Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 24, 2013

Judged:

Bowing With Everything in Your Soul

"and all that is within me, bless His holy name!"

This section will be brief, but it is important. Don't let it evade your notice.

In subjecting all that was within him to Jehovah's name, David placed the contents of his soul under the authority of God. This mighty act of submission was the key to David's relationship with God, for it positioned him to receive God's grace

Doubtless, there were good things in David's soul as well as bad things.

Faith no doubt resided in close proximity to fear, love was neighbor to lust, vision struggled against spiritual nearsightedness, righteousness walked a path through a forest of sin and regret. It is that way with all of us. Our souls are a grand hotel with many guests. Some guests are good, others aren't. But when we submit our souls to God we place all things in the soul, whether good or bad, under the authority of God

Coming under God's authority positions us to receive blessing for our strengths and cleansing for our weaknesses. However, we seem to make two mistakes with regards to these things. The first mistake we so often make is to let pride blind us to the fact that the good things in our soul need to be subjected to God.

Thus, in pride, even our strengths become stumbling blocks. We might have a 450 horsepower engine in our chariot, but without oil it will burn up. Our strengths need the grace and oil which the Father only pours out upon the humble of heart. Thus, strengths need to bow to God in worship.

The other mistake we are prone to make is trying to deal with our weaknesses and sins all ourselves. This doesn't work either. But when we bow our sins and weaknesses to God's authority the Holy Spirit can deal with them. Your 450 horsepower chariot engine may have a scummed up carburetor. If so, submission to God puts the engine in the shop where the master Mechanic can get to it to fix it.

This isn't a theory with me, and I hope it isn't with you. I am learning -- I wish I could say "I have learned" -- to submit the contents of my soul to God. Just last week my soul was terribly lazy about the things of God. But God gave me the good sense to bow my soul to him, and when I did so, laziness was also made to bow. And what a week of glorious labor I had after that. Not only was laziness dealt with but various gifts and talents were anointed to serve God's purposes. Submitting our whole soul;, with all it's contents, is the key to walking in the Spirit and rising above the lists and works of the flesh. A soul yielded to God will fulfill the righteousness of the Law. "Bless the LORD, O my soul; and all that is within me, bless His holy name!"
bowing to HOLY SPIRIT

Johor Bahru, Malaysia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 24, 2013

Judged:

Bowing to Recollect

"And forget not His benefits"

We come now to godly recall. The bowed and worshiping soul will recall benefits a proud heart forgets. The poor of this world who are rich in faith fill heaven and earth with thanksgiving; but the rich in this world who are devoid of faith are ever complaining. Why? Pride complains but humility gives thanks. "Bless the LORD, O my soul, and forget not his benefits," said David. From the position of humble adoration, David recalled the benefits God had bestowed upon him. There were five of them, maybe six. Let's look at them.
1. Forgiveness "Who forgives all your iniquities," said David. God is the God who pardons iniquities. Iniquities are the actions which spring from the inherent depravity of our human nature. But God pardons us, spares us judgment, forgives us. Without this benefit we'd be headed for hell and eternal torment; with it, we are headed to heaven and eternal blessing. When we kneel our souls before Jehovah we can be made aware of this great provision. Forgiveness is the greatest of God's gifts to men

.2. Healing "Who heals all your diseases." Yes, sometimes Christians die of disease, but more often than not they live to a ripe old age. God does heal, and we are instructed to remember that. Healing is a benefit we should recall when we worship

.3. Redemption "Who redeems your life from destruction." This benefit is really about rescue from a muddy pit. All of us have fallen into a pit of some sort at one time or another. But as with David, we have been rescued many times. We are to recall these deliverences in our worship. God is a delivering God.

4. Crowning "Who crowns you with lovingkindness and tender mercies." God's salvation and care in our lives crowns us with grace. In worship we recall the crowning kindnesses of God. A bowing, worshipful people are made mindful of their crowns.

