modest apparel

Tempe, AZ

#7420 Jul 2, 2014
We point out the fact that there was a similarity in clothing. But, I hasten also to point out to you the fact, there was exclusively a man's clothing. There was something that was exclusively a woman's clothing. God said they shall not interchange those things. In other words, God said, I want you to be able to visibly tell the male from the female of the species. We should appear to be, He's saying, the sex that we are, by the way that we dress. Again, I repeat, the world does not have to carry around an x-ray to see who you are. God doesn't intend that. In fact, He's oppose to it. You talk about a strong prohibition that he handed down to Israel, you listen to that! "The woman shall not wear that which pertains to a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment. For all that do so are an abomination to the Lord your God." That's a strong prohibition!
My question: Why that strong prohibition? We are not told right here, in that verse, except what's evident. I purpose, and you've got to take that, in the setting. It's given in verses 9 and 12, with some other things that He mentions here. I still think, as I said about two years ago, as we were studying a similar subject, at least in this respect of Christians marrying those that are unbelievers, not Christians, that the principle of 2 Corinthians 6, winds its way back and is based on an ancient principle of separation that God has required of his people in every age of time. I do know this, Israel was to be unlike those around them, and their daily activities were to constantly remind them, you are not the same as those other people. There was to be no unisex situation. There was to be no exchanging of garments. It was a strike at transvestism. Every authority I considered still said the strike was mainly against homosexuality and such is sin! Even the attempt has been made to elevate this thing to a degree of respectability. It is sin in God's sight! Wearing the clothing of the opposite sex labeled one and placed an insignia upon him. God said, I don't want my people in that place.
Now, you know, that donning certain apparel is to appear effeminate. We know that. Let me mention the word effeminate. It means soft or soft to touch. It is used of raiment. In Matthew 11 it talks about John the Baptist. You remember, it talks of his clothing. It wasn't the soft kind that may be found in King's houses. Then, in a metaphorical sense, in 1 Corinthians 6:9 listen to the company the thing is found in: "Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind..."
modest apparel

Tempe, AZ

#7421 Jul 2, 2014
God absolutely insists we will not have this thing! We just won't. Let me point out to you that in Deut. 22:5 this thing of exchanging was in God's sight abomination. The word abomination simply means an object of great disgust! I can think of a lot of words, but when I say I am disgusted that's pretty strong. God said, I am disgusted with that kind of thing. It was highly detestable in God's sight. He promises that they who work abomination in Revelation 21:27 shall be forbidden entrance into that holy city.
I realize that what I quoted to you in Deuteronomy 22 — that's the Old Testament. But, I just want to raise this one question, as long as I can remember, we talk about the Patriarchal, the Mosaic, and the Christian age. Has God ever lowered a standard? People, he has raised a lot of them! But, has He ever decided that something that was an absolute disgust, highly detestable, then there would come an age in which that thing doesn't make any difference to Him... that it's all right now? My conclusion would be that men should be very much afraid of putting on a woman's clothing. I mean not just afraid of the law of the land — although they may pick you up — I mean afraid of God. I would also suspect that a woman should be very much afraid of putting on a man's clothing. We might as well raise this question, because you are going to ask me. The thing is, what about women wearing pants? I'm not going to go ahead and say what about women wearing pants suits? I promise you that there won't be any difference farther on down the line. Let's just use the word as it is.
First of all, let me say, that no one has ever asked me that question. Nobody ever has. Has anybody ever asked you? Has anybody who was already wearing them, ever come up to you and asked you about them? I wonder, of the elderly sisters, have any of the younger women ever come to you and asked you about them? I wonder what your advice was. I'm not saying that to be ugly about the thing. When we deal with this situation, people, when we are talking about the world, and a person of the world came up to me, and she said, "Now look, I'm going to wear these pants or this mini-skirt," if I even answered in the situation, I would probably say, "Well, go ahead and do as you please." That's what they are going to do anyway.
The only justification I've ever heard on this thing is we say, these are better than, or more modest than, a mini-skirt. I don't think we have to be reduced to those two things. I think we can deal with modest clothing, and I simply believe this. As I said, nobody's asked me, except in the sense they asked me to give this study. If a conscientious, wholesome, godly, Christian woman, a person who wants to maintain the best possible influence, came to me and was to ask me, I would say, "No, don't!" I don't believe for a minute you can go that route. If you will sit down in your home and read these things for yourself, if you will in a prayerful attitude approach God in this matter, I don't believe that you can put them on and wear them without doubt in your mind. That doubt is bound to be there.
modest apparel

