013
The Watch Tower is the JW's Bible. It is full of lies and decieving their congregation.

They all bring their Watch Tower like you would a Bible to their speeches (what we call Sermons)
They all answer from the WT--not the Bible.

They show half scriptures not whole scriptures or whole chapters.
Student

Imuris, Mexico

#33815 Apr 10, 2013
Expert in all Things wrote:
<quoted text>
So you’re an Expert in All Things, and yet you do not have any understanding of what you read? I have found both Watchtower articles for you to read again.
Watchtower 1/15/1975, p. 63-
As for the reference to the Word’s ‘being a god,’ it does not disagree with the statement at Deuteronomy 32:39. Why not? Because the “Word” does not stand in opposition to Jehovah nor is he a rival, as was the case with the false gods. Then, too, in the phrase rendered “the Word was a god,” the term “god” is a predicate noun that describes “the Word.” Says the noted scholar Westcott, coproducer of the famous Westcott and Hort Greek text of the Christian Scriptures:“It describes the nature of the Word and does not identify His Person.” In view of the descriptive nature of the predicate noun for “god” in the original Greek, An American Translation renders John 1:1:“The Word was divine.” The New World Translation, however, retains the predicate noun and indicates the significance of the omission of the definite article by using the indefinite article.

Being God’s firstborn Son,“the Word” could rightly be described as a “god” or powerful one, even as are God’s other angelic sons at Psalm 8:5.(Compare Hebrews 2:6-8.) But neither the firstborn Son nor the other faithful angelic sons of God stand in opposition to their Creator, or try to equal him or substitute for him, as do false gods. They all recognize that worship is properly directed to Jehovah God alone.—Phil. 2:5, 6; Rev. 19:10.

Cont...
Student

Imuris, Mexico

#33816 Apr 10, 2013
Watchtower 3/15/1975, ps.-173-176

A Grand Spokesman—Who Is He?

A GRAND spokesman exists in the universe. He has tremendous power and authority. Your recognizing his position can lead to your enjoying an eternal future. Who is this spokesman?

The apostle John introduced him in the opening words of his Gospel. John called this one, who had become the man Jesus Christ,“the Word”(Greek, lógos). The apostle wrote:“In the beginning was the Word [ho lógos], and the Word was with God [tòn theón, accusative case of ho theòs], and the Word was God [theòs].”—John 1:1, Revised Standard Version.

Does this mean that the “Word” is the Almighty God, that he is the “second person” of Christendom’s Trinity? That is what millions of people believe. Is this what you have been taught? Do you know on what this belief is based?

Consider a comment made in the Encyclopædia Britannica (1974 edition, Micropædia, Vol. VI, p. 302):“The identification of Jesus with the logos, which is implicitly stated in various places in the New Testament but very specifically in the Fourth Gospel, was further developed in the early church but more on the basis of Greek philosophical ideas than on Old Testament motifs.[Italics ours]”

Notice that Greek philosophy provided a basis for ideas about the logos or “Word.” Might this not raise questions as to the correctness of common beliefs about Jesus Christ?—Col. 2:8.

Our getting to know the truth about the “Word” is not a matter of mere academic interest. It is something that has a bearing on our everlasting future. This is clear from Jesus’ words:“Eternal life means knowing you as the only true God, and knowing Jesus your messenger as Christ.”(John 17:3, An American Translation) Such knowing of God and Christ means knowing them as persons and enjoying a good relationship with them. Clearly, one who has a distorted view of Jesus’ identity and position in relation to his Father would know neither the Father nor the Son. With interest, then, we consider just what the Bible, not Greek philosophy, reveals about the identity of “the Word.”

Cont...
Student

Imuris, Mexico

#33817 Apr 10, 2013
IN WHAT SENSE GOD?
John 1:1 says that the “Word was with God.” That statement indicates that two persons are involved—the Word and God. In what sense, then, is the Word “God”? The answer to this question becomes clear when we consider the way the term “God” is used in the Bible.

Psalm 8:5 says:“You [Jehovah] also proceeded to make him [man] a little less than godlike ones.” In this case the expression “godlike ones” translates the Hebrew word ’elo•him&#8242;, which, depending upon the context, signifies “gods” or “God.” The ones here called “gods” are angels, because, when quoted at Hebrews 2:7, Psalm 8:5 reads:“You made him a little lower than angels.” The term “god” is even applied to men, as, for example, at Psalm 82:1-6, which refers to human judges who failed to execute justice as “gods.” Such references to angels and humans as “gods” pointed to their being (or their considering themselves to be)“mighty ones.” Also, angels were God’s representatives, and therefore humans spoke to them and of them as “God.”—Judg. 13:21, 22.

In view of such use of the word “God,” is the term not rightly applied to God’s firstborn Son? Surely, for this Son is indeed a “mighty one” as well as being God’s representative.(John 17:8) So when John 1:1 refers to Jesus as “God,” there really is no basis for concluding that he is the “second person” of a triune God. The text itself does not say anything like that. The word “God” in this application to the “Word” simply calls attention to that one’s divine nature, his being Godlike, a mighty one, during his prehuman existence. This is evident from the omission in the original Greek text of the definite article before “God” in the phrase “the Word was God.” As Greek scholar Westcott states:“It is necessarily without the article [the•ós not ho the•ós] inasmuch as it describes the nature of the Word and does not identify His Person.”—Quoted from page 116 of An Idiom Book of New Testament Greek, by Professor C. F. D. Moule, 1963 reprint.

Cont...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 13 min Chris Clearwater 173,691
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 18 min truth 542,665
Appjoy invite code 23 min Matt 73
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 28 min It aint necessari... 739,679
Should Black People in the USA Leave America an... (May '13) 33 min Tony17 577
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 49 min KiMare 227,562
poppyseeddreams cust service 51 min Commander Bunny 5
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 2 hr MUQ1 259,549
Sims 4 Key Generator (Oct '13) 17 hr Joana 150

Top Stories People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••