5. Satisfaction "Who satisfies your mouth with good things." I'm sure emotions and spiritual things are comprehended here, but I am also convinced that God wants the American to remember his hamburger, the Brazilian his fejoada, the Ugandan his matoke, and so forth. When you worship, thank God for the wonderful meal you last had. It came from Him, as do all things. When we bow before God to praise Him we should remember the good things He has given us to enjoy, and we should thank Him.

6. Renewal "So that your youth is renewed like the eagle's." The old saying goes, "The way up is down." So it is with the worshiper who truly bows before God to bless Him. He will be renewed and soar like an eagle. The door to God's throne room is "knee-high."
bowing to HOLY SPIRIT

Johor Bahru, Malaysia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 24, 2013

Judged:

Conclusion

I close with a prayer. May the Lord God lead you to worship with a bowed soul, may your soul offer to God all that it contains, and may you recall the wonderful benefits God has bestowed upon you. For God's glory and your good, in Jesus' name. Amen.

© 1999 William Mikler, Emissary International. All rights reserved. Used by permission.

bow n worship to trinity

Johor Bahru, Malaysia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 24, 2013

Judged:

A Christendom which bows before Jehovah will rule the earth. David worshiped and ruled his world in his day. Let us do the same in ours .
bow to God we must

Johor Bahru, Malaysia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 24, 2013

Judged:

Why we must bow

Bowing down in worship is not optional because there is only room for one on the throne. God will not share His glory. The first of the Ten Commandments demands exclusive allegiance (Ex. 20:2-3). If we declare that He alone is worthy then we must bow. There is no other way.

In worship we declare God’s greatness. He alone is worthy of glory, honor, and praise. One day all created beings will bow before Him and acknowledge that He is King of Kings and Lord of Lords (Phil. 2:9-10). In response to this truth we bow in surrender to and adoration of our King. Our bowing may not always be physical (although it can be), but in our hearts we must bow before Him who is on the throne. Without this there is no true worship. If we do not bow, we are merely reciting words that we do not really mean. Our worship is hollow and hypocritical.

The problem is that we find it very difficult to truly bow before the throne. There is something in us (it’s called “sin”) that would rather we be the one on the throne. Submitting ourselves to the will of another just doesn’t come naturally. We like to be self-sufficient, in control, and free to do what we want, but God calls us to be dependent on Him, under His control, and ready to do whatever He calls us to do.

In order to bow before the Lord we must deal with the question of who sits on the throne. We must confess our attempts to be our own little god, and surrender the throne to the One who alone is worthy.

We each have a choice to make. In the words of the song “Will You Worship”

Will you worship, will you bow down
Before your Lord and King?
Will you love Me, will you give Me your heart, Your everything?
bow to God we must

Johor Bahru, Malaysia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 24, 2013

Most people go to church for what they can get. Some people just check out the church page in their newspaper to see who's playing where on a given Sunday, and go for what will appeal to them or "bless" them. Well, if you go to church just for what you can get out of the music, or what you can get out of the sermon, or just to get blessed, you've missed the point. The music and the sermon aren't ends in themselves, they are but stimuli to cause you to worship God. And if you have any thought less than that, you've missed the point!

We go to church to worship God, and that's done by giving, not getting. We go to offer something to Him, not to receive from Him. Granted, if we offer to Him the praise due His name, we will receive at His hand. There is blessing in giving, for the Lord is quoted as saying, "It is more blessed to give than to receive" (Acts 20:35b). So, worship is giving to God, not getting.

Do you worship when you go to church? Is that what's in your mind? Do you prepare your heart for worship? When you are getting dressed, or when you are in your car on your way to church, is your heart eager to worship God? Have you ever asked yourself these questions? Well, if you haven't, I'm going to force you to do so in these chapters. In fact, my purpose is to force you to make a decision about whether you're going to worship God or not. My objective is to make you think, first of all, about what worship is; second, whether you're doing it or not; and third, if not - will you? And if you won't, then you're going to have to deny what the Bible says. I want to force you into a corner where you have no other alternative than to do what God says, or not do what God says, and know clearly what you've done.
bow to God we must

Johor Bahru, Malaysia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 24, 2013

A. Worship Defined

What is worship? Let me give you a definition: Worship is "honor paid to a superior being." It means "to give homage, honor, reverence, respect, adoration, praise, or glory to a superior being." In Scripture, the word is used indiscriminately to refer to the homage given to idols, material things, or to the true God. So the word in itself is not a holy word, it only describes honor given to a superior being.