Tempe, AZ

#7422 Jul 2, 2014
Let me tell you, I have some reasons other than these. I have some objections; and here is a pretty strong one to me. I will pass it on to you for whatever it may be worth. Pants reflect the unisex movement that now exists in our world. If you think I'm dealing with something I've just made up, take a look at Compton's Encyclopedia Yearbook. They have it under no less than the heading, "The Pants-Suits Hemline Controversy," that's on page 249. Listen to what it says, and I quote, "this identification of the sexes in terms of clothes will become a thing of the past." That's current, he's talking about now. He goes on to say... please read it for yourself, he "designed identical tunic pants for father and mother and child." He labels them unisex clothing. He said, "WE WILL ERASE LINES THAT EXIST BETWEEN MALE AND FEMALE!"
Hand-in-hand with this, again, is this age old problem that I've been mentioning of homosexuality. That thing may repulse you and I hope it does. You may think I'm being a little rude with the thing. We must, however, deal with the fact that the world says,(whether we face it or not), there is your number one problem that exists. These people are simply saying, "That's our goal!" Both goals are an abomination in the sight of God. I am persuaded that men with long hair and ruffles, and women with short hair and pants, just don't fit the picture that I get when I study these things.
Let me say another thing, I am opposed to these things for this reason, they reflect the influence of the women's liberation movement. I, of course, just alienated the feelings of several thousand people over the country when I said that. That doesn't make any difference whoever you are. This movement, let me point out, highly objects to any distinction between men and women. They are out, dedicated to the proposition of erasing masculine and feminine roles. They reject: number one, that woman was made for a help meet; two, that a woman is honored as the weaker sex; three, that a woman is to be discreet, chaste, a keeper of the home, good, obedient to her husband.
I suppose that the new, so called liberation, isn't a thing in the world, but the extension of a movement back in the world war, that began to put women into slacks, with a cigarette in one hand, and a cocktail in the other hand, with curses and obscenities on her lips. I tell you, it ought to bother us! It bothers me. For such people to stand and blatantly cry, "You know, I'm free; I'm liberated in spirit; I'm liberated in body. See my mini-skirt! See my tinted aviator glasses, all our glorious splendor! See my hip-huggers, and my poor-boy sweater! See my see through blouses! I've come a long way!" And we sure have; we've come a long way! These are not anything in the world but slavish attempts to imitate the liberated look. If that's not a contradiction, I've never heard one. What I'm saying is that Christian women should want to avoid any appearance of sympathy with that sort of thing.
modest apparel

Tempe, AZ

#7423 Jul 2, 2014
May I mention this one other thing. It encourages a situation we cannot handle. I want to speak for just a moment, if you will pardon the personal reference, of a school situation. I realize we are dealing with the world. In the area in which I live there are jobs that you, as a woman wearing pants- suits, could not hold. You would not be allowed to teach. It's not my school, either, my school board saw fit to do otherwise, but there are job situations in my area, that you could not, as a woman wearing pants-suits, hold a job. I wanted to know their reason. That was pretty hard to find out from my particular vantage point. But their reason was,(I did find out they said), "We don't want our teachers looking like a bunch of men." That was their reason.
There's another school I read about, that does not allow their girls to wear pants to school. Their reason, they said, "We cannot control the situation! No way!" Let me tell you what they meant. I want to say that if you feel I am being rigid and too straight about the whole thing, once you allow this thing in your house or your life,(whatever the case may be, and it's up to you), I guarantee you, people, we are going to live to see anything under the sun that may be called pants! It begins with pants suits which may be fairly decent looking things. But, I guarantee you, if won't last long. You are going to live to see things worn that'll make you despise the day you ever started, and that I promise you! You are going to deal with things like this: "Mr. McKamie, what's a pants-suit?" Well, what is one? Pretty hard to define. You are going to deal with, "What cut are you talking about?" "How tight can they be?" "Can we cut these pants suits off and wear them as shorts?" Now deal with that one! We are going to live, people, to deal with some things we don't want to deal with. You are going to deal with it, because if that constitutes modest apparel then we can wear them to worship, can't we? We are going to deal with immodest posture, immodest habit. You are going to deal with a courser more boisterous, less feminine disposition and bearing. I guarantee it, because I've seen it happen, in that little society of the world.

--1921 McKamie Road
McGregor, TX 76657
modest apparel

Tempe, AZ

#7424 Jul 2, 2014
......I am inspired to write on this subject. I realize some, as on other important matters, pay very little attention to this plain teaching in the Word of God. However, this should cause us to teach more instead of less on the subject. I agree wholeheartedly with Bro. Don that this
applies to men as well as women, and must be heeded if we please the Father in heaven.

Notice the text: "In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefaced-ness and sobriety, not with braided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array; (and vs. 10) But (which becometh women professing godliness) with good works." In Like manner means that he wills or commands what follows, as he had commanded what went before.

Adorn is to put in order, arrange, make ready. When they come to worship, let them not spend their thoughts in adorning their bodies. MacKnight comments: "What the apostle forbids is, that immodest manner of dressing which is calculated to excite impure desires in the spectators; also, that gaudiness of dress which proceeds from vanity, and nourishes vanity; in short, that attention to dress which consumes much time, leads women to neglect the more important adorning of their minds, makes them careless of their families, and runs them into expenses greater than their husbands can afford."

Modest means well arranged, seemly, modest; in simple attire that will not attract attention. It is orderly, that is decorous, modest in a moral respect. They are to avoid conspicuous dress or showy ornaments—anything, in fact, which would be likely to arouse attention or distract the thoughts of others. Shamefacedness is a sense
of shame, modesty. Strong says: "Through the idea of downcast eyes; bashfulness towards men, modesty or awe." This would lead them to avoid everything
unbecoming in the mode of dress. Sobriety is soundness of mind, self-control, sobriety. Self-restraint; not yielding to vain impulses. It is moderation of the desires and
conduct. The well-balanced state of mind arising from habitual self-restraint.

Now notice verse 10: "But (which becometh women professing godliness) with good works." That is, good works are the only ornaments with which women professing Christianity should seek to be adorned. "But (adorn themselves) with that which becometh women professing godliness through good works."
modest apparel

Tempe, AZ

#7425 Jul 2, 2014
There we have simply what Paul teaches in these two verses about modest apparel.
Good sister, study this carefully and then be very careful to abide by it. Many
times many want to become very technical and try to argue about just how long a
dress is supposed to be or how low the neck line should be, etc. I can certainly
give you some safe advice and that is just have the length long enough that there
is no doubt and the neck line high enough that there is no doubt. In a word, just
have on apparel that leaves no doubt as to its modesty.

A sister who is desiring to save her soul, and wanting to do as nearly right as she possibly can, will certainly adorn herself where there is no doubt whatsoever. She will not be found in shorts, tight skirts, men's clothing,etc. She will be endeavoring "to make her calling and election sure."

In 1 Peter 3:3, Peter is giving instructions in adorning, and the apparel to be
worn. The word "apparel" here is the translation of the common Greek word referring
particularly to outer clothing. The purpose for clothing is for the protection of
the body and for the sake of modesty and good taste. The purpose of apparel is for
the adornment of the body. Peter is not forbidding the wearing of clothing, but the
donning of such apparel as these wives were using in an effort to win their
husbands to the Lord, clothing that the world wore, immodest, gaudy, conspicuous.

And oh, how many sisters today violate this command by being like the world in
their dress! Then, in verse 4, he teaches them to have a "meek and quiet spirit."
A "meek spirit" is one not characterized by self-will, envy, pride, presumption or
stubbornness; and a "quiet spirit" is one that is calm, tranquil, and at peace. We
are taught in 1 Tim. 2:2 to "lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and
honesty," and in 1 Thess. 4:11 "to study to be quiet." In view of this plain
teaching, how can one get a remote idea that it is pleasing to God to dress and
lead the lives that some do?

How can one lead a quiet life and dress immodestly, join in the worldly activities of the world? It certainly seems out of place, to say the least, for members of the church to be so interested in roller rinks, ice skating rinks, bowling alleys and what have you. What a shame for a church group to get together and go to such places for their entertainment, and especially on Lord's day evening after they have eaten the Lord's Supper. How can they be in that frame of mind? Many of the same ones, being aware of a singing, will never enter the doors.