The common New Testament word for worship is proskuneo, which means "to kiss toward, to kiss the hand, to bow down, to prostrate oneself." The idea of worship is that one prostrates himself before a superior being with a sense of respect, awe, reverence, honor, and homage. In a Christian context, we simply apply this to God and prostrate ourselves before Him in respect and honor, paying Him the glory due His superior character.

Essentially, then, worship is giving - giving honor and respect to God. That is why we, as Christians, gather together on Sunday. We don't gather to give respect to the preacher or those in the choir, we gather to give honor to God. The sermon and the music are just to be the stimuli that create the desire in our hearts to honor Him.

So, if you attend church for what you can get,(i.e., to "get a blessing"), you've missed it! When we gather together to worship the Lord, our focus is to be on giving to Him, not getting from Him. Worship is a consuming desire to give to God, and it involves the giving of ourselves, our heart attitudes, and our possessions.
bow to God we must

Johor Bahru, Malaysia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 24, 2013

Worship Depicted

Let me illustrate this idea of worship.

1. The fragrance of the Tabernacle's incense

Exodus 30:34-38 provides a graphic illustration of worship. God gave many instructions regarding how worship was to be carried out in the Tabernacle. Many of the instructions had great symbolic value and were used as teaching tools. One of these visual aids, described in Exodus 30:34-38, gives us a wonderful insight into the area of worship:

"And the Lord said unto Moses, Take unto thee sweet spices, stacte, and onycha, and galbanum; these sweet spices with pure frankincense: of each shall there be a like weight: And thou shalt make it a perfume, a perfume after the art of the perfumer, tempered together, pure and holy [i.e., unique, separate, and untouched by any other elements]: And thou shalt beat some of it very small, and put of it before the testimony in the tabernacle of the congregation, where I will meet with thee: it shall be unto you most holy."

Now this perfume, which was actually a sweet-smelling incense, was to be used only in the Tabernacle. Why? Because it was to be holy. Verse 37 continues, "And as for the perfume which thou shalt make, ye shall not make to yourselves according to the composition thereof: it shall be unto thee holy for the Lord. Whosoever shall make like unto that, to smell thereto, shall even be cut off from his people." Now, did you know there was a perfume recipe in the Bible? It was probably the most lovely `fragrance imaginable, but God said that it could cost them their lives if they made if for themselves.

You say, "Well, what's the point?" The point is this: here was a fragrance designed to be only for God. When this incense rose to God's nostrils, it was unique to Him. This is a beautiful picture of worship, showing that worship is to be a unique, separated, sanctified, holy act that arises out of a person's heart to the very nostrils of God.
bow to God we must

Johor Bahru, Malaysia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 24, 2013

Worship Distinguished

I think a comparison of worship with ministry might help to distinguish what true worship really is. Ministry is that which comes down to us from the Father, through the Son, in the power of the Spirit, to one another in the form of spiritual gifts. Worship, on the other hand, is that which goes up from us, by the Spirit's power through the Son, to the Father. Thus, ministry is that which descends from God to us, while worship is that which ascends from us to God. And both must be in perfect balance. Unfortunately, we tend to be too ministry oriented (like Martha) and not oriented enough toward worship. We need to learn from Mary how to sit at Jesus' feet and worship Him.