Is that a meek and quiet spirit and devotion to the Lord? Yes, one
departure leads to another. I realize that man will criticize and condemn for such
teaching but just let any of us gainsay the scripture on this. May God help each of
us to resolve to live closer to the Lord and further from the world; dedicate our
souls, bodies and spirit to the Lord; live a quiet and peaceable life which is
acceptable to God.
cotton linen wool

Tempe, AZ

#7426 Jul 3, 2014
Clothes are extremely important when it comes to sweating. They can either increase or minimize perspiration. No deodorant or antiperspirant will work well for you if you are not dressed properly.

Read below to learn what you should and shouldn’t wear in order to avoid excessive sweating.

1. Avoid synthetic fabrics such as nylons, polyesters, or rayon. They have an extremely tight weave and they do not allow proper air circulation. They trap heat and they make you sweat.

2. Choose natural fabrics, such as cotton, linen, hemp, silk or wool. These are breathable materials that allow the free flow of air to your skin. They can reduce the risk of excessive sweating.

3. Wear 100% cotton undershirts or t-shirts underneath your clothes. They will absorb sweat away from your body and make it evaporate fast.

4. Wear loose clothing. Tight clothes do not allow proper air circulation.

5. Wear sport socks or socks made of natural fiber that absorb moisture. Change them twice a day if necessary.

6. Choose leather or meash canvas shoes. They won’t make your feet sweat as much as the synthetic ones.
seek God

Tempe, AZ

#7427 Jul 3, 2014
The Bliss of Waiting and Abiding

Bobby Conner

The Lifestyle of Waiting

The Lord Jesus spoke to me in a very strong tone, stating, "When it comes to seeking ME, I detest multitasking!" We cannot develop this ability to hear from the Lord unless we first learn to wait upon the Lord (see Isaiah 40:31).

This "waiting" must be experienced in times set apart in which we are alone with Him (see Psalm 46:10-11). These set-apart times must have a place within our daily life experience. Our seeking is not haphazard or hit and miss: it must be a lifestyle (see Psalm 27:8)!

The true seeking of God is a continuous seeking. It has to do with the position or attitude of our spirit being lifted toward the Lord. Our heart must be attentive to His presence, and our ears must be open to His voice. We must continuously live in an attitude of worshipful listening, hearing and heeding the direction of God's Spirit. A yielded life is essential.

He sought God in the days of Zechariah, who had understanding in the visions of God; and as long as he sought the Lord, God made him prosper. II Chronicles 26:5

The Spirit of Truth is seeking hungry-hearted saints who are desperate to hear and heed the voice of God, wholly following the Lamb of God – those who personally know Him and have received an understanding of His ways (see 1 Corinthians 2:6-7). We only come to maturity by personally knowing Him. And how do we come to know Him? By spending time with Him in His Presence our entire life takes on a new vibrant outlook (see 2 Corinthians 3:18).(Photo via Freeimages)

We must pay close attention to nourishing our soul, making sure our spirit-man is not anemic and malnourished. How do we do this? By continually abiding in the Wisdom and guidance of the Word of God! God does promise that if we seek Him, great will be our reward.

I love those who love Me, and those who seek Me diligently will find Me. Riches and honor are with Me, enduring riches and righteousness. My fruit is better than gold, yes, than fine gold, and My revenue than choice silver. I traverse the way of righteousness, in the midst of the paths of justice, that I may cause those who love Me to inherit wealth, that I may fill their treasuries. Proverbs 8:17-21
unto the LORD GOD

Tempe, AZ

#7428 Jul 3, 2014
How To Wait Upon the Lord

It is imperative that we learn how to better surrender to the Spirit of God and how to be directed by His Spirit. Our being guided by the Spirit means that we have developed an appreciation and respect for His presence. This begins by meditating in the Scriptures so that we may convey true revelation of the Word of God to those who seek to know Him. When I am studying the Scriptures, I seek to allow the Word to enter into me and me into the Word. I see myself within the setting of the event unfolding in the pages of the Word of God (see Hebrews 4:12).

Guidance by the Spirit without words is the result of an active relationship with Jesus, in which His presence abides within us and we abide in Him, "knowing" His Spirit through the deep inner perception of our spirit.