Ask yourself the following questions: "Do I worship God? Is worship a priority for me? Do I faithfully and regularly attend church with a deep heart of commitment to worship God? Am I so consumed with a hungering desire to worship God that I hurry myself into the assembly of His people for the expression of worship?" Well, God seeks acceptable, true, spiritual worship, and if we're going give it to Him, we must understand what it is.
bow to God we must

Johor Bahru, Malaysia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 24, 2013

Judged:

Hebrews 13:15 - The Sacrifice of Praise
Barry Griffing

Text: By Him, therefore let us offer the sacrifice of praise to God continually;
that is, the fruit of our lips giving thanks unto His Name
Hebrews 13:15
I. By Him, Therefore

A. Because Jesus is our High Priest: Hebrews 8:1

B. Because Jesus is our sacrifice: Genesis 22:8, Ephesians 5:2

II. Therefore Let Us Offer the Sacrifice

A. Our praise sacrifice is accepted because, in Christ, we have obtained mercy to enter into the Holy of Holies: 1 Peter 2:9, 10

B. Through his blood we're made into a kingdom of priests: Revelation 5:9, 10

III. Of Praise to God

A. With our mouth: Psalm 34:1; 132:1

B. With our hands: Psalm 33:2, 3; 119:48; 47:1

C. With our posture: Psalm 135:2; 95:6; 2 Samuel 6:13, 14

Romans 12:1 states that submitting our bodies as a living sacrifice is our "reasonable worship."

IV. Continually

A. Takes a sustained burning to consume the whole burnt offering: Exodus 29:15-18; 2 Chronicles 29:28

B. In Israel, there was a continual offering through the morning and evening sacrifice. The Levites were to sing praise during their time of sacrifice: Psalm 141:2

V. That is, the Fruit of Our Lips

Not Just referring to audible praise, but the fulfilling of a vow to praise the Lord daily: Psalm 50:14; John 2:9

VI. Giving Thanks

Thankfulness is the attitude; praise is the action: Leviticus 22:29; 2 Chronicles 29:31

VII. Unto His Name

A. His name represents what He can do: I Chronicles 16:8

B. His name represents what He is like: I Chronicles 16:10

© 2005 ZionSong Ministries. All rights reserved.
bow to God we must

Johor Bahru, Malaysia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 24, 2013

The Tabernacle of David: The Church's Model for Glorious Praise
Bob Johnson
I. The prophet Amos declared that the Tabernacle of David was part of God's plan of restoration.
"In that day I will restore David's fallen tent (tabernacle). I will repair its broken places, restore its ruins and build it as it used to be, so that they may possess the remnant of Edom and all the nations that bear my name." Amos 9:11-13
II. The apostle James and the eldership of the early church interpreted this prophecy of Amos (concerning the restoration of David's Tabernacle) as being fulfilled in the church.
"...James spoke up: "Brothers listen to me. Simon has described to us how God at first showed his concern by taking from the Gentiles a people for himself. The words of the prophets are in agreement with this, as it is written:
"After this I will return and rebuild David's fallen tent (tabernacle). Its ruins I will rebuild, and I will restore it, that the remnant of men may seek the Lord, and all the Gentiles who bear my name, says the Lord, who does these things that have been known for ages. " Acts 15:13-18
III. If the Tabernacle of David finds it's fulfillment in the Church, then the worship of David's Tabernacle is a model for the Church's worship.
A. The Old Testament types and shadows point to Jesus and his church, and give us deeper insight and appreciation for God's eternal purposes. "The New is in the Old contained... the Old is in the new explained."
B. The Tabernacle of David is the major type for worship found in the Bible.
1. The worship of David's Tabernacle is based on Heaven's worship.
2. The worship of the Tabernacle of David is described in great detail in scripture. The majority of the Psalms were birthed in David's Tabernacle.
bow to God we must

Johor Bahru, Malaysia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 24, 2013

3. Even after David's time, Davidic worship reappeared in every subsequent revival mentioned in the Old Testament
a. Abijah - II Chronicles 13: 14-15
b. Asa - II Chronicles 15:12-15
c. Jehoshaphat - II Chronicles 20:18-22
d. Joash - II Chronicles 23:12-15
e. Hezekiah - II Chronicles 29: 25-30
f. Josiah - II Chronicles 35:15
g. Zerubbabel - Ezra 2:65, Ezra 3:10-13
h. Nehemiah - Nehemiah 12:27,36,45-46
C. Davidic worship was practiced by the early Church. The worship of the Psalms is encouraged by Paul (Eph. 5:19, Col. 3:16) and James (Jam. 5:13). The writer of Hebrews admonishes Christians to offer the sacrifice of praise (Heb. 13:15), a revelation received earlier by David (Ps. 51:15-16, Ps. 69:30-31).
D. Davidic worship has been part of the great revivals of Church history.
IV. The worship of David's Tabernacle (I Chronicles 15 - 16:38)
A. There was a due order (prescribed way) in which the people were to worship God (v. 13), and this order was commanded in accordance with the word of the Lord (v. 15).
B. David prepared a place for the ark ( v. 1). We are to prepare ourselves to minister to the Lord, developing our spiritual sensitivity as well as our artistic ability
C. Only the Levites were to carry the ark (v. 2); and the Levites were to sanctify themselves (v. 12). Levi means joined and speaks of loyalty. Only those who are joined to the Lord Jesus and His church should minister in worship leadership. This faithfulness to God and His church requires us to daily sanctify ourselves by putting off the works of the flesh and putting on the garments of righteousness and praise. This applies to both congregational and appointed worshippers.
D. The Levites were appointed to their place of ministry (v. 16) and submitted to skillful leadership to learn their art (v. 22). There was no haphazardness to the ministry of worship at David's Tabernacle. Once the basic spiritual requirements had been met, skilled Levites were chosen to minister in worship leadership. These Levites participated in rigorous systematic training to learn their craft and were specifically appointed to their positions. These verses underscore the necessity of a regular, disciplined rehearsal schedule for those appointed to lead in worship.
E. Later on, we see both the Levites and the congregation praising God with joyful songs (v. 16) and rejoicing (v. 25). One of the results of a heart on fire for God are expressions of exuberant praise.
© 2005 ZionSong Ministries. All rights reserved.
prophetic reading

Johor Bahru, Malaysia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 25, 2013

Prophetic Reading Explained

Reading words of prophecy aloud can bring blessing to the one who reads and to those who hear. How is such blessing brought about?

It is first of all a gift of grace. Reading is a charismatic act when done in the context of true worship, that is, when words are read aloud in spirit and truth.

A worshipful act of reading is no mere playback of recorded inspiration; prophetic reading breathes again the truth present in the text being read.

This representation is a poetic act of mimesis which resounds with the breath of life.

The reader becomes a letter of Christ written with the Spirit of the Living God when words of prophecy are processed through the whole person.

The first commandment, to love the Lord God with all one's heart, soul and mind and to love others as oneself, is to be applied to reading as much as to all things in life.

Anything less than reading with one's whole person in loving submission to God and others strangles the Spirit's flow.

Competent charismatic reading prophesies life to those ready to hear the word of the Lord.

The Christian reader is a minister of a new covenant, not of letter but of spirit.

The Spirit gives life -- this then is the criterion by which prophetic reading is judged.

Lifeless reading is a mocking impersonation of presentin the Gospel -- stillborn words sound monotonously ineffective and reflect gloomingly off veiled and captive minds of hardened hearers.

However, reading full of the Spirit is transformative -- the image of God figured in reading the word of God is set in one's imagination as an example to be followed together with others called as faithful disciples of Christ.

Faith comes from hearing and hearing by the word of Christ. Blessed is the one who reads aloud words of prophesy and blessed are those who hear.

Cordially in Christ,
Craig Tavani
prophetic reading

Johor Bahru, Malaysia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 25, 2013

King James Bible (Cambridge Ed.)

Blessed is he that readeth, and they that hear the words of this prophecy, and keep those things which are written therein: for the time is at hand.
prophetic reading

Johor Bahru, Malaysia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 25, 2013

Blessed is the one who reads aloud words of prophesy and blessed are those who hear.
hardtime in relationships

Johor Bahru, Malaysia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 25, 2013

Why do Prophetic People have a hard time in Relationships?

What would a prophetic church look like? Would the church run smoothly because everyone was listening to God? It sounds good in theory but in reality it is very challenging.

Like the Corinthian church in the first century, the Apostle Paul faced some difficult problems including disunity among the believers. First Corinthians 13, the chapter on love, was not written for weddings but for the prophetic people at Corinth to get along.