I will instruct you and teach you in the way in which you should go; I will guide you with My eye. Psalm 32:8

Two Aspects to Waiting on the Lord

There are two aspects to our waiting on the Lord:

• The first has to do with our withdrawal from all activity. Through this separation unto God, we enter into a consciousness of His presence. This consciousness can be described as an attitude of anticipation and worship. So the first step in beginning a true seeking of God is for us to set aside time in which we quietly wait to hear His knock upon the door of our spirit. The enemy of our soul will also be knocking, however. Remember, this is a very important point: The devil will always attempt to distract you with thoughts, to turn your mind away from things above (see Colossians 3:5).

• The second aspect of our waiting on the Lord is learning how to continuously abide in His presence no matter the activity at hand. This continuous abiding hinges on the first experience of withdrawal:(Photo via Pixabay)

"Therefore whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God" (I Corinthians 10:31).
separate unto LORD GOD

Tempe, AZ

#7429 Jul 3, 2014
It is possible for us to be separated unto God, "shut in" with the Lord, in the midst of activity (see Matthew 6:6). This will take time, as it does not come easily, or at once. The devil – the foe of your soul – will attempt to steal your intimacy with Jesus. He will distract and disturb you anyway he can with the goal of disrupting your seeking God.

This higher level of relationship begins with our entering our set-apart place and then waiting on the Lord during specific times, times which are set aside for this purpose. Then we can carry His presence out with us to abide in all that we do.

Never forget: True prayer is an audience with the KING!

ElijahList Prophetic Resources

Assure Your Heart of His Presence

It is reported concerning the early disciples that they were ignorant and untrained; however, it was evident that they had been with Jesus (see Acts 4:13).

Reassure your heart that God is "omnipresent." He is always with you, attentive to your every thought and feeling. Consider Jeremiah 23:24:

"'Can anyone hide himself in secret places, so I shall not see him?' says the Lord; 'Do not I fill Heaven and earth?' says the Lord."

We can encourage ourselves with the fact that the Lord is present, no matter how we may feel. This is a tremendous truth, and will greatly help us – once it captures our heart. Our remaining conscious of the fact of His presence as we wait on the Lord is like recharging a battery: It is a renewing process of His life flowing into our lives and a joining of our spirit with the Lord through faith. His presence will gradually become our delight.
clothes to be modesty

Tempe, AZ

#7431 Jul 3, 2014
Adorn is to put in order, arrange, make ready.

When they come to worship,
let them not spend their thoughts
in adorning their bodies.

MacKnight comments:

"What the apostle forbids is,
that immodest manner of
dressing which is calculated
to excite impure desires in the
spectators; also, that gaudiness
of dress which proceeds from
vanity, and nourishes vanity;
in short, that attention to dress
which consumes much time,
leads women to neglect the more
important adorning of their minds,
makes them careless of their families,
and runs them into expenses greater
than their husbands can afford."

Modest means well arranged,
seemly, modest; in simple attire
that will not attract attention.

It is orderly, that is decorous,
modest in a moral respect.

They are to avoid conspicuous
dress or showy ornaments—anything,
in fact, which would be likely
to arouse attention or distract the
thoughts of others.

Shamefacedness is a sense
of shame, modesty.

Strong says:
"Through the idea of downcast eyes;
bashfulness towards men, modesty or awe."
clothes to be modesty

Tempe, AZ

#7432 Jul 3, 2014
This would lead them to avoid everything unbecoming
in the mode of dress.

Sobriety is soundness of mind,
self-control, sobriety.

Self-restraint; not yielding to vain impulses. It is moderation of the desires and conduct.

The well-balanced state of mind arising from habitual self-restraint.

Now notice verse 10:
"But (which becometh women professing godliness)
with good works."

That is, good works are the only
ornaments with which women
professing Christianity should
seek to be adorned.

"But (adorn themselves) with that which becometh women professing godliness through good works."

There we have simply what Paul teaches in these two verses about modest apparel.

Good sister, study this carefully and then be very careful to abide by it.

Many times many want to become very technical and try to argue about just how long a dress is supposed to be or how low the neck line should be, etc.

I can certainly give you some safe advice and that is just have the length long enough that there is no doubt and the neck line high enough that there is no doubt.

In a word, just have on apparel that leaves no doubt as to its modesty.
clothes to be modesty

Tempe, AZ

#7433 Jul 3, 2014
A sister who is desiring to save her soul, and wanting to do as nearly right as she possibly can, will certainly adorn herself where there is no doubt whatsoever.