Too often people read First Corinthians 12 on spiritual gifts, skip over First Corinthians 13 and jump to First Corinthians 14 on tongues and prophecy. If First Corinthians 13-15 were a sandwich, then First Corinthians 13 is the beef and First Corinthians 12 and 14 are the slices of bread.

Too many prophetic ministries have blown up in the past for the lack of love. Prophecy without love is “noise” and “nothing.”(I Cor. 13)

The church is too quick to dismiss the prophetic because they believe it is too divisive and prone to error. Rather than throw prophecy out of the church instead increase in love and maturity.

Prophetic people are human beings who make mistakes just like everyone else and sometimes are in need of maturing.

Here are sixteen reasons why prophetic people have a difficult time. Many quotes in these areas come from some of the leading teachers in the prophetic such as John Paul Jackson, Jack Deere, Rick Joyner, Graham Cooke and many others.

1. Prophetic people usually think in “concepts” more than in “details”. Prophetic people are more right brain and while most people have been trained to be left brain thinkers. Prophetic people often hear words from God in images and ideas. Rick Joyner says that concept-oriented people and detailed oriented people often clash and sometimes question each other’s motives.

2. A critical spirit is not the gift of prophecy. Prophets too often believe they know what is right and wrong. If you want to prophesize a critical word, it is probably not prophecy, it is criticism. If your prophecy is hurting people, then you are likely being critical and not prophetic.

If we find it easy to give negative words, then we have no understanding of the grace and goodness of God.(Graham Cooke, Developing Your Prophetic Gifting p.76)

Johor Bahru, Malaysia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 25, 2013

3. Learning to live with frustration. Prophetic people must learn to deal with frustration. Frustration is when nothing happens or things get worse for the recipient after you give a prophetic word. Frustration is when others question your theology due to your prophetic gifting. Frustration is listening to strong prophetic people who are telling you five different and contrary things to do.

Frustration is an enemy to the prophetic ministry. It will always color our thinking, infect the word we have, and give us a jaundiced perspective on the life of the church. If we are to represent God’s heart and be good servants, we must learn to master our frustration.(Graham Cooke, Developing Your Prophetic Gifting, p.78)

Prophetic ministers seem to have more disappointment with God than the average person. They often see clearly how things should be or how God plans for them to be. But they have to wait in faith for a longer time because they have seen further ahead.

They are much more prone to the Proverbs 13:12 difficulty: "Hope deferred makes the heart sick." Because their expectations are typically higher, they are more deeply disappointed….

Every time Jeremiah opened his mouth he got in trouble. He was perplexed, he was ridiculed, and he wanted to quit. Nevertheless, the word of the Lord was like a fire burning within him, and he could not hold it back (Jer 20:9). Some of that pain comes with the calling.(Mike Bickle, Growing in the Prophetic, p.130).

The prophetic spirit is not worried about the timing of the prophetic word. It links with the heart of God and declares his heart. Be patient, stay with God, stay with his heart.(Wesley Chambers)
4. Learning to live with rejection. Sometimes the prophetic words may be rejected and criticized by others. The Old Testament prophets often were rejected. Rejection is a common experience for people exercising the prophetic.

Dwelling on past rejections will keep us self-centered instead of Christ centered, which will obviously cause a distortion in our vision.(Rick Joyner, The Prophetic Ministry)The Prophetic Ministry often places the prophet in extreme situations with high stakes: success or failure, acceptance or rejection, vindication or humiliation, life or death.

When great success results, victories are won and great revival takes place, the prophet usually expects leadership to appreciate his or her prophetic words and powerful performances. Yet often such leadership reacts instead as Queen Jezebel did - not only with rejection, but with threats of destruction.

Consequently the prophet may grow discouraged. Prophets reach the bottom of this pit of despair by descending steps, beginning with disappointment.

If the situation is not immediately adjusted with a proper attitude, such disappointment will lead next to discouragement, then resentment, self pity, a persecution complex, and anger.