She will not be found in shorts, tight skirts, men's clothing,etc. She will be endeavoring "to make her calling and election sure."

In 1 Peter 3:3, Peter is giving instructions in adorning, and the apparel to be worn.

The word "apparel" here is the translation of the common Greek word referring particularly to outer clothing.

The purpose for clothing is for the protection of
the body and for the sake of modesty and good taste.

The purpose of apparel is for the adornment of the body.

Peter is not forbidding the wearing of clothing, but the
donning of such apparel as these wives were using in an effort to win their husbands to the Lord, clothing that the world wore, immodest, gaudy, conspicuous.

And oh, how many sisters today violate this command by being like the world in their dress!

Then, in verse 4, he teaches them to have a "meek and quiet spirit." A "meek spirit" is one not characterized by self-will, envy, pride, presumption or stubbornness; and a "quiet spirit" is one that is calm, tranquil, and at peace.

We are taught in 1 Tim. 2:2 to "lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and honesty," and in 1 Thess. 4:11 "to study to be quiet."

In view of this plain teaching, how can one get a remote idea that it is pleasing to God to dress and lead the lives that some do?

How can one lead a quiet life and dress immodestly, join in the worldly activities of the world?

It certainly seems out of place, to say the least, for members of the church to be so interested in roller rinks, ice skating rinks, bowling alleys and what have you.

What a shame for a church group to get together and go to such places for their entertainment, and especially on Lord's day evening after they have eaten the Lord's Supper.

How can they be in that frame of mind? Many of the same ones, being aware of a singing, will never enter the doors.

Is that a meek and quiet spirit and devotion to the Lord?

Yes, one departure leads to another. I realize that man will criticize and condemn for such teaching but just let any of us gainsay the scripture on this.

May God help each of us to resolve to live closer to the Lord and further from the world; dedicate our souls, bodies and spirit to the Lord; live a quiet and peaceable life which is acceptable to God.
scripture reading

Tempe, AZ

#7434 Jul 3, 2014
Shemot 6 Orthodox Jewish Bible (OJB)

6 Then Hashem said unto Moshe, Now shalt thou see what I will do to Pharaoh; for through a yad chazakah shall he let them go, and with a yad chazakah shall he drive them out of his land.
[VAEIRA]

2 And Elohim spoke unto Moshe, and said unto him, I am Hashem;

3 And I appeared unto Avraham, unto Yitzchak, and unto Ya’akov, as El Shaddai, but by My Shem Hashem I did not make Myself known to them.

4 And I have also established My brit (covenant) with them, to give them Eretz Kena’an, the land of their sojourning, wherein they sojourned.

5 And I have also heard the groaning of the Bnei Yisroel, whom the Egyptians keep in bondage; and I have remembered My brit (covenant).

6 Therefore say unto the Bnei Yisroel, I am Hashem, and I will bring you out from under the sivlot Mitzrayim, and I will free you out of their bondage, and I will redeem you with a stretched out zero’a, and with mishpatim gedolim:

7 And I will take you to Me for a people, and I will be to you Elohim; and ye shall know that I am Hashem Eloheichem, which bringeth you out from under the sivlot Mitzrayim.

8 And I will bring you in unto HaAretz, concerning the which I did lift up My hand to swear to give it to Avraham, to Yitzchak, and to Ya’akov; and I will give it to you for a morashah (heritage); I am Hashem.

9 And Moshe spoke so unto the Bnei Yisroel; but they did not listen unto Moshe because of their kotzer ruach (shortness of spirit, broken spirit), and for avodah kesheh (cruel bondage).

10 And Hashem spoke unto Moshe, saying,

11 Go in, speak unto Pharaoh Melech Mitzrayim, that he let the Bnei Yisroel go out of his land.
scripture reading

Tempe, AZ

#7435 Jul 3, 2014
Exodus 6 World English Bible (WEB)

6 Yahweh said to Moses,“Now you shall see what I will do to Pharaoh, for by a strong hand he shall let them go, and by a strong hand he shall drive them out of his land.”