The final step for prophets who climb down into this pit is a bitter and hard critical spirit that causes them to be a law unto themselves, with such a spirit of rejection that no one can reach them in their self delusion.(Dr Bill Hamon, Prophets Pitfalls and Principles)
Prophetic people are especially susceptible to rejection. This rejection can lead to bitterness, negativism, and self-pity – all things that make prophetic people useless for the ministry of the Holy Spirit.(Jack Deere Surprised, By the Voice of God, p.205) In rejection we must open our hearts so that the love of God can flow in.

Most prophetic people feel rejected because they do not have any relationships of worth and value" (Graham Cooke, Developing Your Prophetic Gifting, p.78)

5. Allowing past woundedness into prophecy. Too often the very thing we prophesied against is the very thing that is tripping us up in our personal life. This type of “prophecy” is dangerous for it often brings condemnation and not encouragement to others.

Johor Bahru, Malaysia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 25, 2013

If, as the prophetic person involved, we move out of a sense of frustration with events, or rejection in the ministry, then it is easier to prophesy our own opinions. Also we must ensure that we are not living with any negative influences over our own lives that can infect the prophetic word… Leaders too can be at fault in this area. There is a need to care for our prophetic people, to give them love, accurate feedback, loving kindness and a framework of discipleship (Graham Cooke - Developing Your Prophetic Gifting p.97).

Sin produces in our heart a critical, negative spirit, which makes us despise whole categories of people. But the sin we hate the most in others, we are sensitized to by our own guilt. We are measured by our own value judgments of others, and our criticisms of them reveal what we really do not know about ourselves.(John Dawson, The Sin of Unrighteous Judgment)

6. Difference between Discernment and Prophecy. I believe the confusion between discernment and prophecy is one of the most common mistakes among prophetic people. Many times prophetic people can sense the sins of others which is the gift of discernment. Discernment is not prophecy. If discernment is spoken as prophecy, this will likely cause much hurt and condemnation. Here is a great illustration I heard the other day. You discern “pornography” in someone’s life. The prophetic word is “God has a destiny of holiness in your life.”

7. Pride. The gift of prophecy can also lead one into pride, for one is tempted to believe he/she is better than others. Seeing sin should cause one to weep not feel superior. If you have the gift of prophecy, your gifting is not more important than any other gifting in the body of Christ.(I Cor. 12).

Why does God have to deal so strongly with those who are prophetic? For one thing, they are so stubborn! For another, they are more prone to pride.(Cindy Jacobs, The Voice of God, p.59)

8. Danger of Self-Promotion. Giving a prophetic word can easily lead to self-promotion where the focus shifts from the recipient being blessed to the one who is giving the prophetic word. Have you ever given a helpful prophetic word but your focus is on public acknowledgment?

Another trap into which I commonly see prophetic people fall is the desire to be awesome in ministry, to be "a prophet to the nations." This is exactly opposite of the true Spirit of prophecy (Rev 19:10). Prophecy is meant to testify to the awesomeness of Jesus, not to the prophetic ministry.(Jack Deere Surprised by the Voice of God, p.207)

Some people are attempting to build enough credibility to insure they won’t be rejected. Since building clout is so important to many prophets, there is the temptation to push hard to get credit for having accurately heard from God.(Mike Bickle, How Pastors Relate to Prophets) Prophets must take on the ministry attitude of the Spirit of Christ, which does not demand the right of self-promotion and self-preservation.(Dr Bill Hamon, Prophets Pitfalls and Principles p.49)

9. Too often pastors and prophets do not get along. Prophets want to move too fast and deal with sin now. Pastors see the whole picture and move at a much more deliberate pace. Pastors want to protect people while prophets want to blow things up. Misunderstandings between the two are common. When the pastor resists, the prophet pushes harder and a cycle of reaction is set in motion. Pastors and prophets have to give each other grace and love.

Johor Bahru, Malaysia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 25, 2013

Many prophetic people get in touch with their giftings long before they cultivate the corresponding wisdom, humility and character that is necessary to succeed in prophetic ministry. In the beginning, they may appear arrogant or pushy because of their zeal.

As years go by, their pushiness usually increases because of fear, hurt and rejection.