2 God spoke to Moses, and said to him,“I am Yahweh; 3 and I appeared to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob, as God Almighty; but by my name Yahweh I was not known to them. 4 I have also established my covenant with them, to give them the land of Canaan, the land of their travels, in which they lived as aliens. 5 Moreover I have heard the groaning of the children of Israel, whom the Egyptians keep in bondage, and I have remembered my covenant. 6 Therefore tell the children of Israel,‘I am Yahweh, and I will bring you out from under the burdens of the Egyptians, and I will rid you out of their bondage, and I will redeem you with an outstretched arm, and with great judgments: 7 and I will take you to me for a people, and I will be to you a God; and you shall know that I am Yahweh your God, who brings you out from under the burdens of the Egyptians. 8 I will bring you into the land which I swore to give to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob; and I will give it to you for a heritage: I am Yahweh.’”

9 Moses spoke so to the children of Israel, but they didn’t listen to Moses for anguish of spirit, and for cruel bondage.

10 Yahweh spoke to Moses, saying, 11 “Go in, speak to Pharaoh king of Egypt, that he let the children of Israel go out of his land.”

12 Moses spoke before Yahweh, saying,“Behold, the children of Israel haven’t listened to me. How then shall Pharaoh listen to me, who am of uncircumcised lips?” 13 Yahweh spoke to Moses and to Aaron, and gave them a command to the children of Israel, and to Pharaoh king of Egypt, to bring the children of Israel out of the land of Egypt.
scripture reading

Tempe, AZ

#7436 Jul 3, 2014
Matthew 5 New Living Translation (NLT)

The Sermon on the Mount

5 One day as he saw the crowds gathering, Jesus went up on the mountainside and sat down. His disciples gathered around him, 2 and he began to teach them.
The Beatitudes

3 “God blesses those who are poor and realize their need for him,[a] for the Kingdom of Heaven is theirs.

4 God blesses those who mourn,
for they will be comforted.

5 God blesses those who are humble,
for they will inherit the whole earth.

6 God blesses those who hunger and thirst for justice,[b]
for they will be satisfied.

7 God blesses those who are merciful,
for they will be shown mercy.

8 God blesses those whose hearts are pure,
for they will see God.

9 God blesses those who work for peace,
for they will be called the children of God.

10 God blesses those who are persecuted for doing right, for the Kingdom of Heaven is theirs.

11 “God blesses you when people mock you and persecute you and lie about you and say all sorts of evil things against you because you are my followers. 12 Be happy about it! Be very glad! For a great reward awaits you in heaven. And remember, the ancient prophets were persecuted in the same way.
scripture reading

Tempe, AZ

#7437 Jul 3, 2014
Matthew 5 Easy-to-Read Version (ERV)

Jesus Teaches the People

5 When Jesus saw the crowds of people there, he went up on a hill and sat down. His followers came and sat next to him. 2 Then Jesus began teaching the people. He said,

3 “Great blessings belong to those who know they are spiritually in need.[a] God’s kingdom belongs to them.

4 Great blessings belong to those who are sad now.
God will comfort them.

5 Great blessings belong to those who are humble.
They will be given the land God promised.[b]

6 Great blessings belong to those who want to do right more than anything else.[c] God will fully satisfy them.

7 Great blessings belong to those who show mercy to others. Mercy will be given to them.

8 Great blessings belong to those whose thoughts are pure. They will be with God.

9 Great blessings belong to those who work to bring peace. God will call them his sons and daughters.

10 Great blessings belong to those who suffer persecution for doing what is right. God’s kingdom belongs to them.

11 “People will insult you and hurt you. They will lie and say all kinds of evil things about you because you follow me. But when they do that, know that great blessings belong to you. 12 Be happy about it. Be very glad because you have a great reward waiting for you in heaven. People did these same bad things to the prophets who lived before you.
scripture reading

Tempe, AZ

#7438 Jul 3, 2014
11 “How blessed you are when people insult you and persecute you and tell all kinds of vicious lies about you because you follow me! 12 Rejoice, be glad, because your reward in heaven is great — they persecuted the prophets before you in the same way.

13 “You are salt for the Land. But if salt becomes tasteless, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything except being thrown out for people to trample on.

14 “You are light for the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. 15 Likewise, when people light a lamp, they don’t cover it with a bowl but put it on a lampstand, so that it shines for everyone in the house. 16 In the same way, let your light shine before people, so that they may see the good things you do and praise your Father in heaven.
scripture reading

Tempe, AZ

#7439 Jul 3, 2014
17 “Don’t think that I have come to abolish the Torah or the Prophets. I have come not to abolish but to complete.

18 Yes indeed! I tell you that until heaven and earth pass away, not so much as a yud or a stroke will pass from the Torah — not until everything that must happen has happened.

19 So whoever disobeys the least of these mitzvot and teaches others to do so will be called the least in the Kingdom of Heaven. But whoever obeys them and so teaches will be called great in the Kingdom of Heaven.

20 For I tell you that unless your righteousness is far greater than that of the Torah-teachers and P’rushim, you will certainly not enter the Kingdom of Heaven!

21 “You have heard that our fathers were told,‘Do not murder,’[b] and that anyone who commits murder will be subject to judgment.

22 But I tell you that anyone who nurses anger against his brother will be subject to judgment; that whoever calls his brother,‘You good-for-nothing!’ will be brought before the Sanhedrin; that whoever says,‘Fool!’ incurs the penalty of burning in the fire of Gei-Hinnom!
scripture reading

Tempe, AZ

#7440 Jul 3, 2014
23 So if you are offering your gift at the Temple altar and you remember there that your brother has something against you,

24 leave your gift where it is by the altar, and go, make peace with your brother. Then come back and offer your gift.

25 If someone sues you, come to terms with him quickly, while you and he are on the way to court; or he may hand you over to the judge, and the judge to the officer of the court, and you may be thrown in jail!

26 Yes indeed! I tell you, you will certainly not get out until you have paid the last penny.

27 “You have heard that our fathers were told,‘Do not commit adultery.’[c]

28 But I tell you that a man who even looks at a woman with the purpose of lusting after her has already committed adultery with her in his heart.

29 If your right eye makes you sin, gouge it out and throw it away! Better that you should lose one part of you than have your whole body thrown into Gei-Hinnom.

30 And if your right hand makes you sin, cut it off and throw it away! Better that you should lose one part of you than have your whole body thrown into Gei-Hinnom.

31 “It was said,‘Whoever divorces his wife must give her a get.’[d]

32 But I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except on the ground of fornication, makes her an adulteress; and that anyone who marries a divorcee commits adultery.

33 “Again, you have heard that our fathers were told,‘Do not break your oath,’ and ‘Keep your vows to Adonai.’[e]

34 But I tell you not to swear at all — not ‘by heaven,’ because it is God’s throne; 35 not ‘by the earth,’ because it is his footstool;[f] and not ‘by Yerushalayim,’ because it is the city of the Great King.[g]

36 And don’t swear by your head, because you can’t make a single hair white or black.

37 Just let your ‘Yes’ be a simple ‘Yes,’ and your ‘No’ a simple ‘No’; anything more than this has its origin in evil.

38 “You have heard that our fathers were told,‘Eye for eye and tooth for tooth.’[h]

39 But I tell you not to stand up against someone who does you wrong. On the contrary, if someone hits you on the right cheek, let him hit you on the left cheek too!

40 If someone wants to sue you for your shirt, let him have your coat as well!

41 And if a soldier forces you to carry his pack for one mile, carry it for two!

42 When someone asks you for something, give it to him; when someone wants to borrow something from you, lend it to him.

43 “You have heard that our fathers were told,‘Love your neighbor[i]— and hate your enemy.’

44 But I tell you, love your enemies! Pray for those who persecute you!

45 Then you will become children of your Father in heaven. For he makes his sun shine on good and bad people alike, and he sends rain to the righteous and the unrighteous alike.

46 What reward do you get if you love only those who love you? Why, even tax-collectors do that!

47 And if you are friendly only to your friends, are you doing anything out of the ordinary? Even the Goyim do that!

48 Therefore, be perfect, just as your Father in heaven is perfect.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 3 min Peace_Warrior 612,144
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 5 min karl44 589,466
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 7 min Aura Mytha 837,250
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 15 min Aura Mytha 271,276
MARCUS ALLEN is the REAL REASON Orenthal murder... 51 min Doctor REALITY 1
avandia 2014 (Jan '14) 52 min Landasok 346
Why are white people so hateful, emptyminded an... (Sep '10) 58 min Johnny 183
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 1 hr janeebee 4,158
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 1 hr lisw 176,826
More from around the web