The average person who has been in prophetic ministry for 10 years is pretty beat up and bruised. This is especially true if the prophetic gift was active in their early years. By the time they are 40 or 59 they are often very guarded and suspicious of authority figures.(Mike Bickle, How Pastors Relate to Prophets)

10. The Church and Prophetic. Even though the Bible clearly establishes prophecy as one of the gifts, the church has forgotten and dismissed this gifting and office. The role of pastors, teachers, evangelists, and even apostles are clearly established in many church denominations. The church does not understand the role of the prophet and therefore there is a huge silence on this subject.

This silence by the church gives opportunity for others to define prophets as new age, quacks, false and/or demonic.

A modern day prophet is never seen as having any credibility but is automatically labeled a “false” prophet. Is it any wonder when people start to move in the prophetic ministry that the church automatically casts suspicion?

Prophetic people in established churches have to operate under the radar or keep quiet least other Christians label them in negative terms.

In many churches, prophetic people are not supported or empowered but often are tolerated and criticized. Sadly, too many prophetic people either leave their churches or if they constantly feel minimized and unfulfilled in their gifts.

11. Rebellion. Prophetic people need to be under authority. Without being under authority, prophetic people can too easily be lead into rebellion (witchcraft).

I believe that many prophetic people (like myself) do have problems with "rebellion". They seem to rub leaders the wrong way almost by design sometimes. And then they develop a "persecution complex" or slink off wallowing in self-pity.

Johor Bahru, Malaysia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 25, 2013

Judged:

I have done all of this and more. In times past I have found myself sitting in the "gate" like rebellious Absalom, subtly speaking words against the leadership and growing my own reputation thereby.

Rebellion is the most insidious sin, and when you begin to see how much it dominates our world, and how ingrained it is in us, it is a real eye-opener.

I have found that it is only when you have dealt with Rebellion that you can trust yourself to speak only God's word to a leader. Rebellion can greatly affect the words we bring to leaders, and yet many prophets seem to hardly know they have a problem in this area.

I can look back now and I wince at the influence of Rebellion over my words and actions in the past. But God does cleanse and heal. Often now I see the Pastor's point of view - that of a leader and responsible shepherd, when unwise prophets arrive looking for something or someone to 'target'.

So-called "prophets" like this are a curse, not a blessing. God is dealing with Rebellion now. If you can't sit under authority today, you will be a pain in the neck to tomorrow's leaders too. Deal with your rebellion now, or miss out. It's that simple. I believe a lot of problems could be caused by roaming "lone ranger prophets" in the coming move of God - even worse than today.

Tell me friend, do you have the makings of being just such a "lone ranger"??(Andrew Strom)

12. The Spirit of Control. The Jezebel (control) spirit can easily become a part of the prophetic ministry and control people through prophetic words.

Every church that embraces a prophetic ministry will have to contend with the Jezebel spirit because it mimics the prophetic gifts and callings of God. This spirit comes to destroy the prophetic gift.

Consequently, since it works covertly, its activities are extremely treacherous.(John Paul Jackson, Unmasking the Jezebel Spirit p.123)

Many prophetic folks begin to take themselves too seriously, or they love the feeling of having such influence over others.

They are tempted to make themselves look and sound more spiritual, holy and sensitive than they really are.

I encourage them to throw a cloak over their prophetic mystique and deliberately refuse to utilize it to gain favor, praise, opportunities, sympathy, trust, affection or money.

Stay impressed with God and His power without becoming impressed with themselves.(Mike Bickle, Growing in the Prophetic, p.62)

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 5,421 - 5,440 of6,779
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

529 Users are viewing the Top Stories Forum right now

Search the Top Stories Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 2 min scirocco 114,704
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 2 min Godspeakinginmydreamslol 717,222
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 4 min Dave Nelson 223,324
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 6 min who 255,777
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 11 min Godspeakinginmydreamslol 530,368
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 14 min Rider on the Storm 171,522
--ISRAEL-Gaza conflict "WILL NOT" erupt into WAR 47 min MideastReport 1
Does anyone do incest sex with your sister (Apr '12) 10 hr aalw 110
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••